Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Starsfan posted:

I mean it's really hard to judge how the Russians stand with shell inventories because from what I understand

1) the amount of shells they historically produced / had available at the start of the war is not actually a known quantity
2) the amount of shells they have produced post-sanctions this last year is not a known quantity
3) it is not actually known how many shells they fire a day and tough to estimate because there are large sections of the front where they may use artillery not at all or very sparingly whereas there are sections of the front where they are outgunning the Ukrainians by a very wide margin

All of the % remaining estimations you see presented in the western media are typically based off of estimates of pre-war inventories, assumptions of well below replacement level production (or in some cases no production) of shells by Russia since the war started, and estimates of usage that seem to be calculated by taking the amount of shells the Ukrainians claim to be shooting a day and then multiplying it by some factor based on guess work and 3rd hand reporting..

Lostconfused posted:

Marenghi posted:

Tens of thousands of shells produced every year? So what's that, a couple days worth of shelling in the Ukraine?

They must have 100s of these factories to keep up with the war effort.

For Russians it could be a day if things are quiet.

Виктор Мураховский posted:

Shell famine

Miscalculations by the General Staff in the ammunition accumulation rate (900 rounds) led in 1914 to an acute shortage of shells for the army in action. Emergency measures were needed to save the army from a complete shell famine. The military industry was not prepared to meet this challenge.

Although the measures taken made it was possible to improve the supply of the front with artillery shells in the first half of 1915, the "shell famine" was only fully eliminated in 1916.

The modern munitions and special chemicals industry.
It is engaged in the development and production of ammunition (AP) and cartridges of all types, gunpowder, rocket fuel, chemical poisons and special agents. As of 2022, the munitions and special chemicals industry comprised 91 enterprises.

The Russian Army in the early 1990s inherited about 15 million tonnes of missiles and ammunition from the Soviet Army, stored in 180 arsenals, bases and warehouses.

As of 1 January 2013, the availability of ammunition in the Russian Armed Forces is 3.7 million tonnes, of which 1.1 million tonnes are unserviceable. In other words, there are 2.6 million tonnes suitable.

In 2020, almost 300,000 rounds of ammunition were repaired at the arsenals using their own resources, and over 20,000 shells for multiple-launch rocket systems were collected.

The real need for ammunition is MILLIONS of pieces per year.
(from t.me/Viktor_Murakhovskiy/398, via tgsa)

Коты и кошка Крамника posted:

To understand the scale - one million tons of ammunition in terms of 152mm rounds (projectile+charge) is approximately 16 million shots. About the same amount of ammunition per 122mm Grad MLRS rocket launcher. Peak consumption during summer battles is up to 60,000 rounds per day. Average, taking into account periods of calm - up to 20 thousand rounds per day.

Is it a lot or not? The consumption during the war, according to western estimates, reaches 7 million rounds of shells over 100mm caliber during the past 10 months. Annual production is unknown, roughly estimated (see here for an example Western estimate) in 2021 it could reach for 152mm shells about 300k a year, and that is a lot - about 10 times the annual production of 155mm shells in the USA before the conflict. But not enough given the consumption. Is a multiple of that possible given the defence industry's shift to a tightened regime? Yes.

And by an order of magnitude or more, in order to ensure the consumption of 300,000 rounds in less than two weeks?

That would require a general mobilization of the economy and more than one year of preparatory work with a fundamental restructuring of the entire political and economic system of the country, the probability of which everyone is free to assess for himself.

In the West, the problem is exactly the same - and to a greater extent, given that no NATO country has deployed full-flow ammunition production today, and such deployment is still only planned and estimated in the United States. However, the potential production volume there could be much higher, given the capabilities of US partners and allies outside NATO. At the same time, its full utilisation is only possible in a direct conflict between Russia and NATO, whereas if limited to Ukrainian territory it would be limited by the capacity of the Ukrainian military machine and Ukrainian infrastructure, with natural demographic and geographic limits.

The political question of ending the war hinges somewhere here - at the intersection point where the reduction of stocks on both sides, the growth of industrial capabilities, the resulting limits to the combat capabilities of both sides (which they will achieve at _different_ times) and the willingness to pay for it - in every sense of the word.
(from t.me/kramnikcat/2986, via tgsa)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Weka posted:

Merry Christmas!

I did some reading on the AMX-10s and they seem like the most awful thing in the world to maintain.

