Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
You'd end up just walling off a small area to break line of sight and setting up a portal in it. The crops grow but nothing else happens if you're not nearby so remote farms are pretty easy to maintain.

You just roll in, gather, replant, and high tail it out of there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

They do this in general because the best way to do any non swamp biome (and arguably the swamp as well) is to make an outpost there and smelt and farm etc in situ rather than carting huge amounts of stuff around the map.

It would be... interesting but probably not good... if the various biome plants all required their biome or higher to survive the way that plains crops do, btu I'm nto sure I'd want to have to maintain a swamp or mountain farm...

I still think an outpost near but not in the mountains is better, mostly because hauling everything you need to make a full base there in on your early runs is a pain, and it's far easier to explore the mountains when you have either 20 fenris hairs,, 20 (30?) silver for the wolf chest, or a wolf trophy. All of them I think you're better off making expeditions from there with a portal on your outbound trip until you get situated, then if you really need more (or you just want to) you can build a mountain base.

That said, if you get one of the big structures on an easy approach that it's easy enough to settle in, by all means. I've done both and they were both differently fun.

E: swamps and plains you can just sail up and start building, which helps.

E2: swamps might be better to sail up to for your second swamp base if the first didn't have enough crypts. I'd still probably walk in from a base built just outside the first time.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jan 6, 2023

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
My corpse is currently on an island that is literally just one giant swamp, in the middle of a Draugr camp.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

my favorite thing about the game is to civilize the wilderness, carve roads into dangerous areas, build huts and sheds and bridges and forts. that's one thing i like about the swamp, it feels very rough and dangerous when you start out so it's fun to impose some order onto it by raising bits of land, laying stone roads and building treehouse complexes

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Classic case of "oh, they DID go that far..."

Y'all might already know this, but another example of that is if a deer is down wind of you, they'll sense you way before you reach them.

Yup, and the air particles are not just there to be pretty, and the weather on the map, along with wind-driven clouds actually helps determine if it is a good idea to go sailing at any given time. I love when folks (mainly on reddit) whine about the wind always being in their faces when sailing, while they could have simply looked at the map before setting off.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Ravenfood posted:

I still think an outpost near but not in the mountains is better, mostly because hauling everything you need to make a full base there in on your early runs is a pain, and it's far easier to explore the mountains when you have either 20 fenris hairs,, 20 (30?) silver for the wolf chest, or a wolf trophy. All of them I think you're better off making expeditions from there with a portal on your outbound trip until you get situated, then if you really need more (or you just want to) you can build a mountain base.

That said, if you get one of the big structures on an easy approach that it's easy enough to settle in, by all means. I've done both and they were both differently fun.

E2: swamps might be better to sail up to for your second swamp base if the first didn't have enough crypts. I'd still probably walk in from a base built just outside the first time.

You can carry every bit of metal you need to make a max tier workbench and anvil with a full set of troll and half a stack each of stamina and health potions in one go. Make sure to remember to take your frost pot though.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Classic case of "oh, they DID go that far..."

Y'all might already know this, but another example of that is if a deer is down wind of you, they'll sense you way before you reach them.

This is a myth, there are no scent mechanics in the game

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone know of a good mod for making chests/storage management easier/better? A friend was looking into it but the thing they ended up linking to me looks like a huge overhaul mod (Valheim+ or something?) and I think we just want something to make offloading stuff at our base a bit easier or something.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

I think it's also different if you play solo vs in a group. When I play solo I can get all the materials I need out of a biome in one go and just do a single boat trip back to the central hub base, but if you've got half a dozen people operating at different times it's easier to bring the metal with you and set up a small base when you get there so people can come and go.

Also the benefit to building a mountain base is that snow doesn't degrade wood like rain does so you can get a lot more creative with your roof setups.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

Anyone know of a good mod for making chests/storage management easier/better? A friend was looking into it but the thing they ended up linking to me looks like a huge overhaul mod (Valheim+ or something?) and I think we just want something to make offloading stuff at our base a bit easier or something.

