Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Reinstalled vintage story after a long break, but I suspect I had more mods installed than prospectorinfo. Anyone got some cool rear end essentials they want to recommend?

https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/1060
BackpackPackPlus, smooths out backpack progression and adds giant endgame ones.

https://mods.vintagestory.at/theshovelerrises
Shoveler Rises increases the durability of metal shoves so they don't feel like a waste to craft.

https://mods.vintagestory.at/hangingoillamps
Hanging oil lamps just look nice.

https://mods.vintagestory.at/sticksfromfirewood
You can knife firewood into sticks.

https://mods.vintagestory.at/helvehammerext
Lets helve hammers work more recipes.

https://mods.vintagestory.at/stonepiles
Store your stone pucks in piles like firewood or peat.

https://mods.vintagestory.at/apswolftweaks
Wolves aren't such assholes.

https://mods.vintagestory.at/amr
Anvil metal recovery returns unused voxels from blacksmithing as metal bits to your inventory that you can smelt down again, also makes tools break into junk that you can chisel into some quantity of returned metal bits so you can recycle a little bit.

https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/430
Minor QoL tweaks to bloomeries (they drop all their bricks so you're not in a constant cycle of gathering fire clay and making bricks) and skeps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

https://mods.vintagestory.at/cellardoor
Craftable cellar doors.

https://mods.vintagestory.at/vtp
Makes unfarmed terra preta give off a floating particle effect, making it significantly more visible from a distance.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Perfect, thanks to you both!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I just started playing Dysmantle and it's a fun survival-lite type game. The gameplay cycle is basically smashing objects with your crowbar to get enough materials to upgrade your crowbar to smash tougher objects. There's no hunger/thirst mechanic, but there is base building and crafting.

I'm enjoying it a lot more than Icarus.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
I'm gonna start a VS game soon so thanks from me too. Although one or two look like they might be incompatible with the current game version

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

To head things off at the pass, we do have a VS thread if you need specific tips or mod recommendations.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4012729&pagenumber=8&perpage=40

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

CuddleCryptid posted:

To head things off at the pass, we do have a VS thread if you need specific tips or mod recommendations.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4012729&pagenumber=8&perpage=40

Well gently caress! Nice, thanks!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Canuckistan posted:

I just started playing Dysmantle and it's a fun survival-lite type game. The gameplay cycle is basically smashing objects with your crowbar to get enough materials to upgrade your crowbar to smash tougher objects. There's no hunger/thirst mechanic, but there is base building and crafting.

I mentioned in the Android games thread that this was out on mobile and I picked it up recently and am also enjoying it a lot so far. I'm still early on but I like the almost katamari-esque gameplay in that as you power up you can break apart bigger and better things so the world slowly starts to empty out as I power up my crowbar. Plays well on the phone too, although works a lot better with a controller.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Vib Rib posted:

I just think it's very funny that Icarus was such a boring, bland piece of crap after they spent so much time and money hyping it up.
All that and it's just "okay now build your stick base that looks like every other stick base in every other survival game".

It was pretty clear once you got 8-10 hours into it that the devs didn’t really understand how to do things like “game balance” or “make an entertaining game” vs just copy-pasting stupid survival game mechanics together in an incoherent mess. I stopped playing once I realized that I could make a tier 2 bow and some clothes and then just absolutely trash 95% of the missions once my bow skills were maxed

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

On a certain level I enjoyed Dysmantle quite a bit as a zen experience, but man the grind just gets kinda nuts late on. The story is also... not good.

I will spoil this for y'all so you aren't wasting your time when you finally find it trying to figure out how to get in: there is a locked door in an end game area you will find. This isn't really explained but to open it, you must get to that point in the game without dying. Yes, including not using your handy suicide teleport pills that return you to your last campfire.