Inflation in the USA seems to be up significantly.

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/inflation/current-inflation-rates/

When you adjust the DOW for inflation, it's down 11.5%

I'm too lazy to do much digging but Brent crude is slightly cheaper in Europe than at the beginning of 2021.

That inflation predates the war, though. I don't think you can attribute the majority of inflation in 2022 to the war either. I think a lot of this inflation is due to covid killing or disabling a lot of people, constricting the available labor supply, and impeding manufacturing/distribution.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Technically, Russian forces could respond to Ukrainian fire, basically there wasn't a ceasefire

How many weapons shot in self-defense trigger sirens?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Yeah that's called demand destruction, when the price surges so high that people lower their consumption to compensate.

Meanwhile, oil company profits are record high.

That doesn't seem to be the case. If it was a significant factor, oil companies would be struggling to make those record profits on the same wholesale prices. Looks like they just made a lot of money because the price increased while demand stayed steady.

https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/oil-and-gas/contact-us/snapshot-of-global-oil-supply-and-demand

Hatebag posted:

That inflation predates the war, though. I don't think you can attribute the majority of inflation in 2022 to the war either. I think a lot of this inflation is due to covid killing or disabling a lot of people, constricting the available labor supply, and impeding manufacturing/distribution.

Yeah this is a good point and I'm going to try and find out how much of inflation is because of fuel prices.

Weka has issued a correction as of 23:54 on Jan 6, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Leandros posted:

How many shots triggered sirens?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Leandros posted:

Given Ukrainian forces proclivity for locating themselves near civilians, possibly quite a few.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Vomik posted:

are RAAM any different than a standard landmine?

Yeah. They are cannon-launched, anti-armor, and they self-destruct after a period of time measured in hours to day, not weeks to months.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Looks like fuel has been the primary driver of inflation since March 2021. Shoutout to clothes for also doing numbers.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Ardennes posted:

I get the feeling the West really just gives the Ukrainians everything they don't want.

vice president of Ukraine, Kamala Harris!!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

By according to some of the estimates, the Russians should have long have been out of shells. In addition, by most reports there is long-term storage of shells that doesn’t seem to be taken into account, and according to at least one of those sources it would be years worth for ammo.

Beyond that, we know the Russians are still firing and there is daily reports of continued mass use of artillery. Wagner mercenaries are also pushing up heavily at the moment.

Basically, it doesn’t really smell right as the Russians seem to be still firing away (also a bunch of new factories opened just before the war and were ramping up production).

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 02:34 on Jan 7, 2023

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Ardennes posted:

By according to those estimates, the Russians should have long have been out of shells. In addition, by most reports there is long-term storage of shells that doesn’t seem to be taken into account.

Beyond that, we know the Russians are still firing and there is daily reports of continued mass use of artillery. Wagner mercenaries are also pushing up heavily at the moment.

Basically, it doesn’t really smell right as the Russians seem to be still firing away (also a bunch of new factories opened just before the war and were ramping up production).

well there's 2 options. Either the estimates / reported stockpile numbers are complete loving garbage or Russia is actually out of shells and missiles and the entire war effort is currently being supported by North Korea.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Well, by way of example since I don't know what work stuff I can post, Significant Surpluses: Weapons and Ammunition Stockpiles in South-east Europe.

The stocks in the Balkans give some idea of how much Warsaw Pact built up. It's no coincidence Bulgaria is both a major player in the global arms trade and a main supplier to Ukraine: in 2011 they had over 150k tonnes of stockpiled ammunition of which 15k tonnes were excess that needed to be recycled, decommissioned or destroyed that year. Every year more munitions become surplus and more need to be disposed of, regardless of what's being produced - some of these stocks were produced in the 60's and 70's. Now, consider that Russia inherited significant stocks from the Soviet Union and unlike the WP members now in NATO did not destroy much of them in the 2000's to convert to NATO standards, and you get an idea of the enormity of the stockpiles.

The report specifically mentions that NATO has different standards of calculating stockpiles than eastern bloc nations and NATO standards were not intended for the kind of war the new NATO members had evidently prepared for.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ardennes posted:

By according to those estimates, the Russians should have long have been out of shells.
Unless I am doing the math wrong, 2.6 million tons, 16 million rounds per ton, 60 thousand per day is enough to last 2 years without even producing anything at all. Even if half of that was used up between 2013 and 2022, it would still be enough for almost a year.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Boring option: Russia is not out of shells but cannot sustain fire at the very high rate they could early in the war due to a mix of unsustainable early consumption rates, destroyed stocks, and damage to logistical chains (trucks, etc that move ammo to the firing point).

