Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Oh yeah also, while I've been kind of distracted by the whole thing going on, I'm pretty sure there's no flux stone anywhere on the drat map. Admittedly there's a LOT of map to search through with the hundred layers of solid rock, so hopefully I'll find some, but so far, not so much. My militia is rocking around in bronze because I'm so iron-starved.

:shobon: I love artifacts like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Flux stone is usually relatively close to the surface. Before embarking, you can sweep around the place you want to embark in with a smaller embark square to figure out exactly which part of your embark site has the stone/ore you're interested in.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Zeruel posted:

Is there a way to guarantee starting with elephants? Or is it a crapshoot at embark.

anything depending on surface animals relies on your civ's location.

thats one way to prevent embark profiles from screwing up, use materials only available underground like fungiwood or from domestic animal leather, or else leather and wood errors are very prominent.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Synthbuttrange posted:

anything depending on surface animals relies on your civ's location.

thats one way to prevent embark profiles from screwing up, use materials only available underground like fungiwood or from domestic animal leather, or else leather and wood errors are very prominent.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm thats a good tip. all my profiles poo poo out errors because ive got like a million different types of meat to get the most barrels I can use.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
This is why I didn't provide an embark profile when you asked for one. :v:

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
there's a "goblin fort" on one part of the world map, but goblins aren't listed as neighbours near it. does that mean it's an abandoned site or something?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nessus posted:

"Commander dragged up tree by duck; unconscious; savaged"

The terrible drake has come!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I kinda hate that dustings of mud can permanently turn rock floors into dirt/loam/sand if you let fungus grow on them.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hm this haunted area is a bit disappointing. the worst i have to deal with is no surface plants growing or harvestable at all. Even the trees are dead.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

I kinda hate that dustings of mud can permanently turn rock floors into dirt/loam/sand if you let fungus grow on them.

Ive noticed that building floors on floors isnt a problem apparently. I wonder how many floors i can build and what happens to the components underneath.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Redeye Flight posted:

Finally, at LEVEL MINUS ONE HUNDRED, I breach through the roof of the first cavern. We're only 29 levels above the bottom of the map. Fungiwood and tower-cap have never looked so beautiful. Just before I do this, the elves show up and declare that they've finally gotten sick of me cutting down what few trees existed on the mountain. They can go to Hell. I'm going to buzzcut this cavern's trees down and finally have some wood supply. There appear to be ant-men and troglodytes fighting it out down there so I may need to deploy the military just to protect said buzz-cutting.

So the thing is that when you generate a world using the island template, you get ridiculously deep worlds. On the other template you'll have the first cavern layer around 28-30 down.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Ive noticed that building floors on floors isnt a problem apparently. I wonder how many floors i can build and what happens to the components underneath.

I assumed I'd get the old floor back but it just disappeared

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

lih posted:

there's a "goblin fort" on one part of the world map, but goblins aren't listed as neighbours near it. does that mean it's an abandoned site or something?

You should be able to see the population by mousing over it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Zeruel posted:

good god is there a way for your broker to actually go to the trade depot instead of drink -> trade depot -> conduct meeting -> trade depot -> eat -> trade depot -> sleep ... etc?

If your broker is getting caught in conduct meeting, it sounds like they may be filling multiple roles, such as mayor/expedition leader, and getting roped into disruptive meetings with both the liaison and possibly random complainy dwarves.

Pick a dwarf to be your broker, and ONLY your broker, and set them to specialize to only assigned labors, and assign none. They’ll be ready to go at the drop of a hat then.

If you want to add a few extra non-disruptive tasks to fill the time between caravans, also making that dwarf your manager fits very nicely even in large forts. Just not anything that generates meetings, as even a small number of cranky dwarves can make for unending consolation sessions. I’d also avoid having them set do do any hauling, as that can eat an entire fort’s population for a bit if you’re not careful.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 6, 2023

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

Haven't had any luck with the workshop or google: anyone know of any mods to make it so you can put ores in crates? It seems really weird that bars can go in crates but ores can't. I'll probably just end up figuring out quantum stockpiles instead but I'd rather do something a bit less exploity if possible

i dont think there's anything explicitly preventing stones from being put in bins- the issue is the weight limit on bins is lower than most stones in the game. i haven't seen an exact number on the bin weight limit, but I think it's around 1000 units, whereas most rocks have weights ranging from 2500 to 5000. if you could find the bin weight limit in the raws, you could update the number yourself, just beware that it may result in hilariously slow hauling tasks whenever dwarves try to move the bins around

edit: i just checked in game and i'm completely wrong. rocks do completely outweigh everything else in the game, but i have several bins in my current fort with weight more weight allocated than the weight of a specific stone. no idea what the actual issue is, then. there might be an object size factor at play

note that this is also why stone stockpiles should be treated very carefully in general. designating giant stone stockpiles tends to grind the entire fortress to a halt as everybody ditches their jobs to move rocks around at painfully slow speeds. I would instead recommend designating a small stockpile (15-20 slots) for stone with a large number of wheelbarrows assigned (5 to 10). This will give stoneworkers a short hauling trip while minimizing the number of dwarves caught up in hauling tasks. there's really no need to move all the rocks in the fortress to one location, and as long as your stone workshops are near the rest of your fortress, all the loose rocks lying around will be consumed eventually anyway.

