Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Jurassic Park and T2 and like, The Matrix are movies where if they're on in the corner of the room people almost immediately sit down, shut up, and just start watching from whatever point in the movie it is. If you had these playing on a tv in the corner of a diner people wouldn't pay their bills til the credits rolled

edit: I will read the DFW thing even though his jaded 'everything sucks' writing usually itself sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
DFW's take on jurassic park is a single line in a giant essay that's otherwise about cruise ships, so that's probably not what you want. however, you may be interested in this DFW essay about T2: https://www.michaelfuchs.org/re/index.php?story=2010-03-01

Aglet56 has issued a correction as of 21:16 on Jan 6, 2023

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Aglet56 posted:

DFW's take on jurassic park is a single line in a giant essay that's otherwise about cruise ships, so that's probably not what you want. however, you may be interested in this essay about T2: https://www.michaelfuchs.org/re/index.php?story=2010-03-01

this guy fuchs

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

jurassic park sucks rear end lol. awful, awful characters being stupid and obnoxious set to Williams corniest, most embarrassing score. even the action set pieces that were memorable as a kid feel perfunctory now. its a movie for 10 year olds with poop and booger jokes. some cool practical effects at least.

hey gently caress you bro

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Antonymous posted:

there's a theory that comes from colonoscopies, called Peak-End Theory.

It goes like if you have to put your hand into freezing water for 60 seconds most people aren't going to like it. But if you have to do it for 60 seconds and then for 30 additional seconds tepid water is flushed in, and you're allowed to remove your hands after they've slightly warmed, most people won't mind this experience, even though it's "objectively" worse. And the lesson was that for colonoscopies, leave the camera in for a few minutes at the end without moving it, and take it out as gently as possible, and most people will come back for another when they're supposed to. Because people remember how the end compared to the peak when they evaluate how an experience was, and not much else.

There's also a factor of expectation, where if you go to a cheap restaurant and the food is OK, but the desert is surprisingly good, you will rate the restaurant higher. But if it's an expensive restaurant that doesn't work, instead the appetizer has to be very good, which I guess tells your brain 'you were worried if this place was worth it - well it looks like it is!' and from there the food can be mediocre.

I think audiences can put up with a lot of bullshit if there's a good midpoint, climax and ending. That's your appetizer, peak and end. You just need to support those with the rest of the film and you've made a good movie, but that's what people are loving up. The whole beginning doesn't even have to be good.

also this post slaps, i really like this. i think hitchcock had a bit like this but without the assplay

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

jurassic park sucks rear end lol. awful, awful characters being stupid and obnoxious set to Williams corniest, most embarrassing score. even the action set pieces that were memorable as a kid feel perfunctory now. its a movie for 10 year olds with poop and booger jokes. some cool practical effects at least.

im going to loving eat you bitch

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jurassic Park is good but it would be better if when the wretched Tim climbed the electric fence he exploded

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I'm reminded of a story Dan Harmon told on his podcast of a friend going on a ten minute rant about how much Led Zeppelin sucks and Robert Plant is a terrible singer and so on and at the end of it, Jack Black just says from the back seat "Pffff, ZEPPELIN RUUUUUULES"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Antonymous posted:

It goes like if you have to put your hand into freezing water for 60 seconds most people aren't going to like it. But if you have to do it for 60 seconds and then for 30 additional seconds tepid water is flushed in, and you're allowed to remove your hands after they've slightly warmed, most people won't mind this experience, even though it's "objectively" worse. And the lesson was that for colonoscopies, leave the camera in for a few minutes at the end without moving it, and take it out as gently as possible, and most people will come back for another when they're supposed to. Because people remember how the end compared to the peak when they evaluate how an experience was, and not much else.

There's also a factor of expectation, where if you go to a cheap restaurant and the food is OK, but the desert is surprisingly good, you will rate the restaurant higher. But if it's an expensive restaurant that doesn't work, instead the appetizer has to be very good, which I guess tells your brain 'you were worried if this place was worth it - well it looks like it is!' and from there the food can be mediocre.

I think audiences can put up with a lot of bullshit if there's a good midpoint, climax and ending. That's your appetizer, peak and end. You just need to support those with the rest of the film and you've made a good movie, but that's what people are loving up. The whole beginning doesn't even have to be good.

Howard Hawks put this more simply when he said a great movie is three good scenes and no bad scenes

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I'm reminded of a story Dan Harmon told on his podcast of a friend going on a ten minute rant about how much Led Zeppelin sucks and Robert Plant is a terrible singer and so on and at the end of it, Jack Black just says from the back seat "Pffff, ZEPPELIN RUUUUUULES"

you listened to a dan harmon podcast?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i dunno if Zep has a single album that's good all the way through

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Yeah I listened to a lot of podcasts when I worked overnight at UPS. Gotta fill the time somehow

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Antonymous posted:

if you're going to take lessons from colonoscopies to apply to the film industry why not skip straight to the objective fact that all films, even marvel poo poo, are fun if you're taking enough IV benzos

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Pockets used to be for Click Wheel Ipods!

