Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
So I uncovered a Terrible Thing. I sent my well trained Mace Lords and Axe Lords at it, but it made swift work of them. What did the trick you ask? 20 crossbowdwarves... bashing it with their crossbows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah my militia commander has been dragged up a tree by a duck and is unconscious and being savaged by it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yeah my militia commander has been dragged up a tree by a duck and is unconscious and being savaged by it.

Is there a way to make a whole post the thread title?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

"Commander dragged up tree by duck; unconscious; savaged"

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

:shobon:

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I will say that having taken a look at the OP semi-recently, I do think it could do with either a new thread or at least an entire first post overhaul. Because right now it doesn't give much indication that the steam version is not only here but also way more accessible to a boatload of people. (I mean the entire post is old ascii stuff with the helpful announcement.txt at the very bottom.)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Everyone's too busy playing DF to make a new OP

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Steam has been released! The dwarf has been scalded! x40

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

yay lol

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

new OP title right here

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

help

the duck is back

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Time to cage it, edit the raws, and war train it

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

That is Boreivy to you. It is her fortress now.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

How the gently caress do I get a dwarf to appraise things better. Small trades? Pushups? "Dwarven sugar"?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

is it just me, or is it incredibly silly that dwarves can walk diagonally, but can only build diagonally if they could get to the tile they're building orthogonally? if they can walk there they should be able to build there. it's also about as unintuitive as it could possibly be

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Azhais posted:

Time to cage it, edit the raws, and war train it

Unless it's been changed once an animal goes Maneater and gets a title it's always hostile even when tamed.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
If a giantess is standing on a bridge, I can't retract it can I? I have a lever set to make two bridges retract but only one did. The other has a very large woman on it.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

I gotta say once i got a squad of 10 iron clad dwarves wielding silver hammers I did not expect the field of teeth after a small melee.

Anyway to slow the endless onslaught of questers trying to steal my artifacts they will never even get close to?

Im in my best game yet thanks to a high magma tube in the first cavern but at 120 dwarves it feels like they take longer to make things than ever.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Decided to try out DF after playing it long, long, long ago when I read Boatmurdered.

I thought I was doing alright, for a first try - 18 dwarves, year 2, got farms, got workshops, got steel, got a happy tavern with visiting adventurers.

The dead rise! I managed to kill the Necromancer but zombies have killed everybody but a human poet who petitioned to join me just as the siege started, who is now cowering in an empty, unfinished exploratory mining corridor while the few remaining zombies look for her. 10/10

Edit: They can't find her (bottom of the screen) so they're just killing every animal they can find. A visiting dwarf hides in the kitchen.

Green Wing fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 6, 2023

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Krataar posted:

I gotta say once i got a squad of 10 iron clad dwarves wielding silver hammers I did not expect the field of teeth after a small melee.

Anyway to slow the endless onslaught of questers trying to steal my artifacts they will never even get close to?

Im in my best game yet thanks to a high magma tube in the first cavern but at 120 dwarves it feels like they take longer to make things than ever.

display the artifact on a pedestal and put it behind some nice wall grates.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So uh building destroyers are absolutely working. Just had a dragon show up and absolutely demolish every drawbridge I've built.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Baronjutter posted:

So uh building destroyers are absolutely working. Just had a dragon show up and absolutely demolish every drawbridge I've built.

odd, I've got a bronze colossus that I'm pretty sure is a building destroyer stuck in a room with a bunch of random furniture and he remains completely uninterested in all of it, including a simple forbidden same-z-level rock door that's all that stands between him and the ability to eventually path to the rest of my fort

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

That has me a bit worried, I thought that bridges were immune to destruction? Did you try to lower the bridge on them? While falling bridges typically smash stuff, if the creature is big enough the bridge will simply deconstruct every time.

