Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If stacking toughness isn't good, then either the curios don't matter much or I am really good at this game, because I stack toughness on all my characters and seem to do well. And I don't think I'm really good at this game, so stacking toughness must work pretty well or it doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Pharmaskittle posted:

What do y'all like for perks on your curios, tho?

Followup question - does the corruption reduction stuff actually work? And do multiple -damage modifiers against specific types of enemies stack? Or are these mysteries.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
grim corruption and monster corruption are different resistances. They seem to work though.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

litany of gulps posted:

Followup question - does the corruption reduction stuff actually work? And do multiple -damage modifiers against specific types of enemies stack? Or are these mysteries.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkTide/comments/zhu85k/grimoire_corruption_explained_and_why_corruption/

tl;dr the basic corruption resistance is okay but the grimoire resistance doesn't do anything.

Personally I don't re-roll a corruption resistance but I don't seek it out when re-rolling. It's okay because it applies to stuff like tox bursters, who are very dangerous IMO.

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 7, 2023

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Pharmaskittle posted:

I feel pretty good about 3x health curios on zealot and ogryn, can't imagine giving it up for any other option. +Toughness on guardsman I like but could be talked out of. What do y'all like for perks on your curios, tho?

All my curios have multiple perks, but I have two with 20% sniper damage reduction, and even though I don't usually take sniper damage, it's fantastic when I need it. Nothing like being able to tank 3 or 4 sniper shots without needing to dodge, while I suss out where the sniper is hiding behind a horde of scab shooters.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Pharmaskittle posted:

What do y'all like for perks on your curios, tho?

The consensus seems to be that sniper and gunner resistance is very good.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Sniper is nasty but I honestly think shotgunner may be the nastiest Fatshark special yet. It's quiet, blends in, and can chunk 1/3rd of your health

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Plague Ogryn and Beast of Nurgle are both a joke compared to VT2 monsters imo. About on the level of the Stormfiend. Certainly not anywhere near the same league of scary as a Chaos Spawn or Minotaur.

It's a lot easier to have setups that chew through them super quick as well. Meanwhile to do the same in Vermintide you need a Bounty Hunter (one of 19 classes) who's carrying around a discipline potion and is skilled enough to rapid fire chain headshot his ult without missing or being interrupted.

terrorist ambulance posted:

Sniper is nasty but I honestly think shotgunner may be the nastiest Fatshark special yet. It's quiet, blends in, and can chunk 1/3rd of your health

They're pretty rough. If there was a park to mitigate their damage I would definitely go for it. Unfortunately the gunner one does not apply, so snipers it is.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czfopZHbZ9c

Internet Explorer posted:

If stacking toughness isn't good, then either the curios don't matter much or I am really good at this game, because I stack toughness on all my characters and seem to do well. And I don't think I'm really good at this game, so stacking toughness must work pretty well or it doesn't matter.

I mean, what difficulty are you playing at?

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
Stacking toughness is nice because toughness is a renewable resource vs shooters and you get more back from % based toughness

Stacking toughness is less nice when you run out of toughness because it's more toughness you have to regenerate to get to 100% to negate the next melee hit

I run 1 wound 1 toughness 1 health and it works out decent

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Finally tried out the Ogryn. I take it all back. Ragdolling everyone with the club is so much fun.

I couldn't help myself and got the outfit with the leopard print pants.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Is there any argument to boost stamina? My veteran uses it for Deadshot, but I think it just deepens the pool and it will take longer to fill back up, not sure it's worth it.

Do I sometimes get an extra wound from somewhere? I only have +1 for a total of three but sometimes I look and have 4.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Haha even the voice actor was getting flustered by the end

BizarroAzrael posted:

Do I sometimes get an extra wound from somewhere? I only have +1 for a total of three but sometimes I look and have 4.

You get 3 base wounds on difficulties 1 to 3, and 2 base wounds on 4 and 5

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

skaianDestiny posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czfopZHbZ9c

I mean, what difficulty are you playing at?