There are a lot of stupid ways to die, but there are also some decently tough required combat sections that you will probably die to on your first playthrough. So don't worry about that door and just enjoy breaking the world apart.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
Does green hell have a horror element to it?
It gives me big The Forest vibes, which spooked me out too much. Yeah sure thing pal like I'm going in that cave

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I'm enjoying Zero Sievert, but I'm having trouble even getting base mods going. I'm still in the forest, have a few quests done, but combat with humans is nearly always fatal. At best, it's 50/50 when facing a single hunter and takes a miracle (usually followed by a catastrophe on my way to the extraction zone) to clear a bandit group. Armor is probably the missing piece but I can't afford it yet, especially with the buffer of funds needed to buy food and ammo between runs. It seems like people are getting through this period so I'm guessing there's a difficulty hump at the beginning that evens out as you collect equipment. Does anyone have any tips or resources for getting a good game going? I already learned that a submachine start is hard mode.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
- you can do a lot of successful runs just scavenging the outskirts of the forest to start with. Just look for hidden stashes, and corpses from inter-faction combat (marked by crows)
- when engaging humans, abuse the right -click view distance bonus. Early on, you can get a greater shooting distance than all but mosin equipped bandits
- avoid hunters early. They have armor and will erase your run quick
- try and not run encumbered, until you are definitely near the escape zone.
-Use running to get away and bandage. Hide behind rocks to heal up
- non-shooting mobs can offer early cash, dropping pelts and tentacles, while posing lower threat.
- prioritize quest items, high-dollar electronics for sale, and guns for pickup. Feel free to leave behind anything you are t looking for NOW.
- always take all drinks, even if you have to quaff them on the spot. Generally speaking, always take or eat food too, and don’t hoard it, use it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

To add on to the above

- Condition isn't really that big of a deal on bolt action/single shot weapons because it mainly causes jams, which is a problem when you leap around a corner and open fire at point blank with an SMG but less so when you can just click a few more times from half a screen over. Don't hesitate to take a Mosin off someone's corpse.

- Similarly, if you are having trouble with ammo then use a weapon that has very common ammo, like thr 7.62. Don't be afraid to spray, but try to do short bursts at range and keep moving.

- Most bandits go down in a few hits if you can hit them. Exploiting line of sight can allow you to get close, but that's high risk if you're not careful.

But also

- You don't lose anything for dying other than time so if you want to fight for goods and glory then you can beeline to the sawmill when you first load into the forest and light it up before you spend time looting when you might just die anyways.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

It is really an early game hump, once you get a better backpack and armor that can stop a slingshot you'll find more confidence. I'll add a few points to what everyone has said:

Don't get greedy! Don't get overconfident! If you have some good loot, or completed a troublesome quest, just gtfo and save your progress. I've extracted a minute into the raid, just because I got lucky and found what I needed.

While armor weighs you down, equipped guns don't. If you're able to do raids with only one gun, your 2nd slot is free real estate to get a gun (and loaded magazine) out! Since AKs will sell for at least a couple grand, this is a great way to make some cash.

Pay attention to dropped guns and what they've come with. A foregrip, better stock, or sight can add a decent chunk of change to the sale price. Or, early on, can be a nice bonus once swapped onto your gun.

You really shouldn't have to be buying much ammo, using 7.62 or 5.45x39 is the key here, cause bandits and hunters will drop it in loads. Bandits more so in later maps (maybe their loadouts scale with your level? I swear they have more AKs now than PPSH's and Skorpions in my game), and Bandits are so lightly armored that ammo type doesn't really matter. 2 shots from an MKM even firing HP ammo will drop them.

Use line of sight to your advantage, don't be afraid to disengage and approach from another angle. Use and abuse right-click long range shots. Spray and pray often isn't the way, but keep your bursts short if you do.

Range is key, so is cover.

Learn what tiny loot sells well, like watches, phones, gold chains, cpu's, Geiger counters. Some big/heavy loot can sell well (wheels are..decent, if you need the cash. propane tanks pretty good. if you're broke an electric motor is EXTRACT NOW) but, especially early, won't be feasible for you to get out with.

Don't ever get over encumbered early on. It'll just be a death sentence.

Remember that you can craft water and bread without any modules, so its worthwhile to collect dirty water and moldy bread. Early on I was also buying out barkeep's water and bread every day just to keep going.

And yeah, #yolo in the direction of the sawmill can be a good way to get some items. Even if you don't gun down everyone outside, there are 4 buildings you can get in/out of that'll have toolboxes or filing cabinets with only one bandit guarding them, just sneak in and out (and run).