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The thing that makes it boring is that it's been mentioned several times in this thread already.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lostconfused posted:

16 million rounds per ton,

16 million rounds per million tons was the original claim. I assume includes dunnage and powder.

16 million per ton would be like BB gun ammo or something.

E: if metric tons, less. Each round would be like .1 grams.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Idk, increasing shell production by a factor of 10 seems very possible? I would suppose all shells are produced at some old USSR factories running far below capacity?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

16 million rounds per million tons was the original claim. I assume includes dunnage and powder.

16 million per ton would be like BB gun ammo or something.

E: if metric tons, less. Each round would be like .1 grams.

You're absolutely right, thank you for being you.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Leandros posted:

The Ukrainian security state would never show such bad faith as to turn on the alarms after an artillery exchange they started first

Not to be snarky but I'm just not getting it here. There's also the possibility that the people who run civil defense alarms have no clue what the army is doing.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Weka posted:

Looks like fuel has been the primary driver of inflation since March 2021. Shoutout to clothes for also doing numbers.

Go food!

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Isentropy posted:

The Ukrainian security state would never show such bad faith as to turn on the alarms after an artillery exchange they started first

Not to be snarky but I'm just not getting it here. There's also the possibility that the people who run civil defense alarms have no clue what the army is doing.

The reports were "all over ukraine" and I'm pretty sure a lot of that does not fall under the range of artillery

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Leandros posted:

The reports were "all over ukraine" and I'm pretty sure a lot of that does not fall under the range of artillery

So how many?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Ork weapons and vehicles work so long as the orks believe they will work. This explains why they never run out of shells and why the Ukrainians cannot use any of the thousands of captured Russian vehicles.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
It is probably also a real problem for them that they can't have a nice centralized ammo storage to simplify logistics due to HIMARS targeting such locations.

I guess they could always throw more trucks and manpower on the problem but having a bunch of small distributed and temporary ammo dumps is probably a real pain in the rear end to manage. As, your arty crew near ammo dump A needs a refill, but ammo dump A can only supply 20% of their requested ammo order. The rest has to come from ammo dump B and C which are 2h and 6h away respectively. Then the engaged infantry which requested the fire support and arty crew curses and whines about not having ammo because the artillery can't complete their fire mission on time. The ammo exists, the manpower and vehicles to distribute it exists but, scheduling is all hosed.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

CongoJack posted:

Ork weapons and vehicles work so long as the orks believe they will work. This explains why they never run out of shells and why the Ukrainians cannot use any of the thousands of captured Russian vehicles.

Seriously.

The amount of dakka available to the average orc platoon is out of all proportion to what's realistically possible to sustain through conventional industrial manufacture. This is why all talk of logistics and trucks breaking down etc is meaningless.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Watching The Pentagon Wars right now, and it's alright.

Feel like Romanians aren't getting the credit that they deserve now that they're a valuable member of NATO.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It was already announced the Russian call-ups would be used for REMFs, and it makes sense because what the Modern Sleek Lean New Look Reforms did, in addition to what we've already discussed:

Was eliminate operational level logistics as superfluous, on the basis of Battalion Tactical Groups and Brigades operating independently. A return to actual formations with staying power and bayonet strength requires, in accordance to the 10:1 principle, a lot of truck drivers to get back up to strength. The return of the Motor Transport Battalion would go a long way to keeping everything moving.

Like a lot of the shortfalls from New Generation Warfare, it's not even that Russia the country doesn't have trucks, or the Russian Army doesn't have trucks per se, it's that they don't have them in the ORBATs and so needed to get trucks out of storage and call up drivers. They had previously demonstrated a willingness and ability to restore capability when they brought back maintenance units at different echelons after trying Public-Private Partnerships and contracting. Just a reminder because Russia is a liberal country and the Russian elite had hitherto operated on the same logic as our own. The military got fed up with it, and now military units service and maintain vehicles even though it meant an increase in army manpower and cost.