Heresy and Damnation. Damnation with all but Psyker.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is there any argument to boost stamina? My veteran uses it for Deadshot, but I think it just deepens the pool and it will take longer to fill back up, not sure it's worth it.

stacking stamina is not worth for vet because Deadshot takes % not flat

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Not that it isn't good, it's just that the explanation of how toughness actually works isn't clear. If it is percentage based, then...

Consider, for example at 100 toughness - if a poxwalker knocks off 15 of your toughness with a single hit, then the first hit does 0 damage and the second hit does 2 damaage (15 reduced by 85%). A third hit in rapid succession would do 4-5. I just made up the 15 number, but that feels about right. Then any quick hits soon after will do increasingly significant damage. If you've got three tricked out toughness curios, you might have 160 toughness. The same poxwalker hits you for 15 toughness, then the second hit might only do 1 damage, depending on how the rounding works (15 reduced by 90.6%). This could be overall be a very significant amount of overall damage reduced. It's just that there isn't a lot of clarity about how these mechanics work. My question was operating under the assumption that toughness of 100 was some magic number, because I've heard that toughness of 100 negates damage. But I guess the more accurate answer is that toughness of 100% negates damage, not the number itself.

If you're playing a veteran and getting 90 or whatever toughness from your curios, that likely changes the calculations hugely in your favor, especially if you have perks and ways of maintaining high toughness. As a zealot, I have a lot of passive and active toughness regeneration outside of the regular coherency regen. Toughness has sort of intuitively felt weak because it comes and goes so quickly in comparison to the much solider feel of health, but the percentage based explanation helps with understanding all of that as well.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

These are my current vet curios:

17% toughness
  • +10% Stamina Reg
  • +5% Max Health
  • +15% Damage Resist (Gunners)

19% Health
  • +15% Damage Resist (Snipers)
  • +10% Ordo Dockets
  • +4% Toughness

21% Health
  • +15% Damage Resist (Gunners)
  • +4% Max Health
  • +10% Block Efficiency

I'm looking to get a +1 wound curio that I can build up (like maybe one that already has + toughness or HP and then try to get both on there) to replace my 2nd curio. This seems pretty good but who knows.

Edit: If you refine a perk, can it go from Rank 3 to Rank 4? Is it just exceedingly rare? To me it seems like it reroll at the same level as the existing perk, but I wasn't sure if I should keep clicking while its free to get a tier 4 one

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 7, 2023

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I wish +exp at least converted to an equivalent "extra funds" or something once you hit 30.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I have two (2) stamina curious with +24% total sprint efficiency. Don't ask me why.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
The biggest benefit of +toughness curios is that it increases the amount of raw toughness you generate per regenerative event, such as killing an enemy or landing hits with the Confident Strikes weapon blessing. If taking a random hit only drops you down to say 50% toughness instead of 20%, it will take less time and fewer kills/hits to top yourself back up to a “safe” state again. It’s a favorable stat when it comes to a stream of input/output damage.

In short I’d say +health is better if you take damage in big bursty chunks (e.g. when disabled), while +toughness is better when you’re in a situation where you’re trading hits back and forth (e.g. being shot at while chopping up a horde).

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
are the servers just totally hosed now or what

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Pharmaskittle posted:

I feel pretty good about 3x health curios on zealot and ogryn, can't imagine giving it up for any other option. +Toughness on guardsman I like but could be talked out of. What do y'all like for perks on your curios, tho?

I think 1 each of stam/health/tough is good on zealot, tough for larger toughness reduction pool, health because 200 base and corruption help, stam is handy for more sprinting and shoving, zealot doesn't need wounds because you shouldn't be dying as a zealot until your team is dead.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

BizarroAzrael posted:

Feel like if there was a mass Chaos cult uprising *and* a Genestealer infestation on a single world an Inquisitor wouldn't get too much pushback on virus bombing it.

