Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
What’s the conservative argument for term limits? Is it meant to defang effective Democrat politicians and put seats in play more frequently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Since when do they have a stiffy for term limits?

The US is slowly losing patience with being ruled by a cabal of geriatrics and term limits are the "fairest" way to get rid of them

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Gyges posted:

Just :lol: if McCarthy's last ditch effort to win the vote this week was telling everyone he had the votes and then just hoping Crane and Rosendale would just fold because they believed the other guy did.

If Crane and Rosendale don't fold the whole deal falls apart I think.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1611497587781107714
Sheesh

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

illcendiary posted:

What’s the conservative argument for term limits? Is it meant to defang effective Democrat politicians and put seats in play more frequently?

Can't form effective long-term governance if nobody is able to stay long enough to figure it out and network with the non-limited civil service roles. Think about the brain-drain effect in corporations that use limited-term contractors for knowledge roles; the next person spends half their time just figuring out what their predecessor left for them, gets into their groove, and then gets shown to the door. Now, apply that to public policy and a complex bureaucracy. It's easier to claim government is useless/ineffective when you force it to be useless/ineffective. :haw:

(Arch-lich Feinstein celebrating her quadricentennial in the Senate is a separate issue.)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
when mccarthy buys a new car i wonder how many times the sticker price he ends up paying after negotiations

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Essentially term limits would make it easier for lobbyists to further sink their teeth into people.

e: Mandatory retirement ages might be alright through.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kith posted:

The US is slowly losing patience with being ruled by a cabal of geriatrics and term limits are the "fairest" way to get rid of them

Basically everyone hates how all those Congressers keep getting elected over and over despite sucking. Since they can't get those other people to stop electing people they hate, maybe they can stop the people they hate from running.

Except their guy who's been there since the late Cretaceous. He's great and does his job. Which is why virtually no one has ever gone on to lose their race for breaking their own pledge to term limit themselves.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Essentially term limits would make it easier for lobbyists to further sink their teeth into people.

e: Mandatory retirement ages might be alright through.

In either case, if one doesn't want the lobbyist power, the limit has to be bootstrapped in a way that doesn't affect a very large portion of chamber at once, which is a little tricky, but maybe it can apply to oldest 10% each term for people who were in power when elected or something?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

OddObserver posted:

In either case, if one doesn't want the lobbyist power, the limit has to be bootstrapped in a way that doesn't affect a very large portion of chamber at once, which is a little tricky, but maybe it can apply to oldest 10% each term for people who were in power when elected or something?

You could probably introduce it with a gradual phase in effect, essentially stagger them similar to how Senate elections are staggered. So by State, by Election year Periods i.e anyone elected between 1970 and 1979 for example; or a mix so that some people might be forced into retirement without forcing everyone into retirement; Speaker exempted perhaps.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
To me this is ironically a supply-side problem, you need to find a way of getting more pressure by new people in the process, so you can get more primary upsets like on Cantor and Crowley.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Incumbents really have to gently caress up to get unseated by a challenger, or have their district so radically redrawn that their constituents aren't the same anymore. Forced retirement ages are a little better at letting in new blood; maybe combine it with more generous retirement benefits, structured so the earlier you retire when eligible the better the upfront benefits are.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
it's all red meat poo poo they don't actually care about passing

Just like they'll talk about balanced budgets now but be happy to pass gigantic tax cuts and run up huge deficits

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
phasing in a term limit system on people already in office is an absolute non-starter as those currently in office the longest are almost always the most powerful members who aren't going to accept losing the most from it. It would have to be effective going forward, but even then it's still almost certainly a non-starter in any real way.

Jaxyon posted:

it's all red meat poo poo they don't actually care about passing

Just like they'll talk about balanced budgets now but be happy to pass gigantic tax cuts and run up huge deficits

term limits is different insofar as it's mostly red meat for lobbyists, who are the main ones who would benefit from it

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Nah it's popular among average people who want to "get the bums(except my bum)" out so you can say you support it on your issues page, but it's not going to pass at all.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

wtf is with a 10pm reconvene i want blood and action and drama nowwwww

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
certainly gives the whole thing a weird symmetry to 1/6

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

coelomate posted:

wtf is with a 10pm reconvene i want blood and action and drama nowwwww

hell, same

this has been the most glorious goddamn shitshow in American politics for some time

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I guess technically George (???) Santos (?) is a pretty good parallel plot line that may intersect with this

