Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I don't have a wife but I sleep in a cool racecar bed so it's fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I’ve got a wife and I also sleep in a cool race car bed :whatup:

butros fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 26, 2022

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

butros posted:

I have neither :cry:

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

butros posted:

Well I married a cool race car!

(Hope everyone is having a great holiday and is looking forward to what 2023 brings)

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Sleeping in a 15 year old Subaru WRX doesn't count as a racecar bed

I could probably buy a brand new gi for every time I go to the gym for the amount I spend on daycare.

I'm not really sure where I am going with this

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Tyro posted:

Sleeping in a 15 year old Subaru WRX doesn't count as a racecar bed

I could probably buy a brand new gi for every time I go to the gym for the amount I spend on daycare.

I'm not really sure where I am going with this

It'll pay off when you put that kid in Jits and one day they leglock the poo poo out of you.

It'll be a proud moment.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

i only have 3 gis

edit: but they are all AP heh

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Danaher seminar being planned on the Gold Coast in January. There'll probably be too many people to get any personal instruction and the price will probably be high, so it's not likely that I'll go.

Starkebn, are you planning on hitting any open mats next week? And have you decided if you're going to stay at your current club or not?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I've got an old back injury giving me trouble at the moment, so won't risk rolling with people I don't know for now.

As for changing gyms, I'm just mostly bemoaning the old school style of lesson plans, if I could find a gym that's close that did things differently I might consider changing, but that's a tall order. I think I'm going to putter along not improving much, my motivation isn't very high right now.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

May all your jiu jitsu dreams come true in 2023.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why you gotta curse me like that?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mekchu posted:

Why you gotta curse me like that?

haha someone got the joke

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's that Robert Degle seminar he did in Korea.

https://youtu.be/sx5HsV5hOwM

Has the real and actual proper names etc. that I would have hosed up if you asked me to explain.

First half is like a technique bit and the 2nd half was from the impromptu ADCC rules training session they decided to put together the next day.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mekchu posted:

Here's that Robert Degle seminar he did in Korea.

https://youtu.be/sx5HsV5hOwM

Has the real and actual proper names etc. that I would have hosed up if you asked me to explain.

First half is like a technique bit and the 2nd half was from the impromptu ADCC rules training session they decided to put together the next day.

Thanks for sharing!

This reminds me of one I did down in San diego at 10P a few years back. A sweat box!

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Thanks for sharing!

This reminds me of one I did down in San diego at 10P a few years back. A sweat box!

Join 10p already!

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

I took up BJJ again after a 10 year hiatus (practiced on and off for 2-3 years back when stuff like leg locks were not a thing). Almost finished the 20-course intro session in our academy and can hopefully join the main training group soon.

At 34, feels quite brutal to start up again - after the first few classes I was aching everywhere and managed to sprain a back/neck muscle yesterday while we got our intro to rolling out of an omoplata. On a positive note, rolled with a purple belt on open mat and he said I was pretty unspazzy for a beginner and decently strong (I'll take that as a compliment for me hitting the gym over the past year, not as a gentle comment on strength over technique) so not all hope is lost. Feels good to be back.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Good for you for getting back into it. I myself was out for 5 years and have been steadily training since 2019.

And 34, for this thread, is probably not that old. Aches and pains and injuries happen. Just ease up, do your stretching and don't worry about winning every roll.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
High five, lovely tuna snatch. Welcome to the club.

I'm in a similar boat - did BJJ for about a year when I was in college, a bit over 20 years ago. Back in the day when upper belts were unicorns. Our club was affiliated with a school run by a black belt that was like 90 minutes drive away, and our main instructor was a blue belt. I stopped due to an injury and didn't really get back into it until about 6 months ago. Wish I had kept with it back in the day but I guess now is the second best time. I'm definitely taking things much slower now that I'm older.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah 34 might actually be below median in this thread

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

heeebrew posted:

Join 10p already!

