Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

The Lone Badger posted:

I think I would simply hire someone to follow me around handing me additional loaded pistols.

You've invented the squire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's a good question. My wood experience (lol) is mainly firewood and light logging poo poo so I don't know much about the craft side of it, but I'd assume that you make arrow shafts out of seasoned wood. If you were using single sticks, you could let them dry and debark them once dry fairly easily. I'm sure someone has done some experimental archaeology around this.

Right? And if you are doing riven and shaved sticks (like for say chair spindles) the wood will dry faster and you'll have more material for correcting any warping and making sure that your tapering is correct, and I suspect that it would be more stable too. But either of them requires a substantial stockpile of materials because it has to be seasoned. Hell, if you don't used seasoned wood, you risk the arrowheads getting loose as the wood dries (And I've heard youtubers/reconstructionists quote records that arrows would in some cases be stored for loving centuries).

As I was walking the dogs I started to hypothesize that it was probably a mix due to the demands placed on coppices. Some are probably from full sticks, pruned from younger growth, and some is probably from riven wood, taken from either end of poles harvested for other purposes (i.e. harvest a trunk to make a pike; the section towards the tip could become an arrow, or depending on the taper, be riven into 2 or 4 to make multiple arrows).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I would coppice a tree to make some spears.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

I think I would simply hire someone to follow me around handing me additional loaded pistols.

I assume at some point early on it occurred to military planners that having guys dedicated to loading wheellocks or whatever would be a good idea, but since it didn't catch on it obviously wasn't. Why not? Genoese crossbows were basically crew served weapons, with a bowman, a loader, and a pavise wrangler. I don't know how long it takes to winch back a Genoese crossbow, probably longer than an expert arquebusier takes to reload his arquebus. But you wouldn't bother with a shield if you were using a firearm, so it would be much more mobile. I guess two dudes loading and firing their own firearm is better than one guy handing another loaded ones? In prepared defensive situations, was it SOP to stockpile a bunch of loaded muskets?

And how does chrome recognize arquebusier but not arquebus?

zoux fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 6, 2023

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I assume resilience. If you have four fusiliers and two of them get shot you still have two fusiliers. If you have two shooters and two loaders and two of then get shot, you might be lucky enough to have one intact shooter/loader pair but you're equally likely to have two shooters or two loaders.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

feedmegin posted:

American Civil War cavalry (so without the same transport issues of being on foot) would sometimes carry like 4 pistols/revolvers and a sabre, if I recall correctly. Check out this lad

4 pistols and sabre seem strange for an ACW trooper in any army or theatre. The standard issue for mid-war volunteer Federal Cavalry was 2 pistols, a sabre, and a carbine of the breech-loading variety. Less if you were a confederate trooper who might have to make do with sawed-off smoothbore as times got tough. If you expand cavalry to mounted infantry who effectively were tasked as cavalry units then pistols as primary weapons were even rarer. The only time I have ever heard of 4 pistols as a loadout is from Mosby's guerillas which could barely be called a cavalry unit where men had to bring their own horses and weapons.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

zoux posted:

In prepared defensive situations, was it SOP to stockpile a bunch of loaded muskets?

In almost all situations, obtaining muskets was trickier than obtaining warm bodies who can hold a musket.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

I assume at some point early on it occurred to military planners that having guys dedicated to loading wheellocks or whatever would be a good idea, but since it didn't catch on it obviously wasn't. Why not? Genoese crossbows were basically crew served weapons, with a bowman, a loader, and a pavise wrangler. I don't know how long it takes to winch back a Genoese crossbow, probably longer than an expert arquebusier takes to reload his arquebus. But you wouldn't bother with a shield if you were using a firearm, so it would be much more mobile. I guess two dudes loading and firing their own firearm is better than one guy handing another loaded ones? In prepared defensive situations, was it SOP to stockpile a bunch of loaded muskets?

And how does chrome recognize arquebusier but not arquebus?

There are others here more knowledgeable, but that is sort of what they did. Except instead of exchanging muskets, they exchanged dudes.

People would fire, then walk to the back and the next rank would fire. Cavalry would do it too, except that was more of a wheeling formation.

As others have said the weapons were pretty expensive so its better to just have a dude for every gun. Eventually tactics evolved to favor longer lines with fewer ranks, and eventually the whole rotating guys thing fell out of favour and was replaced with larger volleys.

