Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

BonoMan posted:

Full trailer for Netflix's "You People."

It's just as trope-y as I thought it would be, but it does have a stacked cast so... mayyybe it'll be at least a little funny? Probably not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCMHc-IFAB0&t=1s

I did laugh at that stupid Xzibit joke and I like the cast, so I'll give it a shot. Gonna be interesting to see how far they will take the Nation of Islam bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

precision posted:

The first film in the "nic cage owns" Renaissance was Bad Lieutenant, not Mandy

absolutely.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I keep reading good things about Bad Lieutenant, I need to watch that one finally.

The combo of watching Mandy and Pig sold me on cage again and got me to go back and watch many of his older films.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

checkplease posted:

The combo of watching Mandy and Pig sold me on cage again and got me to go back and watch many of his older films.
Watch Moonstruck.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I mean it will never get better than Raising Arizona so absolutely start (or end) there.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah anyone who doubts Cage’s chops needs to watch the movies listed above, but also and most importantly: Leaving Las Vegas.

For my part I’ve never seen Wild at Heart.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BonoMan posted:

I mean it will never get better than Raising Arizona so absolutely start (or end) there.

it sucks that he never worked with the Coens again although how could he top H.I. McDonagh

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Jewmanji posted:

Yeah anyone who doubts Cage’s chops needs to watch the movies listed above, but also and most importantly: Leaving Las Vegas.

For my part I’ve never seen Wild at Heart.

I quite enjoyed Wild at Heart. It’s pretty ridiculous and has Lynch portraying his love for the wizard of Oz in the open. Cage gets to sing and fight and wear a crazy snake skin jacket that apparently her picked out himself.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wild at Heart is the best "somewhat normal" lynch movie

Granted, there's only two other movies in that category

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

BonoMan posted:

Full trailer for Netflix's "You People."

It's just as trope-y as I thought it would be, but it does have a stacked cast so... mayyybe it'll be at least a little funny? Probably not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCMHc-IFAB0&t=1s

I laughed and cringed and I will see it

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Nobody sleep on Vampire's Kiss.

It's the height of the bad-but-good being a movie about Nic Cage not being sure whether or not he's a vampire.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Nobody sleep on Vampire's Kiss.

It's the height of the bad-but-good being a movie about Nic Cage not being sure whether or not he's a vampire.

i first saw that in my teens and i was so confused, i couldnt figure out if it was serious or not and i loved it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gatts posted:

I laughed and cringed and I will see it

I wasn't totally onboard until his parents showed up lol

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You guys our M3GAN campaign is working. We beat Smile's Thursday box office which was the most in a horror movie since the pandemic.

I understand nobody here really wants to read about us (me) patting ourselves on the back or anything it was just one of those campaigns (and films) where everything just worked. We could have gone super campy with it and turned it into a mockery of itself but this was more of showing restraint and just gently fanning the flames of memes without banging people over the head with it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Megan seems to be spreading all over the place. Various drag queens I follow are so excited for it.

The "yassification" of Megan was a smart thing to show off.

E:

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 6, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It also helps that apparently the movie is actually really loving good (sitting at 95% RT with 100+ reviews)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Also, watch M3gan director Gerald Johnstone's previous film, Housebound. It's worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji8Tsuj3u0c

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

kiimo posted:

You guys our M3GAN campaign is working. We beat Smile's Thursday box office which was the most in a horror movie since the pandemic.

I understand nobody here really wants to read about us (me) patting ourselves on the back or anything it was just one of those campaigns (and films) where everything just worked. We could have gone super campy with it and turned it into a mockery of itself but this was more of showing restraint and just gently fanning the flames of memes without banging people over the head with it.

Originally I was trying to get my brothers' attention about the movie (they're big horror fans). Now, I'll get sent videos of some M3GAN dancers at a football game at night, and one of my brothers will say, "Gah! gently caress it, if I'm not sleeping, neither are you." So yeah, I'd say the campaign is working.

Well done!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

kiimo posted:

I’m serious go find out if they’re releasing an r rated cut.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

kiimo posted:

I’m absolutely not the target audience for M3GAN but the first trailer using a creepy remix of a Taylor Swift song was pretty much the perfect way to introduce that movie and I’m glad it’s turned out as good as I hoped

It’s nice to have a movie where they seemingly went into it knowing it was gonna be PG-13 and being able to target it at young people without making it dumb as poo poo. And of course anything aimed at teen girls is gonna appeal to The Gays as well, so there’s a nice spread

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

edogawa rando posted:

Also, watch M3gan director Gerald Johnstone's previous film, Housebound. It's worth a watch.

Oh poo poo, now I really gotta see M3gan, I had no idea.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I don't have to go find out, they're already talking about streaming the R cut, considering it already existed before trying to get a PG-13 version.

DC Murderverse posted:

It’s nice to have a movie where they seemingly went into it knowing it was gonna be PG-13 and being able to target it at young people without making it dumb as poo poo. And of course anything aimed at teen girls is gonna appeal to The Gays as well, so there’s a nice spread

And yeah they wanted PG-13 all along they just went a little overboard with the kills lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ok good. I’ll support Megan now

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I watched M3gan and I love it. For a robot, the title character is quite charismatic and have some good lines. You don't see most of the kills but it's her interaction with others that's the highlight. I hope they get a couple more movies out of her.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I'm glad to hear M3GAN is good, 'cause following up Malignant is a pretty dang tall order to fill.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

kiimo posted:

For what it’s worth man I really appreciate your posts about your work & experiences. Congrats on the successful campaign!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Clap posted:

For what it’s worth man I really appreciate your posts about your work & experiences. Congrats on the successful campaign!

Not to sound thirsty after a few vodka sodas but this post really made my day thank you so much

There are other goons that work in the industry but don’t post as much and I appreciate their secrecy but there are many of us

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Well done, kiimo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wanna read all industry stuff. I’m a weirdo who thinks movie trailers are art

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

kiimo posted:

in all the different iterations of the trailer thread over now many many years I've always enjoyed your insider/industry tidbits :tipshat:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Harry Lime posted:

in all the different iterations of the trailer thread over now many many years I've always enjoyed your insider/industry tidbits :tipshat:

100% this. Kiimo is a highlight of the forums for me.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

https://deadline.com/2023/01/m3gan-screenwriter-original-script-gorier-unrated-version-on-the-books-1235214427/

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

So happy. Good stuff

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WfTEZJnv_8

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I'm just so tired of it all.

It looks boring and uninspired and had none of at least the little charm the first one had (I don't think I saw the second).

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kiimo posted:

Is it by the same ppl who did Malignant? As a non horror guy I'm mainly interested based on how much fun I had with that movie. You're always going to see the next movie of a movie you already enjoyed.

E2: ^^^ speaking of Ant Man, I don't really remember enjoying the second one. Maybe I'll see it when it comes to streaming

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 10, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Shageletic posted:

Is it by the same ppl who did Malignant? As a non horror guy I'm mainly interested based on how much fun I had with that movie. You're always going to see the next movie of a movie you already enjoyed.

Same writer and producers, I believe.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://youtu.be/PuiWDn976Ek

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Early contender for trailer of the year imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuiWDn976Ek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

flashy_mcflash posted:

Early contender for trailer of the year imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuiWDn976Ek

No idea what's going on but I'm in.