""

I'll dig up the western academic textbook on Logistics I was just reading, but philosophically I suppose logistics are a problem for liberal countries because they're fundamentally inefficient and so since the 90's there's been a lot of meddling, east and west. The idea of military logistics I suppose goes against a lot of ideological precepts. It's expensive, excessive, wasteful of material and manpower. In ideal "push logistics" you just dump mountains of supplies on a "requester" even if they did not request. The supplies need to go somewhere, the Red Ball Express will dump it on your gun position and it's your problem pal. Some military logisticians, but particularly their civilian theorist and civil servant counterparts hate this whole thing. "Pull logistics" seems like more modern supply chain management and more mirrors civilian practice and on a basic ideological level, maybe even subconscious, a Free Market as opposed to central planning.

""

There's an element of post 1991 technological wizardry here too which is part and parcel of seeking "efficiency". Units connected by computers ordering supplies which are tracked by bar code etc etc on trucks tracked throughout their routes, you can see the practical benefits but also where like civilian supply chains and orders being placed in real time as orders go through the cash registers, that this can quickly become a fantasy that fucks up supply chains. For sure losing tonnes of ammunition which used to happen, or delivering the wrong calibre, that sucked, but also, just dump ammo, POL, food and water on combat units, stop trying to think yourself into efficiency. It's a great idea in theory, there are practical benefits, but holy poo poo does this have the potential to hamstring us. War is a waste anyways, just deliver essential supplies and worry about ordering thing like uniform items or traffic pylons.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 01:47 on Jan 7, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The problem is that right now the pull logistics are some lieutenant or a sergeant texts his buddy on telegram "Hey we're low on this thing" that goes up on telegram as "hey we're collecting donations for a drone for our art recon guys" then a month or who knows when later some guy drives up in a 2nd hand SUV or van and hands them over a box off stuff, and maybe the car too.

It's weird if you think about it.

Now this is mainly happening with LDNR militias, but they are supposed to be just a part of the regular russian army this year.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The Ryber Telegram account, quoting multiple Russian correspondents, reports the Ukrainian lines near Soledar have been broken and Russian forces have advanced into the center of the town.

Suriyak reports the same, but with maps.

https://twitter.com/Suriyakmaps/status/1611391683622764544?s=20

https://twitter.com/Suriyakmaps/status/1611474808335912960?s=20

Weka
May 5, 2019

As far as logistics go and I think their whole economy, I'd characterize Russia more as a classical liberal state than a neo-liberal one, there's just too much state ownership and state direction.

(actually neo classical)

Starsfan posted:

well there's 2 options. Either the estimates / reported stockpile numbers are complete loving garbage or Russia is actually out of shells and missiles and the entire war effort is currently being supported by North Korea.

Well, they do have the second most artillery of any country in the world, by a lot. Please do not ask who is number one, also by a lot.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

There's an element of post 1991 technological wizardry here too which is part and parcel of seeking "efficiency". Units connected by computers ordering supplies which are tracked by bar code etc etc on trucks tracked throughout their routes, you can see the practical benefits but also where like civilian supply chains and orders being placed in real time as orders go through the cash registers, that this can quickly become a fantasy that fucks up supply chains. For sure losing tonnes of ammunition which used to happen, or delivering the wrong calibre, that sucked, but also, just dump ammo, POL, food and water on combat units, stop trying to think yourself into efficiency. It's a great idea in theory, there are practical benefits, but holy poo poo does this have the potential to hamstring us. War is a waste anyways, just deliver essential supplies and worry about ordering thing like uniform items or traffic pylons.

There's not some liberal conspiracy to gut logistics within the very conservative, and often risk-averse thing known as US ground forces. Push logistics remain the standard in the US military. The place where people question it is that a very significant amount of manpower and equipment for logistical units is in the reserves and guard. Therefore, there's concern from some that in a snap war, it could take time to mobilize sufficient logistical tail to support initial combat operations of multi-division combat. That's part of why even in theaters with pretty small combat troop footprints, Theater Sustainment Commands and pre-positioned stocks exist. They help stop the gap until rapidly* deployable units show up, followed by other active forces that weren't on rapid recall, followed by mobilized logisticians from reserves and guard. Pull is typical only by exception in lower intensity conflict or for things like very bespoke repair parts or assets controlled at the theater or higher level. Even in low intensity, push is the standard for basic items used even in relative peace-time like CL I, III, and VIII.