Arrath fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 5, 2023

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Dalaram posted:

- you can do a lot of successful runs just scavenging the outskirts of the forest to start with. Just look for hidden stashes, and corpses from inter-faction combat (marked by crows)
- when engaging humans, abuse the right -click view distance bonus. Early on, you can get a greater shooting distance than all but mosin equipped bandits
- avoid hunters early. They have armor and will erase your run quick
- try and not run encumbered, until you are definitely near the escape zone.
-Use running to get away and bandage. Hide behind rocks to heal up
- non-shooting mobs can offer early cash, dropping pelts and tentacles, while posing lower threat.
- prioritize quest items, high-dollar electronics for sale, and guns for pickup. Feel free to leave behind anything you are t looking for NOW.
- always take all drinks, even if you have to quaff them on the spot. Generally speaking, always take or eat food too, and don’t hoard it, use it.

CuddleCryptid posted:

To add on to the above

- Condition isn't really that big of a deal on bolt action/single shot weapons because it mainly causes jams, which is a problem when you leap around a corner and open fire at point blank with an SMG but less so when you can just click a few more times from half a screen over. Don't hesitate to take a Mosin off someone's corpse.

- Similarly, if you are having trouble with ammo then use a weapon that has very common ammo, like thr 7.62. Don't be afraid to spray, but try to do short bursts at range and keep moving.

- Most bandits go down in a few hits if you can hit them. Exploiting line of sight can allow you to get close, but that's high risk if you're not careful.

But also

- You don't lose anything for dying other than time so if you want to fight for goods and glory then you can beeline to the sawmill when you first load into the forest and light it up before you spend time looting when you might just die anyways.

Thanks to you both. I'll definitely grab a mosin, I'm using a beat up AK something and it's a problem. I also found the hermit guy and he looks promising.

A major problem I have in combat is re-acquiring enemies after breaking line of sight. I've often been tagged less than a second after coming out from behind a rock (or while doing so). I suppose that can be mitigated by abusing the look-ahead mechanic. I also read (maybe here) that the outskirts of the suburbs are usually human-enemy free and can be lucrative to loot.

Do night runs ever become viable? It seems like you could take advantage of enemies clustering around light sources but I got ambushed by an unseen wolf the first time I stayed out after dark.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

BrianRx posted:

Do night runs ever become viable? It seems like you could take advantage of enemies clustering around light sources but I got ambushed by an unseen wolf the first time I stayed out after dark.

Oh absolutely! Enemies like to give themselves away with their flashlights, making them easy to spot and easy targets.

You'll want a headlamp or, better, a set of NVGs but to buy those you'll have to do the first few quests to get access to the Green Army part of the bunker, as well as the dosh to buy em.

NVGs do make it hard to identify enemies, so I will caution you to maybe turn them off and peek at the enemy you've spotted, to make sure they're a hunter or bandit and you're not about to piss off a squad of green/crimson and get wrecked.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

BrianRx posted:

Thanks to you both. I'll definitely grab a mosin, I'm using a beat up AK something and it's a problem. I also found the hermit guy and he looks promising.

A major problem I have in combat is re-acquiring enemies after breaking line of sight. I've often been tagged less than a second after coming out from behind a rock (or while doing so). I suppose that can be mitigated by abusing the look-ahead mechanic. I also read (maybe here) that the outskirts of the suburbs are usually human-enemy free and can be lucrative to loot.

Night runs are a pain in the rear end, even when you have NVG, because enemies around light sources tend to blur. But they are at least viable, and it can be helpful finding offscreen enemies with their visibility cones.

As for reacquiring enemies, there's a little bit of luck and prediction that goes into that. You kind of have to keep a general idea of where everyone is and where they could be moving. If you're fighting it's best to pop in and out of cover to keep tabs on where everyone is but still not draw too much fire. The key is to position yourself so that if you lose someone when you pop back out then you know they either ran away or they're charging you from one other path, in which case you can relocate. That is to say that if someone isn't on your left then they have to be on your right, so get your gun pointed in that direction and start circle strafing. Also don't be afraid to just bail, if you're fighting someone in a walled area then circling around the back to hit them from the other side usually can net you one or two safe kills so long as you don't run around a bunch of blind corners.

