Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
No deal can be made with democrats because the moment it's made public, half the republicans would defect on principle. No point in even debating it. Never going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

skylined! posted:

No deal can be made with democrats because the moment it's made public, half the republicans would defect on principle. No point in even debating it. Never going to happen.

The closest you'd get to something like that is for about a dozen McCarthy votes to be no-shows. Then Jeffries would win the majority without a single R voting for him. A bit of plausible deniability for the no-shows, but I can't see that happen unless this continues for a couple of weeks.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

We'll be here for some time again

https://twitter.com/nicholaswu12/status/1611402522584907776

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Having your rep help you can be a big thing. Like another poster mentioned, in TYOOL 2023 favors aren't really being pulled. It won't change the answer. But the expediency will be rapid. Nancy Mace expedited my personal stuff for me and my wife and helped us a great deal. And was nice about it.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
the only deal dems should agree to would be making someone like fred upton speaker with a handful of gop votes + dems in exchange for a deal that is equal to or better than a clean debt ceiling raise and equal committee representation. there's literally no reason at all to deal with mccarthy or scalise, if they can't get votes that is their problem. this is incredibly unlikely to happen, but that's fine. there's no advantage to bailing out people who can't whip their own caucus and aren't willing to abandon them regardless.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
A deal would have to get worked out by moderates outside of leadership. A moderate speaker, power sharing agreement and some guardrails to keep the extremist elements on "both sides" really just in the GOP in check I think would be enough for me and I'd take the deal. You can sweep in as the adults in the room and be able to run in 2 years on it especially if they can get some real things accomplished.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

PostNouveau posted:

It'd be funny if they aren't able to adjourn long enough for people to leave because they haven't been able to adopt rules so if a bunch of GOP left the Dems could just call a session on their own and elect Jeffries.

I don't know how the process actually works though.

Nuclear option would be that they could then unseat all Republicans who aided and abetted the Jan 6 insurrection, and wouldn't you know it, it's a Democratic Congress.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

How long can they feasibly adjourn for? Is there a hard limit, or could they technically adjourn until, say, "January 2026"?

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Let's light this candle!

12th vote about to start, Kevin already nominated. It remains to be seen who is the new sacrificial lamb.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Randalor posted:

How long can they feasibly adjourn for? Is there a hard limit, or could they technically adjourn until, say, "January 2026"?

They could adjourn sine die (without setting a date to reconvene), at which point they would reassemble only if called by the Speaker (who currently doesn't exist), or by the President, or failing all else when a new Congress meets two years from now.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Angry_Ed posted:

Not that I can speak about the other three but Elise Stefanik is one of the traitors who tried to overturn the election and should not be trusted. And any deal McCarthy or Scalise would offer is also useless. That's kind of the issue I can't think of a single Republican in congress right now who can be trusted and isn't a complete whackjob at best and an outright traitor at worst.
I have no idea what your posts have to do with my post that Jefferies isn't going to offer a deal until a Republican offers it first.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

"...and as such, I would like to formally nominate Deng Xiaoping to the position of Speaker"

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Just nominate the guy ffs

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Youth Decay posted:

Just nominate the guy ffs

Nope. Need to bloviate about how terrible the Democrats are for... ten to fifteen minutes first. Ooop! There we go. Done.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003

Clyburn this time, I guess to lend some more gravitas to Jeffries?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Everyone should bring white boards like Katie Porter so we can play charades while we wait

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

tecnocrat posted:

Clyburn this time, I guess to lend some more gravitas to Jeffries?

Clyburn is good at speechifying

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Quorum posted:

They could adjourn sine die (without setting a date to reconvene), at which point they would reassemble only if called by the Speaker (who currently doesn't exist), or by the President, or failing all else when a new Congress meets two years from now.

"Well, we tried..."

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So at what point is Gaetz/MTG/Boebert going to try to make a "big brain play" and "show that the Democrats are just as disorganized as us" and nominate the arch-extremist, AOC?

Old Surly
Dec 8, 2004

and all of your troubles are solved and gone
Can't wait for the Chaos Party nom speech.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003

And here comes Gaetz.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

somebody should tell gaetz that his face is like, upside down

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Youth Decay posted:

Clyburn is good at speechifying

I will give the Democrats this; They have resolutely avoided sounding at all whiny during this, and Clyburn continued that nicely.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Gaetz after Clyburn is a hell of a contrast

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Randalor posted:

So at what point is Gaetz/MTG/Boebert going to try to make a "big brain play" and "show that the Democrats are just as disorganized as us" and nominate the arch-extremist, AOC?

MTG is already on team McCarthy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

coelomate posted:

somebody should tell gaetz that his face is like, upside down

His face looks like something you'd see if you had a special power to see the true face of demons posing as humans on earth, only it's his real, actual, normal face.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Ah, I forgot about the Constitution's escape clause:

Article II, Section 5 posted:

Neither House, during the Session of Congress, shall, without the Consent of the other, adjourn for more than three days, nor to any other Place than that in which the two Houses shall be sitting.

So, unless the Senate agrees they can go home, the House can only adjourn for up to three days at a time, though they could just meet once every three days to announce they don't have a quorum and leave again.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

And it's Gym again.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003

Put all this poo poo out in the open. I loving love it.

Jordan again? Fantastic.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Quorum posted:

Ah, I forgot about the Constitution's escape clause:

So, unless the Senate agrees they can go home, the House can only adjourn for up to three days at a time, though they could just meet once every three days to announce they don't have a quorum and leave again.

Somebody should nominate this plan for speaker, it'd probably get 70%

Old Surly
Dec 8, 2004

and all of your troubles are solved and gone
Gym Jordan, what a poo poo show that would be.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
I thought he was going to nominate Trump again

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
lol the normal* Republicans are all walking out on Gaetz's speech

Chuck Bartowski
Apr 14, 2006

Working on my five-year plan, just need to choose a font.

lmao staging a walkout

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003

People just straight up walking out? Fantastic. Bar the doors and vote Jeffries in.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

20-30 walkouts due to Gaetz Gaetzing?

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003

YES! Another poo poo show!

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

No applause!! This is amazing.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

The DEAFENING silence. I feel awkward just watching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Gaetz definitely seems to be enjoying this circus as much as the rest of us are. Not sure how many of you noticed this, but yesterday when he voted for Trump (not during one of the votes where Trump was actually nominated), he leaned into MTG right before his name came up and very clearly said, "Watch this," before shouting out "DONALD JOHN TRUMP!"

This might actually be some serious business for many in the HFC, but Matt definitely seems to be just trolling at this point.