Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Yates posted:

Anybody tell him about the money yet?

I'm hoping they keep it quiet for a bit, but I'm sure someone has mentioned it by now. He has to be too exhausted to have much of a reaction. Just saw his GFM is at $7.83m. I wonder if it will crack $8m.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Did not think an outcome like this was even on the table. Unbelievable.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

WoodrowSkillson posted:

man it owns to be rich and get the actual best medical care

wtf is wrong with you?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Benjamin Disraeli posted:

Bills are going to destroy the Pats this weekend and I'm here for it.

The funnier outcome will be Pats win & get in to the playoffs, only to be shithoused by Bills again a week later. :v:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Lol hell yeah dude

https://twitter.com/JoeBuscaglia/status/1611392274981593088?t=e56oYaffX_GR8TO4vnNg3g&s=19

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Damar Hamlin' it up

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

Damar Hamlin' it up

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Stellar news. There is a world where he gets discharged pretty soon. Doctors had said last thing they were worried about was his breathing

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Modern medicine is a miracle, this is so good to hear. Wish I could see his smile when he heard about the toy drive :unsmith:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

adaz posted:

Stellar news. There is a world where he gets discharged pretty soon. Doctors had said last thing they were worried about was his breathing

Yeah. I wonder how soon he'll be able to fly home to his mother's to recover.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Obviously great news on its own, but for the med folks, does this mean he's out of the woods and we're just looking at how quickly he can recover or is there still some sort of relapse risk or something?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I definitely thought the weirdest part of the whole situation was when the on-field trainers refused to do CPR until hearing the value of his current contract and how much was guaranteed.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
How the absolute gently caress. Incredible

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

pseudodragon posted:

Obviously great news on its own, but for the med folks, does this mean he's out of the woods and we're just looking at how quickly he can recover or is there still some sort of relapse risk or something?

I mean he could always develop some kind of secondary infection in his throat or lungs, could conceivably push him into pneumonia (just like could happen to almost anyone in a hospital), but that's really pretty unlikely for a young healthy guy and I bet they took great care extubating him

edit: and there's always MRSA lurking around

mdemone fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 6, 2023

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

fsif posted:

Did not think an outcome like this was even on the table. Unbelievable.

It all depended on how quickly he got oxygen to his brain. I don't think people still quite understand just how much of a hero Denny Kellington is, never mind the rest of the Bills' staff.

Anyway, this absolutely rules. I'm glad it seems he'll largely be okay. :unsmith:

Like I posted yesterday, it'll probably be mostly about letting his jell-o-ized chest heal at this point; he's real similar to someone suffering a bunch of broken ribs from a bad tackle. He's out for the playoffs, no question, he m i g h t be okay to make some kind of token on-field appearance at the Super Bowl if/when the Bills get that far, but it'd probably still be a bad idea and I suspect McDermott & co will say no (despite how much the NFL head office ghouls would love the promo potential), but realistically you're talking about the 2023 preseason for a comeback. And hopefully we can actually have some discussions about chest guard designs and whatnot in the interim, now that America watched a man fall over dead from a "routine" tackle.

Lifespan posted:

I'm hoping they keep it quiet for a bit, but I'm sure someone has mentioned it by now. He has to be too exhausted to have much of a reaction. Just saw his GFM is at $7.83m. I wonder if it will crack $8m.

It's so stupid and inconsequential in the grand scope of things, but I really hope they manage to keep it a surprise from him until, like, he gets to do a public stream-broadcast or somesuch, and so everyone gets to see his live reaction to it. He's going to be over the moon, especially once he's fully awake and off the sedatives. :unsmith:

pseudodragon posted:

Med goons can correct me, but he should be mmmmmmostly okay. They're going to want to get as good a picture as they can of exactly what his neurological functions are like now (his cognition seems fine, from these reports, but fine motor control might remain a question mark), but assuming that checks out and there was no actual physical damage to his heart, he should just keep truckin' along like nothing happened. It'll be mostly about letting the rest of his chest heal from the necessary trauma of nine minutes of externally-induced cardiac function.

Tayter Swift posted:

Yeah. I wonder how soon he'll be able to fly home to his mother's to recover.

More room for medgoon correction, but probably next week. Based on similar experiences, they'll want to keep him over the weekend to check on his neurological state, and then it'll just be a matter of when his ribs are intact enough for him to be able to sit or stand without risk of re-injury, which prrrrrobably should be next week-ish.

also woodrow, man I do get it but c'mon. room reading.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
As far as I can tell he's still in critical condition, so he's probably not out of the woods yet.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SucBpQiwYZU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Just the best news.