Also don't be afraid to take a fight one tiny slice at a time. LOS can also work in your favor, and if you slowly come around a corner and keep your gun on the edge of LOS then you can pop bandits as you see them while avoiding getting shot from the shadows. I'm sure there is some gun handling technique name for that but I have forgotten it.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 5, 2023

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I finally killed Kibba :toot:

His difficulty was mostly in running into him around blind corners. The other two bosses are honestly tougher, since they have 9x39 weapons that don't give two shits about your armor.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

Also don't be afraid to take a fight one tiny slice at a time. LOS can also work in your favor, and if you slowly come around a corner and keep your gun on the edge of LOS then you can pop bandits as you see them while avoiding getting shot from the shadows. I'm sure there is some gun handling technique name for that but I have forgotten it.

I think it's called "slicing the pie".

That makes a lot of sense, thanks. I just tried to eat the whole thing and got shot simultaneously by two guys with rifles. I picked up an MKM and things are much, much easier now. It's still a huge relief when the extraction timer hits zero, but I'm able to get back in one piece more often than not. This is fun.

Appreciate all the tips.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

The purple injector costs 1000 from the doctor and increases your carry capacity to 20kg before adding you backpack; it’s great for hauling an inventory full of guns for quick money.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Lemony posted:

Oh right, maybe that's why the sun rises and sets in different directions depending on which zone you happen to be in. Magnets.

In all seriousness, I don't feel it's unreasonable that they could decide the magic magnet problem doesn't impact compasses. I think it would be even cooler in fact, because you could have the compass go batshit crazy during aurora events. Even better, you could use it as a passive tool for showing an event is on its way in advance. Your compass starts acting odd during the day? Probably going to be an event that night.

Maybe that's just past of me also wishing that the game had pseudo accurate weather behavior, so you could do some basic weather prediction as part of the gameplay loop. It'd be nice to be able to make educated guesses as to if there's going to be a storm later or not. Of course, then I just get to thinking that all the electronic stuff not working really shouldn't prevent you from having access to poo poo like barometers and such...

agreed, the long dark is a great game but i wish i had a few more tools at my disposal. i always feel like "if i were actually in this gameworld, i would just start living in this one cabin/orient myself/make paths/create fences etc". a compass would be great but probably the real reason is that the maps are all connected at odd angles and there isn't a single coherent geography to the game

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Deketh posted:

Does green hell have a horror element to it?
It gives me big The Forest vibes, which spooked me out too much. Yeah sure thing pal like I'm going in that cave

No. And the forest feels really incomplete to me. Green hell is better imo. There are caves but they're tiny and generally have a single scorpion in them. The forest had massive caves.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Also don't take the quest to kill Igor, once you give him the meat he has a box full of goodies for you every time you go to the forest

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

Also don't take the quest to kill Igor, once you give him the meat he has a box full of goodies for you every time you go to the forest

This reminds me, I'm assuming that when you build the scavenger module it just dumps what it finds every day into the open spots on tab 1 and then backfills from there, right? I've had it for a few days but no random Gameboys or hard drives have been showing up in my box.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CuddleCryptid posted:

This reminds me, I'm assuming that when you build the scavenger module it just dumps what it finds every day into the open spots on tab 1 and then backfills from there, right? I've had it for a few days but no random Gameboys or hard drives have been showing up in my box.

Once you install it, you go to wherever it is you installed it, and can interact with it to create a chest of items. I think it despawns with whatever is left in it if you don't clear it out before bed

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

Once you install it, you go to wherever it is you installed it, and can interact with it to create a chest of items. I think it despawns with whatever is left in it if you don't clear it out before bed

gently caress! Do all the workshops work that way? I wandered by some of them before and didn't get a prompt to interact so I just assumed they were dumping into storage.

So much lost scrap ammo :negative:

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

CuddleCryptid posted:

gently caress! Do all the workshops work that way? I wandered by some of them before and didn't get a prompt to interact so I just assumed they were dumping into storage.

So much lost scrap ammo :negative:

That scavenger module has created a ridiculous amount of material in my last game, I don't bother looting most junk/stuff now because I know there's a pretty good chance some it will show up there. Including liquids. I wish I'd done it earlier. That and the purple syringe trick someone just mentioned.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

Grimey Drawer
From what I've seen it's just the scav box and the bedroom that you directly interact with, and the rest just give standing bonuses/crafting table abilities

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

redreader posted:

No. And the forest feels really incomplete to me. Green hell is better imo. There are caves but they're tiny and generally have a single scorpion in them. The forest had massive caves.

