Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Glad to hear the NFL themselves stepped in to assist with getting his foundation shored up. Hate em or hate em, they definitely have the people that know how to establish organizations. In return they will be trotting him out at any chance they can for a "See! Football isn't dangerous and we take care of our players!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Crazy Ted posted:

Lowkey one of my favorite videos ever.

Every time I see this video I cry laughing so hard. I haven't seen it in years this was a great surprise.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

single-mode fiber posted:

I have this as well

You're the first person I've ever "met" who has it, although it sounds like yours is different. There's a "tilt table test" they (used to?) do but I get better lying down vs. standing up, not the opposite, so it's probably for finding your version vs. mine. Anyway one of the things you can do is clench your arms and legs, pull your fists in against your chest, just tighten up. Forces some blood back from the extremities to the core. It's stopped it once or twice for me. Another is just stay hydrated.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

FizFashizzle posted:

All that Buffalo style, nasty....depraved...public...table smashing...buffalo sauce covered...parking lot sex that takes them further from the grace of God.

Of all the times to kinkshame.
I'd imagine bringing a player back from the dead would be well received in any fine American city.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

While we're handing out kudos let's not forget the Bengals medical staff ran out onto the field immediately as well and were part of Hamlin's first response team.

As for his recovery, I think we still don't even know for sure why his heart stopped, the commotio cordis thing is a reasonable guess but it's still possible he has some kind of heart defect or who knows. At this point I'm delighted he's alive and conscious and responsive and talkative, it'd be nice if he can do whatever he wants when he's fully recovered but that'll be up to him and his doctors to figure out what the options even are.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
loving told yall he was going to be fine you couldn't ask for much better places to have a rare sudden deadly rhythm and cardiac arrest event than in front of several teams of trained EMTs and doctors and just a skip over to a level 1 trauma university hospital.

Still wanna see that cardiac mri tho

Leperflesh posted:

While we're handing out kudos let's not forget the Bengals medical staff ran out onto the field immediately as well and were part of Hamlin's first response team.

As for his recovery, I think we still don't even know for sure why his heart stopped, the commotio cordis thing is a reasonable guess but it's still possible he has some kind of heart defect or who knows. At this point I'm delighted he's alive and conscious and responsive and talkative, it'd be nice if he can do whatever he wants when he's fully recovered but that'll be up to him and his doctors to figure out what the options even are.

Considering his status as an athlete and cause celebre, I am almost certain he will get all the testing to look at his heart. We will find out if there was anything underlying (unless the deep state wants to cover a certain something up :tinfoil:)

Asproigerosis fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 6, 2023

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Lifespan posted:

Glad to hear the NFL themselves stepped in to assist with getting his foundation shored up. Hate em or hate em, they definitely have the people that know how to establish organizations. In return they will be trotting him out at any chance they can for a "See! Football isn't dangerous and we take care of our players!"

Yep, if we want to talk about the intersection of health & wealth, let's be sure to keep in mind exactly what Hamlin is going to be heavily pressured into representing going forward (for the benefit of team owners who make billions off the physical sacrifice of young men).

When we could, you know, have real talk about making sure something like Monday never happens and can never happen again, at all, ever, without question, and what it will cost the owners to ensure that.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Comfortador posted:

Every time I see this video I cry laughing so hard. I haven't seen it in years this was a great surprise.
Even if I try not to laugh, the "aaaaaaaaaaaand that's the wrong video" at the end will 100% break me every time.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

SpaceDrake posted:

When we could, you know, have real talk about making sure something like Monday never happens and can never happen again, at all, ever, without question, and what it will cost the owners to ensure that.

it's a good sentiment but i don't know what on earth could be done to prevent a total freak accident like this. everything went about as well as it could, considering

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

So glad to hear he's extubated and talking. That's unbelievable considering it was what, two days ago when people were asking "is flipping him over bad?"

Leperflesh posted:

You're the first person I've ever "met" who has it, although it sounds like yours is different. There's a "tilt table test" they (used to?) do but I get better lying down vs. standing up, not the opposite, so it's probably for finding your version vs. mine. Anyway one of the things you can do is clench your arms and legs, pull your fists in against your chest, just tighten up. Forces some blood back from the extremities to the core. It's stopped it once or twice for me. Another is just stay hydrated.

