Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Recursive
Jul 15, 2006

... but then again, who does?
It was for Trone coming back post surgery to vote.

Only time in my life I've seen something in congress where I agree with the clapping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

No Safe Word posted:

Because Trone was out for the previous vote and came back I guess

Trone came back wearing surgery slippers with his arm in a sling

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

-Blackadder- posted:

Question: If the rules package needs to be written and then voted on, and that all takes place AFTER McCarthy is made speaker, why would Perry and the rest trust that any of these extreme concessions that McCarthy is making would actually go through?
The same reason Dems shouldn't make a deal: there's nothing beholding McCarthy to following it. When you have a fragile majority though, he actually has to back up what he says to some degree.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

If one wins a position by 1 vote or whatever it's gonna be, and there are mechanisms for removing one, one mustn't piss off a single person from there on out.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Youth Decay posted:

https://twitter.com/jakesherman/status/1611447263364096001

With those two they only need one more flip right?

Two. He needs 50%+1, which is 218 once they get back.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Youremother posted:

The DEAFENING silence. I feel awkward just watching

The rank and file conservative GOP finally feels fully done with the MAGA poo poo now at long last, but are unable to cut them loose still at this time. Because of them they are effectively still in the minority even in the house. This is usually when we start to see spinoff parties come about when differences within a major one render them unable to effectively function anymore.

Theres literally no electoral or political benefit to the GOP that MAGA provides anymore and its seemingly finally an effective hamper on their prospects of winning senate majorities or the presidency.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Kale posted:

Theres literally no electoral or political benefit to the GOP that MAGA provides anymore and its seemingly finally an effective hamper on their prospects of winning senate majorities or the presidency.

They can still win majorities. It’s just much harder to govern effectively.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Kale posted:

It's primaries, MAGA/HFC is so influential because they have a disproportionate effect on the Republican primary in districts that actually elect Republicans.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

nelson posted:

They can still win majorities. It’s just much harder to govern effectively.

I don't think the gop counts as having the house majority until they can elect a leader.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Kale posted:

The rank and file conservative GOP finally feels fully done with the MAGA poo poo now at long last, but are unable to cut them loose still at this time. Because of them they are effectively still in the minority even in the house.

Kevin McCarthy is the Trumpendorsed speaker candidate.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

Trump was riding the tiger the whole time. He was just so crazy that it was easy to forget.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Uglycat posted:

I don't think the gop counts as having the house majority until they can elect a leader.

With their latest vote they’re closer than the Democrats.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Paracaidas posted:

Fat lot of good thats done so far with the holdouts that should be hearing that and falling in line but aren't. I dony know what to call it but seems we are in post MAGA territory if he cant whip people like Gaetz and Boeberts votes anymore.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Am I crazy or does Gosar look absolutely blitzed?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If we only count houses where there was a clear single party majority, what's the record for number of votes? We can't really compare to whatever the hell was happening in the 1800s with 6 different parties in congress.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

nelson posted:

And it only took them 12 tries to beat them!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
How many of the holdouts have to be Present or Absent for KM to win with the current 214 aye votes assuming he can't get any, maybe at most 1, to vote for him? Or does Present not change the math?

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

nelson posted:

Do you mean to imply dems held the majority until that vote?

No, the dem plurality just fell to the new gop* plurality.

Nobody has a majority.

As shown by the votes on record.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Kale posted:

Fat lot of good thats done so far with the holdouts that should be hearing that and falling in line but aren't. I dony know what to call it but seems we are in post MAGA territory if he cant whip people like Gaetz and Boeberts votes anymore.

Boebert is in congress because she primaried a Trump endorsed incumbent, the freedom caucus thing isn't really about Trump.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

No, I noticed the same thing when he broke up with Gaetz and voted for McCarthy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Boo! What kind of wimp is this guy? There’s room for five more votes today, at least!

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

"Yeah we apprecite you clerks but we're gonna make you work at 10pm on a Friday"

is that man my old boss?

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

It's an open secret that Gosar has Parkinson's (or something similar). Can't imagine these long days are great for his health.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I mean, I totally would be swigging from a flask at this point if I was a congressman right now. Maybe even just drinking straight from a fifth of bourbon with my feet propped up on the desk.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 6, 2023

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

https://twitter.com/bresreports/status/1611460073674641408

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I know that it wouldn't benefit the Republicans at all and would be entirely meaningless, but they should make McCarthy promise that he won't accept the office of President if Harris or Biden were killed because that would legitimately be funny

Also he has to wear Loony Tunes ties for his entire term.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Uglycat posted:

Do you mean to imply dems held the majority until that vote?

No.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Kevin thinks he has it sealed up.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1611459783332343809

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

God if he Charlie Browns that football again I'm gonna laugh so fuckin hard.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Trump was riding the tiger the whole time. He was just so crazy that it was easy to forget.

And the HFC is too crazy for Trump to back. Let that marinate for a while.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Lemniscate Blue posted:

And the HFC is too crazy for Trump to back. Let that marinate for a while.

It's more that Trump doesn't like backing Losers, if they were winners he'd back them.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Could be a fun head fake in the prisoner's dilemna, could be true, I will have fun :munch: either way

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
McCarthy finally conceded to their last demand, he will be called Reek at all times.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Sounds like an incredibly crooked law firm.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's more that Trump doesn't like backing Losers, if they were winners he'd back them.

Pretty much what I meant: too crazy to acknowledge reality even to the extent that Trump does.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

According to CNN:

- Some people flipped because they were tired of voting and wanted to go home for the weekend (lmao).

The rest flipped because of a new set of promises that includes (but is not limited to and includes some other unannounced promises):

- Giving specific people gavels.
- Funding an anti-January 6th Committee Committee with several million dollars.
- Promising to freeze all spending in every budget up through 2024.
- HFC gets to pick members of the rules committee.
- Rule to force a vote to depose the Speaker with the request of a single congressperson.
- The House Majority PAC will coordinate with private Super PACs from Club For Growth and not spend money supporting different candidates in primaries for safe seats.
- Vote for a constitutional amendment on term limits.
- Vote on a bill to fund the border wall and require more aggressive internal enforcement of immigration law/deportations (i.e. not at the border).
- Promise to not vote to raise the debt limit without spending cuts.
- Promise to lay out a balanced budget with specific cuts to SS, Medicare, and Medicaid and hold a vote on it.
- Promise to vote to remove Omar and Swalwell from committees and reinstate MTG.

Basically, a bunch of embarrassing votes that are doomed to fail, permission to gamble with destroying the economy, McCarthy has to embarrass himself, and McCarthy will always be 1-2 votes away from being deposed at all times.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 6, 2023

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
My favorite part of this whole mess is that MTG was the first to fold

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- Giving specific people gavels.

Hahahahahahaha is this for real? And a GAVEL! I WANT A GAVEL!!!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Youremother posted:

Hahahahahahaha is this for real? And a GAVEL! I WANT A GAVEL!!!

Gavel as in Chairmanships of committees. Skipping elections and seniority and just having Kevin decide to give it to specific people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
They are inventing new and exciting ways to embarrass themselves ahead of getting the poo poo slapped out of the GOP in another GE. Good job Kev dawg