Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
he was definitely supposed to be the heir apparent to Posey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

Wasn't Bart supposed to be like a slam dunk every day AS catcher?

I thought he was always supposed to be a power-over-hit guy, but he was at least supposed to be good enough defensively and have enough of that power to play every day. Not sure about the AS stuff.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

There's no such thing, which is why when you have one, you're supposed to let them walk and make no effort to retain them.

lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So my memory appears to have exaggerated the scouting report on him a bit, but back in 2020 when Bart was the Giants' top prospect the reports were pretty glowing, labeling him as a GG catcher with pop who's banging on the door so hard the Giants might have to bump Posey to 1B

quote:

The Atlantic Coast Conference player of the year and defensive player of the year in 2018, Bart went No. 2 overall to the Giants that June and set a since-broken record for the largest up-front bonus given to a drafted position player ($7,025,000). He reached Double-A in his first full pro season despite missing six weeks after a pitch broke a bone in his left hand, then tore up the Arizona Fall League until he got hit by another pitch and fractured his right thumb. Though San Francisco has tried to avoid rushing him, he could push Buster Posey to another position by the end of 2020.

Bart has more raw power than most catchers, the product of bat speed, strength and leverage in his 6-foot-2 frame. Though most of the righty-hitting slugger's homers come to his pull side, he has legitimate pop to all fields. While he doesn't get caught up swinging for the fences, he'll need to be more selective at the plate in order to hit for average.

There were questions about Bart's ability to stay behind the plate when he was in high school, but he continually has improved and now has Gold Glove upside. He has worked diligently to become a quality receiver, possesses a strong and accurate arm and blocks balls well. He also has a knack for calling pitches and the leadership qualities desired at his position.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

So my memory appears to have exaggerated the scouting report on him a bit, but back in 2020 when Bart was the Giants' top prospect the reports were pretty glowing, labeling him as a GG catcher with pop who's banging on the door so hard the Giants might have to bump Posey to 1B

You do also have to remember that Posey did not look good in 2019 (84 wRC+, only 1.8 fWAR overall in 114 games), so it was a slightly more reasonable guess.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

And the Red Sox posted a related video
https://twitter.com/RedSox/status/1611461854206763014

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Cal Raleigh is the catcher Joey Bart was supposed to be

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Bart was one of the prospects who got screwed by covid. He was nowhere near ready in 2020, but Buster sat out the season and there was no plan b. Then Posey retired last year. He's had to work on plate discipline, pitch recognition etc at the big league level. Some of the shine is off. He whiffs way too much at breaking balls. But he's already a good defensive catcher with pop, and there's upside beyond that

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Dodgers could use both of these players right now

https://twitter.com/kikehndez/status/1611476710645727232

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Seems odd they'd extend Devers and then immediately pick up another 3B, but maybe Turner's just going to DH?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Reynolds isn't signing for 12.5AAV in this market.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

We still waiting on the Dodgers to release Bauer? I think they end up keeping him after all.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Some Numbers posted:

Seems odd they'd extend Devers and then immediately pick up another 3B, but maybe Turner's just going to DH?

They agreed to terms with Turner before Raffy agreed to his big deal, but the thinking has always been that Turner would primarily DH and also provide some depth at first and third.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MrMidnight posted:

We still waiting on the Dodgers to release Bauer? I think they end up keeping him after all.

Remember it's still 1 pm in California

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

Remember it's still 1 pm in California

It's almost 4 p.m. in California.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It is 4pm here and the Dodgers haven't said poo poo. They are definitely burying bad press as late as possible on a Friday. All in all a pretty awful winter that doesn't make me wanna watch this team! I guess I'll watch Kershaw starts and that's about it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pretty sure they will just announce the release at 5 PM local

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If they were gonna release him they'd have announced it already. What is the benefit of burying that news?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Trying to swing a trade, maybe?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Dodgers/status/1611517010554523649

He gone. Honestly, I didn't think there was any chance LAD were gonna keep him.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Man after all the preamble I was worried they were going to say that due process was followed and he deserves the right to play etc etc

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

zoux posted:

this reads exactly like "he's staying" right up until the last sentence.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

Man after all the preamble I was worried they were going to say that due process was followed and he deserves the right to play etc etc

lmao same. Whoever wrote the statement needs to take a Freshman writing class: if you're delivering good news, lead with it!

Now I guess it's time to see what team if any figures to bring in this shithead for pennies on the dollar.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

And on January 6th too. Way to ruin Bauer's holiday.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

zoux posted:

lmao

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

zoux posted:

I was fully ready for the "And that's why we are going to make him complete a sensitivity training program prior to Spring Training." to end that statement, phew.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

good job Dodgers

now to see the race to the bottom to who actually wants to sign the pest

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WHere's Taubmann working these days

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

That was a cock-tease statement. Well done to the Dodgers for sticking to their principles.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

loving lmao at the entire statement emphasizing the rights of the accused and none of it emphasizing the awful nature of his transgressions

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Both Mize and Bart were seen as easy choices in the 2018 draft and have been really crummy in the majors.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

That was a cock-tease statement. Well done to the Dodgers for sticking to their principles.
They didn't even mention principles. It's a paragraph of covering their rear end about the detailed nature of the investigation and one completely judgment-neutral sentence that he's been cut.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Seemed very much like a "don't complain, MLBPA" sort of statement

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
I'm a bit at a loss on who the obvious team to sign him is.

There are way less outwardly terrible owners nowadays I guess. Everyone is either a faceless conglomerate or a finance guy.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm glad the Astros have so much starting pitching depth

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

bawfuls posted:

They didn't even mention principles. It's a paragraph of covering their rear end about the detailed nature of the investigation and one completely judgment-neutral sentence that he's been cut.

I interpreted it as a a thorough laying out of the case for the idiots that would be up in arms about dumping him.

I assume a gif of Hawk Harrelson saying "He gone" would be sufficient (and satisfying) for most of SAS.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

lol what the gently caress

https://twitter.com/FabianArdaya/status/1611525205008207872

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I interpreted it as a a thorough laying out of the case for the idiots that would be up in arms about dumping him.

I assume a gif of Hawk Harrelson saying "He gone" would be sufficient (and satisfying) for most of SAS.
They could have also included at least one statement explicitly stating their principles on this issue. Some boilerplate PR-speak about how seriously they take domestic violence or whatever. But it's all cover-our-rear end Bauer-defense.

Whatever, thank god he's gone, but the way the organization handled this whole saga definitely lowered my opinion of the people in charge.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

zoux posted:

Hell yeah.

Good job dodgers you did what you were supposed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I'm hoping that whatever else an organization could overlook, he's just too obviously impossible to deal with to bother taking the chance, as in the above.