Valheim + actually does basically nothing on install - all of the modifications default to off. When you set it up, you just sort of pick which elements of it you want and enable them.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Valheim+ isn't really a huge overhaul mod if you don't want it to be. It is basically a giant set of extra settings and options, one of which is chest and inventory size.

It can do a lot more than that though, including iirc an auto-deposit option where it sorts items into chests if you already have that item in them.

Reik posted:

I think it's also different if you play solo vs in a group. When I play solo I can get all the materials I need out of a biome in one go and just do a single boat trip back to the central hub base, but if you've got half a dozen people operating at different times it's easier to bring the metal with you and set up a small base when you get there so people can come and go.

Also the benefit to building a mountain base is that snow doesn't degrade wood like rain does so you can get a lot more creative with your roof setups.
I did forget about a group. Yeah, probably a lot easier to just settle in the biome immediately with a group. Also I forgot about snow not degrading things. gently caress. I can stop roofing everything with stone and roofs there now.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

Valheim+ isn't really a huge overhaul mod if you don't want it to be. It is basically a giant set of extra settings and options, one of which is chest and inventory size.

It can do a lot more than that though, including iirc an auto-deposit option where it sorts items into chests if you already have that item in them.

I did forget about a group. Yeah, probably a lot easier to just settle in the biome immediately with a group. Also I forgot about snow not degrading things. gently caress. I can stop roofing everything with stone and roofs there now.

Yeah, you can build a stone keep and just use wooden floors as the roof, or any wooden piece you can run around on really.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

litany of gulps posted:

Valheim + actually does basically nothing on install - all of the modifications default to off. When you set it up, you just sort of pick which elements of it you want and enable them.

Oh interesting. How does it work/interact with a dedicated server? The other mods i had to install on the server & local. I assume this won't be much different, but then how does it get configured? Is it controlled by a file in the folder or in-game?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

Oh interesting. How does it work/interact with a dedicated server? The other mods i had to install on the server & local. I assume this won't be much different, but then how does it get configured? Is it controlled by a file in the folder or in-game?

As I understand it, there’s a server specific version of it that automatically configures any joining players to the server’s settings, as long as they have Valheim+ installed. I haven’t really messed with any of that though.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Don't feel compelled to repair water damage on every wooden surface, unless a troll comes by it probably won't get destroyed, just get used to the "outside" wood coloring.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Don't feel compelled to repair water damage on every wooden surface, unless a troll comes by it probably won't get destroyed, just get used to the "outside" wood coloring.

I don't mind the outside wood coloring if it's an entirely outside structure like a bridge but if it's like a patio connected to dry wood it really gets to me for some reason.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

johnny park posted:

This is a myth, there are no scent mechanics in the game

Well, poo poo, it looks like you're right. Pfft, this is the last time I listen to someone on the internet.

Thank you, someone else on the internet!

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

Virtually all mods are client side. V+ is nice because you say that you only want to do this one thing but when you decide you want to do thing 2 V+ probably already has it and you just need to enable it in the config.

Having said that, if you absolutely don't want to install the Swiss army knife that V+ is, you an take a look at Quick Stack - Store - Sort - Trash - Restock

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Reik posted:

I don't mind the outside wood coloring if it's an entirely outside structure like a bridge but if it's like a patio connected to dry wood it really gets to me for some reason.

Obviously we need a new recipe for wood sealant.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Glass of Milk posted:

Darkwood floor would be ideal. Or, as you say, just make it so you can build normal waterproof wood tiles with resin or something.

I'd like finewood and darkwood floors for color too.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Glass of Milk posted:

the vikings of olde figured out heat treatment, let us do that with the millions of extra surtur cores we all have lol

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
All of these build piece ideas plus stuff like half length angled beams and quarter sized roof pieces makes me hope that they release an advanced building update at some point.

Right now it seems like they're trying to have enough build pieces to be useful but not so many it's overwhelming to new players.

They could have a toggle for "advanced mode" that enables the much larger set of pieces.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

drewhead posted:

Virtually all mods are client side. V+ is nice because you say that you only want to do this one thing but when you decide you want to do thing 2 V+ probably already has it and you just need to enable it in the config.

