Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Interestingly, CSPAN's chyron was already saying McCarthy had lost when it was only 5 defections

There are only 434 members present....does 217 count as a majority or do they need 50% +1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I did not see Gosar coming, I'll freely admit.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

delfin posted:

I did not see Gosar coming, I'll freely admit.

Neither did he, by the dejected way he said it.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Will they try to get it to a plurality win? or would there be too much of a risk of someone messing it up and giving the win to Jeffries?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Youth Decay posted:

Will they try to get it to a plurality win? or would there be too much of a risk of someone messing it up and giving the win to Jeffries?

That would require a majority vote to amend the rules, which means it would need Dem support.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
Are there enough nonvotes now to push the threshold down and get McCarthy over the line?

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Neither did he, by the dejected way he said it.

I am still trying to process what the gently caress that exit was. I have never seen a human move like that.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Youth Decay posted:

They have a better shot at flipping two HFC holdouts than forcing a rules change at this point.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
After Vote 12, the holdouts are
Biggs R-AZ
Boebert R-CO
Crane R-AZ
Gaetz R-FL
Good R-VA
Harris R-MD
Rosendale R-MT

Youth Decay posted:

You need to win a majority vote to change it to a plurality vote, which I doubt McCarthy can get

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
They'll try at least one more now the wind is blowing McCarthy's way, if they can't get the wingnuts to fold by tonight they might try plurality if this afternoon's swingers hold

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Roy and Gosar are surprising. Wonder what they got.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

TLM3101 posted:

I am still trying to process what the gently caress that exit was. I have never seen a human move like that.

I missed it. Anyone got a clip?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Only 432 voters this time, so half is 216 and McCarthy had 214. Close!

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

This is truly the best way to govern a country.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

smackfu posted:

Buck, Hunt, who's the third missing?

EDIT: Oh right, the dead guy.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 6, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

TGLT posted:

Roy and Gosar are surprising. Wonder what they got.

A screening of the footage of Madison Cawthorn face-loving his cousin, as a reminder.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Saw these flips coming.

That Hannity interview with Boebert I posted last night really showed how disorganized the holdout coalition was.

It was pathetically obvious that they have no viable alternative candidate. Their strategy seems to be just stonewalling and humiliating McCarthy until he gives in and steps aside so that a viable compromise candidate can emerge.

But McCarthy seems to realize that no matter how many miles of poo poo he has to crawl through and humiliation he has to suffer, as long as he keeps going, and never steps aside, there will be no space for a viable compromise candidate to emerge and he will eventually be elected Speaker due to there simply being no other options, and he will have his Shawshank moment.

Only 7 holdouts left. Should just be a matter of time now. Social Psychology suggests enough of the holdouts will cave (or compromise by voting present) to the peer pressure eventually.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 6, 2023

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

smackfu posted:

They would need 50%+1, so 217 assuming the current absences don't return to the chamber.

Still, 3 votes off is a hell of a lot better than where things ended last night, so I suspect they will pursue more votes pretty rapidly today with their first signs of real progress.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

smackfu posted:

drat, too close. Need this to continue on into next week at a minimum.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

One of the Dems didn't vote this time. Trone?

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

EDIT: Oh right, the dead guy.

VA-4 is vacant as Donald McEachin died on November 28

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The other risk for McCarthy is if he concedes too much to the point of losing support from the non-batshit side.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I missed it. Anyone got a clip?

Sorry. I was too weirded out. The closest thing I can think of is someone who's just lost their spouse and gotten drunk.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

smackfu posted:

Unless I'm missing something, the C-span vote count is wrong and is giving one extra vote to McCarthy. Trone (D), Buck, and Hunt (Rs) are not voting for various reasons (Buck and Hunt are out of town for medical/family reasons; don't know about Trone), and then there's the dead guy. That's 4 total absences from the 435 possible, leaving 431 named votes cast this time.

The WaPo vote tracker has it accurate.

AtraMorS fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 6, 2023

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Youth Decay posted:

The other risk for McCarthy is if he concedes too much to the point of losing support from the non-batshit side.

Gets Speaker, can’t manage to pass rules package… that would be fun.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

I AM GRANDO posted:

A screening of the footage of Madison Cawthorn face-loving his cousin, as a reminder.

If they had that kind of material they'd have already threatened them with it.

I'm hearing on CNN there's a deal for refusing any clean debt ceiling increase. lmao if they think McCarthy'll stick to his word but it sounds like that might have been what got them over.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Better question, can he hold onto all those questionable flips (Gosar, etc) through a couple more votes?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Basically what we're going to see today, and maybe the next time the gavel in, is who can be personally bought out of their opposition and who is here to sacrifice McCarthy to Moloch. We're almost certain that there are between 5 and 8 hardliners who will only relent when Keven McCarthy's head is mounted above the doors to the Chamber.

