Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

therobit posted:

Get your “friend” this to help with his frequent “testing.”
https://duckduckgo.com/y.js?ad_doma...DDevEx%2C5073.1

Thank you I will make sure he sees this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I just wanted to say that on Alone, someone stabbed a musk ox to death with a knife while wearing a go pro making it basically the best show ever. And of all the reality shows it, while obviously edited, is the least fake as far as I'm aware.

The answer to your question is probably that they sign all sorts of liability waivers. Things like "This activity will cause your death or permanent disfigurement. You understand that this activity will cause your death or permanent disfigurement, you understand the word death, and you understand the words permanent disfigurement. You agree not to sue anyone in the event of your death or permanent disfigurement." Things like that.

As to the footage the participants have no personal ownership rights to any of it, must likely. The footage would go to the producers, who probably have a contract with Netflix or Discovery or whichever parent company owns the broadcast. The parent companies might vault it, and maybe turn copies over to the Mounties, or might broadcast it onto the moon like a bat signal. The participants have zero say in that most likely.

The FTC probably had rules about broadcasting actual death, maybe, but in the end the whole show is owned by the parent company.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 5, 2023

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

I don't think there's anything particularly unique about the situation; being an actor on a reality wilderness survival show is a dangerous job, but so are jobs like being a crab fisherman. If an actor or their family was suing and it went to trial, they'd be arguing to a jury about workplace safety and whether the production company was negligent, just like a fisherman who was maimed working on a boat.

Safety stuff also isn't generally waivable. Like if you're a construction worker, a waiver that says "If you get hurt on the job for any reason, you agree not to sue the company" isn't valid.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

BigHead posted:

I just wanted to say that on Alone, someone stabbed a musk ox to death with a knife while wearing a go pro making it basically the best show ever. And of all the reality shows it, while obviously edited, is the least fake as far as I'm aware.

The answer to your question is probably that they sign all sorts of liability waivers. Things like "This activity will cause your death or permanent disfigurement. You understand that this activity will cause your death or permanent disfigurement, you understand the word death, and you understand the words permanent disfigurement. You agree not to sue anyone in the event of your death or permanent disfigurement." Things like that.

As to the footage the participants have no personal ownership rights to any of it, must likely. The footage would go to the producers, who probably have a contract with Netflix or Discovery or whichever parent company owns the broadcast. The parent companies might vault it, and maybe turn copies over to the Mounties, or might broadcast it onto the moon like a bat signal. The participants have zero say in that most likely.

The FTC probably had rules about broadcasting actual death, maybe, but in the end the whole show is owned by the parent company.

Yeah hacking away at an animal instead of cleanly and quickly killing it is sooo cool, even cooler when it's in service of a loving TV show.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jan 5, 2023

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Foxfire_ posted:

I don't think there's anything particularly unique about the situation; being an actor on a reality wilderness survival show is a dangerous job, but so are jobs like being a crab fisherman. If an actor or their family was suing and it went to trial, they'd be arguing to a jury about workplace safety and whether the production company was negligent, just like a fisherman who was maimed working on a boat.

Safety stuff also isn't generally waivable. Like if you're a construction worker, a waiver that says "If you get hurt on the job for any reason, you agree not to sue the company" isn't valid.

Depends on the state but generally if you are an employee and injured on the job it doesn’t matter who is at fault, you get workers comp from your employer. If someone outside your employer was at fault for hurting you (ie not your co-employees or boss, etc) then you may have a right to sue them separately, and the employer (or its comp insurer) have a legal right to recover what they’ve paid you from that person. The trade-off for this “no fault” scheme is that an employee only gets comp, which is limited to medical bills and lost wages—they can’t sue their employer (or co-employees) at law for pain and suffering damages.

Regular TV show actors in the US are usually SAG-AFTRA and get all the bargained for benefits. I’m pretty sure reality TV actors are not SAG-AFTRA, or if they are, the productions don’t give a gently caress and make them sign independent contractor agreements rather than employment contracts. What law will apply to this is a complex question, especially if these shows are produced in other countries.

You’re right that lots of states limit or do not allow parties to contract out of their own negligence. For employees, it doesn’t matter—they get comp, period. But for independent contractors it’s a different story and highly state- and fact-specific.

So it’s possible they actually treat these actors as employees, in a no-fault comp scheme. But I would guess production for this type of reality show makes every legal effort to have these people treated as independent contractors, and makes them sign very detailed and lengthy informed and consent and release agreements so they can’t later claim to have been misled about what this show is all about and the potential dangers. Then, if there’s an injury, production would argue to a judge or jury that the independent contractor actor assumed the open and obvious risk of this show, had exclusive control over their own actions and chose the means and methods by which they performed under the contract, and were negligent themself in how they undertook to perform—in other words, the production can’t be at fault because other than telling them where the show would be and collecting the film, the production had no role in creating the circumstances of the actual incident that caused the injury.

