Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

continuing my epic series of bad purchasing decisions to upgrade my gear, I ordered a tone master twin. attenuating a twin to lower volume level is very attractive to me. And now realizing I have to buy pedals for it lol because I've been living on regular modeling amps for so long. for such an overpriced product, it's so god drat classic fender to not throw a software looper and delay / multieffects api onto it. I mean it's just a cpu in there like a mustang gt

I think I'll start with the behringer tube screamer and fuzz before anything else though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

ethanol posted:

I ordered a tone master twin

I never played one but heck yeah

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Posting this on behalf of my wife who has questions!

I'm looking to buy a first guitar and I've seen a secondhand Epiphone Dove Pro local to me. It looks in good condition and the listing said it's an unwanted Christmas present and has not been played. However, when I was looking up models online it seems the model name changed from Pro to Studio some years ago which has made me suspicious.

I asked for the serial number and checking it on an online look up it says it was made in Indonesia in 2020. The picture clearly says "Dove PRO" on the headstock. Has the naming changed back or could this be a counterfeit?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Aramoro posted:

Posting this on behalf of my wife who has questions!

I'm looking to buy a first guitar and I've seen a secondhand Epiphone Dove Pro local to me. It looks in good condition and the listing said it's an unwanted Christmas present and has not been played. However, when I was looking up models online it seems the model name changed from Pro to Studio some years ago which has made me suspicious.

I asked for the serial number and checking it on an online look up it says it was made in Indonesia in 2020. The picture clearly says "Dove PRO" on the headstock. Has the naming changed back or could this be a counterfeit?

i found some 2020 dove pros for sale, I don't think they stopped making them until 2021. It's not unusual for a new guitar to sit around unsold for that long. I just got one that had been in the shop since 2019.

my advice is also go to a store and play more than one guitar if you can before you buy.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
re taking flyers on random poo poo from ebay or reverb etc it's a fun adventure

I've been lucky and none of the no name guitars I've bought have been bad

I got ripped off by some loser in Serbia that never sent the neck I ordered but that's my only bad experience ymmv

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i got a vintage framus off ebay for like 300 bucks and it plays like a champ, so ebay guitars can be winners sometimes

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

The Fear posted:

re taking flyers on random poo poo from ebay or reverb etc it's a fun adventure

A decent chunk of my Reverb feed is Japanese shops with used gear so I can scoop up cool poo poo like lawsuit guitars and old Japanese superstrats for cheap. They're pretty good at shipping and you still come out pretty good even with paying 150-200 for shipping. Only ever bought stuff less than 800 USD so never had to worry about customs fees.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

ethanol posted:

If the Katana has an aux in you can route a audio line to that and use the headphone port to listen to both. But the way I do it is using an interface like a Scarlett, plug your headphones into that and turn on the track monitoring in recording software or on the interface direct monitor

Thanks I'll give that a go.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

im really not a strat fan, mostly, but drat if i domt want one of those fender japan 12 string strats from the 90s-2000s. those things are pimp

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

https://reverb.com/item/64242420-fe...ontent=64242420
nice color on there too

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Is there a place one can find and browse some Katana tones that others have made?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Quizzlefish posted:

Is there a place one can find and browse some Katana tones that others have made?

http://bosstonecentral.com/liveset/category/katana/

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

im really not a strat fan, mostly, but drat if i domt want one of those fender japan 12 string strats from the 90s-2000s. those things are pimp
I had that bug. Saw those prices.
Bought one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/303149247041

Scratched the itch, anyway. It works. Definitely a pain in the rear end to keep in tune, but not too hard to play.

(Pickguard and pickups replaced)

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

Oh nice. Easy as that eh.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

ethanol posted:

continuing my epic series of bad purchasing decisions to upgrade my gear, I ordered a tone master twin. attenuating a twin to lower volume level is very attractive to me. And now realizing I have to buy pedals for it lol because I've been living on regular modeling amps for so long. for such an overpriced product, it's so god drat classic fender to not throw a software looper and delay / multieffects api onto it. I mean it's just a cpu in there like a mustang gt

I think I'll start with the behringer tube screamer and fuzz before anything else though

Looking forward to the report. I’ve been considering a tone master deluxe as a way to get back to using a real amp and not just helix -> monitors so I can maybe get away from the computer sometimes.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

I sometimes look at getting a Tone King for the built-in attenuator and building a pedalboard to use with it and I think the Tone Master would accomplish something similar for less money and being less backbreaking. Definitely curious how it sounds in the room.

