Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

This won't actually hurt anything right?
https://twitter.com/sarahdwire/status/1610303464550305792

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Well they voted three ballots and still couldn't elect a Speaker, then they gave up until tomorrow. They have to figure that out, first.

Republicans truly have lost the ability to govern.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Well they voted three ballots and still couldn't elect a Speaker, then they gave up until tomorrow. They have to figure that out, first.

I spent most of the afternoon laughing very loudly whenever I remembered the current technical front runner is Hakeem Jeffries of Brooklyn, NY.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Dennis Hastert is just sitting next to his phone, waiting for the call to come back for his old job.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Dennis Hastert is just sitting next to his phone, waiting for the call to come back for his old job.

I guarantee you they have the reserves of cognitive dissonance to do that.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Dr. Faustus posted:

Eh, not really anything "lost" for some of these poo poo heads. The hardcore MAGA assholes and Freedom Caucus whack jobs are perfectly OK with exactly this level of governance. They'll campaign on it to out-conservative any challengers in the only thing they fear, a primary.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

Eh, not really anything "lost" for some of these poo poo heads. The hardcore MAGA assholes and Freedom Caucus whack jobs are perfectly OK with exactly this level of governance. They'll campaign on it to out-conservative any challengers in the only thing they fear, a primary.

Exactly.

Which is loving awful for them as an organized body. Republican lock-step has been their greatest advantage since St Reagan brought it down the mountain, and this makes them look like a bunch of squabbling children who can’t even agree on silly formalities let alone actually do anything. In as much as stonewalling ever was good for them (doubtful) it was about looking like stalwart defenders of apple pie-personal responsibility.

Republicans have been about appearances and bluster for a dozen years (minimum, to avoid quibbling) and this publicly outs them as incompetent blowhards when they really, really want to seem like plucky rebels.

In conclusion : lol, indeed, lmao.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

We truly ended up in the dumbest timeline.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

Exactly.

Which is loving awful for them as an organized body. Republican lock-step has been their greatest advantage since St Reagan brought it down the mountain, and this makes them look like a bunch of squabbling children who can’t even agree on silly formalities let alone actually do anything. In as much as stonewalling ever was good for them (doubtful) it was about looking like stalwart defenders of apple pie-personal responsibility.

Republicans have been about appearances and bluster for a dozen years (minimum, to avoid quibbling) and this publicly outs them as incompetent blowhards when they really, really want to seem like plucky rebels.

It wasn't Reagan it was Newt.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

And DeLay (the wall-eyed exterminator), and Hastert (needs no introduction). And it started with the Contract for America. That great sucking sound that followed was the great Brain Drain of 1994, when the process of purging any Republican with a spine commenced.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Oracle posted:

It wasn't Reagan it was Newt.

No I meant Ronald Reagan's 11th Commandment speech.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

No I meant Ronald Reagan's 11th Commandment speech.

Meh, he only meant it to apply to him. Newt weaponized it and deployed it widely among the party as a whole.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Oracle posted:

Meh, he only meant it to apply to him. Newt weaponized it and deployed it widely among the party as a whole.

O…kay?

But I wanted to start from the very beginning of it instead of when it came into its power because that was the point of that sentence. Which I wrote to mean that and not the other thing.

Do you often try to misinform people of their own intentions or is this just a thing you’re trying out.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

Exactly.

Republican lock-step hasn't really been a thing for a while. Don't forget that eight years ago, the GOP House was so unmanageable that Boehner stepped down because he was sick of dealing with it - and his chosen successor, some guy named Kevin McCarthy, had his candidacy derailed by petty factional infighting.

The GOP have been able to line up pretty consistently behind "owning the libs" since Obama, but they've actually been quite chaotic when they were the ones in power.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

Republican lock-step hasn't really been a thing for a while. Don't forget that eight years ago, the GOP House was so unmanageable that Boehner stepped down because he was sick of dealing with it - and his chosen successor, some guy named Kevin McCarthy, had his candidacy derailed by petty factional infighting.