Second energy faction could potentially be in the second hive you're evidently not supposed to talk about. They'd need a few monstrosities, I can only think of a Broodlord/Patriarch and a senior cultist reskin of the captain boss. Although I've not played 40k since way before Genestealer cults got a full Codex.

Well besides the Zoats I already mentioned, could have Catachan Devils as a Monstrosity enemy as they are not only a Tyranid derived creature it's canon that the Imperium has a history of exporting them off Catachan and of escaping captivity and causing problems

Also could just have a couple regular Tyranid creatures already on Atoma Prime alongside the Genestealer Cult, since Atoma Prime's history hasn't been expanded on too heavily(to my knowledge) could just reveal that it had a Tyranid invasion sometime in the last millennium or so and unbeknownst to anyone loyal some critters survived and have been breeding and evolving in hidden corners of the hives of the world

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Pretty much everyone needs +1 wound above difficulty 3 imo

Maybe not Ogryn

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Magitek posted:

The biggest benefit of +toughness curios is that it increases the amount of raw toughness you generate per regenerative event, such as killing an enemy or landing hits with the Confident Strikes weapon blessing. If taking a random hit only drops you down to say 50% toughness instead of 20%, it will take less time and fewer kills/hits to top yourself back up to a “safe” state again. It’s a favorable stat when it comes to a stream of input/output damage.

This was my logic. I haven't done any testing or looked at any of the math, but to me i want to make sure I am constantly regenerating toughness and I want to have as big of a battery, as big of a cache available to fill. Gameplay wise, to me, it makes it feel like I mostly don't have to worry about chip damage and can play fairly aggressive. Maybe have one or two instances where I get a good chunk of health taken, and then usually there's the next medicae station or medic pack. The only time I feel weaker is when I've got a lot of corruption, which health trinkets definitely help more with. I do notice a significant difference on my Ogryn due to him naturally having more health, but again I still like to stack toughness on him.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

S.J. posted:

Pretty much everyone needs +1 wound above difficulty 3 imo

Maybe not Ogryn

:shrug:

I'm telling you, I don't feel the need to. I'm not saying it's the best way to play or anything. I'm just saying it doesn't seem like a strict requirement.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I'm telling you, I don't feel the need to. I'm not saying it's the best way to play or anything. I'm just saying it doesn't seem like a strict requirement.

Yeah it just becomes a lot easier to get randomly killed by pox bursters if you've taken any corruption, or getting corrupted out by a beast of nurgle or something

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Not gonna lie, I've been stacking toughness on 3 of my 4 characters, and it seems to be working out ok for me. With my Veteran using Confirmed Kill, regaining toughness is a breeze ( I'm either Counterfiring with a Kantrael XII or running grenade spam coupled with the shotgun, Unwavering Focus and Sustained Fire), with the Zealot going deep into crit ( cheesing it with a Headhunter Autogun with Crucian Roulette and finding a Devils Claw sword the most useful for horde clear and extra stamina over the axe or dagger ), Faith Restored is almost always up giving me a really deep toughness pool ( coupled with 2 curios having +sprint efficiency giving me a lot of manoeuvrability ), and it's been a real boon with Ogryn, Cleaver MkIII, Rumbler, Lynchpin ( extra toughness regen when in coherency ), Towering Presence ( extra coherency range ) and Non-Stop Violence ( 10% toughness regained for everyone knocked over with a Bull Charge ). I've not really played much of my Psyker since it started getting harder to get into Heresy difficulty ( Oceania population counts be a thing ). Obviously it's been working out for me in Malice and only the few of games of Heresy I've managed to get going, but I'm definitely in team +toughness over +stamina and +health.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

IMO toughness becomes more useful in 4/5 because of the tendency to walk around a corner into an entire god damned platoon of gunners and get lit the gently caress up

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
I think Fartshark is aware that while interesting gimmick for the few first times the DH is relatively high on the un-fun level since at least up to malice difficulty they seemingly spawn regularly only on the first 1/3rd to first half of the map when the team still has a lot of resources and the wipe isnt as bitter. As far a mediating design it is somewhat effective.