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

Zen. Hanging with a guitarist, performing guitar maintenance, and watching C-SPAN. Still loving the colors on lg's Strat. Thanks for dropping by, lg. :)

This warms my heart a bit, two of my favourite guitar thread posters hanging out :3

LG I'm glad you went with the Plumes, by the time I read your posts asking about overdrives you'd already bit the bullet on the Plumes and it was absolutely going to be my recommendation, I picked one up for my AC15 a few weeks before you started asking about them and it's just perfect.

Does anyone else enjoy getting amps to make sounds they really weren't designed for? I play in a punk band with very high gain, which I achieve by pushing the absolute gently caress out of the normal channel on my AC15 with the Plumes (Plugged into normal channel, normal volume on max and top boost volume on about 1/3rd, creates some circuit cross talk so you can use the 2 band EQ from the top boost circuit to affect the normal channel, use amp volume for actual volume). Plumes is set on the third dipswitch, volume and gain dimed and tone at 2 o'clock. It's gritty as gently caress and I love it

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
That's really sweet of you to say and I thank you very much. I want to share the trip report from my perspective, so sorry about the Faust-post:

It's been a year since I last hosted lg and it was really nice seeing her again. In the same way you can tell lg has been paying attention to her musical studies for the last year, I could immediately tell from that guitar neck a couple things: a) lg needs to clean that thing a little more often (I took naptha to the board and steel wool to the frets omg that thing was funky) and b) lg has seriously been playing it a LOT. The amount of fret wear after just one year was impressive. The neck is fine but clearly needs a level because as lg says there is some pretty bad buzzing around frets 3-4 that definitely needed working around. Lots of fret-wire left, which is good. There are divots on the frets all the way up the three plain strings and everywhere below the 5th fret, which I believe has caused the buzzing down low to worsen from last year. Someone has put a LOT of notes on this neck. :)
LG brought pots, caps, and a fresh new pickguard so we could start a fresh wiring job. First thing first I plugged in and played it for a few minutes and found the relief to be perfect. Just shy of dead straight. Confirmed the buzzing down below the fifth fret.
Then I zipped off the strings and neck, cleaned the neck up, and shielded the back of the new pickguard (I had spare material lying around and it couldn't hurt!) Moved the pickups over to the new pg and unlike last time the new wiring job appeared to check out on first test. H/S/S with 1V/2T and nothing fancy.
I can only speak for myself but the whole time I was working lg was comparing my new Les Paul to my Tele and taking down notes on the chord progressions she was coming up with, and the silences were perfectly comfortable to me. lg indeed sang the praises of a good humbucker into an edge-of-breakup tone producing clear voicings on extended chords, and it was some of the best guitar-talk I've had in years. I just can't praise lg enough here, the dedication and personality are fully on display. I heard some power chords that day but mostly the noodling and exploration on the neck was far more sophisticated. lg really does enjoy jazzy chords and I really enjoyed listening. lg passed along that being in class, forced to play in front of classes and audiences, does effectively numb you to playing in front of others which I hadn't thought about. O yeah, and we did watch the House on C-SPAN lol.

When I was ready to put the neck back on I handed lg my camera and asked for a couple shots to remember the day by. This is how I used to hang with my guitarist friends back when I still had guitarist friends: I was their string-change/setup/wiring guy because I enjoy the work so much and it's even better when you hand them their guitar back all cleaned and setup. When it works out well, it makes me feel good (which I don't do much these days).

Once the neck was on and the pictures taken it was getting into rush hour around Charlotte so I only insisted on putting strings on (just so I could plug it in and verify the wiring was working as intended for sure) but didn't have time to see if I could do anything about the buzzing. I wanted to get out my allen keys and start fiddling with the D-string saddle first but lg knows how to do a setup so we called it a day.

lg talked about her latest approaches to the instrument and writing and I could have talked about that all day if i didn't have solder smoke in my eyes.