The GOP have been able to line up pretty consistently behind "owning the libs" since Obama, but they've actually been quite chaotic when they were the ones in power.

O word. I didn’t mean to imply that this was a new development. I was just happy with the continued in-fighting.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
the current scope of it definitely is absolutely new even if you can trace the roots of it back 5-10 years

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Happy 2nd anniversary everyone :unsmith:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Tayter Swift posted:

Happy 2nd anniversary everyone :unsmith:

It's fitting that the party which didn't want a government now cannot form one.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

2 years ago today I was sitting in my car waiting for my dogs to finish being spayed/neutered, flipping the gently caress out while listening to the radio and freaking out over texts with friends. It was such a surreal day, and it's been insane to watch CHUD coworkers go from complete silence, to lies about antifa being the real culprits, to dismissal of how big of a deal it was, etc. I am glad that at least some of the assholes involved got some consequences, but I am still waiting to see anyone with any authority in the situation face anything meaningful.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I was jamming out with C-SPAN playing in the background and recorded this:
https://m.soundcloud.com/snowcloud/c-span-jam

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Ynglaur posted:

It's fitting that the party which didn't want a government now cannot form one.

Working as intended.

Literally. That's precisely what their voters elected them to "do".

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Fuschia tude posted:

Working as intended.

Literally. That's precisely what their voters elected them to "do".

Eh, I'd say their voters elected them to own the libs and attack their preferred target minorities. The billionaires and megacorporations that fund them though, yeah, useless paralysis is exactly what they want.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
e: wrong thread

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 6, 2023

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Eh, I'd say their voters elected them to own the libs and attack their preferred target minorities. The billionaires and megacorporations that fund them though, yeah, useless paralysis is exactly what they want.

Biden cannot pass a single piece of legislation if the house cannot operate. They are owning the libs, stopping tax increases, and preventing expansion of codified rights for minorities. Once the speaker is in place these twenty shitheads lose all their power to stop bipartisan efforts.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Lager posted:

2 years ago today I was sitting in my car waiting for my dogs to finish being spayed/neutered, flipping the gently caress out while listening to the radio and freaking out over texts with friends. It was such a surreal day, and it's been insane to watch CHUD coworkers go from complete silence, to lies about antifa being the real culprits, to dismissal of how big of a deal it was, etc. I am glad that at least some of the assholes involved got some consequences, but I am still waiting to see anyone with any authority in the situation face anything meaningful.

2 years ago today I caught wind of the insurrection almost immediately. I had just started a new job and my boss pinged me with a question - I told him to turn on CNN. About 5 minutes later, someone messaged the all-hands chat on Teams and the whole company kinda ground to a halt for the day.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Lager posted:

I was unemployed at the time and watched it unfold in real time via livestreams.

That's why I get so pissed off at people saying it was fake, Antifa or selectively edited and largely people. I watched that poo poo with my own eyes, devoid of any media filter, that was streamed by people who totally thought they were reenacting 1776 and taking back the country. gently caress all of those assholes. If they were the million man march or BLM they'd still be bleaching blood off the building's steps and RWM would be heralding it as the second revolutionary war.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
i felt like i was losing my mind on that day because in the weeks leading up to it it was absolutely clear that the chuds were going to try something like that
and then they did it! and everyone was shocked!
blew my loving mind

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
My mom had just gotten home from cataract surgery that morning and kept waking up every few minutes saying "what the gently caress is going on down there?!" and zoning out again.

I was still working from home so it was liveposting on discord and Teams all day, no work at all.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Lager posted:

watching conservativs sputter through a half dozen different half-rear end messaging attempts in short order was particularly surreal

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

My :airquote:favorite was the mealy-mouthed "I deplore violence but maybe Washington will finally hear the message they are protesting for don't ask me any follow-up questions about what that is"

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I was in the USPOL thread posting through the whole thing.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
My wife was sleeping in that day, and I remember the first thing I said to her was something to the tune of "good morning, fascists are attempting to storm the capitol building."

