Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
I'll add a minor caveat: with WoC this can be harder to do. Often your own vassals will refuse to accept regions for free. As my co-op partner explains, the AI really value income as far as they think about the value of a region and as WoC, in the vast majority of cases, you can't build any income producing buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, my festus campaign was entirely bankrolled by my starting province + sacking then selling territory back to the people i've just subjugated. Wasn't uncommon for me to get 25k+ for large cities. Altdorf got me 8k for the battle, 13k for the sack and then another 6k when i sold it back to chaos karl

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Bout to start an Eltharion game even though I mostly hate helfs (Imrik was kinda neat tho), I never played him in 2. Anything I should know before I commit to holding both of his start positions? Did Immortal Empires gently caress his campaign mechanics up at all?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
No real advice but Eltharion is really fun, it's probably one of my favorite campaigns. You get to fight a lot of interesting enemies early on, and he has access to neat units that other HELF lords don't, like knights mounted on griffons and hybrid bow/melee units that are more OP than regular seaguard. If you decide you're going to abandon one place, I prefer abandoning the donut to be honest. I find the enemies in the Badlands to be more interesting than elf civil war.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm liking my Azshag campaign, I befriended Skrag early on in the campaign so it's been The Two Slaughterer's Slaughterin'.

Being able to sack a fancy big city for between 40-60k is a nice bit of walking around money to fund even more armies to go out and sack and makes for a very violate economy, one turn I was worried I was going to go bankrupt before I could get my armies to new targets in time with -25k per turn and 40k in the bank supporting 14 armies, less then 10 turns later and I'm sitting on 350k in the bank and supporting 22 armies for the coming crisis at only turn 80.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 6, 2023

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Grombrindal seems pissed at me, let's find out why

oh ya that makes sense

Crone has had my back and I've joined a few wars to keep her happy. I'm now planning to finish off Taurox, Cylostra and Alith Anar

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I keep trying to unlock Boris, but I get sooooo bored with the Kislev campaigns. Can I just do his quest battle from the main menu and unlock him?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

I keep trying to unlock Boris, but I get sooooo bored with the Kislev campaigns. Can I just do his quest battle from the main menu and unlock him?

No, but there are mods that help with unlocking him.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

You also have to unlock him through the Kislev realms of chaos campaign. I played 80 turns of one to get his quest battle before realizing I had expanded in the wrong direction. I just downloaded the mod that unlocks him and called it a day.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So I have a good Kroq-Gar campaign going and just finished wiping Kairos off the map for Oxyotl, but instead of thanking me for killing his hated enemy he declared war on me and has besieged one of the territories I took from the Tzeentchian weirdos. I kinda don't want these territories anyway because the climate doesn't agree with my faction and wouldn't mind giving them away; can I just donate Antarctica to Oxyotl to get him to screw off or do I have to wait until he finishes sieging my port?

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
Oxy always gets mad at me for wiping Kairos too. Like, bro, I don’t even want this frozen wasteland I just want Kairos to stop loving halting me and swapping my cities. I usually just end up killing them both and abandoning Antarctica so it is a lifeless ruin because gently caress developing red climate provinces.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Okay what the gently caress Eltharion owns

why am I enjoying an non-imrik elf this feels like a betrayal of myself

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 7, 2023

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Love Eltharion, running around killing orks and sending Beastmen lords to the elf gulag is very fun

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Drycha quest battle owns

Love to be the angry tree that frees the even bigger angry tree

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I found the key to getting on Oxy’s good side was joining his war with Kairos through diplomacy. You get a big boost doing that and then you sell back any conquered land at a discount because chaos wastes suck.

Never confederate him because you lose his turf bonus.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Psycho Landlord posted:

Okay what the gently caress Eltharion owns

why am I enjoying an non-imrik elf this feels like a betrayal of myself

Elf Batman rocks, gets buffs to all those unique units none of the other elf's get so if you specialize in them it makes it feel a bit different to the other elves

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
What do you guys do when you get to an endgame crisis and dozens of armies spawn outside several of your (mostly undefended) cities? Play it out on the backfoot or just call it a day?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
play it out

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Thanks to whoever recommended the army cost limit mod.
I like the combat much more when there's fewer squads on both sides.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Marmaduke! posted:

What do you guys do when you get to an endgame crisis and dozens of armies spawn outside several of your (mostly undefended) cities? Play it out on the backfoot or just call it a day?

I kind of forgot those were a thing.

I have walls in every city I build though, so I typically just recruit some stacks and go hog wild.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Marmaduke! posted:

Unless you changed it so you don't, you get a several turn warning before they spawn.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Marmaduke! posted:

I spend the preceding 40 turns preparing for that to happen. And then get caught off guard anyway.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Ravenfood posted:

Unless you changed it so you don't, you get a several turn warning before they spawn.