lol BUT I WANT TO TRAIN IN THE GI :D

Speaking of joining a gym. Ive gym hopped...again. For reasons I cant really go into too much, Im basically done with how Brazilians run their gyms. Dont get me wrong, the instruction is usually fantatic. But they are like cats: love you one minute and then have problems with you the next. My older instructor is one of the best Ive ever worked with. I respect him and hes a good man and instructor. But the communication, the billing problems, the overcharging for petty poo poo, and the blind loyalty and creonte poo poo is not something Im willing to deal with anymore. I've joined an American owned gym that is owned by a guy that shares a lot of my sentiments and some of my friends from my old gym are there that feel the same way. I left things on a good note with my old instructor and Ill still be there on Saturdays, but I told him Im moving on and hes cool with that.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Unfortunately that kind of stuff is not exclusive to gyms run by Brazilians.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
I’m running on a small sample size, but my experience was very similar regarding Brazilian vs American owned. Although I didn’t really have “the instruction is terrific” to fall back on, as any progression to the sport after 2005 or so wasn’t taught and was actually discouraged.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

FiestaDePantalones posted:

I’m running on a small sample size, but my experience was very similar regarding Brazilian vs American owned. Although I didn’t really have “the instruction is terrific” to fall back on, as any progression to the sport after 2005 or so wasn’t taught and was actually discouraged.

I havent met a single one that truly encourages an open mat session at their gym, advertises it on their social media, and welcomes everyone. Its all lip service.

In order for the sport to grow, this "you train over there and I train over here" BS probably needs to end. Thats old school BJJ mentality that a lot of Americans IMO are sick of ( at least a sizable amount of the friends I know that train).

There is a gym here in SoCal that will not allow you to go to an open mat session unless you rent one of their gis or rashguards for the day (they are all designed the same). Like what kind of poo poo is that? Keenan eventually left that gym and opened a gym of his own in direct opposition to that and has one of the biggest open mats Ive seen. So many ideas being exchanged.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 4, 2023

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
VERY much the same in my current (the American owned) gym. They encourage people to go watch videos/train wherever they want/visit other open mats and invite those people to ours. It's great, we regularly get guys that were on podium at Pans drop in and roll and swap techniques and pointers. Seriously such an amazing change.

This is a 180 degree turn from my former gym, where you were creonte if you went to another open mat. People that came to their "open mat" had to pay the (cheap at $25 compared to some schools) drop-in fee. No gi classes didn't happen.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

My experience is the same in (North) America. I've been to several Canadian gyms founded explicitly to be as open and accessible as possible. They don't care what affiliation you are, or what patches your gi has, or who you've trained with. Some are even set up as not-for-profits. Everyone has a day job, so the motivation is to get the gym to pay for itself instead of constantly making more money.

Of course one of these gyms has gotten big enough that they've had people split and start their own gyms, or people with bad blood going back years. Still, they've been a breath of fresh air compared to more insular gyms and usually have a higher skill level to boot.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My gym rules; we're encouraged to train all over and people are welcomed to come in for free drop ins; after I started training Judo my professor joined them and now the Judo people come give us seminars. :unsmith:

And my professor is having a harder and harder time with her professor, the org owner, because he, his wife, and other high level people in the org have been awful to her for years :smith:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my gym in korea has been good (along with some very frustrating parts that i've aired/talked about). the coach is very encouraging of people trying out new things, visiting other gyms etc. while also still pushing people to not be too hasty or rush into a new thing if they're still struggling with basic stuff.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I've been at two good gyms that have been what I needed it to be at the time, but I grew out of them.

Gym 1: Decent coach, but was attached to a TMA gym which ended up enforcing some stupid rules and restrictions. This was good for me as an entry level nerd boy as it allowed me to gain confidence with martial arts and a decent foundation of rolling while dudes who where way too intense either self selected out or where asked to leave with a quickness. Eventually I started chaffing against the low skill ceiling as a blue belt and the reliance on traditional old school jits, no leg locks, very rarely any exposure to guards beyond full, butterfly, and spider. So I dipped out to...

