Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Honestly, letting the hostage takers skip the line and become chairperson seems like the most likely thing to cause these rules to fail. All the concessions that bite the loyal members just seem to increase the comedy situation where McCarthy wins the vote and then we're back to a deadlock on passing the rules.

At least Keven's new mandated collar and chain in place of a neck tie will look snazzy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So, what stops a random dem Congressperson to say "Okay Kevin, you're elected now. Let's have a do over?"

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

coelomate posted:

Could be a fun head fake in the prisoner's dilemna, could be true, I will have fun :munch: either way

I do hope that Rosendale and Crane are on the phone making sure that all of their family members are where they're supposed to be right now.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

cant cook creole bream posted:

So, what stops a random dem Congressperson to say "Okay Kevin, you're elected now. Let's have a do over?"

Only members of the majority can yell at their dog.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

cant cook creole bream posted:

If they allow all members to do it in the rules, then nothing, But, assuming the Republicans are still holding on to the deal, then they will just quickly vote it down.

They might just limit it to caucus members.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- HFC gets to pick members of the rules committee.

Amazing. That's basically the ballgame right there.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
In fairness, the more entertaining read of that demand is that they just all want their own physical gavels they can bang on the back of the bench in front of them whenever they’re angry/bored.

And that would be entirely in line with their character.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

According to CNN:

- Some people flipped because they were tired of voting and wanted to go home for the weekend (lmao).

The rest flipped because of a new set of promises that includes (but is not limited to and includes some other unannounced promises):

- Giving specific people gavels.
- Funding an anti-January 6th Committee Committee with several million dollars.
- Promising to freeze all spending in every budget up through 2024.
- HFC gets to pick members of the rules committee.
- Rule to force a vote to depose the Speaker with the request of a single congressperson.
- The House Majority PAC will coordinate with private Super PACs from Club For Growth and not spend money supporting different candidates in primaries for safe seats.
- Vote for a constitutional amendment on term limits.
- Vote on a bill to fund the border wall and require more aggressive internal enforcement of immigration law/deportations (i.e. not at the border).
- Promise to not vote to raise the debt limit without spending cuts.
- Promise to lay out a balanced budget with specific cuts to SS, Medicare, and Medicaid and hold a vote on it.
- Promise to vote to remove Omar and Swalwell from committees and reinstate MTG.

Basically, a bunch of embarrassing votes that are doomed to fail, permission to gamble with destroying the economy, McCarthy has to embarrass himself, and McCarthy will always be 1-2 votes away from being deposed at all times.

lol, what did Swalwell do to piss them off that much?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

PostNouveau posted:

Had sex with a woman who turned out to be a Chinese spy.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Gyges posted:

Honestly, letting the hostage takers skip the line and become chairperson seems like the most likely thing to cause these rules to fail. All the concessions that bite the loyal members just seem to increase the comedy situation where McCarthy wins the vote and then we're back to a deadlock on passing the rules.

If I were the Democratic leadership I'd be using long-termers who have build up something faintly resembling professional camaraderie to spread dissent across the aisle. "Gee, it seems so unfair that you've put in the time and paid your dues and these assholes get to jump ahead just because the throw a temper tantrum. I don't know how you stand it. Here, have another beer on me. I feel for ya, I really do."

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Re-reading all of those demands, it all seems incredibly pointless when they only have a slim majority in the house. Except for the parts where they’re going to make the House a circus.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

:lmao: Seriously? He did?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Which brings us back to that bit two pages ago where 'moderate' Rs might help vote down the ultra-revised Rules package.

Some of their demands probably could get the grudging go-along of the entire House. Most would be likely to fail in any case. But "let's let the kooks jump all the turnstiles and get ahead of us" is NOT going to sit well amongst many of the rank-and-file.

Which means that the kooks can yell "WE DIDN'T GET WHAT WE WERE PROMISED!", even if many of them were "we will vote on X" rather than "we will vote on X and it will PASS," and things will get nicely funky once again.

PostNouveau posted:

Yep. And was cleared of any potential wrongdoing, but that's why every time Swalwell opens his mouth, Twitter lights up with thousands of idiots yelling "bang bang Fang Fang."

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

HPanda posted:

In fairness, the more entertaining read of that demand is that they just all want their own physical gavels they can bang on the back of the bench in front of them whenever they’re angry/bored.

And that would be entirely in line with their character.

Having one of the million lawyers on Kevin's side craft the rules such that they look to be caving but actually only do stuff like this would be the most amazing outcome to this poo poo show.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

Short answer? Be effective. Long answer? "Gave information to a chinese spy" except for the part where That isn't true

quote:

In December 2020, Swalwell was named in a press report about suspected Chinese spy Fang Fang or Christine Fang,[61][62][63] who had since at least 2012 been cultivating contacts with California politicians who the Chinese government believed had promising futures in politics.[64][65] Axios reported that Fang participated in fundraising for Swalwell's 2014 congressional election bid, met Swalwell at events, and helped place an intern inside his congressional office. Swalwell ended ties with Fang in 2015 after U.S. intelligence briefed him and top members of Congress on concerns that Chinese agents were attempting to infiltrate Congress. Officials believe Fang did not obtain classified information from her contacts, and Swalwell was not accused of any impropriety.