Venuz Patrol fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 6, 2023

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

are you though? :raise:

[edit] apparently that was grabbed just as a bone (invader pieces count as mundane bone apparently?). So it's just a door, but decorated with dwarf-bone

Nosre fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 6, 2023

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I got a forbidden beast yesterday that was a blob made of flame that shoots webs moments after I breached the first caverns. I eventually realized webs start on fire so it was essentially a sticky flamethrower. That didn't seem fair.

The only reason it hasn't killed everyone in my fort yet is because all that fire caused the FPS to drop to about 2. Might be time to abandon that one.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

just had a legendary gelder migrate in

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
You can just assign like 10 wheelbarrows to your stone stockpile and then designate the stock pile as the source stockpile for your workshops.

The wheel barrows basically make your dwarves move at normal speeds while moving stones and generally there won't be more hauling jobs assigned then wheel barrows, and if it's the assigned stockpile for the workshop your dwarves will just grab those instead of walking forever to grab distant ones.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, just set up some stockpiles with wheelbarrows for ores and non-economic rocks next to your smelters/workshops, and hauling is not a big issue anymore.

If you want to tidy up your base, there's a hide tool for that. Click on the rightmost option on the bottom menu, then the crossed out eye.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
beta for new Dwarf Therapist is out. no i dont know what it does. i expect that some of you will be highly excited for it though. https://github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist/releases/tag/df0.50-test1

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 6, 2023

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
picked this up yesterday on steam and i got a couple of quick q:

should I just keep the kitchen doing meals infinitely and my jeweler decorating until my stock of mussel shells empties out?

I also laid down a nest box but apparently that doesnt magically spawn a chicken so I tried having the butcher catch a live animal, but none of the butcher tasks seems to stick, like there's no materials to do them?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

should I just keep the kitchen doing meals infinitely and my jeweler decorating until my stock of mussel shells empties out?

I also laid down a nest box but apparently that doesnt magically spawn a chicken so I tried having the butcher catch a live animal, but none of the butcher tasks seems to stick, like there's no materials to do them?

re nest boxes, you can bring a chicken on embark or buy one from a trader (they come around yearly, depending on other factors). they you can give the hen a nest box and theyll start laying eggs

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

A legendary beast carried a printer all the way to my fortress

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Honest Thief posted:

The only downside to constantly cooking is that it uses up ingredients. Which is a bad thing because it will by default use up all your booze and bookmaking material. You want to go into the labors menu and disable cooking for all drinks, as well as all brewable plants.

If your fort does not have any shells, Fun might happen.

To get large enough birds into be useful, you will have to catch them in cage traps or buy them from merchants.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Gnoman posted:

The only downside to constantly cooking is that it uses up ingredients. Which is a bad thing because it will by default use up all your booze and bookmaking material. You want to go into the labors menu and disable cooking for all drinks, as well as all brewable plants.

how do I check if a plant's breweable btw? the Ui has been very good and intuitive except for when trying to figure out what something can be used for

Jinnigan posted:

re nest boxes, you can bring a chicken on embark or buy one from a trader (they come around yearly, depending on other factors). they you can give the hen a nest box and theyll start laying eggs

and to give her a nest box it's just like assigning a room?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Honest Thief posted:

Infinite meals is a great way to break the economy because they sell for quite a bit, but the tradeoff is the need to make barrels to store them. I would keep pop x2 meals on hand minimum, but past that, I'd say resource availability and your willingness to piss off elves (if using wood barrels) is a factor in this decision.

I personally don't decorate with animal byproducts, because it can make formerly elf-safe products no longer elf-safe without the issue becoming obvious at a glance on the trade screen. Instead, I'll do shell/bone crafts, which I can tell isn't for elves at a glance, even after decorating.

Honest Thief posted:

Do you have cages? Animal traps? Easier to trade for birds or embark with them, personally.

Honest Thief posted:

how do I check if a plant's breweable btw? the Ui has been very good and intuitive except for when trying to figure out what something can be used for

If you look in the Labor screen, the standing orders for kitchen ingredients let you control what gets cooked and brewed, and only brewables can be given permission to brew. You may want to turn off cooking with seeds and booze, by the way, because that ends in shortages. Plump helmets especially don't want to be cooked, because you can't get more spawn to plant if you do.

Nest boxes are auto claimed.

BurntCornMuffin fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 6, 2023

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Honest Thief posted:

Check the Kitchen settings, it's one of the sub-tabs on the Labor screen. It'll show all the things you have that can be involved in cooking, and let you toggle whether they may be used for cooking and/or brewing.

Nest boxes don't get assigned, they just get taken.
The best is to designate a Pen zone including the nest boxes and put your egg layers in that.
If you want the eggs to hatch, you also need to prevent your dwarves from collecting them, either with a locked door, or by forbidding the eggs after they are laid but before they are picked up.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

i have a question for youse guys. what's your rule of thumb for having 'enough' food for your dwarves? like in a supply chain i might think "oh i just got 10 more immigrants, i should plop down 2 more food buildings."

