Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Looking for a printer that:
a. Works managed Chromebooks without requiring an app (e.g. PPD ok, installing Mopria not OK)
b. Wireless (no wired ports available) or USB
c. Doesn't need to be color or duplex
d. Cheap as possible TCO b/c this is for a teacher, so needs to handle 3rd party toner/ink without fuss.
e. Needs a decent ppm because the typical print job is 50+ pages.
f. Be nice if it worked as a copier as well
g. Be nice if there was an easy-to-use scanning function, but I might as well wish for world peace while I'm at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

thepopmonster posted:

Looking for a printer that:
a. Works managed Chromebooks without requiring an app (e.g. PPD ok, installing Mopria not OK)
b. Wireless (no wired ports available) or USB
c. Doesn't need to be color or duplex
d. Cheap as possible TCO b/c this is for a teacher, so needs to handle 3rd party toner/ink without fuss.
e. Needs a decent ppm because the typical print job is 50+ pages.
f. Be nice if it worked as a copier as well
g. Be nice if there was an easy-to-use scanning function, but I might as well wish for world peace while I'm at it.

Brother All-in-One

https://www.brother-usa.com/products/mfcl2710dw

I have one, it works fantastic, can't speak for item "d," since I've only used the Brother toner. I've also not tracked the PPMs, so that's up in the air.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Are laser printers the ones that you can leave dormant for 6-12 months and they actually print when you come back to them? It's a pain in the rear end going to the library every time I need to print something, but it's so rare that a $100+ investment doesn't make sense unless it's actually going to work when I need it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have this one, I don't think that price is correct, probably just because it's an old model and resellers as resellers do, but it's perfect for simple printing and has never malfunctioned. Wireless printing from my phone anywhere in the house, too, which I've actually used a couple times. I print ebay labels with it and it works like a dream, has printed probably around 6-7,000 pages in the last few years if I had to guess. Toner lasts a long time and there's plenty of cheap replacement options outside of official channels, I think I paid 15 bucks for a two-pack replacement pack and I'm still using the second one from that.

If you don't need color printing, a Brother is definitely the way to go, I'm sure someone can recommend a current model at a good price similar to the one I got.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Lester Shy posted:

Are laser printers the ones that you can leave dormant for 6-12 months and they actually print when you come back to them? It's a pain in the rear end going to the library every time I need to print something, but it's so rare that a $100+ investment doesn't make sense unless it's actually going to work when I need it.

Yes, last time I installed a toner on my Brother all-in-one laser was three years ago, and it still prints fine the four or five times we turn it on each month.

Edit: I bought it for my wife, a teacher. It’s paid for itself many many times over.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I bought a Brother All-in-one laser in 2009 and used it infrequently for over a decade, only replacing the factory cartridge. I only got rid of it because my girlfriend moved in with her much newer model of the same printer. They "just work" and do so seemingly forever.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I grabbed a B/W wireless brother laser printer from our office's ewaste about 5 years ago to print 1 thing every 3 months

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I bought a popular Brother laser printer for my aging dad in the hopes it would be reliable. It’s been a massive pain in the rear end, always going into deep sleep mode and refusing to print without a bunch of steps to wake it up. Maybe I just need to tweak some settings or something but it wasn’t the simple solution I hoped it would be.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Iron Crowned posted:

Brother All-in-One

https://www.brother-usa.com/products/mfcl2710dw

I have one, it works fantastic, can't speak for item "d," since I've only used the Brother toner. I've also not tracked the PPMs, so that's up in the air.

Seconding this one. I do see it used a lot in my clients offices, great for 2-3 person operations where the printing is about a ream (500 pgs) a week.

The one Capt Invictus linked is just the older version of the 2710, similar toner/drum yields, but the newer one is a bit faster to start print jobs..

The "d" (lol) just means it duplexes, or prints on both sides without you having to reload the paper in the tray.

The scan function is good enough for licenses to be clear for legal paperwork, if that's a concern.

Also, if you do end up with a Brother laser printer, be sure to look up how to reset the toner or drum on Youtube, they work on a counter and your toner/drum might still be printing fine and it'll stop the annoying messages.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I have a decade-old brother all in one- duplex printer/scanner and it’s still going strong. Highly recommend

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

yo, whats a good big suitcase that doesnt break after 2 trips? bigger is better but as long as it can hold up to 23kg it should be good. i am tired of suitcases where either the wheels or the handles break constantly. up to like 200 euros/dollars is fine

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Sportman posted:

This is the right answer. I love my Smart Oven.

What was the oven? It seems to have been erased from the post and my main oven is dying...

Do you know the breville model?

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Shibawanko posted:

yo, whats a good big suitcase that doesnt break after 2 trips? bigger is better but as long as it can hold up to 23kg it should be good. i am tired of suitcases where either the wheels or the handles break constantly. up to like 200 euros/dollars is fine

I travel a lot and have beat the ever living poo poo out of my Away suitcase. It still works as well as the day I got it. There may be ones just as good for less but in my experience that thing is bombproof.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

Shibawanko posted:

It's above your $200 ask but I'd second the Away suggestion or Monos. I've got Away's Bigger Carry-On that has held up extremely well. I've also got Monos' Check-In Large (which would be more in the size you're looking for if you're trying to max out airline weight capacity of 23 kg?) that's easily survived overseas travel.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Wendigee posted:

What was the oven? It seems to have been erased from the post and my main oven is dying...