Really? I have it too but had to catch up on the thread. I can pass out if I get up too easily (happened more as a kid than now). That tilt-table thing is for real - the first time I gave blood it started happening. Thankfully I knew what was going on and was able to get a nurse's attention. He ran over and flipped the chair back so the blood rushed back to my head. Such a crazy feeling.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

If the Bills make the Super Bowl, I'll be super disappointed if they lose.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Asproigerosis posted:

loving told yall he was going to be fine you couldn't ask for much better places to have a rare sudden deadly rhythm and cardiac arrest event than in front of several teams of trained EMTs and doctors and just a skip over to a level 1 trauma university hospital.

Still wanna see that cardiac mri tho

Considering his status as an athlete and cause celebre, I am almost certain he will get all the testing to look at his heart. We will find out if there was anything underlying (unless the deep state wants to cover a certain something up :tinfoil:)

I was trying to find the article and I couldn't but the NFL does run everyone through full physicals and EKG stress tests every year apparently so it'd have to be something truly weird to not show up on that

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1611472805454925841

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

thank's schef

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

The negative chair angle was one that I didn't know about before, so I didn't know to warn someone. When it happened, the dentist claimed that my heart was stopped (I find this unlikely, I think it's more like I just had a weak pulse not easily detectable by hand), but, when I regained consciousness, I found that they had at least enough time to go get the defibrillator out of storage and have it almost ready to go. I'm lucky that so far all the instances I've had have been at a medical-adjacent place so 1) no one freaks out and 2) the threat of it happening only creeps out of my subconscious a few times a year. Even though I don't actually pass out every time, I have to very actively try to focus on something else entirely, so that it doesn't end up a self-fulfilling prophecy from being too anxious. It would be a real problem if I started having that "what if it's about to happen again" feeling in an everyday environment.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

SpaceDrake posted:

Short of wrapping the players in bubble wrap, how do you propose this happens

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I have a hard time imagining a way you could criticize the NFL's inability to prevent this specific thing from happening and be casually familiar with any contact sport, let alone professional football.

I mean, technically we don't even know for a fact that contact caused the issue in the first place. No one medically involved with the injury has determined a cause, at least not publicly.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Eifert Posting posted:

I have a hard time imagining a way you could criticize the NFL's inability to prevent this specific thing from happening and be casually familiar with any contact sport, let alone professional football.

I mean, technically we don't even know for a fact that contact caused the issue in the first place. No one medically involved with the injury has determined a cause, at least not publicly.

Exactly.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

SpaceDrake posted:

Ban contact sports, Baseball, Cricket and probably soccer and volleyball as well.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

SpaceDrake posted:

Yep, if we want to talk about the intersection of health & wealth, let's be sure to keep in mind exactly what Hamlin is going to be heavily pressured into representing going forward (for the benefit of team owners who make billions off the physical sacrifice of young men).

I had an amazing seat for the game, and was perfectly placed to see the hit made on Damar Hamlin. This is a kid who has been every bit the upstanding citizen, and buys toys in Pittsburgh with his wealth. What I realized when I was asked to watch a player lower his eyes to the grass and drive the crown of his helmet through Damar's heart over and over is that the NFL doesn't care at all about these people. I guess I always knew that but it really drove the point home.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Oh really? I have not watched the play because I don't like to look at such things, but I had just kinda assumed that contact to his chest was evident. Is that not the case?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
There was some shoulder contact, but it really was not a notable hit.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

mdemone posted:

Oh really? I have not watched the play because I don't like to look at such things, but I had just kinda assumed that contact to his chest was evident. Is that not the case?

Yeah he got hit in the chest. It's a play you've seen a thousand times without consequence. For whatever reason it went very wrong this time.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Oh drat, and here I thought he was gonna suit up and play on Sunday.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Okay just watched the video and wow, that is very weird if it's commotio cordis. I mean Higgins really didn't hit him all that hard, and most of the force gets delivered by the helmet to Hamlin's upper right chest, not the shoulder pad into his heart area.

loving surpassingly weird.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
The video is really not crazy all. Pretty standard tackle, nothing special, then they get right up to head in to the next play and Hamlin just goes limp.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I went back and read up what happened to Chuck Hughes in 1971.

Hughes had gone in as an injury replacement. He took a big hit on a reception, oddly the first catch of the season for him, but appeared perfectly fine. The next 2 or 3 plays didn't go to Hughes. Coming back to line up again, Hughes just dropped. None of his Detroit teammates immediately noticed, but instead it was Dick Butkus who started screaming for help.

Two doctors and an assistant trainer were immediatley to Hughes after that, being part of the Lions' medical staff (Hughes collapsed at Tiger Stadium). They thought they briefly got his heart going again the field, but couldn't maintain it.