I would also assume like someone else said that they take reasonable efforts to make sure injuries can be treated quickly, so nobody can say they were negligent in that. But some jobs are just dangerous, and these productions (and their lawyers) have been doing this for a long time now. They’ve figured out how to protect themselves.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Foxfire_ posted:

Would they be treated more akin to employees, or would they be treated more akin to athletes participating in dangerous sports? My vague memory from having a case 15 years ago involving a rock climbing accident, there's a whole doctrine for people who assume risk (called "assumption of risk"). In my post I assumed the participants assumed the risks of starvation or hunting accident or any other naturally occurring danger. Interesting question!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I can imagine areas where despite all the disclaimers, the production company could be negligent. Like, maybe if they told someone they had to haul around a bunch of heavy camera equipment, but provided no safe equipment for carrying a really heavy battery safely and someone hurt their back? Or if they insisted someone had to drop into a site from a helicopter and then put a drunk pilot into that helicopter and then they get slammed into a cliff during the drop because the pilot was drunk.

But I think that's the sort of negligence that could apply to any workplace situation really and isn't particular to this being a reality survival tv show.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Understood from our discussion earlier that the mechanics of games are not protectable. Recently wizard of the coast has decided to update their open game license. One of the things that is licensed there is The game's mechanics and that has been used to develop various other RPG systems based off of old versions of D& D.

So if a company made a game based on Old D&D editions can wizards update this license to require that company to pay money? are the games mechanics even protectable or is using the OGL just a way to save legal fees from a fight the company would win anyway?

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016
I have a hypothetical question regarding pictures containing illegal drugs

Lets say and ex girlfriend is blackmailing a man and says she has photos of mushrooms in his apartment, which may be identifiable by the furniture, but neither his face nor any other identifying items are in the photo. She says she may have text messages where he describes growing or using mushrooms.

In this hypothetical, there is no other physical evidence that this happened. Does this blackmail have teeth with no physical evidence for the police to find, or would the "evidence" be inadequate or thrown out? Does he need to be worried?

cardiacarrest123 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 6, 2023

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I don't think the police can would arrest him on the basis of a photograph of drugs. They might pop in though. The blackmail should be documented and the blackmailer told to gently caress off

E: what are her demands

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 6, 2023

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016
lets say for the sake of argument, social demands but no monetary demands. But still threatening to send to place of employment, police

Also can someone help me understand how blackmail is dealt with in a more comprehensive way. If the person being blackmailed in this scenario documents the blackmail, who do they bring it to? The police? An attorney? Isn't getting law enforcement involved requiring the person to admit they did something illegal? Or if not, at least inviting a lot of unwanted scrutiny ?

cardiacarrest123 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 6, 2023

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

BigHead posted:

I don't think the producers show footage of actual death unless it would be inconvenient to avoid, e.g. Ben Hur & The Crow.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

sullat posted:

I don't think the producers show footage of actual death unless it would be inconvenient to avoid, e.g. Ben Hur & The Crow.

With regards to The Crow, none of the footage from Brandon Lee's fatal wounding is in the film; it was swapped out with an entirely new scene, filmed after his death.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, which is entirely possible.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

cardiacarrest123 posted:

lets say for the sake of argument, social demands but no monetary demands. But still threatening to send to place of employment, police

Also can someone help me understand how blackmail is dealt with in a more comprehensive way. If the person being blackmailed in this scenario documents the blackmail, who do they bring it to? The police? An attorney? Isn't getting law enforcement involved requiring the person to admit they did something illegal? Or if not, at least inviting a lot of unwanted scrutiny ?

Your hypothetical friend needs a lawyer; depending on jurisdiction and what the blackmailer is asking for and why, she may or may not actually be doing anything illegal. (For example, the law over here requires that blackmail involve an "unwarranted demand", and as you can imagine whether the demand is "unwarranted" is going to be specific to the facts of the case.) A lawyer can tell your hypothetical friend whether there's anything he can do about the blackmail and what risk he'd be exposing himself to by doing so.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 6, 2023

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016

Thuryl posted:

Your hypothetical friend needs a lawyer; depending on jurisdiction and what the blackmailer is asking for and why, she may or may not actually be doing anything illegal. (For example, the law over here requires that blackmail involve an "unwarranted demand", and as you can imagine whether the demand is "unwarranted" is going to be specific to the facts of the case.) A lawyer can tell your hypothetical friend whether there's anything he can do about the blackmail and what risk he'd be exposing himself to by doing so.

ok thanks. Even if there's no case for blackmail, do you think the person in the hypothetical has to worry about being convicted of a drug crime?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

cardiacarrest123 posted:

ok thanks. Even if there's no case for blackmail, do you think the person in the hypothetical has to worry about being convicted of a drug crime?

