Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Tagichatn posted:

Does it work for the whole team? Because the wording makes it sound like it works for the psyker as long as they have allies in coherency.

The datamining steam guide says this:

quote:

Grants cooldown to whoever lands last hit on the unit.
Applies to both Elite and Special kill.
Benefit Psykinetic too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

They need to add DLC (free DLC, mind you, to make up for the lovely launch.) That adds Khorne, Orks, Necrons, & Tyranids. All on the same map, all fighting each other and all fighting you.

All the big bads in 40k showed up for a party at your house and they forgot to tell you. And you have to gently but firmly tell them you have work in the morning.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Typical Pubbie posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkTide/c...nt=share_button

There's a lot to complain about with Darktide, but players who whine about being thrown a curve ball like this really annoy me. The need to win, and by extension for the game to play fair, when the whole conceit is that you're literally going up against million to one odds. Just suck it up and have fun!

can't you just, like, crouch-walk up and rescue the person? I've got pretty drat close to daemonhosts without triggering them just by crouch-walking.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can you avoid triggering them by crouch-walking? I thought it was proximity-based.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I believe flashlights also make them mad?

Never tested it myself, though.

Passburger
May 4, 2013
Did :fatshark: finally gently caress up the Armoury Exchange?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Vargs posted:

The datamining steam guide says this:

Huh, well now I know. The wording is really bad for that one.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Jerkface posted:

The end of the vox transmission says whats lurking in the sublevels right now is "not human" and "has never been human" - either this is pointing to purestrain genestealers or we might get some full on daemon enemies like plaguebearers and nurglings and stuff.

Either one is cool, may it come swiftly.

The phrasing strongly suggests genestealers.

It's worded as a correction to an assumption that the threat is/was human. A purely alien faction like orks or necrons would not warrant that distinction.

A genestealer cult, where human/alien hybrids are being controlled by hidden aliens, definitely fits.

I am not really sure what distinct gameplay that would add though since it just seems like an army of fanatics wirh improvised weapons under a different banner.

"Watch out for the Pox, I mean Hive Rager!"

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Jimbot posted:

Can you avoid triggering them by crouch-walking? I thought it was proximity-based.

It depends, if a daemon host is in its unalerted phase you can get away with crouching walking up pretty close to it. The problem is when it's gone into alert status, aka it's floating upright and has a green glow around it.

Like in that screenshot. Tbh the reddit post is pretty whine-y as it's the sort of edge case that was probably gonna get removed anyway.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
The statistical likelihood is that other civilisations will arise. One day players will no longer respawn next to Daemonheads. Till then, there will be a short delay.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Roumba posted:

i no joke first pass read this as fleshlights make them mad.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I just met my first person very mad that I didn't have a +Wounds curio on. :rolleye:

I get it. It's more optimal. No, I don't have one on. Yes, we'll be fine on Heresy.

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Roumba posted:

It does, replying for a friend.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I've mentioned it before, but it may bear repeating. There's possibly been some lore snippets that mention Nurgle infested Genestealers and Tyranids. I think it was, like, a Rogue Trader thing, but hey!

I'm guessing we're going to be up against actual Daemons now, though.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 7, 2023

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
It would've been cool, but incredibly niche, if the enemies were all just creations of Bile. Would allow for crazy amounts of visual variety

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I am... tempted to buy this. I've never really messed around with the one handed chainsword, but those blessings sound really wild.

Internet Explorer posted:

I just met my first person very mad that I didn't have a +Wounds curio on. :rolleye:

I get it. It's more optimal. No, I don't have one on. Yes, we'll be fine on Heresy.