Having said that, if you absolutely don't want to install the Swiss army knife that V+ is, you an take a look at Quick Stack - Store - Sort - Trash - Restock
I'm a bit confused about how the client side thing works with a mod like V+ that seems to have options like adjusting monster HP based on player counts or crafting-from-chest? What happens when players configure their V+ differently?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

The server side V+ settings override client side ones.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
quick fyi about spawning lots of materials for building

type in 'spawn BlackMarble 1600 p' (or whatever thing/quantity) and itll auto fill your inventory as much as it can before the rest goes on the ground. saves a lot of time

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FemaleThriftyAlabamamapturtle-mobile.mp4

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 6, 2023

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is there a mod that colors in territory that's considered "base" territory? I have one that draws dotted lines but it's nigh impossible to figure out just from dotted lines where there might be potential monster spawn points in my base.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

If there is it’ll be the second time my poo poo was rocked today. First was the trick to spawn stuff into your inventory by invoking P. Can’t believe that existed this whole time.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Argue posted:

Is there a mod that colors in territory that's considered "base" territory? I have one that draws dotted lines but it's nigh impossible to figure out just from dotted lines where there might be potential monster spawn points in my base.

ESP used to do this and more I haven’t tried it since Mistlands though.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

The 'p' trick is hella neat, but if you're spawning a shitload of building materials you might as well just use 'nocost'?

Edit: unless you're transferring stuff to a server, of course.

Ravenfood posted:

Darkwood floor would be ideal. Or, as you say, just make it so you can build normal waterproof wood tiles with resin or something.

I'd like finewood and darkwood floors for color too.
I'd loving love that too. And aged (not damaged) variants.
Also, wattle and daub walls. And threshing to throw on the ground. And...

anatomi fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 7, 2023

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

anatomi posted:

The 'p' trick is hella neat, but if you're spawning a shitload of building materials you might as well just use 'nocost'?

Edit: unless you're transferring stuff to a server, of course.

I'd loving love that too. And aged (not damaged) variants.
Also, wattle and daub walls. And threshing to throw on the ground. And...

And sod roofs

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Hell yeah. I think sod roofing is in the game files already? And/or turf walls. I may be misremembering.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Argue posted:

Don't monsters not spawn in a certain radius from crafting benches?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Don't monsters not spawn in a certain radius from crafting benches?

I thought it was in the crafting radius. I think torches also have a no spawn radius but I don't know what it is.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If we're talking things I would like for building elements, some earthen elements would be nice. I like making rammed earth and palisade walls but it would be nice to have an earth lump I could snap to the back of the palisade to make it join with the terrain.

No tensile strength and unable to support as much as proper stone, but it would be very good for early foundations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Yeah, there's a set of pieces that emit a "base" property, which includes but is not limited to crafting benches. I have a mod that draws dotted lines but it's nigh impossible to find the holes with a bunch of overlapping dotted lines. I'm trying the ESP mod now but I don't see any highlighted zones; I turned on both spawn points and spawn zones in the config but nothing's happened. Might be because it needs to be installed on the "admin client", which I assume is the server? But that doesn't make sense; if I can have a client-side mod that represents what I want as dotted lines, surely this doesn't need to be on the server either?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
So a question. Me and some friends want to build an eye of sauron type tower for a final project as we conquer the mistlands. The only way I can think of to do it the way we want is to use the DigDeeper mod that lets you raise earth as high as you want. Problem is, if I raise an earth tower and someone who doesn't have the mod comes close, the server won't recognize the earth tower as valid and deletes it.

The server is being run by a friend. How can we make it a requirement to have the DigDeeper mod for everyone? Or run it on the server to make it irrelevant for a client not to have it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Why not just build on top of one of the uninhabitated lighthouse rock spires

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Sorry, I should have noted that we want to build it in the Meadows or the Black Forest because we have a few friends who are slower and they are still in iron and silver gear.

If we built it in the mistlands they would get spoiled and wrecked.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Just use wood iron beams and hide them with black marble or stone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
As I said in the post, the way we want to have it requires use of the mod.