Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Pron on VHS posted:

Don’t feel like wandering into the politics forum to ask this but: if he’s elected Speaker can McCarthy just choose to not honor all the concessions he made to the freedom caucus nut jobs? Why do people think that won’t happen?

I think they're voting in the speaker and the rules package at the same time. Part of that rules package is a vote of no-confidence only needing a single congressman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Joey Freshwater posted:

Just saw a preview for that Megan movie and that thing can gently caress all the way off

I don't come on here and insult your work lol

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

a neat cape posted:

I got an instant pot for Christmas.

Give me some weeknight instant pot things I can do because I really need to stop going out to eat

Frozen meat (chicken breasts or thighs, or pork loin, or whatever)

Liquid (teriyaki or barbecue or marinade or whatever)

Hit button.

Don’t overthink it. The beauty of the Instant Pot is the simplicity.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, bear in mind you need at minimum a cup of cooking liquid (as the Instant Pot creates pressure via steam), or else the food will burn.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

a neat cape posted:

Give me some weeknight instant pot things I can do because I really need to stop going out to eat

They're great for beef stews. As the other poster said, Costco is a reliable source of ingredients for this sort of thing.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

LeeMajors posted:

My circumstances weren’t unique by any means but nothing changed for me professionally as an :jerkbag: essential worker :jerkbag: and if anything stress went through the roof, then daycare closed, wife went WFH and I lost all avenues of stress relief and/or disengagement other than like afternoon-evening-night porch beers.

Then as things eased up the habit was set, in addition to the social drinking that came back.

I’m sure I’ll miss it at some point but I clearly hadn’t developed any sort of physiological dependency (thank gently caress) and also the emotional load I was implicitly asking my family to carry wasn’t worth it.

Plus I’m officially starting my CAREER CHANGE education on Monday and I have no room for error here.

Yeah, I don’t fault anyone for finding their own ways to cope and it’s going to be a long road back to normal (for the people that took it seriously or bore the brunt of the essential worker tag). I’m glad you seem to be happy with your progress so far!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Definitely agree on wanting to have a clear head for back to school. Is it full four years of EE classes, or did you have some carryover to knock out some of the 101 prereqs? Any cool classes this semester?

Luckily all my social science and gen ed requirements transferred so no real nonsense.

Sadly nothing cool this semester. They accepted my calc I/II/III but I’m starting back at algebra to rebuild the base—especially since it’s been so long and I don’t have to take a bunch of general ed nonsense.

I start engineering courses in earnest probably in fall but there are some intro principles-based courses I can take alongside physics and chemistry refresh.

I’m looking forward to it. I took algebra in 7th grade so I’m hoping it’ll come screaming back once I get into it.

Freaquency posted:

Yeah, I don’t fault anyone for finding their own ways to cope and it’s going to be a long road back to normal (for the people that took it seriously or bore the brunt of the essential worker tag). I’m glad you seem to be happy with your progress so far!

Thanks! It took a lot of introspection and time to get to the point where I felt like the change had to happen but I’m happy to be taking the steps. A new adventure to be sure. If nothing else I’m trying to focus on being more active and present.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 7, 2023

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I finally found the Kids section on Netflix and holy poo poo there are a million transformer, Lego, and power ranger shows now.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Instant Potism:
Boil a cup or so of hot water in your electric kettle.
Put the IP steaming rack in the bottom of the IP.
Put a cube of chicken bouillion (or seafood stock if you have it) into the cooking bowl, melt it with enough of that hot water to leave about a 1cm gap between the rack and the liquid.
Dump some garlic powder in there, to taste. Also Old Bay if you like that enough, and throw in some powdered habanero or cayenne, or dump in your favorite hot sauce (Tapatio recommended for shrimp). If you have any cannabis butter, throw it in now. Keep the overall liquid level that 1cm or so below the bottom of the rack. Don't want to stew the
EXTRA LARGE FROZEN SHRIMP that you got from Costco or Amazon and can dump, frozen & straight out of the bag, onto the rack to the shrimply depth you are looking for.
Sprinkle old bay conservatively over the shrimp.