I did get the 10 turn warning because of long campaign victory but nothing to suggest what it actually was. Still, you guys are right and I'll play it out, so what a few armies have spawned in Bretonnia, it will be a good challenge for my vassals. I might just go back one turn so I can move N'kari and other powerful armies back towards those areas though, make it more of a fair fight...

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

dogstile posted:

I kind of forgot those were a thing.

I have walls in every city I build though, so I typically just recruit some stacks and go hog wild.

walls are still kind of meh (well worth it in TWW2) but you do get ample warning to prepare

however, there are situations where if you are playing as certain LLs, you can get an early endgame crisis and be totally screwed no matter what you do or how good you are. Thorgrim with orcs, for example

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Marmaduke! posted:

When my games go that long I end up with ridiculous positive income on most factions so when they tell you "the end is coming" recruit some stacks at the 5 turn mark. Also don't spend ALL your green income and you can now afford to lose cities.

A lot of players I notice are put off by a feeling that territory losses are unforgiveable but as long as you have your LL Doomstack, a willingness to use Lightning Strike and your capital city(OK, *a* city) it technically isn't over. The real choice is how willing you are to see another hundred turns through.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Marmaduke! posted:

The default is a ten turn warning, but I pushed the start back a couple dozen turns and dropped the warning to five. Much like my Stellaris settings that turned out to be overkill.

In ten turns you should be able to get at least one army off the ground that counters whatever faction it warns you about, or start positioning what you have near their likely spawn points.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 7, 2023

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I always play out the endgame crises' but I also have gotten owned every time . I wish the super armies weren't so jampacked with elite units tbh, be a lot more fun if it was just the numbers that you had to deal with.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I'm still a baby TW3 player so I just skipped because I was kind of over Cathay by the end of the Long Victory and wanted to move on. I also thought the scenarios were supposed to come AFTER the long victory, but mine was like 30 turns before I finished the last two check marks.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Chad Sexington posted:

I'm still a baby TW3 player so I just skipped because I was kind of over Cathay by the end of the Long Victory and wanted to move on. I also thought the scenarios were supposed to come AFTER the long victory, but mine was like 30 turns before I finished the last two check marks.

You can set it to trigger on long victory or a timer, which can also have a range in which case it is randomized within the range. If both are set it will trigger whichever setting is first.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I did play out my Morghur campaign to a long victory and got the Black Pyramid TK event. By the time I got over there though Skarbrand had blunted their advance and a jabberslythe+Morghur doomstack steamrolled it.

Do VC players ever prioritize the military buildings? I usually feel like I don't need them because it's easier and quicker to just Raise Dead advanced units from battle sites.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I know that there was a big lightning strike change at some point in the past but I have no idea what it was.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

S.J. posted:

I know that there was a big lightning strike change at some point in the past but I have no idea what it was.
In WH2 it only took 1 point to get access to lightning strike battles and deny enemy reinforcements completely. In 3 the first two points just increase reinforcement timers and a 3rd gets you complete denial.

EDIT: Also I think in 2 you didn't start a lightning strike battle exhausted so there was no reason not to use it whenever possible?

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 7, 2023

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Sindai posted:

In WH2 it only took 1 point to get access to lightning strike battles and deny enemy reinforcements completely. In 3 the first two points just increase reinforcement timers and a 3rd gets you complete denial.

EDIT: Also I think in 2 you didn't start a lightning strike battle exhausted so there was no reason not to use it whenever possible?
Both correct. Now there's little reason not to put the extra two points into the blue line for the capstone skill.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
And in WH1, Lightning Strike was a 3-pointer, but gave full perks at lvl1 and additional points just made you have a tiny radius increase for reinforcement range.

Yea, it may have been underestimated.

Pierre McGuire
Oct 30, 2010
I used to always beeline lightning strike on every lord but now that it's 3 points to block reinforcements I tend to get it a bit later unless I'm facing Greenskins where it still feels essential.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Sindai posted:

Ah, so it's way more of an investment now. Makes sense. Seems like it probably isn't worth it right away until you've got to the point where the AI is rolling multiple stacks anyways.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
If the blue tree has a good cap for the faction you just take 3/3 Lightning Strike anyway. Or if it's competing with -25% upkeep you put 6 points into that part eventually.

They gave us 10 more levels so lol at taking 2 of them away. Just affects the early game timing a bit.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I've also started making a lightning strike lord in my games, then disbanded him so I can recruit him later when some dire need occurs (like endgame or a Grimgog waagh)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The closer you are to greenskins the more important lightning strike is to get early. When everyone is running lower tier armies a Waaagh stack can be brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnightRider
Jan 7, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
How the gently caress do you play settra campaign on hard and above. Just get borked from every direction.