So basically trying to do to him (falsely) what he (legitimately) did to Devin Nunes when he entered into the congressional record the fact that Nunes was in contact with Lev Parnas (this was during the first Impeachment hearing)

I didn't know that Eric Swalwell was a midwestern mayor

quote:

Through campaign fundraising, extensive networking, personal charisma, and romantic or sexual relationships with at least two Midwestern mayors, Fang was able to gain proximity to political power, according to current and former U.S. intelligence officials and one former elected official.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 6, 2023

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

PostNouveau posted:

Let he who has not been catfished by an agent of a foreign power cast the first stone

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah.

She targeted a bunch of California and Midwest politicians and volunteered/befriended/donated to them.

Swalwell allegedly had a "brief romantic encounter" with her, but he won't personally confirm or deny if he had sex with her.

quote:

Democratic congressman says he did not share sensitive information with suspected Chinese spy

Rep. Eric Swalwell told CNN Wednesday that he was “shocked” when the FBI informed him several years ago that he was targeted by a suspected Chinese intelligence operative as part of a broader effort to establish ties with US politicians, reiterating that he immediately cooperated with federal investigators who were looking into the individual in question.

Swalwell was named in an Axios report detailing what US officials believed to be a political intelligence operation run by China’s main civilian spy agency between 2011 and 2015.

quote:

Swalwell, in an interview with Politico, also sidestepped the question about how intimate he was with Fang, who intelligence officials said had sex with at least two Midwestern mayors as she tried to get information from them.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 6, 2023

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
EDIT: removed since the post was amended. I still maintain that any attempt by the GOP to remove Swalwell from committee assignments is nothing more than their usual petty, childish revenge fantasies rather than for any legitimate reason.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 6, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

PostNouveau posted:

I'd ask why Omar and none of the other progs but i think in my heart I know the answer

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I'd ask why Omar and none of the other progs but i think in my heart I know the answer

Yeah, unfortunately I do not need that one explained at all.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
loving all the mayors in Ohio in an attempt to get in early on the next Buttigieg.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

- Promise to lay out a balanced budget with specific cuts to SS, Medicare, and Medicaid and hold a vote on it.

freedom caucus unveiling its plan to give democrats the senate in 2024

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

James Garfield posted:

freedom caucus unveiling its plan to give democrats the senate in 2024

Yeah, that seems like it has the potential to backfire spectacularly.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I mean, I totally would be swigging from a flask at this point if I was a congressman right now. Maybe even just drinking straight from a fifth of bourbon with my feet propped up on the desk.

There are no rules at the moment, meaning nobody can stop you.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Informed speculation:

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1611465200590266387

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1611466089405505536

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Kevin will get to be called speaker and that’s what’s important

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Reeker - it rhymes with "Speaker"

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

i am a moron posted:

They are inventing new and exciting ways to embarrass themselves ahead of getting the poo poo slapped out of the GOP in another GE. Good job Kev dawg

Yeah, cutting SS/Medicare etc. is a good way to get the AARP to utterly destroy you.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Only 4 days to see who gets to hold the keys. Next up, what to have for dinner. 2 weeks of voting.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/Moxie_Manda/status/1611154583811670016?s=20&t=_0DgP1UrPc90DNJt1z1HaQ

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Nodding out with The Needle still in your arm, in public

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Moktaro posted:

Yeah, cutting SS/Medicare etc. is a good way to get the AARP to utterly destroy you.

You can do it, like they've been continually raising the age SS kicks in. You just need to hem and haw about how terrible it is, and you don't want to but the numbers are making you do it. However, fighting to make it a House Rule that you must cut "entitlements" is just dumb as all gently caress. Especially since it seems to be specifically labeling cutting SS/Medicare/Medicaid instead of calling for "reasonable spending limits" that just happen to include gutting what remains of our safety net.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
The House GOP is going to sink their entire party for 2024. There is no way that this clown show isn’t going to become an embarrassment on the entire party for the next two years that the general public isn’t going to be able to ignore.

I say we start taking bets now on how many government shutdowns we are going to have.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/Olivia_Beavers/status/1611487936180113417
https://twitter.com/MZanona/status/1611489249270038528

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Djarum posted:

The House GOP is going to sink their entire party for 2024. There is no way that this clown show isn’t going to become an embarrassment on the entire party for the next two years that the general public isn’t going to be able to ignore.

I say we start taking bets now on how many government shutdowns we are going to have.

I agree

My bet is one shutdown

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/MZanona/status/1611492809776807942
https://twitter.com/MZanona/status/1611494657225007105

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Just :lol: if McCarthy's last ditch effort to win the vote this week was telling everyone he had the votes and then just hoping Crane and Rosendale would just fold because they believed the other guy did.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Since when do they have a stiffy for term limits?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

Since when do they have a stiffy for term limits?

At least 1994?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
My (Democratic) state assembly member asked in a survey about term limits. Seems to come up every once in a while everywhere.