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Be sure to take a glance at all the options under the labor tab, especially under standing orders. A lot of very common headaches, like dwarves running off to haul bodies in the middle of a fight, can be solved by fiddling with those.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

once again plugging this series of short tutorials, which are super handy for new players

Jinnigan posted:

Blind's "short tutorial" series is superb. Little 5-10minute explanations of how a mechanic works. It's what I've been using to grow my ambitions from "survive for a year" to "build a self-sustaining fortress that can start pumping out tons of blocks, for megaproject and defenses."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYw2go17SqI

click through and you'll see the playlist.

i actually wouldn't recommend watching them in order, they're not organized in a linear way or building on top of the previous one. just click the ones that sound interesting or relevant to you.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jinnigan posted:

i have a question for youse guys. what's your rule of thumb for having 'enough' food for your dwarves? like in a supply chain i might think "oh i just got 10 more immigrants, i should plop down 2 more food buildings."

Dwarves eat approximately 2 units of food per season (so 8 per year) on average according to the wiki, and 5 (20) drinks. Speaking to things like farm plots is a lot more complicated since skill has an immense effect on yield and the Steam patch changed food production a bunch, but that should at least give you a target stock level to shoot for.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Infinite meals is a great way to break the economy because they sell for quite a bit, but the tradeoff is the need to make barrels to store them. I would keep pop x2 meals on hand minimum, but past that, I'd say resource availability and your willingness to piss off elves (if using wood barrels) is a factor in this decision.

there's an economy??

Jinnigan posted:

once again plugging this series of short tutorials, which are super handy for new players

oh sweet, thanks I was trying to figure how to make a bridge

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

of course it was completely logical, but the first time I got a caravan when I started playing recently, I had my dwarves haul a lot of excess ore I couldn't do anything with to the trader depot thinking I could sell it off for a quick buck or two, not realizing that the caravan had a very low weight limit in comparison. distraught after making my dwarves haul 70 tons of stone for no reason, I then made them haul it back. I feel very sorry for them

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tosk posted:

of course it was completely logical, but the first time I got a caravan when I started playing recently, I had my dwarves haul a lot of excess ore I couldn't do anything with to the trader depot thinking I could sell it off for a quick buck or two, not realizing that the caravan had a very low weight limit in comparison. distraught after making my dwarves haul 70 tons of stone for no reason, I then made them haul it back. I feel very sorry for them
Little shits got swole, I am sure

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Tambaloneus posted:

Let's pretend someone was lazy at the start of the fort building process and just assigned stockpiles as "what-loving-ever" and now has a bunch of bins they need to sort before the rsi of "I have to click every damnable thing in here so the king wont bash my doods for selling a loving earring" I set up stockpiles but only new stuff ever goes in there. All the old stuff is on the floor rn. I figure that they only move a bin if everything in the bin can go in the stockpile. I tried setting 'dump' on some stuff figuring I'd undump it later but it never got moved, even after a year.

What do you all do? (other than sigh, resign ones self to failure and take more advil the next trading caravan that shows up).

I haven't had much luck getting dwarves to take items out of containers using "hauling" type tasks. I had a similar issue where a bin that had ropes and mugs was sitting in my trade depot for years because I didn't have any stockpiles that could accept both, and the dwarves just wouldn't take the items out of the bin to move them to the right stockpile individually no matter what I did. Similarly when I tried to set up a food stockpile that didn't use barrels that was fed by a food stockpile that DID use barrels, the dwarves never actually moved food from the feeder stockpile to the destination.

Only thing I can think of that you might try to separate them is decorating them by using stockpile/workshop-link related shenanigans. Dwarves seem okay with taking individual items out of barrels/bins it it's for a workshop-related task. So they should take the items out of the bin to decorate them, and then if you set the workshop to output to the correct types of stockpiles they shouldn't end up back in the bin. Just make sure the workshop can access the bin by putting it in a stockpile for that purpose first.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

Jinnigan posted:

I start the game with one dedicated cook (who doesn't really do anything but cook) and one dedicated brewer (who doesn't really do anything but make booze) and I build a kitchen and still ASAP. After that, I keep "prepare a [blank] meal" and "brew drink from [blank]" on repeat, checking periodically to make sure that I haven't run out of barrels or whatever. I make fairly small farm plots (maybe 10x10 or so) one downstairs for plump helmets, one upstairs (surrounded by a wall, accessible by a staircase) for strawberries or whatever. I raise chickens, sheep, and goats for meat. I buy lots of meat, fish, and produce from caravans.

When the population hits 100 or so, I make a second kitchen and a second still. When I can, I buy out the caravan's supply of meat, fish, drinks, and brewable produce.

This is overkill, but nobody starves and nobody dies of thirst.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Until your drat cooks turn everything into dwarven ale roasts. I always make sure to turn off cooking plump helmets and at least one booze type

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I've got mountains of lye but no one wants to make potash even when I assign them the labor. What gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Famethrowa posted:

I've got mountains of lye but no one wants to make potash even when I assign them the labor. What gives?
You got bucket?