Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

shyduck posted:

Anybody hear about that Bedard kid? Yeah he's pretty great, generational talent they say. Anyway, the Flyers have won 4 straight
Meanwhile the Pens have lost 4 straight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

shyduck posted:

Anybody hear about that Bedard kid? Yeah he's pretty great, generational talent they say. Anyway, the Flyers have won 4 straight

It's incredible how seeing this team win has made so many flyers fans I know incredibly angry

Can't do anything right :(

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Good soup! posted:

It's incredible how seeing this team win has made so many flyers fans I know incredibly angry

Can't do anything right :(

The metro is once again already turning into a bloodbowl for playoff positioning. Carolina should own the number one spot for the rest of the year barring a catastrophe and the other two slots plus the two wildcard spots will cycle between NJD, NYR, NYI, WSH, and PIT if they can keep their act together. There’s no room for PHI.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Boston has 30 wins and it's only January 6

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Rangers v Devils tomorrow looks like it's for second place in the division

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

achillesforever6 posted:

Meanwhile the Pens have lost 4 straight

The Pens are bad and missing their top 2 right handed d men isn't helping. Mike Sullivan deciding he's going to play Ty Smith 25 minutes a night isn't either.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I have money now on Boston winning the Cup and Ullmark winning the Vezina. Because if the results on ice are going to make me sad, I might as well get cash from it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

rex rabidorum vires posted:

The Pens are bad and missing their top 2 right handed d men isn't helping. Mike Sullivan deciding he's going to play Ty Smith 25 minutes a night isn't either.

Without Letang and Petry they're just a pretty bad team with a totally untenable D-corps and while Sullivan's deployments aren't helping, there's nothing any coach can really do about it. They probably aren't going to make the playoffs.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Chad Sexington posted:

I have money now on Boston winning the Cup and Ullmark winning the Vezina. Because if the results on ice are going to make me sad, I might as well get cash from it.

I feel like Carolina is the better bet. While I would like the Bruins to win, of course, going through the Atlantic side of the bracket is brutal. They'll almost certainly have to face one or both of Toronto and Tampa Bay at some point, and then maybe Carolina on top of that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Please don’t remind me that we live in the hell timeline.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I feel like Carolina is the better bet. While I would like the Bruins to win, of course, going through the Atlantic side of the bracket is brutal. They'll almost certainly have to face one or both of Toronto and Tampa Bay at some point, and then maybe Carolina on top of that.

I can't fault your logic, but I just don't really believe in Carolina in the playoffs. High volume perimeter shooters, middling to bad special teams, goaltending question marks. And any of the other Metro teams can go super saiyan randomly.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I dunno I have no faith in Carolina suddenly figuring it out this year. I don't think their style can get them through the playoffs. I also just dislike them so am biased.

Basically what Chad said

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah also agree. They're always going to be able to win any game but elite teams aren't really going to have a problem handling them in a best of 7.

As for Boston, we'll see if they're as healthy in June as they've been most of the year. If they are, it's tough to see any other East team besides Tampa and maybe NYR if they turn things around beating them in the playoffs.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Ditto on Carolina. They create a zillion ok to bad chances which the vast majority of playoff team contenders have goalies that can deal with them. Then Carolina gets into coin flip situations with high dangers where their goaltending wilts and they lose.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I dunno, I feel like that's a weird assessment of the Hurricanes. If they were losing in the first round every year, then yea, but in the last four years they've been to the Conference Finals once and the second round three times. Well I guess one of those years the "second" round was actually after a qualifying round, so maybe that only half counts, but still. It's not like they're losing in the first round every year like the Leafs.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 6, 2023

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Ditto on Carolina. They create a zillion ok to bad chances which the vast majority of playoff team contenders have goalies that can deal with them. Then Carolina gets into coin flip situations with high dangers where their goaltending wilts and they lose.

This sounds like the Devils except the Devils create more high danger chances but have more defensive lapses

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Maybe I've caught them on the wrong nights but I haven't been that impressed when I've watched Boston. They're obviously good but they're riding unbelievable goaltending from Ullmark. We'll see if that continues into the playoffs. But I never watch them and think oh yeah this team is asserting its will and dominating xyz opponent. For the record they have I'd expect to watch them and see them kicking the poo poo out of their opponents and owning the puck but I rarely feel that way with them.

I have had that feeling watching Carolina but my issue with Carolina is they lack any creativity to their game and I'm not sure their whole gimmick of being more relentless than anyone else will give them the separation they need in the playoffs to win.

In conclusion I'm impressed by nobody so maybe Toronto can actually win the cup this year

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 6, 2023

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
I have watched Boston play two games this year, and in both games they lost to the Ottawa Senators, so my conclusion is that the Bruins are not good.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I dunno, I feel like that's a weird assessment of the Hurricanes. If they were losing in the first round every year, then yea, but in the last four years they've been to the Conference Finals once and the second round three times. Well I guess one of those years the "second" round was actually after a qualifying round, so maybe that only half counts, but still. It's not like they're losing in the first round every year like the Leafs.

Yeah it's what they do. They crush mediocre teams. They finish high, have no trouble with whatever lesser team they play in the first round (Boston last year was a stiffer challenge than usual) then they have to play an actual contender and they lose.