That's great to know, thanks!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

From what I've seen it's just the scav box and the bedroom that you directly interact with, and the rest just give standing bonuses/crafting table abilities

The ammo bench lets you harvest a couple hundred gunpowder from it per day, I imagine the garden works the same way too.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Oh lol i've been missing out on free gunpowder

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Man those modules sound kinda nice. I wish the descriptions gave you a better idea of what to expect. Feels like the Infirmary and Bed are 100% necessary, and the kitchen is just such a huge QoL for compacting food and thirst items into smaller slots + energy boosts from coffee and tea. Also cleaning a single dirty water with just fuel.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Evil Kit posted:

Man those modules sound kinda nice. I wish the descriptions gave you a better idea of what to expect. Feels like the Infirmary and Bed are 100% necessary, and the kitchen is just such a huge QoL for compacting food and thirst items into smaller slots + energy boosts from coffee and tea. Also cleaning a single dirty water with just fuel.

You don't need a bed at this time because you can just use the bed in the military quarters or the ones in the individual rooms, although I think only the former heals you as well.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
A word of caution about those chests though, when I first built the ammo thing I thought that the chest that comes with the workstation was for storing poo poo to use in crafting, and put a bunch of my ammo bits and also real ammo into that chest. It then disappeared and was very upsetting.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Koobze posted:

A word of caution about those chests though, when I first built the ammo thing I thought that the chest that comes with the workstation was for storing poo poo to use in crafting, and put a bunch of my ammo bits and also real ammo into that chest. It then disappeared and was very upsetting.

Hah, whoops. I wouldn't have thought to store things in that chest. The dev should probably make it impossible to put things into it, to protect against that.

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

Oh lol i've been missing out on free gunpowder

It's probably about equivalent to looting a weapon box tier 1 and hauling out all that gunpowder, so its not massive, but enough to keep you in ammo for the day.

CuddleCryptid posted:

You don't need a bed at this time because you can just use the bed in the military quarters or the ones in the individual rooms, although I think only the former heals you as well.

I do like the bed for the healing bonus, I have to admit. I'm sure the discord has it all figured out, but I have been mulling over the modules. What do other people think?

S tier:
Ammo

A tier:
Infirmary
Kitchen

B tier:
Bed

C tier:
Workshop (it takes a loooot of weapon parts to repair your own stuff, and by then you're probably rolling in cash so why not do it through the scientist)

Early game useful but falls off:
Recycler

Haven't built yet so can't say:
Scavenger (likely very useful, will build it in place of my recycler once I get the last bits)
Forge (probably useless)
Garden (probably useless)
Gym
Shooting Range

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Recycler + workshop turns out pretty good dividends. Yes the Infirmary can repair armor and also sell you kits to repair broken weapons, but the cheaper kits only work down to 60% durability, and even then it's expensive as poo poo. Versus the workbench where you can go to the sawmill, take everyone's guns, scrap them, and then repair any gun for cheap, even that railgun bolt action you found that costs 40,000 in the shop.

It gets even more economical when you find the scrap vendor in the makeshift camp and can just buy parts outright for cheap, just by selling him back the guns you picked up on the way to his base to offset the cost. By then you can replace the recycler if you really want a garden.

I have storage, kitchen, infirmary, ammo, workbench, recycler, and scavenger

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 6, 2023

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Sure but I've got 200k and nothing else to spend the money on. Besides, you only need one or two big repair kits per gun, ever.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Arrath posted:

Sure but I've got 200k and nothing else to spend the money on. Besides, you only need one or two big repair kits per gun, ever.

I mean yeah, once you hit that point in the game you can do whatever you want because the game is basically over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CuddleCryptid posted:

IMO you do because it increases xp gains. I believe it also helps your stamina but I'll need to double check that, I know the Gym buffs stamina already.

IMO Recycler is pointless, you can just grab whatever scrap bits you need in Raid and build up a bulk over time. Also in your other post are you confusing the Infirmary with the Workshop? Cause the Infirmary def doesn't let you repair armor or weapons, it increases your perm max health and passively regens any missing health while you're in the bunker.

I'll do more indepth thoughts when I get home, I have built both the Shooting Range and Gym though, both are handy for their passive bonuses.