As soon as he is able to walk unassisted (including crippling pain from the ribs/sternum) I believe he’ll want to be on the sidelines. Screw the NFL & all, but he’ll go when they say he’s ready.

No way he’ll play of course, but he’ll be on the sidelines.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Amazing

:hmmyes: Burn this face into your brain, Buffalo goons

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1611121121142931456
glad to see Mr. Hetfield found work after the music thing didn't work out

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

loving awesome

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

seiferguy posted:

As far as I can tell he's still in critical condition, so he's probably not out of the woods yet.

I’m sure he’s still a huge pneumonia risk and they’re likely doing a lot to manage other issues (metabolic derangement, renal status, chest trauma, full battery of neurological tests) so they’ll likely keep him “critical” in ICU for management, but being able to wean off tube so quickly is great.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The Dave posted:

I definitely thought the weirdest part of the whole situation was when the on-field trainers refused to do CPR until hearing the value of his current contract and how much was guaranteed.

This is not at all what he was saying and honestly these responses to his posts are stupider than the original.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

NFL announces tributes for damar this week. Includes a bunch of patches/warm up gear with the number 3 and some on field stuff

the nfl posted:

​With millions of fans continuing to keep Buffalo's Damar Hamlin in their thoughts, the NFL today announced a series of activations in support of the Bills safety that will occur across the league in Week 18.

All 32 clubs have the option to utilize the following activations with specific call outs noted that will be unique to Buffalo:

Pregame Moment of Support

The NFL distributed a public address announcement that clubs are encouraged to read prior to the national anthem as a unified show of support for Damar, the first responders and medical caregivers. The announcement will read as follows and be accompanied by a scoreboard graphic of Damar:

"Throughout this week, the entire NFL family has been praying for Damar Hamlin of the Buffalo Bills as he continues his recovery, and we thank the first responders and medical professionals involved in his care.

The [CLUB NAME] ask you to join us in a moment of support and love for Damar, and cheer for him and his family as they continue their fight."

Field Painting

All clubs (home & away) may outline the "3" in each 30-yard line number on the field in either Buffalo Bills Red or Buffalo Bills Blue.

Pregame Shirts

During warm-ups, all players throughout the league will have the option to wear black Nike t-shirts displaying "Love for Damar 3."

During warm-ups in Buffalo, Bills players will wear a similar Nike shirt but in the team's royal blue
New Era hats embroidered with a "3" on them will be provided to Bills football personnel to wear during warm-ups

"3" Jersey Patches for Buffalo

"3" jersey patches will be worn by the Buffalo Bills in Week 18.

Fans, clubs and players have been incredibly generous in support of Damar's GoFundMe fundraiser. A fund has been established by his family at The Giving Back Fund and donations can now be made directly by visiting chasingmsfoundation.com.

https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/NFL-CLUBS-TO-DEMONSTRATE-LEAGUE-WIDE-SUPPORT-FOR-BILLS-SAFETY-DAMAR-HAMLIN-IN-WEEK-18.aspx

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I literally cried tears of joy reading the news. Go Hamlin! Go Bills!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

BonoMan posted:

This is not at all what he was saying and honestly these responses to his posts are stupider than the original.

Part of comedy + jokes is embellishment :ssh:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

beep by grandpa posted:

Yeah but not appropriate for this thread. The shitposter should be ignored, not egged on by more people making spin off jokes about the lovely post.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

vasovagal syncope stuff

I have this as well, except all of mine are the dumbest poo poo imaginable (the drops that dilate your pupils at the eye doctor, being leaned too far back in a chair for too long, like at the dentist, stuff like that). Your experience of being able to tell when it's about to happen within 10-20 seconds basically mirrors mine. Dreams where I'm killed by shooting, stabbing, the dream ends with that sensation of way-too-low blood pressure in your chest. It's easy to see how people in the past would imagine that it's the feeling of your soul leaving your body.

Sash! posted:

"Lethal? That's a terrible name for a nurse" before going back to sleep.