The official cause, released a few days later, was that a blood clot had broken off and that he did have hardening of the arteries. This being 1971, who knows if they'd come to the exact same conclusions now.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The official cause, released a few days later, was that a blood clot had broken off and that he did have hardening of the arteries. This being 1971, who knows if they'd come to the exact same conclusions now.

He’d also had some kind of abdominal injury they couldn’t figure out and played through it for two months before he died on the field. He had a family history of heart disease and the autopsy showed that wasn’t his only heart attack, too. That’s not the usual undiagnosed athlete heart condition and according to the head of sports medicine at the Cleveland Clinic it’s exceedingly rare in a 28-year-old. He says they definitely don’t test for coronary artery disease in a healthy athlete in his 20s as part of their battery so even today it might not be found. 50 years ago it would have been nearly impossible without an autopsy.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 6, 2023

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

D. Hamlin - Doubtful - Death

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

JesustheDarkLord posted:

There was some shoulder contact, but it really was not a notable hit.

It was about as run of the mill as it gets. Safety goes to wrap up and tackle, offensive players lowers shoulder and leans in a bit to deliver his own shot. Just pure standard football stuff. If Hamlin hadn't collapsed on the field right after getting back up and taking a step, no one would ever have given it much thought afterwards. It looked as bog standard as it gets in terms of the hit.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Patrick Spens posted:

Ban contact sports, Baseball, Cricket and probably soccer and volleyball as well.

You'd have to ban every ball sport where the ball travels into the general vicinity of a person like tennis, racquetball, squash, etc too.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Oh word?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Oh drat, and here I thought he was gonna suit up and play on Sunday.

If you needed a sternum to play football Herbie would be on IR. Rub some dirt on it kid.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

pseudodragon posted:

You'd have to ban every ball sport where the ball travels into the general vicinity of a person like tennis, racquetball, squash, etc too.

You will not take Jai Alai away from me! (you should probably take that one first just in case)

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

TheKevman posted:

Short of wrapping the players in bubble wrap, how do you propose this happens

I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work either

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

You will not take Jai Alai away from me! (you should probably take that one first just in case)

Mad Men completely ruined jai alai in my mind.

I can't even hear the word without thinking about that little weirdo raving about his jai alai player crush

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sash! posted:

Mad Men completely ruined jai alai in my mind.

I can't even hear the word without thinking about that little weirdo raving about his jai alai player crush

All I can think of is Archer.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

adaz posted:

I was trying to find the article and I couldn't but the NFL does run everyone through full physicals and EKG stress tests every year apparently so it'd have to be something truly weird to not show up on that

Could have been something that developed after this annual test. Also while my interaction with stress testing is pretty narrow, and it doesn't exactly have great sensitivity. I've performed my share of treadmill stress tests and they are a loving nightmare to try and get blood pressure readings or legible ekg tracing on. Looking at these examples online of all these perfect pristine ekgs from supposed treadmill stress tests and I'm cackling in anger.

Anyway there's a lot you can miss with a basic physical and stress test but you really go into the weeds on how much is too much and risk probability if you start considering more advanced mandatory annual assessments like echo or cardiac mri. Granted the NFL easily has the money to do this as insurance on their investments, but is player health really cost beneficial?

Health care is very tricky, especially with diagnostication.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dango Bango posted:

So glad to hear he's extubated and talking. That's unbelievable considering it was what, two days ago when people were asking "is flipping him over bad?"

Really? I have it too but had to catch up on the thread. I can pass out if I get up too easily (happened more as a kid than now). That tilt-table thing is for real - the first time I gave blood it started happening. Thankfully I knew what was going on and was able to get a nurse's attention. He ran over and flipped the chair back so the blood rushed back to my head. Such a crazy feeling.

My older brother has it too! And I have benign paroxysmal positional vertigo which, while I'm not sure whether it's connected or not, has some slight similarities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

pseudodragon posted:

You'd have to look at the rate of player deaths, and life-changing injuries, for each sport to determine where to draw the line. Football and association football have much higher rates of CTE than other sports. There have been proposals to ban headers in soccer to reduce the rate of brain damage. Baseball banned slide tackles a few years ago because of the injuries to Buster Posey and Ruben Tejada. But with football, tackles are a much more fundamental part of the sport so it would take greater changes to prevent injuries. I think CTE is still the greatest health concern for football so any injury reduction efforts should be focused primarily on that, with preventing commotio cordis as a secondary priority.