That also sounds like something to talk to a lawyer about. Is your hypothetical friend really, really, really sure that a search of his property wouldn't turn up any physical evidence whatsoever, including items that might be classified as drug paraphernalia? Does your hypothetical friend know what items are legally classified as drug paraphernalia in his jurisdiction, or is that something he might want to hear from a lawyer?

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 6, 2023

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016
in this hypothetical there's nothing left on the premises that could be considered paraphernalia. No other drugs have ever passed through the apartment. what if the coffee grinder was used to grind them but has since been cleaned. What about a food dehydrator that has since been cleaned. That's all that comes to mind

and its the united states

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

If you're looking for 100% reassurance of "no, the cops definitely won't search your friend's place and definitely won't find anything if they do", you're unfortunately out of luck; that's not something that anybody can guarantee over the internet. Also, if she's threatening to tell his employer, the employer can pretty much do whatever the hell they want with that information; they don't generally need ironclad proof if they want to fire him over this.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Harold Fjord posted:

Understood from our discussion earlier that the mechanics of games are not protectable. Recently wizard of the coast has decided to update their open game license. One of the things that is licensed there is The game's mechanics and that has been used to develop various other RPG systems based off of old versions of D& D.

So if a company made a game based on Old D&D editions can wizards update this license to require that company to pay money? are the games mechanics even protectable or is using the OGL just a way to save legal fees from a fight the company would win anyway?

I suspect Cory Doctorow will write up something informative about this fairly soon.

The root issue is that "D&D" includes a lot of stuff that has percolated out into gaming generally through the OGL, like Beholders and Drow and so forth, which is protected by copyright but useable under the license.

Trying to revoke that license is pretty sketchy legally but very few players are going to be able to legally contest it due to potential legal costs and most of those who could have financial incentives not to (critical role, paizo).

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016
not looking for 100% reassurance just trying to figure out the risks. so thank you.

I'm primarily interested in what the outcome of a police investigation is LIKELY to be, provided no contemporary physical or toxicologic evidence is found.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Harold Fjord posted:

I don't think the police can would arrest him on the basis of a photograph of drugs.

depends, is this guy black? does he have a record before now? Is the amount in the photographs large enough that it looks like dealing?

My first thought is "this lady taking the pictures is admitting she has drugs, good for her" but

Talk to a lawyer.

cardiacarrest123 posted:

not looking for 100% reassurance just trying to figure out the risks. so thank you.

I'm primarily interested in what the outcome of a police investigation is LIKELY to be, provided no contemporary physical or toxicologic evidence is found.

In my state, lab analysis of any reputed drugs is generally required for a conviction; they have to have the alleged substance in hand and send it to a lab and have it tested. Too many other things look like drugs for anything other than an actual chemist in an actual lab to be credible in court. That's just my state though, your state may have different laws, talk to a lawyer.

That doesn't mean the charge doesn't ruin your life in the meanwhile though, or that the cops don't "find" something when they search, etc. The legal system is a randomly swinging wrecking ball and it doesn't care whose lives get smashed in the spinning.

Also I've had a lot of clients who thought they didn't have any drugs in their car/house/apartment but whoops. Often a negligible trace amount can be sufficient woops to ruin your whole year. Cops have test strips that they run across scales, bowls, etc. and then say "oh, it reacted, this bowl must once have been full of cocaine" and then you have a real problem. Maybe not a conviction but that's small consolation while you're in a cell because you can't make bond.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 6, 2023

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Cops have test strips that they run across scales, bowls, etc. and then say "oh, it reacted, this bowl must once have been full of cocaine" and then you have a real problem. Maybe not a conviction but that's small consolation while you're in a cell because you can't make bond.

Those test kits also can have an amazingly high percentage of false positives and still be in use by the police because that is considered a feature not a problem.

https://www.propublica.org/article/since-we-reported-on-flawed-roadside-drug-tests-five-more-convictions-have-been-overturned

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Either way, after talking to a lawyer to get the above questions answered: don't let cops in without a warrant, don't talk to cops beyond "here's my attorney's business card, I decline to speak without his advice".

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

And don’t ask for a lawyer dog.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

I suspect Cory Doctorow will write up something informative about this fairly soon.

The root issue is that "D&D" includes a lot of stuff that has percolated out into gaming generally through the OGL, like Beholders and Drow and so forth, which is protected by copyright but useable under the license.