Gym 2: Decent coach, taught a more relatively modern bjj style, and also kept a very open and accepting gym vibe. This place opened my eyes to more techniques, more rolling, and more variety of mentalities. I ended up getting my purple here, but I started getting annoyed that Black Belts would dodge me due to various factors including weight, age, and a killer leg lock game I built on my time, and other stuff and the Brown belts couldn't keep up because they'd pretty much stuck with what the coach taught which was like a late 2000's/early 2010's IBJJF jits, ankle locks, inversions, guard pulls, and some more dexterous guards, which a modern leg lock and wrestling game runs through.

Gym 3: Is where I'm currently at. Coach so far teaches a modern game, full range of attacks. The black belts frequently roll with me, the brown belts are beasts, and we have a working relationship with a bigger gym that has national level top tier competitors come through to roll and have fun with us off and on. Hopefully this is my forever home.

All places where what I needed at the time, and I believe I wouldn't really have survived or enjoyed jits at gym 3 if I had skipped the other two, and I don't really think badly of the previous coaches.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 4, 2023

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Pre-orders for Robert Drysdale's new book on the history of BJJ are up. In the email I got he said that the film is now four episodes and will hopefully come out in Summer of this year.

https://www.closedguardfilm.com/product/pre-order-the-rise-and-evolution-of-brazilian-jiu-jitsu-by-robert-drysdale/

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I liked the first one but it was essentially a series of interviews contextualized by introductions, if this is more of a coherent synthesis from his research I'm going to buy a half dozen copies and leave them around gyms like Johnny Appleseed.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Is that movie ever coming out?

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Count Roland posted:

Is that movie ever coming out?

From the email I got today:

"I am happy to announce that the film is back in production. This time with a whole new editing crew who is excited and committed to finishing the film by Summer 2023. The film in reality will consist of four episodes in a docuseries format. We don’t have a platform to release the film yet, but we are currently working on it. We will have updates soon."

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

duckdealer posted:

Pre-orders for Robert Drysdale's new book on the history of BJJ are up. In the email I got he said that the film is now four episodes and will hopefully come out in Summer of this year.

https://www.closedguardfilm.com/product/pre-order-the-rise-and-evolution-of-brazilian-jiu-jitsu-by-robert-drysdale/

Yeah the first book was little weird. Just a collection of whose who in the world of Jiu Jitsu along with some stories.

Hoping this one expands upon the history.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Lotta kids in this thread, lol. I turned 48 last weekend and celebrated by doing 6 hours of training over sat/sun and then feeling very old on monday. I've been averaging 4 hours a week for the last year and finally feeling like I'm making some progressing. Trying to get to purple before I turn to dust. Thankfully, old guy strength and treachery can keep one alive in a room full of killers half their age.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Acinonyx posted:

Lotta kids in this thread, lol. I turned 48 last weekend and celebrated by doing 6 hours of training over sat/sun and then feeling very old on monday. I've been averaging 4 hours a week for the last year and finally feeling like I'm making some progressing. Trying to get to purple before I turn to dust. Thankfully, old guy strength and treachery can keep one alive in a room full of killers half their age.

46 here next month. I have the 10 year plan. Started at age 40 and am hoping to get my black by the time Im 50 (maybe even before if Im lucky!).

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

duckdealer posted:

I wanna buy this. The first one is pretty good and interesting.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Our local gym now has a new spot, new schedule (8 hrs of instruction and four hours of open mat a week, awesome).

Of course third day down there I mad a bad post and jammed my entire arm. Smart.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .

flashman posted:

Our local gym now has a new spot, new schedule (8 hrs of instruction and four hours of open mat a week, awesome).

Of course third day down there I mad a bad post and jammed my entire arm. Smart.

I've been a bad poster for years and I always warm up before logging on.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

flashman posted:

I've jammed so many fingers at this point that most of them on my left had cant completely curl.

The joys of being a [new] brown belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea
In celebration of my current gym doing a leg lock emphasis this week, I've been going back to review the only modern game leg lock instructional I own, Down Under Leg locks. It seems more than sufficient for my needs, local gym rolling and maybe some open mats. I'm just curious about how it compares to the current leg lock meta, being about 5 years old. I'm under the impression that the saddle and classic ankle lock positions have fallen out of favor and that's sort of the emphasis.