Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cedarbridge
Feb 21, 2011

I saw the dip and bought too early. On the upside I can tell my dates, who will be wowed and impressed, that I'm an investor in crypto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
nice legacy account seraph

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
The thing that really stuns me about these hodl people is just how masculine and virtuous they see themselves merely for foolishly burning their money. They picture themselves as lone heroes battling the evil monster called Eternal Poverty and once they've completed their legendary quest they'll get all the glory and wealth and women and then those jerks will see! It's super sad.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah the problem with Arkane being a possible troll: Eventually you stop being a troll and just start believing what you are saying.
The law of goatfucking: even if you do it ironically, you're still a goatfucker.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Whenever I read one of these meme stock/bitcoin subreddits to make fun of them, what really gets me is just how boring and tedious of a community it is to be a part of. They've got that flat-earther "us against the world" kind of community, where you've staked your sense of self on some ludicrous theory so you can't return to the normie world, but it's not even interesting. They spend all day looking at charts/TA and reading corporate statements, and they're not even making money on it. It's the worst kind of insular community to be a part of. Join a cult or something, it would make for a better story when you come out the other side at least.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

I suspect is more the usual C-suite thinking it'll be a magic money printer because they watched a presentation/video about NFTs.

I'm not just talking about crypto, Square-Enix has had like 15 years of just absolutely idiotic business decisions, with the income from FF14 basically carrying the company for a while now.

Also one of their executives was just arrested for insider trading, so :shrug:

Ups_rail posted:

I remember the late 1990s. FF7, FF8, and FF9. It was a fun run. I didnt finish 8 or 9. Or maybe It because I was like 13 when FF7 came out.

Nah, from the early 90s until the mid 2000s, Square-Enix made a ton of really great games (including both companies before the merger.) The rot didn't really become apparent until FF12s messed-up development (and I like FF12.)

Ups_rail posted:

also stupid theory, SBF helped the crypto bubble by trying to find the next BTC and ETH, billions thrown at coins and investment.

Yeah, I think this is probably accurate.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Cedarbridge posted:

I saw the dip and bought too early. On the upside I can tell my dates, who will be wowed and impressed, that I'm an investor in crypto.

I wonder how long the average Tender date lasts with a cryptobro.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
STONKZ $TSLA 💸

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

i have a friend who got into gamestop at the right time, didn't get into the memes of it all, and got out before the peak. he made enough to just drop down cash for a new car and a little walking around money and that's it. he didn't buy a tesla and put a stonks plate on it though

froste
Mar 19, 2003

Lammasu posted:

I wonder how long the average Tender date lasts with a cryptobro.

I'd suspect barely into the first sales pitch

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Extra Large Marge posted:

STONKZ $TSLA 💸

next pic is of it on fire driving at tops speed cause autopilot won't shut off till it tastes blood.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I was just reading an article about Celsius and seeing these people that put their life savings into Crypto just makes me wonder. I feel sorry for them but at the same time they are so drat stupid.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Lammasu posted:

I was just reading an article about Celsius and seeing these people that put their life savings into Crypto just makes me wonder. I feel sorry for them but at the same time they are so drat stupid.

They did their own research. They looked at twitter posts by Celsius, they read the Celsius reddit, they skillfully avoided any other opinions on it or any historical incidents involving crypto. They did everything right

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Chainclaw posted:

Then some drama happened, and later was some legal action, and eventually somehow the NFT person died

Well that escalated quickly.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

coolusername posted:

Adjacent to Bitcoin but the same narrative patterns of “hodl” and warriors against the establishment/feds and we’re early etc. are found in the bed bath and beyond sub - a bunch of people super-invested in the secret potential of BBBY stocks to shoot up to unfathomable wealth if you get in early enough due to its secret values - and they are going batshit over the news the company is contemplating bankruptcy in a very familiar way.

There’s rainbow charts, FUD, hodl, not financial advice, buy the dip, copium and hopium, etc.