Thanks for coming by, lg. I hope the guitar treated you well in class on Thursday.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jan 6, 2023

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

That's really sweet of you to say and I thank you very much. I want to share the trip report from my perspective, so sorry about the Faust-post:

It's been a year since I last hosted lg and it was really nice seeing her again. In the same way you can tell lg has been paying attention to her musical studies for the last year, I could immediately tell from that guitar neck a couple things: a) lg needs to clean that thing a little more often (I took naptha to the board and steel wool to the frets omg that thing was funky) and b) lg has seriously been playing it a LOT. The amount of fret wear after just one year was impressive. The neck is fine but clearly needs a level because as lg says there is some pretty bad buzzing around frets 3-4 that definitely needed working around. Lots of fret-wire left, which is good. There are divots on the frets all the way up the three plain strings and everywhere below the 5th fret, which I believe has caused the buzzing down low to worsen from last year. Someone has put a LOT of notes on this neck. :)
LG brought pots, caps, and a fresh new pickguard so we could start a fresh wiring job. First thing first I plugged in and played it for a few minutes and found the relief to be perfect. Just shy of dead straight. Confirmed the buzzing down below the fifth fret.
Then I zipped off the strings and neck, cleaned the neck up, and shielded the back of the new pickguard (I had spare material lying around and it couldn't hurt!) Moved the pickups over to the new pg and unlike last time the new wiring job appeared to check out on first test. H/S/S with 1V/2T and nothing fancy.
I can only speak for myself but the whole time I was working lg was comparing my new Les Paul to my Tele and taking down notes on the chord progressions she was coming up with, and the silences were perfectly comfortable to me. lg indeed sang the praises of a good humbucker into an edge-of-breakup tone producing clear voicings on extended chords, and it was some of the best guitar-talk I've had in years. I just can't praise lg enough here, the dedication and personality are fully on display. I heard some power chords that day but mostly the noodling and exploration on the neck was far more sophisticated. lg really does enjoy jazzy chords and I really enjoyed listening. lg passed along that being in class, forced to play in front of classes and audiences, does effectively numb you to playing in front of others which I hadn't thought about. O yeah, and we did watch the House on C-SPAN lol.

When I was ready to put the neck back on I handed lg my camera and asked for a couple shots to remember the day by. This is how I used to hang with my guitarist friends back when I still had guitarist friends: I was their string-change/setup/wiring guy because I enjoy the work so much and it's even better when you hand them their guitar back all cleaned and setup. When it works out well, it makes me feel good (which I don't do much these days).

Once the neck was on and the pictures taken it was getting into rush hour around Charlotte so I only insisted on putting strings on (just so I could plug it in and verify the wiring was working as intended for sure) but didn't have time to see if I could do anything about the buzzing. I wanted to get out my allen keys and start fiddling with the D-string saddle first but lg knows how to do a setup so we called it a day.

lg talked about her latest approaches to the instrument and writing and I could have talked about that all day if i didn't have solder smoke in my eyes.

Thanks for coming by, lg. I hope the guitar treated you well in class on Thursday.

Heart warmed even warmer. This is really beautiful seeing one of the old hats bonding with someone so insatiably curious about everything guitar, very much what this whole thread is about. LG as much as we've had some little clashes in this thread I honestly am very proud of your journey with the instrument, and I'm absolutely stoked that Faustus has been able to see your progression over a year or so. LG I'd like to parrot what another poster recommended at the start of this page, I know it's not your wheelhouse but I think you'll benefit from it a lot - check out some 90s skate punk. The pace is a bit higher than your norm but the entire attitude of it is in line with what you've been asking for. Sometimes simplifying structure is a huge benefit. I was the same as you for a long time with my writing, seeking "ideals" with chord voicings and trying to sound unique. And yes, that does work for a number of genres (including skate punk!) but depending on genre, you might be doing yourself a disservice by using an alternate voicing. Power chords aren't a bad thing!

