Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
it would be funny if PS6 changed to ARM architecture and thus can't play any previous games at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ymgve posted:

it would be funny if PS6 changed to ARM architecture and thus can't play any previous games at all

PS3x2 :getin:

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Yeah it comes down to why do you want a PS4 now.

Because if it's just because you have a 1080p TV there's still enormous benefits to having a PS5 if there aren't big cost considerations (and even so may not be as big a difference as you think). As QoP said runs quieter, everything loads faster (like ENORMOUSLY faster, that alone has been arguably the biggest improvement of this gen) and then even at 1080p it's still going to look better. Few games other than your CoDs and Fifas are going to be coming out going forward cross-gen, so unless there's some big backlog you want to tackle you're not going to be playing much new. Even the Horizon Forbidden West expansion is going to be PS5 only.

BTW if the Sony exclusive games aren't important to you then (whispers) an Xbox Series S might be a good choice for you from both a cost and targeting 1080p point of view.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

e: wrong thread, wrong Playstation

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Theres a ps4 inside the ps5!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

That's why it's so big?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vikar Jerome posted:

Theres a ps4 inside the ps5!

It's just 3 PS4s in a trenchcoat

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Red Warrior posted:

Yeah it comes down to why do you want a PS4 now.
There's a list of games I would like to play that are all on the PS4, and figured it would be cheaper/further than the PS5's price than it is.

One game I'm really interested in is Tearway Unfolded which apparently may not be fully compatible with the PS5 because it uses a screen sharing app that PS5 doesn't have?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly just get a PS5

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Ineffiable posted:

I'm just glad that the ps5 is effectively better than the ps4 in every way.

It’s basically the same console, the concept of generations is dead

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

univbee posted:

Really frustrating when you consider that the super-slim PS2 eventually dropped to $99 and stayed there for a few years.

I hate that I didn't get one of these back in the days. You could get a PS2+2 gamepads and a bunch of games for less than 160€ in here right before the PS3 launch.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

dirby posted:

There's a list of games I would like to play that are all on the PS4, and figured it would be cheaper/further than the PS5's price than it is.

One game I'm really interested in is Tearway Unfolded which apparently may not be fully compatible with the PS5 because it uses a screen sharing app that PS5 doesn't have?

Most screen sharing apps are defunct, don't expect them to still be working in 2023.

The ps5 is also effectively future proof until 2030. It's only a few hundred more at worst and your games will be almost all higher fidelity and load faster then playing on a ps4 slim. Ps5 download speeds are far better than ps4 too.

The only reason I still play on a ps4 is because I kept my ps4 pro after getting the ps5 and my ps4 pro is set up in my office.

Pro level move is getting extra gaming time on work breaks

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

dirby posted:

Get a Vita.

I’m joking, but that game took advantage of every one of the Vita‘s hardware features (back touch pad, front touch pad, gyro, camera, etc) that couldn’t be fully translated to a home console.

I’m not sure what you’re referring to, but the PS5 has screen sharing.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm still using my PS4, it's alive! Since PS5 has a one year warranty, I'm not feeling the need to get one until there's a bevy of exclusive must have games for me on it. Or more games that don't do well on PS4 or my mid-range PC that I'm excited by.

A friend just played Ragnarok on PS4, apparently it looked/played pretty good, the thing is still kickin'. Sons of guns (of the patriots) playing the long game up in here. I also didn't get a PS4 Pro. These are precious bucks I can spend on fish sandwiches. Salmon is the superfood of the gamer.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'd still occasionally use my Pro if the thing wasn't so loving loud. Taking off the cover and dusting eventually stopped helping.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I'd still occasionally use my Pro if the thing wasn't so loving loud. Taking off the cover and dusting eventually stopped helping.

Some people went with a full CPU fan replacement with a custom one and seems to be the best fix for the PRO. I'm glad at this point that I picked a slim. Less power but drat quiet and makes the jump to a PS5 easier too.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm still using my PS4, it's alive! Since PS5 has a one year warranty, I'm not feeling the need to get one until there's a bevy of exclusive must have games for me on it. Or more games that don't do well on PS4 or my mid-range PC that I'm excited by.

A friend just played Ragnarok on PS4, apparently it looked/played pretty good, the thing is still kickin'. Sons of guns (of the patriots) playing the long game up in here. I also didn't get a PS4 Pro. These are precious bucks I can spend on fish sandwiches. Salmon is the superfood of the gamer.

Spider Man 2 may be what makes me upgrade from my PS4, I beat Miles Morales this last weekend and it was great fun.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Since I'm terrible at video games, the decreased loading time alone on the PS5 when I die in games has been worth it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hello there dead platform friends

Finally played Heavenly Bodies since it was a free game, it’s like QWOP or Getting Over It, but as an astronaut. Pretty amusing!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've yet to really play an actual PS5 game on my PS5 (I played a bit of Control but it bored me and I hate the janitor). What you should buy for PS4 games is PS5 > PS4 Pro > PS4. Which... should be obvious?

Couldn't find a Pro when I was looking for one, so I ordered a PS5.

e: Really wish it was PS3 compatible, because I'm all out of HDMI jacks on my TV, and the Dual Shock 3 is suck.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

and the Dual Shock 3 is suck.

You can use a DualShock 4 (the PS4 controller) wired with a PS3, and it works for almost all PS3 games. I say almost because it doesn't work for games that use the pressure-sensitive functionality of the face buttons like MGS 2 and 3 HD.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

univbee posted:

You can use a DualShock 4 (the PS4 controller) wired with a PS3, and it works for almost all PS3 games. I say almost because it doesn't work for games that use the pressure-sensitive functionality of the face buttons like MGS 2 and 3 HD.