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
how does a parallel line intersect

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

No speaker means no rules means no geometry :getin:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

A Non-Euclidean Legislature sounds like a Leslie Lamport paper.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Well parallel lines can only never intersect when assuming a evenly flat infinite plane; in our reality where space-time is affected by gravity space is not flat but can bend, which can result in parallel lines intersecting, particularly in wormholes and blackholes iirc; most euclidian geometry is only true on a specific local area.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Welcome to projective geometry. :science:

E: f beaten like Kevin McCarthy

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

George Santos has made no fewer than a dozen parallel lines intersect in his time between Baruch College and Goldman Sachs

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kith posted:

Term limits for Federal offices are presumed to be unconstitutional without an amendment, so every recent effort to pass term limits on a Federal level was attempted through a congressional amendment. (The president only became term-limited after an amendment was successfully enacted)

We are not going to have 2/3 of congress voting in favor of term limits.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
What I'm kind of hoping for is that two of the lovely Six, let's say Boebert and Crane, will fail to respond to their name-call and save their votes for the end... then shout "MCCARTHY!" and RUN for the door carrying comically oversized bags in their hands with "$$$" stenciled on the sides of them.

JUST for the look on Gaetz's face.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

illcendiary posted:

Yes. Also with less congress members with longterm experience in writing legislation, a whole chamber of newbies will be dependent on getting prewritten legislation from ALEC and other bill mills.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

poo poo touche

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
my cents on why term limits are bad. businesses dont do them for all the good high level jobs so gov. should do them either.

ifDonnie can be supa prez ceo for decades why should the gov be able to do it too?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

duck.exe posted:

Yes. Also with less congress members with longterm experience in writing legislation, a whole chamber of newbies will be dependent on getting prewritten legislation from ALEC and other bill mills.

...would that be substantially different from what we have now?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

delfin posted:

What I'm kind of hoping for is that two of the lovely Six, let's say Boebert and Crane, will fail to respond to their name-call and save their votes for the end... then shout "MCCARTHY!" and RUN for the door carrying comically oversized bags in their hands with "$$$" stenciled on the sides of them.

JUST for the look on Gaetz's face.

A true grifter would go to the podium with their comical money bag, thank McCarthy for the gift, then vote Kevin.....Hern, before staring McCarthy in the eyes as they slowly retake their seat.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/TonyGonzales4TX/status/1611524269602918400?t=guojAOdW9M_ssT5I0VDLzg&s=19

McCarthy loyalists don't want to reward the crazies. He might get 218 votes for speaker, but he's not going to be able to pass a rules package and without that there is no majority

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Term limits are fine if you have them long enough. 4 terms in the Senate and 10 in the House is enough that you aren’t losing institutional knowledge or good public servants but short enough that you are getting rid of people before they are absolute ghouls that have long outlived their usefulness. Most don’t reach those points anyway before they are voted out or move on.

Personally I’d probably prefer the time closer to 15 years for both and make the House on a 3 year term but I know that would likely be a non-starter. But if you can’t get what you want accomplished in 15-20 years in a branch of government then that is on you frankly.

One plus would be a lot of people who are on their last term will likely not give a gently caress and break with their party more.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Charlz Guybon posted:

https://twitter.com/TonyGonzales4TX/status/1611524269602918400?t=guojAOdW9M_ssT5I0VDLzg&s=19

McCarthy loyalists don't want to reward the crazies. He might get 218 votes for speaker, but he's not going to be able to pass a rules package and without that there is no majority

So, if we have a Speaker but no rules, do we at least have a House of Representatives playing Calvinball?

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
I always thought 24 years for both was a nice fit. Four senate terms, twelve congressional terms.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BoozyBadger/status/1611528197316947969?t=6nPYHiaBsZ9DhsUZP9uFWQ&s=19

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I'm surprised those boxes still have any structural integrity with the amount of oil seeping through the bags of fries.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Gyges posted:

So, if we have a Speaker but no rules, do we at least have a House of Representatives playing Calvinball?

If there are no rules, there is a Speaker in name only and nothing can be done.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Meatball posted:

I always thought 24 years for both was a nice fit. Four senate terms, twelve congressional terms.

I'd want the House terms lengthened to 4 years, split them into to two cohorts. Half elected in the presidential year, half during the midterms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
beta incel Donnie tries to feed cold McD to football champs.

slightly better beta Kevin springs for fastcas Five Guys.