As a side note, this link will only stay up for a few days but I'd very much appreciate any feedback that anyone can give. My band recently recorded our first single, it hasn't yet gone to master but I do have the rough filmclip mix which we received yesterday. This thread has been indispensable for my own recent guitar journey, getting back into guitar after a decade hiatus, joining a band and gearing up for that so it feels odd not to share this. Anyway, the entire composition is by me but the mix is incredibly rough so if poo poo's wrong with the mix don't [/url]

SwissDonkey fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 7, 2023

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I had a bizarre malfunction again last night playing around (my new amp arrives later today so it was old setup with a mustang).

I plug in, turn on the amp, strum and no volume. I turn all the dials I know exist. No sound. I switch from switch positioni 5 to position 4. Sound returns. Huh.. well ok. All guitar knobs are at 10. Switch to position 5 and no still no sound. I think oh well I guess the switch or pickup just popped.

I turn the amp off, i turn it back on again. position 5 works and sounds fine again. This has happened twice in a few days.

Just about the only thing I can think of is some sort of phase cancelling or something from the modeling amp, but the fact it only occurs on position 5 and turning hte amp off and on fixes it is quite perplexing to me

ethanol fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 6, 2023

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
:)
Link isn't working for me. I gotta go do a strings section practice with my bassist but when I get back tonight I hope the link is fixed!

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

:)
Link isn't working for me. I gotta go do a strings section practice with my bassist but when I get back tonight I hope the link is fixed!

No idea what happened there, try [/url]

SwissDonkey fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 7, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

ethanol posted:

I had a bizarre malfunction again last night playing around (my new amp arrives later today so it was old setup with a mustang).

I plug in, turn on the amp, strum and no volume. I turn all the dials I know exist. No sound. I switch from switch positioni 5 to position 4. Sound returns. Huh.. well ok. All guitar knobs are at 10. Switch to position 5 and no still no sound. I think oh well I guess the switch or pickup just popped.

I turn the amp off, i turn it back on again. position 5 works and sounds fine again. This has happened twice in a few days.

Just about the only thing I can think of is some sort of phase cancelling or something from the modeling amp, but the fact it only occurs on position 5 and turning hte amp off and on fixes it is quite perplexing to me

I'd bet it's a loose wire on the guitar and the amp poo poo is a red herring.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'd bet it's a loose wire on the guitar and the amp poo poo is a red herring.

if it is a loose wire, i'll find out pretty fast on the other amp. NBD I can solder pretty well

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Quizzlefish posted:

Oh nice. Easy as that eh.

These guys do some good stuff and they just put up a bunch of patches, you can preview them with their YouTube video. They're using the boss tone exchange which I haven't used before but it does look to be free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM9-KWSV8K0

duodenum fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 6, 2023

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

SwissDonkey posted:

This warms my heart a bit, two of my favourite guitar thread posters hanging out :3

LG I'm glad you went with the Plumes, by the time I read your posts asking about overdrives you'd already bit the bullet on the Plumes and it was absolutely going to be my recommendation, I picked one up for my AC15 a few weeks before you started asking about them and it's just perfect.

unfortunately i haven't actually been able to get a sound out of it that i like so far... might need to do some more experimenting or putting it after the RAT in the signal chain instead of before, or using it separately...

SwissDonkey posted:

Does anyone else enjoy getting amps to make sounds they really weren't designed for? I play in a punk band with very high gain, which I achieve by pushing the absolute gently caress out of the normal channel on my AC15 with the Plumes (Plugged into normal channel, normal volume on max and top boost volume on about 1/3rd, creates some circuit cross talk so you can use the 2 band EQ from the top boost circuit to affect the normal channel, use amp volume for actual volume). Plumes is set on the third dipswitch, volume and gain dimed and tone at 2 o'clock. It's gritty as gently caress and I love it

i have a hot rod deville 3, the 2x12 model and i'm way into emo and midwest emo and pop punk type stuff. i run it on the clean channel with the bright switch pushed down, which i think is why i love the RAT so much-- it completely saturates the signal. it's like a gain channel in itself, almost, which is great because the hot rod gain channel is pretty notoriously bad.

someone in this thread or in the discord years and years ago i think said something along the lines of "a lot of money has been spent trying to recreate the sound of a RAT through a clean fender amp" and i think that's probably verrrry true.

my only issue is that the hot rod amps are pretty dark, at least to might ears, so it's really hard to get that "immediate" sound and it can sound muddy with humbuckers. speaker changes could probably change that, but honestly? that seems like a whole loving nightmare in itself and i'm not sure i wanna commit the time + money... i'll probably just make the next step "up" above a hot rod and fix it that way.