The US army push system includes pushing casualty replacement personnel before the casualties are reported, based on general staff estimates. The idea is that later when casualties are reported and better understood where the generic estimate was high or low, units can cross-level. So this push mentality goes beyond just equipment. Eventually, once units are filled or no longer the main contact in a large-scale fight, they transition to a pull system to replace casualties.

A snippet on Class V:

FM 4-0 Sustainment Operations posted:

Ammunition planning includes determining ammunition requirements, echeloning capabilities and
ammunition units, establishing split-based operations where required, pre-configuring ammunition and
resupply, and when required, using civilian, contractor, allied, and host nation capabilities. A combat
configured load is a mixed ammunition package designed to provide for the complete round concept, type of
unit, type of vehicle, capacity of transporter, and weapons system (ATP 4-35). Contents of the package are
predetermined and provide optimum distribution velocity, quality and mix to support a particular weapon
system or unit. Combat configured loads are built at the national-provider level or in a theater. Combat
configured loads built at the national-provider level may be re-configured in theater at an ammunition supply
point as required and delivered as far forward to the using unit as possible.
Sustainment and supported units should consider building combat configured loads to meet the class
V demands for initial entry operations and large-scale combat operations. Configured loads represent a way
of requesting or pushing ammunition rapidly with a mix of all or most of the munitions a weapons platform
or unit needs. Combat configured loads can be quickly distributed to the platform level with little to no
intermediate handling but are resource intensive. Building, storing, transporting, and rebuilding the
configured load with unused class V requires significant amounts of personnel, facilities, haul, and security.

Pushing CL V is critical in the offense, and logisticians put a ton of effort in determining when/where to transition to pushing massive amounts of CL IV to the user when transitioning to the defense.

And if you lose communications with the supported unit, so you don't know what they want?

quote:

Regularly scheduled combat configured loads with packages of potable and non-potable water,
ammunition, fuel, and repair parts tailored to BCT enable offensive momentum and freedom of action. If
communications are degraded, the BSB will automatically push critical supplies to units in the offense.

*rapidly deployable is relative when you're talking heavy equipment arriving from North America to another continent.

Push is the standard; this isn't some old-rear end manual, it's the current one.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

A couple weeks old, but sober English-language analysis of the war is rare enough that it's worth looking at. The author's a retired US Army Lt. Colonel, and the TL;DR is that Russia is fighting a force-preserving war of attrition while meanwhile Ukraine is forced to keep a costly offensive posture to keep Western aid deliveries up.
https://www.russiamatters.org/analysis/whats-ahead-war-ukraine

quote:

What’s Ahead in the War in Ukraine
December 22, 2022
Alex Vershinin

The war in Ukraine has dragged on for nearly 10 months. After an initial Russian cavalry dash seized over 20% of Ukraine, Russian forces then smashed into determined Ukrainian resistance, ending in an embarrassing retreat from Kyiv. From then, the war became an attritional contest between Russia on one side and Ukraine fighting at the head of a Western coalition on the other. During the summer, Russian offensives captured Lyman, Lisichansk and Severo Donetsk. In the fall, Ukrainian offensives recaptured Kharkiv province and Kherson city, shrinking Russian control to roughly 50% of the territories they had captured since Feb. 24, according to one estimate. The opposing sides have adopted two opposing strategies: Russians are fighting a traditional firepower-centric war of attrition; Ukraine is pursuing a terrain-focused war of maneuver. These opposing strategies are as much a product of national resource availability as a deliberate choice. As freezing ground ushers in the winter campaign season, both sides will follow their strategies into limited offensives.

So far both strategies appear to work. Ukraine has recaptured large swaths of territory but exhausted itself during the fall offensive. It suffered frightful losses and depleted key stockpiles of equipment and ammunition. There is still capacity to replace losses and establish new combat formations, but those are rapidly withering.

I believe that neither side will achieve spectacular territorial gain, but the Russian side is more likely to achieve its goals of draining Ukrainian resources while preserving its own.