Chop 4 smallish fingerling potatoes or small red potatoes or new potatoes - or skip this step completely - in half or into roughly large bite size pieces, don't go too small or they'll become sloppy. Sometimes I skip this and just bake frozen fries.
Chop 4 or so very-much-in-season cobs of sweet corn in half, layer them over the top of the frozen shrimp or potato pile.

Shut the lid (doodly-a-doot), close the vent.
Hit the pressure cook button, put it on 'high pressure', and run it for 1 minute with the 'keep warm' function OFF. Then release the vent immediately, dump the rack of stuff into the cooking liquid to rinse off any remaining loose powder grit, then immediately remove and serve so it doesn't keep cooking.

Voila. Shrimp Boil. Douse with lemon and dip in a huge puddle of Tapatio.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

GD_American posted:

Frozen meat (chicken breasts or thighs, or pork loin, or whatever)

Liquid (teriyaki or barbecue or marinade or whatever)

Hit button.

Don’t overthink it. The beauty of the Instant Pot is the simplicity.

You may want to be a little more specific w/r/t what button/setting and times or he'll end up with rare chicken

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I need to do my lawns but covid has me so tired today.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

a neat cape posted:

Salsa chicken.

No wait, hear me out. Get chicken thighs, bone in if possible. Get some really good salsa that I know you can find in San Diego. Pressure cook, shred (removing bones and the cartlidge bits of course), and put on a tortilla with whatever you want. It's super easy, quick, and with good ingredients very tasty.

Bone-in thighs tend to have skin, but it's very easy to remove. Using a knife helps, but you can just slide a finger under the skin and yank it off.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

achillesforever6 posted:

Mostly apathy for me, I like going to bars and parties; but I also see my parents drunk and don't want to act stupid and lose a mental filter when I already can put my foot in my mouth.

Plus now that I'm on HRT, don't want to take anything that can gently caress my liver.

I hate how while the current place I rent from is a good spot in the city I miss my old place; my friend only charged 550$ plus electric, forgoed rent for like 5 months during 2020; and I only had one place to eat out walking distance so I'd walk a mile to get and come back with my grilled chicken sandwich. Also got some nice walking to the Pittsburgh Zoo from there

You are doing HRT? Did you mention that in the thread and I missed it?

Congratulations!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

BlindSite posted:

I need to do my lawns but covid has me so tired today.

Just rest and recharge, comrade!!! The lawn will be there when you are back in your feet :)

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

CannonFodder posted:

Salsa chicken.

No wait, hear me out. Get chicken thighs, bone in if possible. Get some really good salsa that I know you can find in San Diego. Pressure cook, shred (removing bones and the cartlidge bits of course), and put on a tortilla with whatever you want. It's super easy, quick, and with good ingredients very tasty.

Bone-in thighs tend to have skin, but it's very easy to remove. Using a knife helps, but you can just slide a finger under the skin and yank it off.

Doing this tonight

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Samadhi posted:

You may want to be a little more specific w/r/t what button/setting and times or he'll end up with rare chicken

The button literally says "POULTRY".

Timby posted:

Yeah, bear in mind you need at minimum a cup of cooking liquid (as the Instant Pot creates pressure via steam), or else the food will burn.

Worth mentioning. Add stock or just water to make up any difference.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Me sowing: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!! Spaghetti and meatballs with salad and garlic bread! / Me reaping: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress. How are there so many dishes?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Always a bit frustrating how many dishes and tools get dirty from making even simple dishes.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Yeah family of 4, so many drat bowls. Asked wife for paper bowls for Christmas

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Bird in a Blender posted:

I finally found the Kids section on Netflix and holy poo poo there are a million transformer, Lego, and power ranger shows now.

Power rangers got weird for some of the series. They are like, magic ranger fighting inter dimensional evil and the base is with a fairy lady in a tree. They are also magicians in their non power Ranger lives.

There was a movie where the beat the bad guy by bringing back every power Ranger ever to fight. It’s a really weird show universe.

My son went through a power ranger phase where we watched the show a lot.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Neil Armbong posted:

Power rangers got weird for some of the series. They are like, magic ranger fighting inter dimensional evil and the base is with a fairy lady in a tree. They are also magicians in their non power Ranger lives.