I only got a PS3 for playing Metal Gear games lol.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I got one of these to use my DS4 with the PS3 because it doesn't work properly connected directly (no gyro, no rumble, no PS button). Obviously it can't mitigate the lack of pressure-sensitive face buttons but it works really well otherwise.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

univbee posted:

Some games gently caress up the analogue sticks with a DS4 also, like EDF 2025

Which granted, why would you play when 4.1 exists, but

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

E eh

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 21, 2023

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I have an original PS4 with a 500gb HDD in it, I have an empty PSN account and there are 3 other PSN accounts logged into the system, one or more of those other accounts lets me play a copy of bloodborne, Last of us and a few other games.

I have a cheap 480gb SSD that I'm not using for anything so hey why not.

I can transfer the entire system as is using the supported backup method of using a USB drive and the PS4's backup menu and still play bloodborne once its done without having to bother three people for their old PS4 passwords? Or, can / should I instead clone the drive while shrinking the partition down to 480gb if I want to keep those game licenses in place?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

shadow puppet of a posted:

I have an original PS4 with a 500gb HDD in it, I have an empty PSN account and there are 3 other PSN accounts logged into the system, one or more of those other accounts lets me play a copy of bloodborne, Last of us and a few other games.

I have a cheap 480gb SSD that I'm not using for anything so hey why not.

I can transfer the entire system as is using the supported backup method of using a USB drive and the PS4's backup menu and still play bloodborne once its done without having to bother three people for their old PS4 passwords? Or, can / should I instead clone the drive while shrinking the partition down to 480gb if I want to keep those game licenses in place?

This unfortunately isn't going to work, at least not the way you have it laid out, because any futzing with the internal drive requires you to reauthenticate those accounts. The safer option would be to pay :10bux: for a 2.5" USB enclosure and use the SSD as an external drive. You'll get most of the speed benefits and full use of the SSD's size that way, you can install/transfer whatever you want to that drive without issue.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

univbee posted:

This unfortunately isn't going to work, at least not the way you have it laid out, because any futzing with the internal drive requires you to reauthenticate those accounts. The safer option would be to pay :10bux: for a 2.5" USB enclosure and use the SSD as an external drive. You'll get most of the speed benefits and full use of the SSD's size that way, you can install/transfer whatever you want to that drive without issue.

In spoa's case it might not be an option, but half the reason I'd want to replace the internal drive is to make the OS not as painfully slow.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Hmmm thank you both. I’m not short on space at the mo so I guess I’ll just let sleeping dogs lie to preserve my Sleeping Dogs liecense.

With ssd prices collapsing as they are I’ll probably wait for 11.11 again and get a multi TB drive from a reputable brand like GOOGAOKE or maybe BERLARIBERBARIS.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’m still waiting for a 4TB 7mm SSD to drop down to $200 so I can justify using it internally on my slim

Edit: ooh, looks like they’re coming close, $270-300

Edit: hmm, a $200 one from a brand I’ve never heard of https://www.amazon.com/LEVEN-JS600-Internal-Solid-State/dp/B08DTR8RGR/

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 3, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

If you want something reputable for a bit more, Western Digital has their 4TB blue SATA drive for $230

https://www.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-blue-sata-2-5-ssd#WDS400T2B0A

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

I’m still waiting for a 4TB 7mm SSD to drop down to $200 so I can justify using it internally on my slim

Edit: ooh, looks like they’re coming close, $270-300

Edit: hmm, a $200 one from a brand I’ve never heard of https://www.amazon.com/LEVEN-JS600-Internal-Solid-State/dp/B08DTR8RGR/

I've been using a 1Tb SSD (Samsung Evo) since 2020 and it's been the best thing I did for my slim.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The Callisto Protocol - Digital Deluxe Super Special Cool Elite Collectors Edition is on sale for a few dollars cheaper than the base game; $56 vs $60. Still too much for me, but nice if you're interested in that one and want to squeeze the price a little.

e Fallout 4 is $7, Jedi: Fallen Order is $4, Assassin's Creed: Odyssey is $15, Dying Light: Definitive Edition is $10, pretty ok sale

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 2, 2023

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I accidentally downloaded Mafia: Definitive Edition. Should I play this or delete it, I don't remember anything about it except "Mafia game"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It fun enough as long as you don't expect it to be an open world game, it's 100% linear with some set dressing.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Inspector Hound posted:

I accidentally downloaded Mafia: Definitive Edition. Should I play this or delete it, I don't remember anything about it except "Mafia game"

I really enjoyed it when I played it last year, same with 2 and 3. It’s a pretty basic game but pretty well put together and the remastered graphics are really nice.

If you end up liking it, just note: Mafia 2 is good but a more barebones port, so it feels like a PS3 game, and Mafia 3 is a really good game but like 4x as long as the other two (and really didn’t have to be, but the story’s fantastic).

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Bunch of Yakuza games on sale right now, so no excuses for y'all. :colbert:

Still playing my PS4, but considering upgrading at the end of the year...

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Battlefield 2042 being a free game this month is a little embarrassing for everyone involved

e man that really was pretty embarrassing too

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 22, 2023

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Currently playing and enjoying Telling Lies, with the caveat that "being nosy" is one of my absolute favorite game genres. :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Read After Burning posted:

Currently playing and enjoying Telling Lies, with the caveat that "being nosy" is one of my absolute favorite game genres. :kiddo:

Just reading the ps store description... What is that game about? Plus it's live action, it makes me wonder, again, why they haven't ported Night Trap. Those ladies worked so hard on their pillow fights

Battlefield verdict: 2042 plays and looks like 1942 with a bf3 mod

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 13, 2023