Dr. Faustus posted:

no one ever told me how to clean a guitar! i had noticed the frets get kinda foggy over time, just never knew what to do to fix them. kind of assumed guitars usually got that way and chasing that cleanliness was something i had to stop myself from doing to avoid going nuts :S

the high string divots are really weird to me, because i feel like i never play those high strings. i guess i do.

Dr. Faustus posted:

First thing first I plugged in and played it for a few minutes and found the relief to be perfect. Just shy of dead straight. Confirmed the buzzing down below the fifth fret.

i should have mentioned this but i stopped complaining in the thread about neck relief and stuff because a few months ago i did actually just buy a straight edge and some feeler gauges and wrenches, so i could do all the poo poo. it's one of those things where i was so afraid i'd gently caress something up that i never did it, but one day i eventually got the confidence, watched a video or two about it, and yeah, it turned out it was easy.

one thing i noticed is that the humbucker sounds darker than before-- not sure if that's a wiring thing, or if the wiring when it had the push/pull pot was between parallel and coil split, and i'd been using it in single coil mode. but it does sound good and i had band practice yesterday, and it gave my lead player JB envy :)

i don't know if the tone knob wasn't working on the bridge when i was there, and a connection broke, or something, but when i got home, neither tone knob affects the bridge... i suppose maybe the darkness could be the pot dying on a specific setting that's not "fully open"?

i'm not upset really, though, because i had the long shaft pots anyway... so i ended up just ordering three of the correct size pots and i'll go to GC and have the woman there change them out. i'm not too bothered, since there was so much other stuff you did as well as most of the wiring being totally fine, except for that one knob.

Dr. Faustus posted:

I heard some power chords that day but mostly the noodling and exploration on the neck was far more sophisticated. lg really does enjoy jazzy chords and I really enjoyed listening. lg passed along that being in class, forced to play in front of classes and audiences, does effectively numb you to playing in front of others which I hadn't thought about. O yeah, and we did watch the House on C-SPAN lol.

didnt end up mentioning it, cause i thought i had, but i actually had to leave school for money + emotional reasons :l but i'm still doing stuff with my band once a week, and i do want to go back to school eventually, because i grew immensely as a musician in the last two semesters. and not even just on guitar-- i actually never majored in guitar, just played it in jazz band, but also everywhere else... learning stuff on the piano and seeing other chord forms, seeing how music is assembled together, composition class where i had to write and arrange stuff for formal instruments, and music theory. classical training is really great, even though that's not most of what i listen to and i don't write any in my free time... what i've found is that you just have to be thoughtful about where to apply it.

at times i felt like i had bad taste or was trashy or something, being taught all that formal music, but using it to write emo songs, or going home, and ignoring homework, so i could see how the stuff i was learning was in the songs i had been listening to the whole time. now i realize that's actually really great practice, because it taught me how to make the most of classical training. i'm really fortunate that i had the instructor i did -- he has a doctorate in composition, and had an impeccable ear and had clearly been doing music and teaching music so long that he was super quick with it... but he was 62, and liked a lot of classic rock and stuff, so he was definitely not someone who taught that "everything good was written 400 years ago" or that sort of stuff. had a lot of interesting conversations with him and i think he was kind of amused/interested by how i was always connecting classical theory to pop rock...

the thing you didn't here about my style was because i was playing someone else's guitars-- i love punk and that's the way i usually play. usually pretty fast, or a nutty strumming pattern, or both, and i definitely palm mute stuff. but the extended and jazzy chords are what i find really inspiring, because i'm always trying to pull one that matches a very specific feeling i have at that moment... i just often play them through a RAT and really fast :p

SwissDonkey posted:

