Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
what is up with goaltending, it’s spelled kuemper you fucks

Propaganda Hour posted:

n/v for Nov+Dec is going to be the Blues upcoming 7 game losing streak

they did not have a 7 game losing streak in november or december

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

:toxx: The Buffalo Sabres will make the playoffs this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Habs left Jake Allen in for all 9 goals lol

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

big roy moment

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

ThinkTank posted:

One of my hockey podcast co-hosts was at that game with his toddler and she had a lot of fun throwing her dad's hat on the ice :3:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Montreal Canadiens are a hockey team.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/Capitals/status/1609328978426314752

Up to 805.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

I love to rebuild.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Happy new year! 2023 is the year the Sabres will break the curse!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
It was nice of the Leafs to end the previous year by thrashing the Colorado Avalanche, proving that they are indeed the best team in hockey.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Hand Knit posted:

It was nice of the Leafs to end the previous year by thrashing the Colorado Avalanche, proving that they are indeed the best team in hockey.

They truly play their best hockey in December.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Looking over the standings to see how crazy Bobman's toxx was. Even if you assume the Penguins and Islanders (or Devils and Caps, whatever) will both collapse so the Atlantic can send 4 teams, the Sabres still need to get ahead of the Red Wings while also not being caught by the Panthers or Senators (yes the Senators are only 3 points behind them, and IMO will be dangerous if/when they fire their incompetent coach).

But the silver lining I just noticed is that the Sabres have weirdly only played 34 games, they have 2-3 games in hand on everyone else except the Red Wings. So that does help a lot. But there are a lot of teams they have to catch. They're 6 points back of the current 3-way tie for 7th-9th place in the conference, and 6 points is actually a ton when you're chasing multiple teams and also have multiple teams right beside you. Put another way even if you assume all 3 games in hand are wins, that still only puts them into a 4-way tie for 7th-10th.

The Metro is a gigantic clusterfuck. The Hurricanes are the clear #1 and then it's a quagmire of shaky teams. The Caps' position (3 points ahead of the PIT/NYI/NYR tie) is more precarious than it looks because they've played 39 games where everyone else has played 36 or 37. So in reality it's basically the Canes, the Devils (freefalling the last month and on the cusp of sliding into the Metro swamp), then the aforementioned swamp, a 4 way battle royale between:

- The ancient Capitals
- The even more ancient and also lately freefalling Penguins,
- The Islanders, who have no business here but are just kind of semi-competently chugging their way toward the playoffs amid the madness around them, and
- The Rangers, who have no business here (in the opposite way!) but whose coach appears to have lost the room so they could go either way.

Probably 5 of the 6 will make the playoffs, though the Sabres could make it interesting at least.

You can continue to put me down as not at all trusting Lindy Ruff. I know how great the Devils are playing as per every known metric. I still think there's a big chance they slide out of the playoffs. It's a fuckin' bloodbath in the Metro. But maybe that's partly some wishcasting because I don't want to admit the weakest of these 5 teams is the Penguins.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Connor Bedard come home please.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

Connor Bedard come home please.

The league is not ready for The Connor Wars.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Eric the Mauve posted:

Looking over the standings to see how crazy Bobman's toxx was. Even if you assume the Penguins and Islanders (or Devils and Caps, whatever) will both collapse so the Atlantic can send 4 teams, the Sabres still need to get ahead of the Red Wings while also not being caught by the Panthers or Senators (yes the Senators are only 3 points behind them, and IMO will be dangerous if/when they fire their incompetent coach).

But the silver lining I just noticed is that the Sabres have weirdly only played 34 games, they have 2-3 games in hand on everyone else except the Red Wings. So that does help a lot. But there are a lot of teams they have to catch. They're 6 points back of the current 3-way tie for 7th-9th place in the conference, and 6 points is actually a ton when you're chasing multiple teams and also have multiple teams right beside you. Put another way even if you assume all 3 games in hand are wins, that still only puts them into a 4-way tie for 7th-10th.