How many of these communities of “investors” are out there pouring life savings into memecoins and memestocks, all sharing the same lingo? There’s even highly downvoted comments saying this is just what happened before Celsius collapsed.
I'm currently addicted to the subreddit for this. To be honest it is much the same as on other ones for failed enterprises - e.g. Celsius, Voyager, LUNA, etc. People clinging on to anything, and each other, to avoid the inescapable reality that they've lost all of their money.

It's both sad and fascinating in equal measure.

EDIT: A bonus lol - they are eternally obsessed with short interest being high. Since GME did that thing every fucken stock (stonk) that has any short interest at all is primed for a "gamma squeeze", never mind that shorting is a healthy market dynamic. Also no poo poo it's being shorted to poo poo - it's going straight to 0 and when that happens anyone who borrowed shares doesn't have to pay anything.

Durzel fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 6, 2023

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Speaking of Celsius...

quote:

A bankruptcy judge has dashed the dreams of investors hoping to retrieve their crypto funds from Celsius. It turns out, assets placed in the now-defunct crypto exchange’s high interest “Earn Accounts” belong to Celsius, not the account holders, according to a Wednesday ruling from Judge Martin Glenn.

The decision came down to an “unambiguous provision” in one section of Celsius’ terms of use, wrote the judge. “All right and title to such Eligible Digital Assets, including ownership rights,” is held by Celsius, said version 8 of the company’s terms, which 99.86% of Earn Account holders agreed to, noted Glenn. Celsius’ incredibly shady terms of service also stated to signatories that “you may not have any legal remedies or rights,” to get your money back—which the company has previously argued protects them from legal complaints.

In practice, Judge Glenn’s ruling effectively confirms that stance, and means the company has no immediate obligation to repay about 600,000 investors amid the exchange’s ongoing bankruptcy proceedings. The more than $4.2 billion that was frozen in Celsius accounts last June doesn’t belong to the people who put it there, it’s the property of the company that squandered it.

:lol:

https://gizmodo.com/crypto-celsius-earn-accounts-alex-mashinsky-1849957843

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Durzel posted:

Also no poo poo it's being shorted to poo poo - it's going straight to 0 and when that happens anyone who borrowed shares doesn't have to pay anything.

Pfft based on what? Some paper the board of directors filed with the SEC disclosing that they're days away from bankruptcy?

Anyone can write anything on a piece of paper, I could file a paper saying my butt is the king of england! You can't just believe everything a company's representative writes about how their business is failing and they have no money, maybe somebody just lost all the revenue in the couch cushions, those profits could turn up at any moment.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Be your own bank.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

ultrafilter posted:

Be your own bank.

Trust no one, do your own research.

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001
https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1611235593115111425

How can I possibly pay my legal bills without use of the money I stole??

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You have to let me rob this jewelry store to pay for my legal defense, what's one guy's mere economic loss compared to another's decades in prison for a crime he definitely committed

E: disappointed it's not an effective altruism argument. Sam Bankman-Fried is destined to save humanity so according to utilitarian theory the state has a moral obligation to not punish him for crimes and also to give FTX a yuuuge bailout so he can get back to getting rich enough to save the world

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 6, 2023

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Victory Lap posted:

Watch him get upstaged by some crypto idiot who borrowed from a loan shark to invest, so they need the money even more or Vinny "Carwash" Bambino will break their legs.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Victory Lap posted:

honestly don't know who to root for

all those people who condescendingly thought they would be rich and put all their money into ftx..
or the guy who scammed them all wanting to keep his scammed money

can they all somehow just continue to lose money without any harm coming to their families? (except sbf's whose family was also involved)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Scratch Monkey posted:

The thing that really stuns me about these hodl people is just how masculine and virtuous they see themselves merely for foolishly burning their money. They picture themselves as lone heroes battling the evil monster called Eternal Poverty and once they've completed their legendary quest they'll get all the glory and wealth and women and then those jerks will see! It's super sad.

It's magical thinking. If we all buy a meme stock and never sell the price will only go up up up and each of us will have a portfolio with a market cap of billions and we'll all buy women and lambos.