Is there even a consensus on +wounds being all that? I've been running 3 +health on my zealot for a while now, and I honestly feel like I get more mileage out of it than any other combination. If I had a wounds instead, I'd have 3 bars with 97-100 hp instead of 2 bars with 170 hp each. I see some zealots with nothing but +wounds curios, which I guess is helpful if you're constantly getting downed, but it's pretty hard to go down as a zealot even on damnation.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I don't know what's optimal but I will say I really like running at least one with +3 stamina. Stamina is really handy and I feel like having more of it helps me stay alive, but it could just be psychological. Most of my characters I'm running one stamina and two health curios, though I've kept three health on my ogryn since his stamina is already solid and he gets the biggest benefit from extra health percent.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
give me nurglings or give me death

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

litany of gulps posted:

Is there even a consensus on +wounds being all that? I've been running 3 +health on my zealot for a while now, and I honestly feel like I get more mileage out of it than any other combination. If I had a wounds instead, I'd have 3 bars with 97-100 hp instead of 2 bars with 170 hp each. I see some zealots with nothing but +wounds curios, which I guess is helpful if you're constantly getting downed, but it's pretty hard to go down as a zealot even on damnation.

I ran across this and I assume that's what drove that interaction.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkTide/comments/102zlp4/mathematical_importance_of_taking_a_wound_in/

megane
Jun 20, 2008

ChickenHeart posted:

I want nurglings and I also want a special push animation where you just punt them into the nearest wall

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Internet Explorer posted:

Extra snipers would be an improvement over the extra hounds that sometimes seems to go on for days at a time.

Seriously.

I can at least reliably dodge a sniper and then pick him off with a ranged weapon. But when Dogs show up? Do I dodge? Do I block and push? Do I slash at the last second? Do I switch to ranged and shoot them on the approach?

Any of those might be the right choice, or they might result in launching the dog into the troposphere. Or the dog might just completely ignore it and teleport on top of me and start mauling my throat.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

I like the framing of this - here's a "mathematical" argument in favor of a theory which is entirely based on anecdote and assorted hypotheticals. The core of this argument seems to be that more health won't save you anyway, but I can't count the number of times I've come out of a rough engagement and extra health did save me. I do want to experiment more with high toughness setups, though. Toughness over 100 is supposed to get the full damage block benefits, but it seems like you would need enough over 100 to take at least two hits for that to be a meaningful distinction, right? How much toughness does a poxwalker hit typically remove? I've never really tested or closely watched it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, that made me laugh, too. Here's a bunch of assumptions and then some extremely basic math.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
To be fair the Demonhost is a really badly designed enemy so I don't blame them for being mad about it

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

drrockso20 posted:

To be fair the Demonhost is a really badly designed enemy so I don't blame them for being mad about it

How ao?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

It's game content literally designed to not be interacted with, that is almost always a bad idea, only reason it worked in the L4D games with the Witch is because it worked with the horror movie aesthetic they were going for in those games and the fact that if someone did trip up a Witch it wasn't actually all that hard to kill it, meanwhile the Demonhost is a boss tier enemy(and the most tanky one in the game at that) that will almost definitely kill two of your teammates unless you were lucky enough to have someone be using the one build that trivializes them, and considering swarms, specials, and even other Monstrosities can still spawn in while you're trying to fight it there's a pretty good chance it's going to lead to a team wipe anyways and most damning of all it's not fun to fight nor do you get any reward for fighting it

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

ChickenHeart posted:

I just picture all of the nurgling animations from total war: warhammer happening in first person and I love it

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

litany of gulps posted:

I like the framing of this - here's a "mathematical" argument in favor of a theory which is entirely based on anecdote and assorted hypotheticals. The core of this argument seems to be that more health won't save you anyway, but I can't count the number of times I've come out of a rough engagement and extra health did save me. I do want to experiment more with high toughness setups, though. Toughness over 100 is supposed to get the full damage block benefits, but it seems like you would need enough over 100 to take at least two hits for that to be a meaningful distinction, right? How much toughness does a poxwalker hit typically remove? I've never really tested or closely watched it.

The toughness melee damage reduction is based on a percentage of your total toughness, not the actual value. At 100% toughness, 100% of melee damage is blocked, 85% toughness blocks 85% melee damage on health, etc. It doesn't matter if you have max total of 200 toughness or 50 toughness, if you have less than 100% of your toughness bar filled you'll get health damage bleedthrough.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

skaianDestiny posted:

The toughness melee damage reduction is based on a percentage of your total toughness, not the actual value. At 100% toughness, 100% of melee damage is blocked, 85% toughness blocks 85% melee damage on health, etc. It doesn't matter if you have max total of 200 toughness or 50 toughness, if you have less than 100% of your toughness bar filled you'll get health damage bleedthrough.