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

No. Megacorporations want a legislature and a functioning state that will do things like deregulate the things they want deregulated and keep the regulations that they do want kept- and yes, megacorporations do like some regulations. While some business leaders are right wing enough to be celebrating this, the vast majority are, at best, uneasy about the situation, hopeful it ends soon, and frustrated that so little will happen in the 118th.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Megacorps do not want highly unstable markets due to congress not passing a basic budget.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Captain_Maclaine posted:

My wife was sleeping in that day, and I remember the first thing I said to her was something to the tune of "good morning, fascists are attempting to storm the capitol building."

I had classes starting about noon that day and I told them to get out their laptops and work on something useful

while i was :f5: at a rate unknown to mankind

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

mdemone posted:

I had classes starting about noon that day and I told them to get out their laptops and work on something useful

while i was :f5: at a rate unknown to mankind

I have no idea how I could have gotten through that day if I'd had to teach while all of that was going down.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

watching conservativs sputter through a half dozen different half-rear end messaging attempts in short order was particularly surreal

It was great watching this because hey chucklefucks, isn't this what you were rooting for?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I have no idea how I could have gotten through that day if I'd had to teach while all of that was going down.

I was telling a co worker "How the gently caress are we supposed to just keep working through the day like this is loving normal?" and then we just did

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

the rules may not even pass because the "moderate" GOP are loving pissed that this whole circus went on so long and hate the freedom cacuse. my guess is the rules fight goes on for a week or so.

https://twitter.com/bresreports/status/1611654535512002561?s=20&t=w1YpDtNTGxucElJLns_C4Q

anyway, they are gonna try to do their own lovely comittees about trump and january 6th but the narrative is already lost at this point and i doubt the GOP has the brains to know how to spin it to get folks like my parents to believe it.

PainterofCrap posted:

And DeLay (the wall-eyed exterminator), and Hastert (needs no introduction). And it started with the Contract for America. That great sucking sound that followed was the great Brain Drain of 1994, when the process of purging any Republican with a spine commenced.

exactly, all the smart folks, true belivers or oppertunists are mostly gone outside a few very safe seated token ones. their propoganda wing did too good a job it seems.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I'm still kind of waiting to really see it consistently in action before I believe it fully, but most conservatives I encounter are over the obstructive 'burn it all down' poo poo and seem to have taken 'the dems overperformed because they did things that people wanted' as the clear message of the 2022 election. I saw people physically groaning at the house's first announcement that they want to investigate hunter's laptop. Obviously the die-hard trumpists are going to do whatever stupid poo poo that they're going to do, but there's genuinely a significant amount of the republican party at this point who are aware of how ill-advised republican strategy has been for the last 6 years (or in some POVs, as much as 15 years). Basically from that perspective: when Americans want a government that actually does stuff and isn't an embarrassing disaster, it's really bad to be the party known for obstructionism above all else. Doubly so if you're going to then go after women and minorities and queer people.

idk where it ends, but it's interesting to see conservatives actually pushing for some kind of direction that isn't just More Trump. Republicans who had voluntarily side-lined themselves during the Trump era also seem to be poking their heads out again, too.

oh yeah, as i have said before on here, my dads a conservstive leaning moderate and he loving hates all this poo poo and i talked to him yesterday over the phone about how loving stupid and nuts it is, hell, he is even starting to notice that my uncle is a full Q nutjob rear end in a top hat. he voted blue in the last 2 elections and probably future ones. the gop moderates do exist and probably do outnumber the chuds in sheer volume, but they arnt weird loud grognards and dont get involved, so yeah. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
On 1/6 I was in somewhere, Texas at an airport watching it on TV waiting for my next set of passengers. People were openly talking about how they hoped they "got to" Nancy Pelosi.