Do you know the breville model?

Breville Smart Oven Air Fryer Pro, Brushed Stainless Steel, BOV900BSS https://a.co/d/e63Tu5a

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Sportman posted:

Breville Smart Oven Air Fryer Pro, Brushed Stainless Steel, BOV900BSS https://a.co/d/e63Tu5a

My BiL has this model or one pretty similar and it’s pretty sweet. I’ve been thinking about getting one.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I had one of those Breville's for a while but it died within two years. The thermal fuses failed.
Disappointing since it wasn't cheap and I really liked it when it was working.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Sportman posted:

How easily does it clean? I've got a Ninja ifoodie or whatever it's called and while I love the results of cooking in it the thing is an absolute nightmare to clean because of how cramped it is around the non-removable heating elements

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It helps to line the bottom tray (removable iirc) with aluminum foil

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
between soda makers which is better, soda stream or drinkmate? id consider any in the 100-150 price range, these two just seem the most popular

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

between soda makers which is better, soda stream or drinkmate? id consider any in the 100-150 price range, these two just seem the most popular

Do you personally care about BDS? Sodastream is an Isreal-based company in case you do.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Also Sparkel is pretty nice, I quite enjoy only needing dry household ingredients instead of a co2 cart

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

impossiboobs posted:

Do you personally care about BDS? Sodastream is an Isreal-based company in case you do.

Israeli-based company operating on occupied Palestinian territory, no less, iirc

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Buy a used Sodastream and a mod: https://www.sodamod.com that lets you refill your tanks at gas places for 1/4 the price and without supporting the company.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced screen for an ultra-short throw projector? These things are outrageously expensive for what they are.

I see that it's a lot of small shops and even individuals masquerading as large companies selling these screens. That usually means that the price is mainly arbitrage as opposed to actual product value. Maybe not in this case, but that's the read I get.

vxk5004
Oct 23, 2008
Any recommendations for a quality futon? Looking to get our spare room/office kitted out without spending a fortune.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

drinkmate lets you fizz stuff other than water and uses the same adapter as sodastream. i'll probably get one myself soon since crystal light + tap water isn't really cutting it for me.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Well I may be in the market for a new washing machine. My 16 year-old LG TROMM may be more expensive to repair than getting a new unit, so I figure getting an idea of what's out there would be a smart idea.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

So far my experiences with the stuff from Bosch-Siemens group are pretty good. Decent parts availability, at least in Yurp.

A rental company that rented out the washing machines in my studio complex used Beko washing machines. That probably also says something about total operating cost in a situation where people do just whatever with the machines cause they're not their own machines.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
ok so looking for more of a software rec- but where/what is a good place to download music. want to get an mp3 player and i dont want to do the "download from youtube video-to-mp3" dance.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Well, actually…

https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp

I suspect that’s what the sites you mentioned are using as well. Get you a playlist of what you want, set a few tags and away it goes.

Or bandcamp I guess.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I think there's a gui for yt-dlp somewhere too, haven't looked in a while.

Or Soulseek? Is that still a thing?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

YouTube-dlg

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
I started work at a 135 year old school and have been tasked with digitizing the school's entire dead-tree archive. I have all the cadets I feel like throwing at the job, but I want a good, efficient and high-quality scanner to do this. I assume we'll need a large-format overhead scanner, but if anyone has any experience or recommendations, I'd love the help.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

burnsep posted:

I started work at a 135 year old school and have been tasked with digitizing the school's entire dead-tree archive. I have all the cadets I feel like throwing at the job, but I want a good, efficient and high-quality scanner to do this. I assume we'll need a large-format overhead scanner, but if anyone has any experience or recommendations, I'd love the help.

Are these books delicate or all still handled normally? For either, you usually don't use scanners that need squishing down. The best ones afaik are the ones that vacuum one page after another onto the scanline. Definitely get one which is able to turn pages, unless you hate yourself or your staff.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

SEKCobra posted:

Are these books delicate or all still handled normally? For either, you usually don't use scanners that need squishing down. The best ones afaik are the ones that vacuum one page after another onto the scanline. Definitely get one which is able to turn pages, unless you hate yourself or your staff.

There is very little material that is really delicate. Do you know any brands that are particularly well regarded?

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
Can you post a video or product page of one of these vacuum book scanners with page turner? This sounds fascinating and I'd love to see what one of these things looks like.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Phthisis posted:

Can you post a video or product page of one of these vacuum book scanners with page turner? This sounds fascinating and I'd love to see what one of these things looks like.

It looks like magic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmhIJOqepVU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I like using my phone as an alarm clock for its functionality, but I want to have a separate device for that purpose. I used to use my old phone for this with no SIM card in it, but it finally bit the dust. Is there an alarm clock that:

Allows multiple alarms to be set simultaneously (e.g. one at 7 to wake me up, and one at noon to remind me to feed the cat, but I can turn off the 7 AM one on Saturdays)
    Has snooze options
    Is USB-chargeable
    Is small enough to carry around if I want to bring it with me to another room
    Has a timer function

Or should I just buy a new phone or tablet just so I can use the Clock function that does all that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

It’s likely overkill but you might want to look into one of the assorted smart speaker home assistant deals. I personally prefer Google/Alphabet’s offering but it would be perfectly acceptable to try a different one. I’d also accept “gently caress that poo poo, I’m not putting microphones in my house”.