Heart warmed even warmer. This is really beautiful seeing one of the old hats bonding with someone so insatiably curious about everything guitar, very much what this whole thread is about. LG as much as we've had some little clashes in this thread I honestly am very proud of your journey with the instrument, and I'm absolutely stoked that Faustus has been able to see your progression over a year or so. LG I'd like to parrot what another poster recommended at the start of this page, I know it's not your wheelhouse but I think you'll benefit from it a lot - check out some 90s skate punk. The pace is a bit higher than your norm but the entire attitude of it is in line with what you've been asking for. Sometimes simplifying structure is a huge benefit. I was the same as you for a long time with my writing, seeking "ideals" with chord voicings and trying to sound unique. And yes, that does work for a number of genres (including skate punk!) but depending on genre, you might be doing yourself a disservice by using an alternate voicing. Power chords aren't a bad thing!

oh 90s skate punk isn't very far off base from stuff i like a lot. at least, i don't think so.

when i was a kid i only heard contemporary christian music in my mom's car, but the light in all of that was actually that my older brother loved the tony hawk games and we had a ton of them. i think i imprinted on a lot of classic punk just from being exposed to it and occasionally finding myself really enjoying a song.

like, i remember hearing amoeba (adolescents), blitzkrieg bop (ramones), armageddon (alkaline trio), white riot (the clash), beat your heart out (distillers), los angeles (x), wash away (tsol but covered by alkaline trio), astro zombies (misfits but covered by MCR), ever fallen in love (buzzcocks but covered by thursday), through the different games, and having specific moments where i was like "this is good music". but i didn't even know to identify it as "punk" and definitely not "emo" until much later... i just thought of it as "rock music". and i always enjoyed how fast they were.

i ended up later getting into some of that stuff-- the first alkaline trio album for instance is so fun to play on guitar.

i'm actually not against power chords at all and i do a lot of stuff that's very power chord-y -- inverted power chords, or only playing an interval in place of a full chord, or really low chord voicings that sound like power chords.

something i picked up from all the classical training is actually not feeling bad about all of the power chords -- because now i conceive of the music as something happening between all of the instruments and vocals. and this stacks out, because like...

the F shape barre chord, muting the high E and B strings, is really, really common. that first, fifth, octave, third formation-- common on guitar, common in punk, but also in writing for chorales. a power chord is just the bottom part of that, played on the guitar. you know what's happening most of the time in that case?? the vocalist is singing the third, right above the power chord. because it's a really lovely, clean sound-- like a bunch of sopranos singing the third of the chord in a choir. on guitar in standard tuning it's usually in the high second octave and through the third octave-- notes that are perfectly within range for almost anyone with a masculine vocal range.

so yes i embrace simple stuff for sure, especially since i'm trying to write in mind with the idea that i'll be singing while playing. but all the theory training and just learning the neck helped-- i don't cycle through a bunch of voicings just trying stuff until it works. now, i either know a voicing that'll work and go to it pretty instinctively, or, i know enough about theory to spend five minutes building the voicings myself. it actually taught me the fretboard a lot, knowing intellectually what notes i needed, and having to find them on the neck.

jesus sorry for the novel!

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

oh and one last thing-- that kind of mix of my fixations i think either comes from or leads to my love of 90s emo, for sure-- like sunny day real estate, and the first american football album, and jimmy eat world's clarity album. definitely having punk at their core, that wonderful, vulnerable, immediate expression of emotion, but a little more progressive, emotional, and thought out. to me, technical music is very very powerful when it's very emotional and vulnerable... it kind of communicates more work, struggle, and specificity of the feelings.

i have complex ptsd, and i feel everything really hard because of that, which i think is why i love those really specific jazz chords, but i also love some simple angst.

even the other art that really speaks to me is almost in the same vein -- like, i love the bell jar, and great expectations, and sons and lovers (dh lawrence). i love modernist novels about characters with really specific lives and vulnerabilities.

and that's not all i listen to, but it's certainly the stuff that i feel like i understand through my experiences for sure

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
This is my anxiety posting for sure, but I got my first fret-dress on my 21yr old MIM Strat recently and I'm worried about what happens next time - what happens next? Does the guitar just become junk? Should I just save for a new one? This guitar feels like no other and I've started treating it with kid gloves, which it's antithetical to me.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

This is my anxiety posting for sure, but I got my first fret-dress on my 21yr old MIM Strat recently and I'm worried about what happens next time - what happens next? Does the guitar just become junk? Should I just save for a new one? This guitar feels like no other and I've started treating it with kid gloves, which it's antithetical to me.