So as we settle in for the unending merriment of McCarthy's public humiliation, what do you think are the baseline things that the Democrats will hold out for in a hypothetical agreement to get someone into the chair? My guess is that the only absolute must for them is a guarantee that the debt ceiling raise gets brought to the floor. Everything else is negotiable. After that I'd guess that the order of asks by them in decreeing likelihood to be accepted by the mythic non-Kevin are
  • Whichever budget passes the Senate is brought to the House floor as is for a vote
  • Equal number of seats on committees
  • Nobody stripped of a committee seat gets it back
  • Some of the crazies who still had committee seats get theirs stripped
  • Actual power sharing on the committees (ie co-chairs)
  • Limitations on how insane the investigations into Biden's family gets

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Even after they finally elect McCarthy (who is probably the least poo poo option among all of the poo poo the GOP has nominated), might as well leave this thread open for the next 2 years because they're gonna do this poo poo and dumber poo poo for every thing that gets proposed.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Do the Dems really need to argue in favor of the debt ceiling increase? It seems like most of the moderate Rs would grumble and be forced to support it anyway because it would cause massive economic issues and they are still beholden to businesses and billionaires.

And it seems like the House would be blamed for it.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

koolkal posted:

Do the Dems really need to argue in favor of the debt ceiling increase? It seems like most of the moderate Rs would grumble and be forced to support it anyway because it would cause massive economic issues and they are still beholden to businesses and billionaires.

Moderate Republicans still want to use the Debt Ceiling as a bludgeon to cut spending on programs that democrats favor

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

koolkal posted:

A clean increase would pass with a huge safe majority. That's why the GOP fights as hard as it can to never put it on the table. They always want to tack whatever horrible nonsense they can get onto it - it's a hostage negotiation.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
gently caress it, Democrats should demand that the first order of business is to just cancel the debt ceiling.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

koolkal posted:

Anything that passes the senate with 60 votes (like a clean debt ceiling increase) would easily pass a house vote, but the freedom caucus want changes that would let them stop the vote from happening

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

AtraMorS posted:

Unless I'm missing something, the C-span vote count is wrong and is giving one extra vote to McCarthy. Trone (D), Buck, and Hunt (Rs) are not voting for various reasons (Buck and Hunt are out of town for medical/family reasons; don't know about Trone), and then there's the dead guy. That's 4 total absences from the 435 possible, leaving 431 named votes cast this time.

The WaPo vote tracker has it accurate.

Trone had scheduled surgery and is now back.
https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1611434437408919562

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Gyges posted:

Basically what we're going to see today, and maybe the next time the gavel in, is who can be personally bought out of their opposition and who is here to sacrifice McCarthy to Moloch. We're almost certain that there are between 5 and 8 hardliners who will only relent when Keven McCarthy's head is mounted above the doors to the Chamber.

So as we settle in for the unending merriment of McCarthy's public humiliation, what do you think are the baseline things that the Democrats will hold out for in a hypothetical agreement to get someone into the chair? My guess is that the only absolute must for them is a guarantee that the debt ceiling raise gets brought to the floor. Everything else is negotiable. After that I'd guess that the order of asks by them in decreeing likelihood to be accepted by the mythic non-Kevin are
  • Whichever budget passes the Senate is brought to the House floor as is for a vote
  • Equal number of seats on committees
  • Nobody stripped of a committee seat gets it back
  • Some of the crazies who still had committee seats get theirs stripped
  • Actual power sharing on the committees (ie co-chairs)
  • Limitations on how insane the investigations into Biden's family gets

I think Gaetz is the only irredeemable hardliner who will burn it all and that's just because the guy takes absolutely none of this seriously. Even him they could probably flip if they came up with something to give him that he thought was even funnier than him continuing to troll everyone.

As for the Dems, is it accurate that any backroom concessions or promises McCarthy makes to anyone are just based on his word alone and there's no real legal basis that any of those promises be kept?

If so then the Dems would be idiots to accept any deal from McCarthy.

McCarthy's biggest shame is that he wants everyone on his side to like him so much, yet they all, even his supporters, actually hate him.

For the GOP one of the worst crimes is working with the Democrats. At the same time, one of best ways to score points with the GOP is to gently caress over and humiliate the Democrats.

So McCarthy would be incredibly incentivized to go back on any deal he made with the Democrats and then smugly pretend it was all part of some chessmaster genius strategy to gently caress them over and advance Conservative ideals.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Piell posted:

Trone had scheduled surgery and is now back.
https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1611434437408919562

LOL what a kick in the nuts that is

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

-Blackadder- posted:

As for the Dems, is it accurate that any backroom concessions or promises McCarthy makes to anyone are just based on his word alone and there's no real legal basis that any of those promises be kept?

Correct, which is why no one thinks the Dems will accept any deal from McCarthy. Especially when "Republicans flail" is such a good reward for not accepting a deal.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://twitter.com/petridishes/status/1611429078934118401

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

-Blackadder- posted:

The house doesn't have rules until after there's a speaker, they would put the promises in the rules. The freedom caucus negotiations are mainly over house rules too.