Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
I have an All Clad Dutch oven with an anodized exterior that had been put through the dishwasher a few times and lost chunks of its anodization on the bottom.

Is it still safe to use? Is there anything I can do to stop further loss, like season the aluminum or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Giant Metal Robot posted:

I have an All Clad Dutch oven with an anodized exterior that had been put through the dishwasher a few times and lost chunks of its anodization on the bottom.

Is it still safe to use? Is there anything I can do to stop further loss, like season the aluminum or something?

I don't believe you can season aluminum the same way you can cast iron/carbon steel - and you certainly can't if there are only chunks missing, not the entire surface. Is it safe to use? Aluminum will leach into your food, the amount depends on the time and temperature - which doesn't bode well for how Dutch ovens are generally used.

Personally, I'd ditch it and go with an enameled cast iron one. Lodge has one for ~$90, and a traditional cast iron Dutch oven for ~$50. Obviously, if your budget allows, you can spend quite a bit more on other brands.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
The exterior is the part that's exposed. The interior is stainless and unmarred. I'm assuming the pot is safe, but I don't know if there's an issue with exposing the raw aluminum to my gas range. Aluminum vapors?

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
thoughts on this for a basic small rice cooker? I usually only make 1 cup ( raw ) of rice at a time, and doing that in a 6qt Instant Pot has gotten cumbersome.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

The exterior is the part that's exposed. The interior is stainless and unmarred. I'm assuming the pot is safe, but I don't know if there's an issue with exposing the raw aluminum to my gas range. Aluminum vapors?
No, it’s fine.

However All Clad says their hard coat anodize is dishwasher safe and is guaranteed forever so call them up and they should take care of you.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Once the anodized coating is gone you might be better off not putting it in the dishwasher to avoid corrosion if you want it to last forever but I don't know whether this is really worth worrying about on the exterior

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

In this case it's fine, but yeah - call All-Clad and they should take care of you. Aluminum vapors are hazardous, but your range/oven don't get anywhere near a temp where that would be a problem. If you're cooking in a kiln for some reason, you would have reason to worry.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Shooting Blanks posted:

In this case it's fine, but yeah - call All-Clad and they should take care of you. Aluminum vapors are hazardous, but your range/oven don't get anywhere near a temp where that would be a problem. If you're cooking in a kiln for some reason, you would have reason to worry.

I very badly wanted to run some pizza through my new electric kiln but I thought better of it

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Tons of food service places use aluminum pots and pans that aren't anodized. I wouldn't worry about it.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I don't believe you can season aluminum the same way you can cast iron/carbon steel.

You can season aluminum and stainless pans and it'll make them a little more non-stick. There's just less of an incentive than with cast iron and carbon steel, where you have to worry about rust.

Thoht fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 4, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm looking to move my wok cooking outdoors so I may purchase a PowerFlamer Propane 160 in support of that.

My question is: Is it a good idea to plop a baking steel on top of it and use it as a griddle or is that dumb? I could pre-warm the steel in my oven to save on time heating it on the burner? I don't even know what makes sense.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve done that for smash burgers with my propane burner. Works great. Just be aware that since it doesn’t have sides, grease will run off, so protect what’s underneath.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Lodge makes griddle pans with sides that are relatively cheap - if you find you enjoy doing that, it might be worth buying one of those to help control the mess. Doesn't do much about splatter, but...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bird with big dick posted:

Yeah it's really not a big deal. I doubt I go through more than 4 gallons a year.

That said, I just sent mine in for repair and it seems like they just ship you a new one. They even tell you to keep your accessories as spares.

Man, I gotta get in touch with them. I have a pre-order unit that has never worked meaningfully with the app because it reboots in the middle of applying the day-one firmware update. I’d love to get it fixed, and my wife just noticed that the water tank is crazed right where it’s against the front of the oven.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I’ve done that for smash burgers with my propane burner. Works great. Just be aware that since it doesn’t have sides, grease will run off, so protect what’s underneath.

Mines got a grease channel!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
My main concern about the griddle/steel is maybe falling off while smashing

Anyone know when these rebates for induction ranges are going to be available? I'm ready to move on from gas

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

BraveUlysses posted:

Anyone know when these rebates for induction ranges are going to be available? I'm ready to move on from gas

It'll be on a state-by-state basis. More info here.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

I've got a round baking steel so the round base of the PowerFlamer seems like it should only leave maybe a few inches hanging off the edge.

I'm also going to get the stabilizer legs for it since they recommend it for any kind of rough wok tossing.