It's a real good place for the Hurricanes to be after a decade of losing real bad, but Brind'Amour may not be the guy for taking a good team to the Cup.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ginette Reno posted:

Maybe I've caught them on the wrong nights but I haven't been that impressed when I've watched Boston. They're obviously good but they're riding unbelievable goaltending from Ullmark. We'll see if that continues into the playoffs. But I never watch them and think oh yeah this team is asserting its will and dominating xyz opponent. For the record they have I'd expect to watch them and see them kicking the poo poo out of their opponents and owning the puck but I rarely feel that way with them.

I usually don't feel like they're crushing teams either to be honest. They have games where they dominate the opposition, but more often than not it feels like more of a "they won't go away" thing. There hasn't been a game all year where I felt like "well, they're too far behind now" and started watching something else. Every game is just relentless, consistent, effort, and they just seem to wear down the other team.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bub spank posted:

I have watched Boston play two games this year, and in both games they lost to the Ottawa Senators, so my conclusion is that the Bruins are not good.

Yeah but you don't have to play the Senators in the playoffs.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah it's what they do. They crush mediocre teams. They finish high, have no trouble with whatever lesser team they play in the first round (Boston last year was a stiffer challenge than usual) then they have to play an actual contender and they lose.

It's a real good place for the Hurricanes to be after a decade of losing real bad, but Brind'Amour may not be the guy for taking a good team to the Cup.
I think the big issue with the Hurricanes is that there absolute best players aren't as good as say Boston's or Tampa's. From their end you would have been hoping for Aho/Svechnikov would get to that next level. I don't think that's something a coaching change fixes and I'd rate them really high in areas that are more attributable to coaching.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah that's true and there's also their organizational philosophy that goalies are fungible at the NHL level--which I happen to think they are mostly correct about, but the record does show their goaltending regularly lets them down in the playoffs.

Aho is a legit superstar and absolutely good enough to be the best player on a Cup team IMO, but he's the only player at that level they have.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah that's true and there's also their organizational philosophy that goalies are fungible at the NHL level--which I happen to think they are mostly correct about, but the record does show their goaltending regularly lets them down in the playoffs.

Aho is a legit superstar and absolutely good enough to be the best player on a Cup team IMO, but he's the only player at that level they have.

They really could use a top pair defenseman , someone like that dude that NJ signed 2 years ago.

Although on a real note, if I remember right Slavin’s stats are in line with being a top defenseman as well.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
The Sabres, Red Wings and Senators all have more points than Florida with less games played, what an absolute trainwreck. No 1st rounder for 3 years lol

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Next comes Barkov demanding a trade.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Boston is pretty simple I think, if Ullmark is a .940 goalie they're going to be a heavy favorite to win the Cup. If he's back to his career #s, they're still very good but just another one of the many contenders in the East.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Eric the Mauve posted:

Next comes Barkov demanding a trade.

I’m sure Florida will accept one slightly dented Lucic. I’m sure Tkatchuk loves him so it’s win win.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There are only three contenders in the East: Boston, Tampa, and Carolina. The Rangers could still get back into that group but it looks unlikelier with each passing week. I'm still not buying Lindy's team as a contender. And the Leafs are, forever and amen, the Leafs.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

There are only three contenders in the East: Boston, Tampa, and Carolina. The Rangers could still get back into that group but it looks unlikelier with each passing week. I'm still not buying Lindy's team as a contender. And the Leafs are, forever and amen, the Leafs.

As much as we lol and haha at them, Toronto is absolutely a contender. 4th best 5v5 xgoals, elite finishers, goaltending is decent this year.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Are you aware that they are the Toronto Maple Leafs?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Favorites: Boston/Carolina

Legitimate Threats: Tampa/Toronto

Up and Coming: New Jersey/Rangers

Old but Capable: Washington/Pittsburgh

Likely Cannon Fodder: Buffalo/Islanders (with a big asterisk that playoff Islanders + Sorokin pulling a Halak would be really scary if you lose a home game or two)

I probably wouldn't pick any of the bottom four to win a round come playoff team (well maybe Pittsburgh or Washington if they sneak in to a 2v3 matchup in the Metro), but I don't think there's really anyone good enough to survive really bad/really good goaltending.

e: and it's still possible Florida makes some kind of crazy run, more and more unlikely as the games go by, but not impossible. If they somehow make it uhhh throw them in tier 2 or 3.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 6, 2023

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Are you aware that they are the Toronto Maple Leafs?

The Pens were playoff chokers for years too

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Weird, in the past Bostonians have tended to lose badly on January 6th.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Boston is a blue city, dummy. Being racist is bipartisan.

Ginette Reno posted:

As much as we lol and haha at them, Toronto is absolutely a contender. 4th best 5v5 xgoals, elite finishers, goaltending is decent this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZmZLvk6L5A

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

The Pens were playoff chokers for years too

There are playoff chokers in later rounds and then there's collapsing year after year in the first round of the playoffs and not winning a playoff series in living memory.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ginette Reno posted:

About that

https://twitter.com/jonassiegel/status/1611192690699288576?s=20&t=ymrPSI0ZJ2wabywn6Z15xA

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

The Dirty Burger posted:

The Sabres, Red Wings and Senators all have more points than Florida with less games played, what an absolute trainwreck. No 1st rounder for 3 years lol

Paul Maurice has ruined hockey.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

But the Athletic just said yesterday that Jack Campbell Matt Murray having a strong month of November has fixed their crease issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

There are playoff chokers in later rounds and then there's collapsing year after year in the first round of the playoffs and not winning a playoff series in living memory.

It's coming. This is the year

They're just timing it so it will heat back up by playoff time