I thought about buying one of these recently but they were surprisingly expensive and I am fairly sure there is one in my house somewhere.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i dunno if Zep has a single album that's good all the way through

A perfect album with absolutely no filler whatsoever is extremely rare though

Even Jagged Little Pill had a couple weak tracks

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Howard Hawks put this more simply when he said a great movie is three good scenes and no bad scenes

Wow thank you I never hear this before (sarcasm)

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

alright well don't be a dick about it though

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Antonymous posted:

Wow thank you I never hear this before (sarcasm)

in fairness i had never read it expressed in three meandering paragraphs of colonoscopy metaphors before, but i think i was better off

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

if someone says that you have made a statement comparable to the director of red river you go "gently caress, thanks", and you don't get bogged down by already knowing poo poo. this is the path of the warrior

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

here’s my music contribution: i feel like i’m getting old bc i’m starting to think dylan’s 70s output is better than his 60s stuff

i’ll know i’m really old when i start thinking his 90s-00s is his best

Are you going to have a born-again phase soon?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Antonymous posted:

A lot of stuff doesn't hold up but a lot does, and in a way it also proves to me that movies before 2001 were on average much better than movies after 2010 or so.
this is well known. however I’d say cutoff is 2003 when consolidation occurred and liquidity imploded, and not 2010. 2000s were mostly sucky outside a few rare master pieces like children of men, there will be blood, no country for old men, and I guess lotr

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Antonymous posted:

edit: I will read the DFW thing even though his jaded 'everything sucks' writing usually itself sucks

that’s not really DFWs thing. you can watch his lecture for the graduating class at Kenyon university in 2004 for a better understanding of the guy, and it’s a good lecture. I think it’s called This Is Water. I’m on my phone and it’s hard to link things but he specifically rails against being jaded goony guy

I mean sort of his earlier stuff alike Iowa State Faire or Maine Lovster Festival or Cruise Ships suck; but that’s not even really controversial because they do suck

Xaris has issued a correction as of 22:36 on Jan 6, 2023

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Eric Cantonese posted:

Are you going to have a born-again phase soon?

getting there https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K01EAM2TtD4

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Xaris posted:

this is well known. however I’d say cutoff is 2003 when consolidation occurred and liquidity imploded, and not 2010. 2000s were mostly sucky outside a few rare master pieces like children of men, there will be blood, no country for old men, and I guess lotr

I love the lotr movies, but there's a part of me that's convinced it's like 80% howard shore

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x0COtH4Vrw

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Xaris posted:

that’s not really DFWs thing. you can watch his lecture for the graduating class at Kenyon university in 2004 for a better understanding of the guy, and it’s a good lecture. I think it’s called This Is Water. I’m on my phone and it’s hard to link things but he specifically rails against being jaded goony guy

I mean sort of his earlier stuff alike Iowa State Faire or Maine Lovster Festival or Cruise Ships suck; but that’s not even really controversial because they do suck

DFW desperately doesn't want to be the jaded goony guy but he has no actual answer to the "so how do we make this suck less" problem that his writing raises

he can write about mental illness and substance abuse, and create monty python absurd situations, but he can't turn any of that into something more than "welp, that sucks, and scene"

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

redneck nazgul posted:

DFW desperately doesn't want to be the jaded goony guy but he has no actual answer to the "so how do we make this suck less" problem that his writing raises

he can write about mental illness and substance abuse, and create monty python absurd situations, but he can't turn any of that into something more than "welp, that sucks, and scene"

he says you have to tell yourself cliches (like in AA) and repeat them over and over until you rewire your brain a little bit and get a little better, all while trying to let your guard down

of course, that's not like a systemic/structural solution, but a personal one (and he killed himself)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

just learned of an incredible name watching an old movie with Barbara Stanwyck

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

redneck nazgul posted:

wow whats this guys account?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I got a suspicion that The Last of Us is gonna bomb

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's a TV show so it'll be impossible to really know

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

loquacius posted:

i'm your man

no don't say jazz police, that is the jewel in the crown

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Koirhor posted:

I got a suspicion that The Last of Us is gonna bomb

The game was already trying its hardest to be a prestige TV show so it's weird to see it adapted at all. I'd rather most video game properties bomb horribly so studios are more wary to try and cash in on them.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

redneck nazgul posted:

but he can't turn any of that into something more than "welp, that sucks, and scene"

mental illness tends to do that to a person

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Aglet56 posted:

DFW's take on jurassic park is a single line in a giant essay that's otherwise about cruise ships, so that's probably not what you want. however, you may be interested in this DFW essay about T2: https://www.michaelfuchs.org/re/index.php?story=2010-03-01

its funny that in my limited look into his work he consistently likes 80s movies and doesn't like 90s movies and isn't that just like us now except the line is drawn maybe 15 or 20 years ago instead of 5 or 10

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Hybrid theory

Rebirth

My dark twisted beautiful twisted dark fantasy

By the Way

Black Market Music

Doolittle

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

redneck nazgul posted:

oh absolutely. I’ve written essentially the same thing about him is that was a genius diagnosis doctor yet a poo poo surgeon.

the thing is no one can. at least not under a class structure or consumption-transactional framework upon which society is conducted. and I think he saw there was no real way out under his blinders perspective besides offing himself

I loved DFW a lot when I was younger in college circa 2006 but I’ve soured a bit on him since because he really missed the material conditions aspect to nearly all his writing. he could say “wow all this advertising and commodifying what it means to be human into cash transactions is really mentally unhealthy!” but he never actually seemed to get the underlying structure upon which that is all created and manifested

cliche to say but dfw probably would have benefitted from reading Marx

Xaris has issued a correction as of 23:38 on Jan 6, 2023

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
The Menu was pretty dumb, it felt like the actors deserved a better script.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

i don't think DFW would have gotten anywhere by reading marx

his big selling point was an overly complicated and intricate world of broken things that can't be fixed as a counterpoint to the overly simple we're just going to fix the world by helping message of the end of history mid-90s. the whole reason he makes it into literary canon is because he reinforces that you can't fight the system so you should just do drugs and die quietly about it

you show him the underlying causes and offer a solution and his writing either doesn't happen or ends up panned to the point of crankhood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

loquacius posted:

Even Jagged Little Pill had a couple weak tracks

nah there’s plenty of albums with no filler, but everything’s subjective and everyone’s got different ideas on what’s filler and not