My next question: Do people sell grease splatter mitigation accoutrement? Currently I just put a bunch of towels on my deck railing to catch the grease that pops out of the wok but there has to be A Better Way!

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I've got a round baking steel so the round base of the PowerFlamer seems like it should only leave maybe a few inches hanging off the edge.

I'm also going to get the stabilizer legs for it since they recommend it for any kind of rough wok tossing.

My next question: Do people sell grease splatter mitigation accoutrement? Currently I just put a bunch of towels on my deck railing to catch the grease that pops out of the wok but there has to be A Better Way!

the cheapest solution is just a splatter screen. If you are looking for fryer divider-like protection you'll be far better off building your own cheaply with scrapyard sheet metal than trying to fit something already manufactured with your current kit.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Anyone have a particular kitchen scale they like? We have this one which is fine but nothing fancy and the buttons are annoying. They are sealed so crud doesn’t get into them but miss a lot of touches.

Greater Goods Gray Food Scale
https://a.co/d/bmwAiYW

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

smackfu posted:

Anyone have a particular kitchen scale they like? We have this one which is fine but nothing fancy and the buttons are annoying. They are sealed so crud doesn’t get into them but miss a lot of touches.

Greater Goods Gray Food Scale
https://a.co/d/bmwAiYW

I have an earlier version of the Amazon Basics scale. The only difference is that the buttons are positioned differently, it's fine by me.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I like my Oxos. The screen/buttons pull away from the scale so you can see them even if you have something big on it. Watch the max weight though, the smallest one can hit the max if you’re measuring out the ingredients for a large batch of bread into a heavy bowl.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I loved the Oxo scale, but my first one died at about 13 months, and the second in less than 10 months. I babied the second one and still died. Hard to recommend.

I’m using this one now and it’s pretty great. I’ve only had it a year though, so who tf knows.

Kitchen Scale - Bakers Math... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VEKX35Y?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I've been using https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007GAWSC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for a while, has been holding up well.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I got this on recommendation of a buncha goons, been going strong 2 years and surprisingly accurate when I test it using a graduated cylinder + water.

https://a.co/d/bJ44VWs

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
I want to blend and chop/dice stuff because I'm lazy and want to make drinkable or really easy meals. Would a blender and processor all-in-1 be better than having a separate food processor and blender? Like, if I wanted to dump spinach, baby carrots, a tin of tuna, and some nuts in a machine what would be best?

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
Or something like a banana, protein powder, cocoa powder, and ice cubes

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Food processor covers the spectrum of diced veggies to grainy mush (like a pesto)

Blender covers the spectrum of grainy mush to liquid

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
Do the recommendations in the OP still hold or are there any new brands that have taken folks by storm?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wait, hold on a second, you want to drink a canned tuna smoothie?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Ham Cheeks posted:

Do the recommendations in the OP still hold or are there any new brands that have taken folks by storm?

OP is old as hell, tell us what you’re looking for and we’ll make recommendations

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Ham Cheeks posted:

the only major thing that sticks out is to change the electric pressure cooker section to say Buy An Instant Pot Right Now, it mostly looks good otherwise though prices have changed a lot. Anything specific you’re looking for?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would also add Tramontina to the cheap nonstick rec. And yeah, redo the pressure cooker part and specify that yes instant pot is good.

Also sadly my one year old ex duz it can opener is a piece of crap so I don’t what changed there.

But otherwise that’s a really thorough op. Never actually looked at it til now.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Steve Yun posted:

Food processor covers the spectrum of diced veggies to grainy mush (like a pesto)

Blender covers the spectrum of grainy mush to liquid

this is an incredibly good turn of phrase

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy

mystes posted:

Wait, hold on a second, you want to drink a canned tuna smoothie?

Yes

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy

hypnophant posted:

the only major thing that sticks out is to change the electric pressure cooker section to say Buy An Instant Pot Right Now, it mostly looks good otherwise though prices have changed a lot. Anything specific you’re looking for?

Nothing specific, just any gizmo that will blend and chop that also isn't junk

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
I want to be able to make a smoothie out of pretty much anything

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
The Vitamix looks good....are there any products like it that are less money?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ham Cheeks posted:

Not that will blend like a Vitamix. Ninja makes a decent blender. But for the best performance Vitamix and maybe Blendtec are it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Ham Cheeks posted:

If you want 100% assurance that you’re gonna turn your food to liquid, your choices are
1. Vitamix
2. Blendtec
3. Breville’s Boss line

Everything else is varying levels of smooth to grainy depending on how much you wanna pay

Supposedly the Ninja blenders are good for the price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
Are there any notable differences between the various Vitamix types that would justify paying more?