In Asia larger musket type weapons were more popular (usually referred to as jingals) and those would often have multiple people serving them.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
So I've gotten to see some of the arrows from the Mary Rose. And it doesn't look like there was one uniform method for producing shafts. Some appeared to be coppice wood and some were clearly from split timber. However, all of them would have gotten some finishing work. The English preferred both ends of the shaft be tapered. So even coppice wood would have had a draw knife taken to it at some point.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SerCypher posted:

There are others here more knowledgeable, but that is sort of what they did. Except instead of exchanging muskets, they exchanged dudes.

People would fire, then walk to the back and the next rank would fire. Cavalry would do it too, except that was more of a wheeling formation.

As others have said the weapons were pretty expensive so its better to just have a dude for every gun. Eventually tactics evolved to favor longer lines with fewer ranks, and eventually the whole rotating guys thing fell out of favour and was replaced with larger volleys.

In Asia larger musket type weapons were more popular (usually referred to as jingals) and those would often have multiple people serving them.

Yeah I never thought of it like that but I guess that's exactly what volley fire is

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The Lone Badger posted:

What's your benefits package like.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

zoux posted:

Yeah I never thought of it like that but I guess that's exactly what volley fire is

The Japanese may have used matchlocks in the way you were imagining, at least initially. There are some accounts that say that Oda Nobunaga supposedly had his arquebus armed troops organized as either loaders or shooters, with three weapons per shooter. The men who were the best/most accurate shooters would operate the weapons and the others would take turns loading the other guns. Or it may have been that samurai operated the guns (contrary to popular depictions, samurai loving LOVED guns) and their retainers helped load them for them.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Thomamelas posted:

So I've gotten to see some of the arrows from the Mary Rose. And it doesn't look like there was one uniform method for producing shafts. Some appeared to be coppice wood and some were clearly from split timber. However, all of them would have gotten some finishing work. The English preferred both ends of the shaft be tapered. So even coppice wood would have had a draw knife taken to it at some point.

amazing. I appreciate this so much - can you offer any other technical details?

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Consider that three rotating shooters is more flexible than one dedicated shooter and two dedicated loaders, since you can also have them fire together or spread them out to cover more ground if need be.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

CommonShore posted:

amazing. I appreciate this so much - can you offer any other technical details?

Some of the nock points looked like some one chiseled them out, some were sawn. There was a real lack of uniformity. I saw at least three different woods, and at least one arrow was made from heartwood. The vibe was the intersection of skilled work and lowest bidder work. But that may have been due to age.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You can make a wood lathe pretty easily -- check out pole lathes sometime. Definitely something that they could have built back in the day, but of course that doesn't mean they actually did.

While lathes are pretty old, going back to the late bronze age for the earliest examples and being pretty widespread across Eurasia by the Warring States Period, bows and arrows date back to the Middle Paleolithic, and today are commonly used by societies that absolutely do not have wood lathes. They didn't even have metal back then!

Now as for an entry into a weird part of the history of wood shaft weapons,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wwIIK1M3iI

Phanatic posted:

You should check out what the Swiss were doing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd8SaNzeZqk&t=138s

This pleases me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I would coppice a tree to make some spears.

And they did! It's a very useful technique.

Other than the inclusion of potatoes, one of the most noteworthy anachronisms in modern portrayals of medieval Europe is the lack of coppicing/pollarding. I know its a lot of work but it is also quite funny.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

To be honest, between the two knives and three pistols I'm inclined to suspect that this guy was the Civil War equivalent of the fresh young Marine recruit spending his entire paycheck buying all the tacticool poo poo he can just for the aesthetic of the thing and to feel badass. I have a hard time thinking of any realistic Civil War battlefield scenario where you're really gonna need to whip out two chest-holstered knives at some point.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

MikeC posted:

4 pistols and sabre seem strange for an ACW trooper in any army or theatre. The standard issue for mid-war volunteer Federal Cavalry was 2 pistols, a sabre, and a carbine of the breech-loading variety.

I didn't say it was standard issue. I'm just saying it happened. Soldiers acquiring more gear than regulation isn't exactly unknown.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

While we're posting old style tacticool; here's an eight shot snaplock revolver, supposedly from 1597:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Tulip posted:

Other than the inclusion of potatoes, one of the most noteworthy anachronisms in modern portrayals of medieval Europe is the lack of coppicing/pollarding. I know its a lot of work but it is also quite funny.