No thought to what happens next: to get the money out of the stock so they can buy the lambos they all have to sell, and if they were the ones doing all the buying, who is there to sell to. Who is going to come along with an 11-figure bank account wanting to make a bunch of reddit nerds into billionaires in exchange for a failing big box store chain, with full knowledge that the stock price has been manipulated to an unreasonable high.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lol he has rich parents who are loving Stanford law professors, the idea he can't pay for a legal defense without those shares is absurd.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Victory Lap posted:

Effective altruism lol

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Victory Lap posted:

I had a friend try to sell me on Robinhood. My first instinct was that it was a scam. I wasn't exactly right but I'm glad I stayed out.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Boxturret posted:

Trust no one, do your own research.

I did some research and apparently there are all sort of like, rules if you want to be your own bank.

How about I give my money to the guy promising 20% cash returns every month instead, sounds easier

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

VitalSigns posted:

It's magical thinking. If we all buy a meme stock and never sell the price will only go up up up and each of us will have a portfolio with a market cap of billions and we'll all buy women and lambos.

No thought to what happens next: to get the money out of the stock so they can buy the lambos they all have to sell, and if they were the ones doing all the buying, who is there to sell to. Who is going to come along with an 11-figure bank account wanting to make a bunch of reddit nerds into billionaires in exchange for a failing big box store chain, with full knowledge that the stock price has been manipulated to an unreasonable high.

Also that the stock price (in a pump situation like this) is not connected to the success of the company as a going concern. They could pump the stock to a billion dollars but if BBBY can't make a profit they're going to be bankrupt.

And stockholders are always the ones to get wiped out in bankruptcy.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 6, 2023

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

celebs and our better gods get gifted free things all the time*********** . also the diamondmooners will just get the lambo and female just because they have a computer screen number.

*celeb/whoever have decent liquid and credit, and a social network.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Scratch Monkey posted:

the whole uhh, wallstreetbets/superstonk crowd is 100% a 4chan meme group, if that makes it make more sense, or at least they started as one until a bunch of dumb redditors joined in.

They're the same kind of people who started the_donald

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Victory Lap posted:

I'm always slightly envious of people like this. I couldn't manage that level of idiot self-confidence if you replaced my blood with uncut cocaine. I'm genuinally a little impressed at such incredible levels of brazenness.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

LifeSunDeath posted:

next pic is of it on fire driving at tops speed cause autopilot won't shut off till it tastes blood.

FEED ME A STRAY MANCHILD

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah the problem with Arkane being a possible troll: Eventually you stop being a troll and just start believing what you are saying.

Yeah it's only in the last decade or so that the true genius of already legendary novelist Kurt Vonnegut has been recognizable in full, homes wrote a whole-rear end book about terminal irony poisoning in 1962

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_Night

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

shame on an IGA posted:

Yeah it's only in the last decade or so that the true genius of already legendary novelist Kurt Vonnegut has been recognizable in full, homes wrote a whole-rear end book about terminal irony poisoning in 1962

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_Night

Yeah, looking back on the way internet humor and communities worked in the 2000s is pretty much just having this book beating you over the head over and over.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

RocketMermaid posted:

Yeah, looking back on the way internet humor and communities worked in the 2000s is pretty much just having this book beating you over the head over and over.

I feel attacked

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

'short sellers who are legally obligated to buy the stock to cover their positions, duh'

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
cover this short position baby (elbow drop into coffee table, glass shatters deafeningly, devastating wounds, gore is unimaginable)

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/matthewstoller/status/1611563514224582657?t=TI2MDyzaIt7ru4NEjCy30Q&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
So I have a two-parter back from my days of poop-touching. Memoirs of a poo: rugging boogaloo. Part one: the Poopenstances. The second part happened yesterday, which is while I'm posting the first as it's fresh in my brain. This should be some good entertainment for people who hate crypto.