The Ukrainian Strategy
The Ukrainians’ terrain-focused war of maneuver is constrained by two factors: limited artillery ammunition and equipment production, and coalition considerations. Ukraine started the war with 1,800 artillery pieces of Soviet caliber. These allowed firing rates of 6,000 to 7,000 rounds a day against 40,000 to 50,000 Russian daily rounds. By now this artillery is mostly out of ammunition, and in its place Ukraine is using 350 Western caliber artillery pieces, many of which are destroyed or breaking down from overuse. Meanwhile, Western nations are themselves running out of ammunition; the U.S. is estimated to produce only 15,000 155mm shells a month. This constraint has forced Ukraine to adopt mass infantry formations focused on regaining territory at any cost. Ukraine simply cannot go toe to toe with Russia in artillery battles. Unless Ukrainian troops close to direct fire fights with Russian troops, there is a significant chance that they will be destroyed at a distance by Russian artillery.

Ukraine’s second constraint is the coalition nature of its warfare. Since running out of its own stocks, Ukraine is increasingly reliant on Western weaponry. Maintaining the Western coalition is crucial to the Ukrainian war effort. Without a constant string of victories, domestic economic concern may cause coalition members to defect. If Western support dries up due to depletion of stock or of political will, Ukraine’s war effort collapses for lack of supplies. In some ways, Ukraine has no choice but to launch attacks no matter the human and material cost.

Ukraine built an infantry-centric army of highly motivated conscripted troops with limited to no training. They support the core fighting force of the prewar professional army and about 14 new brigades equipped with Western-donated weapons and vehicles. On the battlefield, strike groups attack quickly, penetrating deep and fast, then hand over captured areas to draftees to defend. This tactic worked well in areas where the shortage of Russian manpower prevented a solid front, such as in the Kharkiv region. In the Kherson region, where Russia had sufficient density of forces, this tactic resulted in large casualties and little progress, until logistic issues caused Russia to retreat.

The Achilles heel of this strategy is manpower. Ukraine started the war with 43 million citizens and 5 million military-aged males, but according to the U.N., 14.3 million Ukrainians have fled the war, and a further 9 million are in Crimea or other Russian-occupied territories. This means Ukraine is down to about 20 to 27 million people. At this ratio, it has less than 3 million draftable men. A million have been drafted already, and many of the rest are either not physically fit to serve or occupy a vital position in the nation’s economy. In short, Ukraine might be running out of men, in my view.

The Russian Strategy
The Russian forces are limited by manpower but strengthened by massive artillery and equipment stockpiles enabled by a robust military industrial complex. While there have been numerous reports in Western media that the Russian army is running out of artillery ammunition, so far there’s been no visible slacking of Russian artillery fire on any front. Based on these factors, the Russian side has relied on a traditional firepower-centric war of attrition. The goal is to force an unsustainable casualty rate, destroying Ukrainian manpower and equipment, while preserving Russia’s own forces. Territory is not important; its loss is acceptable to preserve combat power. At Kyiv, Kharkiv and Kherson, the Russian army refused to fight under unfavorable conditions and withdrew, accepting the political cost to preserve its forces.

To execute this strategy, the Russian army relies on firepower, particularly its artillery. Each Russian brigade has three artillery battalions compared to just one in each Western brigade. Paired with correction by massed quantities of UAVs and quadcopters, Russian artillery pulverizes Ukrainian forces before infantry mops up survivors. It is a slow, grinding war, but with a casualty ratio that is significantly in Russia’s favor. Russia couldn’t attack because it lacked the manpower to secure the flanks of advancing troops. Up to now, Russians could only advance in Donbas, where advance did not extend the frontline. Even here the intent was more to draw in Ukrainian forces and destroy them rather than capture the city of Bakhmut. Mobilization has the potential to overcome Russia’s manpower shortages and enable offensive operations, while equipping its forces is possible due to the mobilization of industry. Precision munition production is also up, despite consistent doubt in Western press. Video of strikes by Russian "Lancet 3” loitering kamikaze drones is up up by 1,000% since Oct. 13, according to one estimate, indicating a major increase in production.

The Coming Winter
If the Ukrainians decide to launch a major offensive, they could do so in two places, in my view. The first is in the north, in the Kharkiv region, but limited crossing over the Oskil River generates the same logistical challenges the Russians faced at Kherson. The second is in the south, to cut off the Russian land bridge to Crimea, eventually capturing the peninsula. This is unlikely to succeed. The Ukrainian army would be attacking in terrain ideal for Russian artillery. It could become a repeat of the battle at Kherson, but without Russian logistics difficulties, stemming from a limited number of crossings over the Dnipro River, with just as little gain and the same heavy losses marked by whole mechanized companies wiped out, endless scenes of ambulance convoys and new cemeteries all over Ukraine. The levels of attrition would play right into Russian hands. The political pressure on the Ukrainian government to justify the losses taken from Russian artillery in Donbas by retaking territory elsewhere, as well as the pressure from the Western coalition, may drive Ukraine to attack regardless.