The Metro is a gigantic clusterfuck. The Hurricanes are the clear #1 and then it's a quagmire of shaky teams. The Caps' position (3 points ahead of the PIT/NYI/NYR tie) is more precarious than it looks because they've played 39 games where everyone else has played 36 or 37. So in reality it's basically the Canes, the Devils (freefalling the last month and on the cusp of sliding into the Metro swamp), then the aforementioned swamp, a 4 way battle royale between:

- The ancient Capitals
- The even more ancient and also lately freefalling Penguins,
- The Islanders, who have no business here but are just kind of semi-competently chugging their way toward the playoffs amid the madness around them, and
- The Rangers, who have no business here (in the opposite way!) but whose coach appears to have lost the room so they could go either way.

Probably 5 of the 6 will make the playoffs, though the Sabres could make it interesting at least.

You can continue to put me down as not at all trusting Lindy Ruff. I know how great the Devils are playing as per every known metric. I still think there's a big chance they slide out of the playoffs. It's a fuckin' bloodbath in the Metro. But maybe that's partly some wishcasting because I don't want to admit the weakest of these 5 teams is the Penguins.

It's definitely interesting in the East, and while Buffalo is super fun and I'm happy for their fans, this is probably going to just be a season where they finish with like 90 points but miss, yet are a serious threat to add for next year and challenge for a spot.

I think the Islanders are going to go hard after a Patrick Kane type because it's Lou and he always wants to make it in. A team with their lineup being where they are is inexplicable to me until you realize Sorokin has been the best goalie in the league this year. I still would not be surprised if they skid in the second half and are out by the end.

Washington is tough, they seem to be on fire right now and actually have excellent goaltending, so I can see them making a WC spot. Out of NYI/BUF/WSH they are most likely to be in imo.

The Rangers are way too talented to miss and I think they'll sort their identity out or replace Gallant, and both things will mean lots of wins in the second half.

I know people are still skeptics on NJ, but considering they are out FOUR key players, including two of their excellent top four defensemen, and are going to add at the deadline (all signs point to Fitzgerald adding a scorer like Duclair or Meier), and it's really hard to look at the amount of talent and not consider them to be better than Washington and the Islanders at this point. They're going to make it and I would bet money on it if I were a betting man.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Also in case you were all sleeping on Jesper Bratt

https://twitter.com/CJTDevil/status/1609328524254662656?s=20&t=czUWVFPYGr8E5MluHlNyaw

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Dude the only people sleeping on Jesper Bratt are the Devils management team

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
The Sabres should have beaten the Bruins in regulation at TD Garden yesterday. Zacha is still at the top of the face off circle when Marchand jumps on to change for him. Marchand is collecting the puck for a breakaway at the Sabres blue line and Zacha still hasn’t made it off the ice.

7 Bruins on the ice at the time of the goal. Lmfao

https://twitter.com/evanmarinofsky/status/1609284202108780548?s=46&t=zYIL2fu9u0CbShbhHzi6NA

Edit: was really satisfying to watch our 21 year old center strip Bergeron of the puck in OT leading to the game winner.

https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/1609292895999205378?s=20&t=J776fb8SzHLcUBotRGN66g

th3t00t fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 1, 2023

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
They almost never call that too much mans.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Stiev Awt posted:

I love to rebuild.

i would love to rebuild

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Does this chart not show him making a lot of high danger passes that don't result in shots?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Does this chart not show him making a lot of high danger passes that don't result in shots?
I think it's showing that Bratt isn't shooting himself.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I think it's showing that Bratt isn't shooting himself.