The reception area of the doctor's office I go to has some (fake) red spider lily for decoration. I'm sure they don't know the implication but it's basically the floral symbolism of this.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
There is actual really good news here and something to be excited about, stop making GBS threads up the thread

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

beep by grandpa posted:

So is "being funny" but that didn't stop that poster either.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Not a fan of a moment of silence/support for a non dead guy.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

His heart stopped. Some say he DID die. Maybe take a moment of silence from posting

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

atomicdream posted:

After my c-section, which wasn't even really sedation, I kept trying to convince the nurses and docs to shop-vac all the extra blood out of me instead of letting me pass it later. I was apparently not very persuasive.

There was a post I saw where someone had some kind of surgery. While coming out of sedation, he told his wife he’s playing “the beep game.” He held his breath until an alarm went off and a nurse came in to yell at him while he laughed his rear end off.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

BrownThunder posted:

His heart stopped. Some say he DID die. Maybe take a moment of silence from posting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgSrvgRboAo&t=76s

But seriously how the hell do you go from CPR and intubation to flexing in three and a half days....

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

BrownThunder posted:

Oh he definitely died. It didn't take, though.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
His HEART gave LIFE a chop block but after conferring with PRAYERS, GOD picked up the flag

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

His HEART gave LIFE a chop block but after conferring with PRAYERS, GOD picked up the flag
LIFE has been diagnosed with a torn ACL & MCL, and will be out of action for the next 9-12 months. HEART has been suspended for two weeks and fined $50,000 for the chop block.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

But seriously how the hell do you go from CPR and intubation to flexing in three and a half days....

It sounds like the original reports of 9 minutes of ACLS were incorrect, as well as his heart stopping again once he got to the ER.

From the latest reports, it sounds like they did one round of CPR and got him back, which is about 2 minutes. That's compression and epinephrine, assuming there's not something different for that specific situation. I've not seen anything that says whether or not they shocked him with the AED. Remember, the whole "person being dead so they shock him" is a Hollywood thing; defibrillators only work if there' a rhythm they can shock. AED will check for rhythms and tell you to keep doing compressions or "time to shock!" It also keeps track of the time for you.

LeeMajors mentioned they would have kept him on the field while they hooked him up to EVERYTHING else (started lines, intubated, etc) so that might have explained the original 9 minutes thing. Still very severe and serious, but not doing compressions for 9 minutes as it originally seemed.

Regardless, its an amazing recovery, and I hope they release a report of the care he received and protocols they went through. Sort of like with Kevin Everett's injury when they released all the stuff about "actually we froze him." And then of course Everett had his amazing recovery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI6uYJrIqaw

After one of Weebly's posts I went back and read up on some protocols for management of patients in brain v lung injuries if you want some...light...reading.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8423666/

quote:

Management of the Brain-Lung Conflict
sABI can induce and worsen ARDS via multiple physiological pathways (Fig 1 ).6, 7, 8, 9 Many ARDS therapies can raise ICP or decrease CPP, potentiating secondary brain injury because of impaired cerebral autoregulation. In patients with concurrent ARDS-sABI, oxygenation, ventilation, and perfusion parameters considered standard ARDS care may insufficiently support the injured, hypermetabolic brain. Many ARDS studies excluded patients with sABI and therefore do not consider the physiological implications of ARDS management in patients with sABI. Some strategies for optimizing brain and lung physiology conflict; hence, nuanced management strategies are necessary (Fig 2 ).10 Here we discuss theoretic risks, discuss evidence-based treatment considerations, and propose management strategies extrapolated from existing data and expert opinion

And again, those athletic trainers are going to be gods in Buffalo. They deserve all the sex they're about to get. All that Buffalo style, nasty....depraved...public...table smashing...buffalo sauce covered...parking lot sex that takes them further from the grace of God.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Lowkey one of my favorite videos ever.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Crazy Ted posted:

Remember, Chris Pronger suffered a milder case of commotio cordis (where his heart didn't stop and he "just" had arrhythmia) and he was, genuinely, good to be back on the ice two days later. It all comes down to how quickly you can ensure the brain keeps getting oxygenated blood, and the Bills crew made sure Hamlin was getting that within sixty seconds of going down. Denny K and crew deserve all the credit in the world for acting that fast.

FizFashizzle posted:

depraved...public...table smashing...buffalo sauce covered...parking lot sex that takes them further from the grace of God.

excuse me but I think you will find that buffalo wing sauce, in whatever fashion it is utilized, is a vehicle of the LORD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Hamlin's all well and good but he's no Scott Sterling. Love that man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY2nVQNlUB8

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 6, 2023