For the Russian leadership the question is: When and where to attack? The timing depends on Russian artillery ammunition stocks. If they are high, Russia may attack in winter, otherwise it may stockpile and attack in spring after the mud season. Timing is also driven by the training requirements for the mobilized reservists. Longer training increases the effectiveness of the reservists and reduces casualties, thus lowering political risk for the Kremlin. Ultimately, the pressures that the Russian leadership views as most important will decide the outcome. Will the pressure from domestic politics for a quick victory win out, or will military considerations favor delaying until the end of spring mud season in March/April? So far, the Kremlin has gone with military considerations ahead of political ones, suggesting that Russia will launch only a limited offensive this winter.

Location is another factor. The Kharkiv front is heavily wooded, restricting the effectiveness of firepower, and it is strategically meaningless without attacking the city of Kharkiv. This major urban center would take months to capture at very high cost. A limited attack to regain the Oskil River line would improve Russia’s defensive line but present no strategic gain. In Donbas, the Russian army is already maintaining pressure. Extra manpower and artillery units won’t speed up that offensive much. For the Russian army, the Zaporizhzhia front holds the most promise. The Pologi-Gulai Polie-Pokrovskoye railroad is ideally placed to supply a Russian offensive driving north from Pologi. Eventually capturing Pavlograd would allow the capture of Donbas by cutting off two main railroads and highways supplying the Ukrainian army in Donbas and attacking the Ukrainian army there from the rear. The open terrain is ideal for the Russian firepower-centric strategy, and a chance to draw in and destroy the last of the Ukrainian operational reserves and further attrite its manpower is directly in line with Russian objectives. Lastly, the hard frozen ground would make new defensive positions hard to dig without heavy equipment. The limited attack vicinity of Ugledar could be a shaping operation to secure the eastern flank of the future offensive.

Conclusion
Wars of attrition are won through careful husbandry of one’s own resources while destroying the enemy’s. Russia entered the war with vast materiel superiority and a greater industrial base to sustain and replace losses. They have carefully preserved their resources, withdrawing every time the tactical situation turned against them. Ukraine started the war with a smaller resource pool and relied on the Western coalition to sustain its war effort. This dependency pressured Ukraine into a series of tactically successful offensives, which consumed strategic resources that Ukraine will struggle to replace in full, in my view. The real question isn’t whether Ukraine can regain all its territory, but whether it can inflict sufficient losses on Russian mobilized reservists to undermine Russia’s domestic unity, forcing it to the negotiation table on Ukrainian terms, or will Russian’ attrition strategy work to annex an even larger portion of Ukraine.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It's funny because in the past 5-10 years there have been some very good logistics history books on WW2 and even the ACW and Indochina come out that focussed on, for example, the Allied strategy in the MTO to just bury the Germans in materiel, while modern texts are (to me) just middle manager gibberish. In War of Supply: World War II Allied Logistics in the Mediterranean, which I think is a great read and accessible case study, it's pointed out that because the Med was both very far from home ports and dangerous to supply due to the Axis air and submarine threat, the Allies just sent huge quantities of everything into the system, knowing there was a lag and so there would be a large accumulation of surplus in the theatre.

There are some good ordnance studies and surveys there because it was a "testing" ground for the expected fight in Northwest Europe, so for example improvements to the Sherman were made on the basis of combat experience, and what stands out is that obsolete equipment was expected to be a feature of life there, as it had in actuality been dispatched many months, even a year, earlier then stockpiled before going into action. So that it will say, "crews generally liked the Sherman...some suggested the hatch be changed to X..." but go on to say that modification had already been made on the assembly line, that it would take months for those tanks to be delivered to units in the UK, that no Shermans of that specific type would ever be sent to the Med, and that the parts to make workshop level modifications might reach them some time the following year. It's just really interesting. You can see things like units still going into action in Grants while they're practically already making Sherman 76s. Lots and lots of equipment, aircraft, vehicles saw service there all the way until 1945 despite notionally being obsolete a year or even two earlier, because so many had been shipped there already. The 75mm SP Autocar M3, A-36A, and Havoc I / Boston III come to mind. New Guinea was somewhat similar in this regard as was CBI.