Outside of that, is it possible to have an aquifer layer in the caverns? This is where I just dug to. I see the damp warning but I don't see any water flowing out of the walls.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 6, 2023

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Drawbridges aren't normally destructible to begin with, it sounds like the dragon maybe breathed fire at stuff and it melted from that. I've posted about this several times but I've also had things completely uninterested in destroying doors even after walking up to them. Pretty sure I've seen people show screenshots of like, forgotten beast web farms where the only thing between them is a forbidden door.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

wow, these guys are uh, really into animal diseases

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Haven't had any luck with the workshop or google: anyone know of any mods to make it so you can put ores in crates? It seems really weird that bars can go in crates but ores can't. I'll probably just end up figuring out quantum stockpiles instead but I'd rather do something a bit less exploity if possible

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

poemdexter posted:

If a giantess is standing on a bridge, I can't retract it can I? I have a lever set to make two bridges retract but only one did. The other has a very large woman on it.

Yeah if there’s a creature that is too heavy the drawbridge just won’t respond. Goblin sieges that have trolls can be dangerous if you use drawbridges for defense.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Dang, is there any way to import Rock Crystal? I couldn't find uncut gems on the diplomacy menu, and I'm not having much luck finding them while digging either. I also noticed that they get cut by jewelers unless you specify individual gem types to cut :pwn:

I recommend setting up a rough gem stockpile next to your jeweler's workshops, permitting every gem except rock crystal, then setting the jeweler's workshops to only take from that stockpile. You can send the rock crystal to a stockpile near your glass kilns.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturę et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan

Nessus posted:

Synthbuttrange posted:

new OP title right here

Beautiful :supaburn:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

good god is there a way for your broker to actually go to the trade depot instead of drink -> trade depot -> conduct meeting -> trade depot -> eat -> trade depot -> sleep ... etc?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
just had a legendary gelder migrate in

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

JerikTelorian posted:

That has me a bit worried, I thought that bridges were immune to destruction? Did you try to lower the bridge on them? While falling bridges typically smash stuff, if the creature is big enough the bridge will simply deconstruct every time.

Outside of that, is it possible to have an aquifer layer in the caverns? This is where I just dug to. I see the damp warning but I don't see any water flowing out of the walls.

It is possible though im not sure they work in caverns. I posted this a few pages ago but toady made it so that sedimentary layers go deeper but a side effect is many more layers of aquifer, sometimes reaching far enough into a cavern

Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

Bad Tabletop Opinions Haver

nielsm posted:

A new version was released (50.05).

Hooray!!! I've been unable to load my fortress all week because of an erroneous toad with gender 2000 brought by some fiendish antmen. Clearly they knew my fort's real weakness

Macdoo fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jan 6, 2023

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Wafflecopper posted:

is it just me, or is it incredibly silly that dwarves can walk diagonally, but can only build diagonally if they could get to the tile they're building orthogonally? if they can walk there they should be able to build there. it's also about as unintuitive as it could possibly be

Honestly my biggest pet peeve in DF is that you can't smooth walls across from down ramps. I use ramps a lot in my fortress designs rather than staircases and it just pisses me off that I have that one wall unsmoothed. Like, let the mfers use stepladders for it or something, drat.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Let's pretend someone was lazy at the start of the fort building process and just assigned stockpiles as "what-loving-ever" and now has a bunch of bins they need to sort before the rsi of "I have to click every damnable thing in here so the king wont bash my doods for selling a loving earring" I set up stockpiles but only new stuff ever goes in there. All the old stuff is on the floor rn. I figure that they only move a bin if everything in the bin can go in the stockpile. I tried setting 'dump' on some stuff figuring I'd undump it later but it never got moved, even after a year.

What do you all do? (other than sigh, resign ones self to failure and take more advil the next trading caravan that shows up).

Edit: my caverns were full of rat people until a forgotten beast that seemed kind of like a killing machine showed up, ruined 60 of them then sat around for ages whining about the smell of its own rotten feet. Another forgotten beast shows up as 'a giant wren' who shoots poison and killed 'rat killer' and then the forgotten wren was ganked by the next rodent wave. Tis truly the circle of life down there.

Tambaloneus fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 6, 2023

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've had some extremely minor amounts of luck setting up stockpiles with 0 max bins and the request the items I want from the other stockpile but it's really spotty

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tambaloneus posted:

Let's pretend someone was lazy at the start of the fort building process and just assigned stockpiles as "what-loving-ever" and now has a bunch of bins they need to sort before the rsi of "I have to click every damnable thing in here so the king wont bash my doods for selling a loving earring" I set up stockpiles but only new stuff ever goes in there. All the old stuff is on the floor rn. I figure that they only move a bin if everything in the bin can go in the stockpile. I tried setting 'dump' on some stuff figuring I'd undump it later but it never got moved, even after a year.