There should be enough life in the frets for several more jobs, after which you can either get a refret (often more expensive but keeps the guitar as unchanged as possible) or a whole new neck - that was originally the whole point of bolt-on necks: easy replacement when the frets wear out.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If you like everything else about the neck get it refretted with stainless steel frets and never worry about getting it refretted again.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
What's less expensive, a whole new neck or a refret job? I have an equally old strat that ive ground down over that amount of time. I asked guitar center and they quoted me $400 for it so I figured I'd save up and eventually resurrect the guitar with a refret and a Floyd conversion since it's a very sentimental guitar for me

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Thumposaurus posted:

If you like everything else about the neck get it refretted with stainless steel frets and never worry about getting it refretted again.

This right here. Shouldn't honestly cost much more than a new MIM neck anyhow, if at all. Hard part is just finding a luthier to do it

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

What's less expensive, a whole new neck or a refret job? I have an equally old strat that ive ground down over that amount of time. I asked guitar center and they quoted me $400 for it so I figured I'd save up and eventually resurrect the guitar with a refret and a Floyd conversion since it's a very sentimental guitar for me

If you shop around you can find a complete fretted neck for 200 bucks or less, especially for strats. If you wanna spend a little more, Warmoth necks rule, and they make just about every neck profile conceivable.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

this place in new Hampshire has some nice necks.

https://stratosphereparts.com/

I've got local friends that get stuff from them and they sound pretty great.

edit:

I got hte new amp, sounds great so far. I'll need some time with it.

The guitar was still having issues so its definitely wiring. I took out the pickguard and couldnt find any loose leads. It started working again and i couldnt get it to stop working, so I really had no way to further debug. the one thing I noticed was that the coil wrap ending on the suspect pickup, it was still connected to the wire solder joint, but the wrap end that is normally looped around the joint a couple times is severed. so it doesn't wrap around to the other side and through the hole anymore, but it's still soldered in so I don't see how that would be the issue... But maybe it's not enough contact anymore.

I made a little diagram to explain, the red bit is severed. but the main lead is still soldered in

ethanol fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 6, 2023

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Thumposaurus posted:

i like the general specs and feel of the neck a lot but i think i'd like the look of a rosewood fretboard more.

when i can, i'll just get levelling done in that area and worry about other stuff down the road.

this guitar body color is actually really frustrating because i've come to like it the best out of any fender color. if i got other models of guitars, and i could, i would get them in this finish! i'm not out so it was probably honestly a waste of money, but i like that finish/color so much, that when i found some essie nail polish that was the exact same color, i had to buy it! so it really sucks to know that like, i can only ever get it from CME and i can only ever get it on a MIM guitar. and for who knows how long. and that sort of thing. and at least right now, i couldn't get it on a jaguar or a mustang (which is really weird, because it's called pacific peach, you'd think they'd put it on a surf guitar, but whatever)

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
IMO the neck is like, 90% of the mojo and I'd happily pay for a refret on a neck I loved vs rolling the dice on a replacement for half as much (which you might still need to pay for fret work on).

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Thanks, folks! It's an academic problem at the moment, but anxiety is a hell of a drug!

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

actually is it possible this pickup got stuck in parallel?

like, if the knob was pushed down when the old pot was was disconnected, would it be stuck in parallel mode?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

oh apparently i liked the sound of it in parallel but found it too dark in series the entire time.

god drat it. i should've known not to rock the boat. gently caress me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

landgrabber posted:

actually is it possible this pickup got stuck in parallel?

like, if the knob was pushed down when the old pot was was disconnected, would it be stuck in parallel mode?

No, the pot doesn't switch something invisible inside the pickup, it just decides how wires are connected.