Anyways all of this goes against modern notions of how these things should work. If you've played Gary Grigsby's games you get an idea of this sort of thing. Just ship aircraft, enough that there'll be parts and spares even when it's obsolete, and don't worry about trying to get the new model of P-38 to a squadron halfway around the world.

By contrast, this is from Military Logistics: Research Advances and Future Trends:

e: For example of the MTO, the Canadians used Thompsons instead of Stens, which happened nowhere else, and wore brown British battledress instead of Canadian green, because they were using British stocks of clothing and ammunition that had been established long before they arrived. Similarly, the Commonwealth used Sherman 76s in 1945 instead of Fireflies, and even received Sherman 105s. The reason being that there were huge American stocks of tanks and ammunition in the Med, it was difficult to get convoys there anyway, so it was simple enough to just use that rather than Cromwells and other CW specific vehicles, even Sherman variants.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 02:24 on Jan 7, 2023

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

Anyways all of this goes against modern notions of how these things should work.

This is just because you are under-informed on modern thinking on logistics and large scale combat.

It seems you are assuming that major combat military logistical planners are private sector neoliberals and haven’t heard of major wars, when that just isn’t true.

Push, pre-positioning, field-identified defects/upgrades, those are all things already talked about.

You will get combat arms guys being incredulous with how logisticians will supply if they don’t know every nook and cranny of a plan, and the logisticians know the plan is “Push a fuckton of stuff” after perusing the fires annex and making sure they’re informed of transitions to defense or if a major LOC is threatened or closed.

There are private sector techbros who think they can disrupt their way out of trains and ships, but they don’t get much purchase in the logistics realm. They can make money in the C4I realm instead…

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

Unless I am doing the math wrong, 2.6 million tons, 16 million rounds per ton, 60 thousand per day is enough to last 2 years without even producing anything at all. Even if half of that was used up between 2013 and 2022, it would still be enough for almost a year.

I mean the post contradict each other, on one hand you need “hundred of factories(?)” to put up with that many shells and in the other hand you can at least a couple million tons of ammo around that should last 1-2 years.

Also, I don’t know if pre-war ammo production numbers are they useful since it is clear the industry has been ramping up,

I could buy a logistics issue with ammo having to be transferred from smaller dumps, but part of the narrative is now Russian shelling “is almost as slow as the Ukrainians” which is what 1,000-2,000 rounds a day? But also the Russians seem to be conducting strikes seeming far larger than that?

Also, stockpiles and production only matter so much if there are actual logistics bottlenecks.

GlassElephant
Oct 25, 2009

Schwere Panzerabteilung 502
Discovered they were Glass Elephants, 27 APR 45

sum posted:

A couple weeks old, but sober English-language analysis of the war is rare enough that it's worth looking at. The author's a retired US Army Lt. Colonel, and the TL;DR is that Russia is fighting a force-preserving war of attrition while meanwhile Ukraine is forced to keep a costly offensive posture to keep Western aid deliveries up.

quote:

At this ratio, it has less than 3 million draftable men. A million have been drafted already, and many of the rest are either not physically fit to serve or occupy a vital position in the nation’s economy. In short, Ukraine might be running out of men, in my view.

He should explain how many casualties he thinks Ukraine has already taken to really flesh out that thought. He's like one of the enthusiastic twitter posters who thinks that Ukraine's army has already been destroyed and rebuilt at least twice.

GlassElephant has issued a correction as of 02:49 on Jan 7, 2023

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

sum posted:

It's pretty boring in this thread but that's because Russian sources aren't rejected immediately on a knee-jerk basis while taking Ukrainian intelligence and pro-west Russian liberal statements as unvarnished truth. Links used as citations are pretty interesting because there's the usual papers of records in there as well as rybar/boris_rozhin/etc. telegrams and twitter posts in there.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Sounds like Russia is playing a...

... Shell game

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

Sounds like Russia is playing a...

... Shell game

ok. pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
To be clear a “million drafted” may also include police and other security forces that aren’t AFU or territorial militia. I would say Ukraine’s total manpool figure is difficult to figure out, Russian social media is claiming that the Ukrainian government is starting to seriously clamp down on draft dodging but again that their claim.

One thing though is the farther you “go down the list” you are going to probably find less willing and able conscripts. You don’t want to end up scraping the barrel.