What do you all do? (other than sigh, resign ones self to failure and take more advil the next trading caravan that shows up).

Make a shitton of new stockpiles, all specialized for single item types (remembering to still allow all appropriate materials and qualities), delete the old stockpile, and wait for them to sort everything into the new stockpiles. All those specialized stockpiles probably don't be quite as large as the original one too, and you can just make more of those stockpiles around the place as they fill up, instead of expanding them.
One stockpile for scepters only, one for rings only, one for mugs only, one for quires only, etc.

Another advantage is that it can give a much better overview of what items you have a lot of and where you might be lacking.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Holy poo poo, this embark is OUTRAGEOUS.

So I decide I finally want to fucks with a volcano, so I set off for one. There's no surface water and basically no trees, but I expected that, so I came prepared. The plan is to set up shop around the crater, get some basic stuff set up, and then Drill Baby Drill to the caverns to get their trees and water.

Setup goes nicely, I start building a forge-temple out over the caldera, and the miners start to set off for the caverns. We're 50 levels up, so it's going to be a ways off, but once we make it we can move the water closer to us and set up tree farms higher up.

Oh, so I thought.

I get drilled down to 0, no sign of the caverns. Well, maybe I just haven't branched out enough. I send out some feeler passages, nothing. Keep drilling. There's also not a whole lot of iron down here, at least not on my path, though there's an assload of just about everything else.

Goblins start poking their noses in. I basically have to draft all the hunters kicking around and throw together a military, start slamming down cage traps all over because I don't have armor yet, I've been focusing on my exploratory drive down. -25, branching every five levels to basically horizontally cross the map. Nothing.

-50. Nothing. Now I'm starting to get really worried and annoyed. With no surface water ANYWHERE on the map, any wound is an immediate death sentence. Right on cue, the goblins start showing up with sieges and I start losing people -- some in the first attack, others to wither away in the hospital. There is not an ounce of water on the map, and to make matters worse the trees are running out. I'm having trouble building beds and also supplying ash for glass production so I can idiot-proof my caldera forge. The humans also aren't sending a diplomat so I have one caravan a year I can tell to send me all the logs they can cut. Fortunately, with sand and lava glass furnaces I can produce basically infinite barrels, but bins are becoming something of an issue.

I order a complete honeycomb of level 0 from border to border. Absolutely nothing. I drill exploratory stairwells all over the mountainside from the surface, hoping to hit an aquifer. Nothing anywhere. There is absolutely no water.

Year 3, the goblins attack again. Bigger this time, a huge brawl on my forge because I forgot to take down some of the scaffolding. Two goblins get punted into the magma and die horribly. However, three of my military -- three of the best -- get wounded.

I order the miners to just go straight for the bottom. -60, -70, -80. Nothing. One by one my wounded die because there is no water to tend to them. I'm drowning in mineral wealth and choking on dust.

Finally, at LEVEL MINUS ONE HUNDRED, I breach through the roof of the first cavern. We're only 29 levels above the bottom of the map. Fungiwood and tower-cap have never looked so beautiful. Just before I do this, the elves show up and declare that they've finally gotten sick of me cutting down what few trees existed on the mountain. They can go to Hell. I'm going to buzzcut this cavern's trees down and finally have some wood supply. There appear to be ant-men and troglodytes fighting it out down there so I may need to deploy the military just to protect said buzz-cutting.

And you know what else?

THERE'S STILL NO loving WATER! I'm praying to God and Armok there's some in the other parts of Cavern 1 that I can't see from my main stairwell, but there is none in sight from here. Injuries are still a death sentence. Wells still bone dry. Can't even set up tree farming at anywhere closer to my actual fortress yet because there's no. loving. Water. I need to keep going.

One hundred and fifty levels of solid rock around a lava pipe.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jan 6, 2023

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Is there a way to guarantee starting with elephants? Or is it a crapshoot at embark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Consider making bridges out of ash if you're worried about dragons.

This is not a joke.