Which makes extra toughness not exactly useless but a lot less good than it should be

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

It's game content literally designed to not be interacted with, that is almost always a bad idea, only reason it worked in the L4D games with the Witch is because it worked with the horror movie aesthetic they were going for in those games and the fact that if someone did trip up a Witch it wasn't actually all that hard to kill it, meanwhile the Demonhost is a boss tier enemy(and the most tanky one in the game at that) that will almost definitely kill two of your teammates unless you were lucky enough to have someone be using the one build that trivializes them, and considering swarms, specials, and even other Monstrosities can still spawn in while you're trying to fight it there's a pretty good chance it's going to lead to a team wipe anyways and most damning of all it's not fun to fight nor do you get any reward for fighting it

I'll add that having something that brutally punishes the team while pointing neon signs at the individual who Royally hosed Up is a really good way to spark toxicity.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Man, I'm never going to get this Cliffhanger penance for the Psyker and thus, will never be able to earn that cool red hood and that makes me sad.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

All the monstrosities need to drop gear or materials when killed

AndyElusive posted:

Man, I'm never going to get this Cliffhanger penance for the Psyker and thus, will never be able to earn that cool red hood and that makes me sad.

Play the metal fab mission and wait for the ending extract and try at the smelter area. You get pretty steady streams of guys.

Remember that block pushing also counts so your goal is to get a group of enemies by the edge and ult then block push anyone else close.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

drrockso20 posted:

The Daemonhost is an odd discussion, because while it's punishing (and I feel it should be), it's actually still manageable once you learn what to do when it happens. Been part of a number of pubby groups who've triggered one, and a good amount have managed to handle it fine in the end, with the target defending and dodging while everyone else opens up on it.

Thing is, the same issues mentioned could be said of any of the bosses, and I've had far more wipes on a Plague Ogryn or Beast of Nurgle, as far more hordes or groups spawn in/are around alongside those. They also don't give any reward for dealing with them, and they aren't avoidable either.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 7, 2023

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Jerkface posted:

Play the metal fab mission and wait for the ending extract and try at the smelter area. You get pretty steady streams of guys.

Remember that block pushing also counts so your goal is to get a group of enemies by the edge and ult then block push anyone else close.

:hai: Noted.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Neither monstrosity has the same ferocity and damage output as a daemonhost. Its pretty easy to kite beast without taking any damage and ogryn does require some finesse but also has some easy to avoid attacks. The most wipes that happen during them are when they do an attack that knocks people off a cliff.

DH teleports directly after its victim and opens up a crazy attack string which some classes absolutely cannot deal with unless spec'd perfectly

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I feel pretty good about 3x health curios on zealot and ogryn, can't imagine giving it up for any other option. +Toughness on guardsman I like but could be talked out of. What do y'all like for perks on your curios, tho?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

Jerkface posted:

Neither monstrosity has the same ferocity and damage output as a daemonhost. Its pretty easy to kite beast without taking any damage and ogryn does require some finesse but also has some easy to avoid attacks. The most wipes that happen during them are when they do an attack that knocks people off a cliff.

DH teleports directly after its victim and opens up a crazy attack string which some classes absolutely cannot deal with unless spec'd perfectly

Having had to deal defending against one as a Veteran with a Dagger, it can be done. and again, the other monstrosities are more likely to spawn into or around existing enemies than that Demonhost.

And again, it's avoidable which no other monstrosity is.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

the other good area is at the run back from the hab investigation. You do it on the pipe or where the bridges blow up. Theres also the espionage mission with the bridges that extend into the security building at the end.

Those 2 map and metal fab are good because you get guaranteed enemy swarms.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Make sure you're not using a force sword. The push on that weapon is really weird and probably won't work as well for knocking people off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Feel like if there was a mass Chaos cult uprising *and* a Genestealer infestation on a single world an Inquisitor wouldn't get too much pushback on virus bombing it.

Second energy faction could potentially be in the second hive you're evidently not supposed to talk about. They'd need a few monstrosities, I can only think of a Broodlord/Patriarch and a senior cultist reskin of the captain boss. Although I've not played 40k since way before Genestealer cults got a full Codex.