Back when I was involved in crypto projects for whatever dumb reasons :eyepoop: , I was trying to help a project figure out how to not accidentally screw themselves/their potential investors using basic math(read: improbable without making things unfun/not offering YOLO APY % for interest rates on tokens , but that's not my problem). Yes, these people do not even do basic math or research.

When I modeled out even the most basic of economic concepts, everything showed that they were high on their own supply and that their users who they wanted to entice, would drag down the token. Mind you, you can't just give people 10x their initial investment in the course of a month and not expect people to dump the ever-loving hell out of the same token. I am also not a crypto programmer nor do I desire to be, although I'm moving along in studying rust for my own sake. The reason I mention this is in the course of starting the project out, we were headhunting for tech talent and other needed roles. Community manager is a common one for crypto projects as well, which consists of "be horribly underpaid and basically try to herd cats in a lovely community". This will be relevant in a moment.

In this process, there was a person who came along, who was a webdev. basically a :trumpsmug: equivalent. This person said he can set up the website, code the smart contracts (Crypto functional code) for the project tokens and their mechanics, etc. Notably he was a PHP programmer. All the basic crypto shiny tech needed to kickstart the project. This guy was very brazen in his speech, talked a big talk, tried to basically snow everyone and get them involved on his own little side projects. Quasi-cryptobro speech out of a dude with an Indian accent which was apparent on the voice calls, I think he said he was from hyderabad or something I don't remember. He begged me to join his discord...which had 4 people in it. Said so I can help grow his Veryimportant budding community. He needed "my" help to gain legitimacy, and I left his discord about 30 seconds later. Again, I reiterate - he had a very combative personality and was not really a good team player - similar to the Seraph model of "I'm better than you and smug and PS, gently caress you" model of blatant narcissism (:trumpsmug:). All the way down to the begging for help when it suits him and alternatively pushing his ego when it suits him. Grifting all the way down. On said project was a "friend" I made along the way from another crypto project called Jade Token (that one effectively died off). Guy had a decent tech background, was a decent person, good debates, etc. So when this new project rolled around, I was invited and brought this "friend" with. said friend will be relevant later, we can call him Jade Friend Crypto (JFC), as a community manager.

This webdev's background (and focus thereof) was in other tokens that he had built up, he showed us some examples of other smart contracts he had done. To the best of my knowledge these were things I couldn't quantify. How do I know how a smart contract works? I don't. I can read some of the code because I know a some aspects of code, but not enough to know BS from reality here. I'm not about to dedicate development cycles to learning solidity. So they tried to engage this webdev to build out their website and frontend, etc. Basically: deploy a test site in netlify and so on. Meanwhile, the dude had a total shitfit about work scope. Arguing every detail until it is specific to people who are not technical enough to answer his questions, anyway. I talked to him on the side as he did have an a tech background. He was, however, basically copying website code from one site to another, blatant copyright infringement on top, and so on. Turns out, he starts begging (as mentioned) - begging for money, oh so desperate, tough times, no money, divorce, kids etc. Sob story that nobody can confirm anyway. There were very, very odd and suspicious dodges of confirming any facts around his personal situation.

In the end, we kicked him off the project because nobody could work with him, and that was before we paid him anything. In his mind though, we "stole" from him. This was discussed with me and JFC among others, JFC being a super quirky cybersec guy who pointed out the insane levels of risk bringing on someone we don't even know if we can trust who asked for unfettered access to everything he does. So in the meantime, the webdev dude starts his own project after we kick him off the project. Crypto is a small community where everyone talks to everyone/word spreads quickly, so we had updates on his other project. He proceeds to rug(steal) (:frogsiren:) from the people he got involved in the new project webdev created. I think he made off with 30-100k in cash. Proceeds to say it was a mistake, he was "hacked" and it'll never happen again. Then, he creates another project, rugs it, and then disappears. End discord username, literally deleted and all, and ghosts away. :ghost:

In case it doesn't need to be said, yes this was (and is) a shitcoin. :itwaspoo: The disappeared man returned under a new username but "knew nothing about" (old projects and profile), which is the part 2 I will address later.