Trying to revoke that license is pretty sketchy legally but very few players are going to be able to legally contest it due to potential legal costs and most of those who could have financial incentives not to (critical role, paizo).
I don't understand your last sentence - wouldn't paizo/critical role/etc. be the most affected if the license gets revoked, and so have a huge incentive to contest it?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Harold Fjord posted:

I believe people who already made stuff under the license can keep using it indefinitely?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Wow. I had no idea so many people were panicking about the D&D license thing. Apparently, people are bombarding LegalEagle's channel asking him to cover it as well. The dang license hasn't even been released yet. This is all over a "leak" of unknown origin that no one has confirmed is real yet.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Depends heavily on what the original license grant says regarding term, termination, etc. could be trivial, could be impossible.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

OGL version 1.0a - not sure what 1.0 is, if it's different or not. The leak is about the purported upcoming 1.1 versoin.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Trapick posted:

OGL version 1.0a - not sure what 1.0 is, if it's different or not. The leak is about the purported upcoming 1.1 versoin.

4. Grant and Consideration: In consideration for agreeing to use this License, the Contributors grant You a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license with the exact terms of this License to Use, the Open Game Content.

9. Updating the License: Wizards or its designated Agents may publish updated versions of this License. You may use any authorized version of this License to copy, modify and distribute any Open Game Content originally distributed under any version of this License.

13. Termination: This License will terminate automatically if You fail to comply with all terms herein and fail to cure such breach within 30 days of becoming aware of the breach. All sublicenses shall survive the termination of this License.

So the license granted under the previous version is perpetual, explicitly says that you’re allowed to use any version of the license if you’ve already distributed your content under the older license, and termination is only for breach. I don’t see how they can force existing creators to update to the new license for existing content. But if someone wants to make new content, perhaps including new seasons or expansions to their existing content, that could be required to be under the new license.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

They intend to, apparently, "de-authorize" 1.0a and earlier. Nobody seems to be able to say exactly what that means with certainty, but the idea is that with the next version of the license, new D&D stuff won't be under the old, no-longer-authorized license, so creators will have to work under the new license only. Wizards has announced that the new OGL will have some reporting requirements, will require companies making more than $750k/yr selling licensed products to pay a 20% of revenues royalty, and removes authorization for publishing under VTTs from the license.

A lot of people also believe that de-authorization means they won't be able to continue publishing old stuff; or, maybe, new stuff for older editions of d&d; or, and this is the real stretch, maybe they'll somehow have to go claw back stuff they already sold. There's a lot of panic and fear and anger.

Everything is speculative until we actually see the published new license, and even then, various "qualified" commentators have made inconsistent claims about what exactly "authorized" means in that #9 clause you posted.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Sounds like some IP lawyers will have job security for a while at least.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Trapick posted:

Sounds like some IP lawyers will have job security for a while at least.

Depends which version of my client license they're intending to operate under, I've de-authorized the one where I pay money

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

And don’t ask for a lawyer dog.

There's nothing in the rules that says a dog can't be a lawyer.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
One of the things I've heard about reality shows is that it's not uncommon for people to drop out shortly before the start of filming and the production company just hires some local actors.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
For the reality shows that don't involve actual dangerous solitary living in the wilderness of British Columbia, yes, this is absolutely true. There exists rather large pools of beautiful people who sign up to appear in reality tv shows, any reality tv show. That's why you'll frequently see players who have no idea what show they are on, and may have no idea how it is played even if the show is relatively popular. The majority of these people are young men and women who tried to become actors, failed, but are still hot enough to look good on TV so they run the reality tv track a few times hoping to pivot into steady work. Casting crews just review profiles from these agencies to pick their contestants, sometimes landing on picks days or even hours before filming.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jan 9, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah any game show where they ask 'what's your job' has it clarified to contestants behind ghe scenes that they're asking 'what's your day job', since the people lining up for price is right are mostly aspiring actors who want to get on tv in any way possible.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also most people with real jobs can’t miss two months of them.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I've had this wonderful thing happen. I bought something for one price from a seller in an online marketplace. The seller contacts me and says they have no stock and I need to pay a higher price, to them, for the item. I tell them no I want it for the price I originally paid or for them to cancel the order. They refuse to talk to me and switch it to shipped. The tracking number they have to provide only shows they printed a label and its now well after the should be received by date. Is this wire fraud or mail fraud? The online marketplace doesn't want to help and the merchant is non-responsive. I'm going to issue a charge back because I haven't received the item and they haven't shipped it but if there's more to do I'm going to do it because gently caress that marketplace and the seller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

I mean, are you asking, academically, if charging you price A and then refusing to ship unless you pay price B is wire fraud?

edit: The reason I ask, is because I assume it is incredibly time intensive, expensive, and tedious to sue someone for wire fraud over someone being an enormous pain in the rear end over an online purchase, especially when you have already done a chargeback and have no real damages to speak of. What relief would you be seeking, in this theoretical lawsuit?

null_pointer fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 9, 2023