Yeah it's "giving the good passes" vs "shots off receiving the good passes." Bratt is in The Oates Zone.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I think there are going to be some loving lunatic trades near the deadline as all the teams in the Metro swamp breathlessly bid for Kane, Chychrun, and whatever else is available. The Caps, Pens, Islanders, and Rangers are all 100.0000% going to be active buyers. Plus the Oilers are doubtlessly going to continue to be the Oilers. I think at least one of them will wind up trading their unprotected Bedard lottery ticket. This is a great year to be a seller.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Leafs are going to the Finals (where they will lose to Arizona in 5).

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think there are going to be some loving lunatic trades near the deadline as all the teams in the Metro swamp breathlessly bid for Kane, Chychrun, and whatever else is available. The Caps, Pens, Islanders, and Rangers are all 100.0000% going to be active buyers. Plus the Oilers are doubtlessly going to continue to be the Oilers. I think at least one of them will wind up trading their unprotected Bedard lottery ticket. This is a great year to be a seller.

Lol Ken Holland isn't going to make a big trade because he's a coward

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Eric the Mauve posted:

Ruff has said as much that Fitzgerald is going to add at the deadline, and the Devils have a need for a shooting top six winger, so I expect them to make a splash too.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/seanshapiro/status/1609609178833641472

That's a great deal.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
In the 2022 calendar year, McDavid has over 143 points. That would be good for 22nd all-time in a single season. He's currently on pace for 155 points this season.

If it wasn't for COVID, McDavid would be closing on his 7th consecutive 100-point season. That would have put him second all-time.

How is this guy still good? Looked like he was done a few seasons ago.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl-draft/en/round/7-round-draft-picks-players-all-time-points-leaders.html

And he just passed Zetterberg for second all time in points for a 7th round pick.

Only 4 players drafted in the 7th or later (not including undrafted players) with more points than him now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Can't believe Mario Lemieux created covid to keep McDavid from taking his record.

If the events relating to covid reflect the state of the league, I need to rethink whether I want to be a part of it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Twin Cinema posted:

In the 2022 calendar year, McDavid has over 143 points. That would be good for 22nd all-time in a single season. He's currently on pace for 155 points this season.

If it wasn't for COVID, McDavid would be closing on his 7th consecutive 100-point season. That would have put him second all-time.

How is this guy still good? Looked like he was done a few seasons ago.

he is powered by the hopes and dreams of the children cheering for him:unsmith:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

I read this and thought "that can't be right, 100 points in the 80s was like 75 points now" but far as I can tell from looking up likely guys... it's right. Every guy you'd think would have done it (including McDavid!) had at least one perfectly placed injury or strike season preventing it. It's just Gretzky. Who did it 13 consecutive years. Because he was Wayne loving Gretzky.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
The only players who have 7 100 point seasons total are Gretzky, Lemieux, Stastny, Bossy and Dionne.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Orr I think has 6 in a row, and then his career ended.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Crosby probably would have hit 9 in a row if not for injuries. He was pretty much a lock to hit 100 points if healthy prior to the 2014 season.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Crosby probably would have hit 9 in a row if not for injuries. He was pretty much a lock to hit 100 points if healthy prior to the 2014 season.

Yet he has only five 100 point seasons total, and three of them are just barely (100, 103, 104--but the 104 led the league). Kinda the point of the exercise--Gretzky not only dominated, he also had a level of durability and consistency that's unmatched.

I know it seems impossible to believe now but Crosby is going to be greatly underrated by hockey fans of 50 years from now.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I was surprised Malkin has just 1 100 point season

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

He has three, but in a related story, he has only five seasons of 70 games played in his career.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Chad Sexington posted:

They almost never call that too much mans.
When the too much man gets a breakaway and scores a goal? It's the time when they should call it the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost

fawning deference posted:

Ruff has said as much that Fitzgerald is going to add at the deadline, and the Devils have a need for a shooting top six winger, so I expect them to make a splash too.

Fitz has been focused on players with years of team control, Kane is a no-go for multiple reasons (not sure if you meant Kane or just being buyers in general). Gotta think Grier will pull the trigger on a Meier trade at some point, makes no sense to sign another Hertl-like deal.