There was a movie where the beat the bad guy by bringing back every power Ranger ever to fight. It’s a really weird show universe.

My son went through a power ranger phase where we watched the show a lot.

And that's exactly why when my son asked about it on Netflix I said "we aren't watching that."

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yea they also have a ton of weird South Korean animated shows. Maybe the translation is just bad, but some of them of really weird and awkward.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea they also have a ton of weird South Korean animated shows. Maybe the translation is just bad, but some of them of really weird and awkward.

Some shows are bootleg af. At the start of COVID my wife and I were on zoom all day so our son got to watch a lot of Netflix. Super kicko speedo from India was the kind of bad you can’t look away from.

https://youtu.be/MiQ0Pl-hzFg

There was also a talking train show from Korea where the protagonist train had amnesia after an accident and the like traveled through portals.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 7, 2023

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

You say "cooking makes too many dirty dishes", I hear "I haven't heard the good news of our lord and savior, Bosch dishwashers"

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Neil Armbong posted:

There was also a talking train show from Korea where the protagonist train had amnesia after an accident and the like traveled through portals.

Yes, Robot Trains, it’s not good, and I have no clue what is supposed to be going on.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/theScore/status/1611232027021570049

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Blowjob Overtime posted:

You say "cooking makes too many dirty dishes", I hear "I haven't heard the good news of our lord and savior, Bosch dishwashers"

Dishwasher that came with our house kind of sucks and my wife has openly talked about getting a Bosch. Her birthday is at the end of the month so I briefly thought about getting her one as a present. Then I realized that would immediately be the death of our relationship and shortly thereafter the death of me.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Blowjob Overtime posted:

PBUB

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Silly Burrito posted:

Paramedic Arg
Dr Feelgood
House Speaker
Cinnamon Bear
The TFF Avenger

Whether these are less lovely or more is purely your opinion

Ok I feel like there's a story here ...

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/garygrumbach/status/1611520935680479232?s=46&t=BT4SWJJDJLyWHRbFVr5y0Q

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

smh, this guy isn’t cut out for the job at all. If he’d started with Ben’s Chili Bowl he’d already be speaker

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

If they wheeled five guys out of the Capitol instead, McCarthy would already be Speaker! :stat: :wal:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Ok I feel like there's a story here ...

Truthfully it popped on the TV in one of our pictures of the kids and it sounded good.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Dishwasher that came with our house kind of sucks and my wife has openly talked about getting a Bosch. Her birthday is at the end of the month so I briefly thought about getting her one as a present. Then I realized that would immediately be the death of our relationship and shortly thereafter the death of me.

I’ve gotten Braks’ some All-Clad and she was surprised but she liked it. I also got her a Twinkly Christmas tree for her birthday because she’s wanted one for years and she gave me a bit of the side eye. So buyer beware.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Instant Pot stuff - it is fantastic for making Indian food. Throw in chicken or other meat, spices, maybe paneer, yogurt, good to go.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Abugadu posted:

Instant Pot stuff - it is fantastic for making Indian food. Throw in chicken or other meat, spices, maybe paneer, yogurt, good to go.

Post some recipes, I think I've only ever made butter chicken in it

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Now I want chickpea curry!!!

I got a instant pot last year but I’ve only used it a few times

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
The instapot can easily do squashes/pumpkins whole, so you don't need to do the hard parts of cleaning it while it is raw. The Afghan Kadu (though I think it might just mean pumpkin) dishes are fairly easy to make, just toss a pumpkin in and cook it. Skinning and removing the seeds is super easy when it is cooked, then cover the chunks of it with a yogurt sauce and optional ground beef/lamb.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

thank you all for the ideas.

I am gonna have fun with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Not all of the dishes fit in the previously empty dishwasher. I ended up handwashing the big pasta pot and the rest was fine it was more of "How do I get all these dishes in there? Where did they all come from?"

Cooking for 4, using different salad bowls than spaghetti bowls, glasses, two pots, strainer, pan for garlic bread. At least the meatballs were pre-made.