Pollarding is still pretty common in a lot of European cities but it doesn't seem to have ever hit in the US.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Speaking of which, in some Finnish cities, if you know where to go, you can notice places with trees that were bollarded 80 years ago that since then have grown new tops. You can notice this from the kink they all have at the same height. Why's that, you wonder? Because they were growing around AA sites (on hill tops) that needed to clear lines of sight around them, so all trees growing on the slopes were trimmed to the hilltop level. The cut tree tops were then used to camouflage the concrete AA bunkers.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, it's pretty regular to come across pollarded trees, i just didn't know it was called pollarding until now

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Tulip posted:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Pollarding is still pretty common in a lot of European cities but it doesn't seem to have ever hit in the US.

IIRC this was an issue during the filming of Gladiator because it actually was made in Europe, and they found it almost impossible to find a forest of trees that weren't coppiced, which was a problem for a film set in the Roman empire.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Tomn posted:

To be honest, between the two knives and three pistols I'm inclined to suspect that this guy was the Civil War equivalent of the fresh young Marine recruit spending his entire paycheck buying all the tacticool poo poo he can just for the aesthetic of the thing and to feel badass. I have a hard time thinking of any realistic Civil War battlefield scenario where you're really gonna need to whip out two chest-holstered knives at some point.

You see this a lot with pretty much every era where military portraits were a thing. Somewhere I've got a pic saved of a super young looking Bavarian kid standing on a small pile of French helmets and holding an Enfield in a victory pose. Obviously in a studio (it's got the cloth forest scenery backdrop painting thing) and his uniform is so fresh that it's obvious it's never been worn to a drill field, much less a trench.

I've also got a vague recollection of a civil war (confederate maybe?) portrait I saw once where the guy is mean mugging the camera holding two pistols cross-wise across his chest with a rifle across his knees. Full beard, but the face and eyes of a 17 or 18 year old.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

You see this a lot with pretty much every era where military portraits were a thing. Somewhere I've got a pic saved of a super young looking Bavarian kid standing on a small pile of French helmets and holding an Enfield in a victory pose. Obviously in a studio (it's got the cloth forest scenery backdrop painting thing) and his uniform is so fresh that it's obvious it's never been worn to a drill field, much less a trench.

I've also got a vague recollection of a civil war (confederate maybe?) portrait I saw once where the guy is mean mugging the camera holding two pistols cross-wise across his chest with a rifle across his knees. Full beard, but the face and eyes of a 17 or 18 year old.

lol not the one I was thinking of but I did some quick GIS'ing to see what I could find. Man there is an absolute "type" in these pics.

Anyways check this one out.

That kid is trying SO hard to look tough.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

MikeC posted:

The only time I have ever heard of 4 pistols as a loadout is from Mosby's guerillas which could barely be called a cavalry unit where men had to bring their own horses and weapons.

1861 Tacticool with four pistols:

Edit: Or three pistols and a knife:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As long as there have been photographs, there have been dudes holding way too much guns in them.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Speaking of cav, horses are skittish creatures who are prone to killing themselves in ridiculous fashion even in the best of time. How do you train them to have a mini explosion go off right over their head?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cessna posted:

1861 Tacticool with four pistols:

Edit: Or three pistols and a knife:

Please take the picture of me sitting with three guns aimed directly at my balls

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Please take the picture of me sitting with three guns aimed directly at my balls

That's why they were called "cap my balls" revolvers.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Defenestrategy posted:

Speaking of cav, horses are skittish creatures who are prone to killing themselves in ridiculous fashion even in the best of time. How do you train them to have a mini explosion go off right over their head?

Can’t locate it right now, but I saw a YouTube video of somebody training a modern horse to tolerate shooting. Started with rattling a bunch of pots near the horse and praising it for not shying from the noise, then eventually working up to not freaking out when blanks were fired. I assume something similar; get it gradually acclimated to noise nearby until it can handle gunshots.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

zoux posted:

As long as there have been photographs, there have been dudes holding way too much guns in them.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oh my god :five:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

CommonShore posted:

(accidentaly fires entire cylinders of three revolvers into my deck & balls with 100% accuracy rate) alright. thats fine. heres what i think happened, [1/82]

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lol

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Defenestrategy posted:

very carefully OP

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

I’m trying not to die laughing at work holy poo poo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Brig Gen. Micro Beauregard Mancer, wounded in the hip at Cold Harbor, went on to die of what was called "horse lick".

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Defenestrategy posted:

I believe they trained them and got them used to such noises in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Does the, uh, intactness of the animal matter? Are stalliions less gunshy?