Also I believe they are not RNG per match but per mission, usually replaying the same mission If it us still available ends up with another DH on the exact same spot.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

if +wounds gave corruption resist then i'd give a poo poo, but right now +health is the superior option to me because it makes grims hurt less since they take away a flat amount of health

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

This is what I'm running on my crit build zealot and it's absolutely nutso. With Holy Revanant combined with 2 chastise the wicked charges to keep my toughness topped (+50% toughness per charge) up my zealot is an absolute beast. I just don't die and spend my entire time engaging ranged packs in melee so the veteran can mop up stragglers

From what I've seen the gunner damage reduction impacts reapers as well, but not shotgunners. The sniper reduction is just icing.

I feel like the toughness regen is useless on a curio for zealot, I regenerate almost all of my toughness from kills and Chastise the Wicked. Stamina is useless because zealot already regenerates at an insane rate. Maybe block might be good but not sure. The damage reduction just synergizes so well with the extra toughness and toughness damage reduction from the crit build.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Kith posted:

if +wounds gave corruption resist then i'd give a poo poo, but right now +health is the superior option to me because it makes grims hurt less since they take away a flat amount of health

Do different classes have different starting corruption amounts? Because if not, having extra wounds does cause grims to take up less of your total corruption bar. I got one shot by a pox burster at full health at one point because I only had 2 wounds and someone had picked up a grim vs people who had more wounds that had considerably less of their health bar taken up by corruption

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

S.J. posted:

Do different classes have different starting corruption amounts? Because if not, having extra wounds does cause grims to take up less of your total corruption bar. I got one shot by a pox burster at full health at one point because I only had 2 wounds and someone had picked up a grim vs people who had more wounds that had considerably less of their health bar taken up by corruption

Grimoires take up a flat amount of hp. Each class has different amounts of hp. Zealot has 200 hp so I don't give a poo poo about grims where I was getting pooped on by having grims on a psyker.

If you have only 1 wound of health left not eaten by corruption you will straight up die if brought to 0 hp

S.J.
May 19, 2008

kazr posted:

Grimoires take up a flat amount of hp. Each class has different amounts of hp. Zealot has 200 hp so I don't give a poo poo about grims where I was getting pooped on by having grims on a psyker.

If you have only 1 wound of health left not eaten by corruption you will straight up die if brought to 0 hp

Oh duh, I dunno why I even asked that. I'm tired. Vet and Psyker probably wants an extra wound though probably.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

S.J. posted:

Oh duh, I dunno why I even asked that. I'm tired. Vet and Psyker probably wants an extra wound though probably.

Imo wound curio is necessary on every class but ogryn at heresy/damnation.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

kazr posted:

Imo wound curio is necessary on every class but ogryn at heresy/damnation.

I mean yeah that's what I was saying earlier too

Ogryn supremacy

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

You only need to justify your behaviour to yourself and the team that you're with. It looks like most of the common wisdom is +wound is good on the non abhuman classes. I am always wary of players who come into haz 4+ with two wounds on the HUD.

If you acknowledge its not the best way to play, then it's on you not to be a drag on your team.

If you're not, great! If you are, that's less great.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Stacking toughness is nice if you have things that provide you with %toughness.

I think.

Because nothing in this game is explained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Mendrian posted:

Stacking toughness is nice if you have things that provide you with %toughness.

I think.

Because nothing in this game is explained.

Correct. Effects that give you, say, 5% Toughness will be more effective the more Toughness you have. Melee hits deal a percentage of your Toughness (so you start taking chip damage to your health regardless of your Health) but Ranged hits deal flat values, so more Toughness is always better. Whether or not +Toughness or +Health is more important to you is dependent on your class.