Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

smoobles posted:

(yes I own a Tesla and I'm already embarrassed, no need to roast me, my car will inevitably do that on its own)

Is it a Model S (for Smoobles)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

koshmar posted:

They make a RWD model 3. That thing has got to be super squirrelly with all that torque.

wtf is the point of a RWD electric car

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

I've watched that video like six times now and I feel like my brain will explode before I understand what the joke is

What does "ta-TAY" have to do with either "landscape" or "portrait"

why is turning a landscape photo vertical "portrait" as opposed to cropping it

what is going on, is there some gamer lore that is essential to this

I feel like this joke came up about 100 pages ago and was withdrawn as having been based on a fundamental misunderstanding or something

Vertical mode in shmups

drat I should post faster

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

MrQwerty posted:

wtf is the point of a RWD electric car

It improves feel of steering and cornering grip. Both of which are weak wins compared to the advantages of FWD or AWD in a consumer vehicle, where like, you might need to get to work through adverse weather conditions.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Propaganda Hour posted:

Look out, I'm going Tate mode

*gets thrown in a Romanian prison*

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Renreeja posted:

it blows me away beta is legal, how the gently caress is giving people a half assed broken self driving option legal. Is it only available in america?

Beta just means initial release these days. It's a subscription feature being sold to customers for money, not a feature on testing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol remember how Google said "Beta" on its main search for like 10 years

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
Man burns car at Tesla Solar Plant "for the future"

https://twitter.com/8NewsNow/status/1611562531012894720?s=20

I think "stayed" is "said"

good try, but:

Lamech fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 7, 2023

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I get daily NBA and NFL scores at the top of mine despite my region being set to UK and never having had an interest in either sport.

I can't remove them because the lovely site design means trying to click the ... at the top right clicks the banner instead. Even if I could click it, the option to hide content is broken.

edit:

page 1000

No ring because he's divorced

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

grittyreboot posted:

Tesla keeps advertising Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk for their gaming system and those are horrible games for that kind of screen. You'd just be looking down and to the right trying to read pretty information dense HUDs on a screen that's about the size of those tiny TV's you get for your kitchen. Not to mention both games were designed to be played for well over a hour at a time, not for the 20 or so minutes you need to spend at a recharging station.

I've said it before but the point of this is to show another guy in your driveway, like Kirk Van Houten. It's not to actually play the games for more than 5 minutes.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Lamech posted:

Man burns car at Tesla Solar Plant "for the future"

https://twitter.com/8NewsNow/status/1611562531012894720?s=20

I think "stayed" is "said"

good try, but:

"Stated" probably.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
An oldie but goodie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8NiM_p8n5A

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
we woke up one morning and fell a little further down
for sure as the valley of death
i open up my tesla
and it is full of fire

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Escape Goat posted:

I've said it before but the point of this is to show another guy in your driveway, like Kirk Van Houten. It's not to actually play the games for more than 5 minutes.

What they need is an angry birds level short bursts killer app, but it has to be something that appeals to the folks who really like teslas

Like rick and morty

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I get the appeal of a self-driving car, but I absolutely don't understand wanting to participate in a beta test of one (much less paying a $200/mo. premium for the privilege). Doesn't having to constantly remain vigilant and at the ready to yank back control if things go wrong totally defeat the purpose of a car supposedly being "self-driving"?

Imagine I asked you to hold an egg in the palm of your open hand for an hour and make sure it doesn't get broken. Sure, it's a nuisance, and you probably would need to concentrate on it occasionally if you were doing more than just sitting there, but all in all it's a very manageable task. Now what if I said I would hold the egg in the palm my hand for an hour, and all you have to do is catch it before it hits the ground if I drop it.

Which of those tasks sounds like it would require more concentration?

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
When I first tried the Tesla I felt the basic autopilot was a lot like trying to teach a teenager to drive. You're sitting there and not really actively doing anything, but really you're concentrating really hard, waiting for them to do something stupid (and they will). Tesla's basic stuff is exactly the same, and I assume FSD is there too. I actually found it more tiring than just actually driving the car.

I actually think there may be something to the stuff people who claim ADAS might be dangerous, if the ADAS in any way allows you to relax, like "autopilot" tries to, you'll get complacent and stop paying attention even though the system is only really meant to make you drive better.

The other aspect of it is that they make a big deal of the Tesla being a sports car, with the huge torque (which isn't mandatory in an EV, they make an effort to do so), rear wheel drive, handling, etc. - just to then say "also the car will drive itself". Like, why would the people you're pandering to with the "driving feel" stuff want it to drive itself?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Edmund Sparkler posted:

One of the best things Logitech did was standardize their wireless dongles and allow you to connect 5 devices to one receiver. There's got to be so much e waste generated by so many wireless keyboards and mice getting separated from their receivers so they just get tossed.

My only complaint is that you can have five devices synced to one receiver, but you cannot have one device synced to two receivers. They may very well extremely practical and/or technical issues for why you can't do this, but I wish I could.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Time_pants posted:

My only complaint is that you can have five devices synced to one receiver, but you cannot have one device synced to two receivers. They may very well extremely practical and/or technical issues for why you can't do this, but I wish I could.

It would be useful, I agree. Probably impractical though, like you said.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Self driving is stupid because I'm the exact demographic that could most use FSD - wealthy enough to afford a vehicle with it, living in a state/county with poo poo public transportation, and no driver's license - and yet I can't possibly use it because of the last point. Because I simply cannot see the law ever allowing somebody who straight up does not have a driver's license to ever be the sole person in a self-driving car with no real ability or know-how to take control of the vehicle if it started doing something insane.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/tomdelonge/status/1611154107846504448?s=20&t=zRv3XGRdovBvPS3ryslmiA

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

CuwiKhons posted:

Self driving is stupid because I'm the exact demographic that could most use FSD - wealthy enough to afford a vehicle with it, living in a state/county with poo poo public transportation, and no driver's license - and yet I can't possibly use it because of the last point. Because I simply cannot see the law ever allowing somebody who straight up does not have a driver's license to ever be the sole person in a self-driving car with no real ability or know-how to take control of the vehicle if it started doing something insane.

Actual self driving does exist, Waymo has self driving taxis where you just sit in the back and let it take you where you're going. But they only operate in very limited well-mapped areas, have far more comprehensive sensors than Tesla and always have a car lurking somewhere nearby with a driver in it who will come rescue you if the car gets stuck. That's about as far as we are going to get for the foreseeable future.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

say it ain't so

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/Douglas83329631/status/1611435053002653696

Lol

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Gadzuko posted:

Actual self driving does exist, Waymo has self driving taxis where you just sit in the back and let it take you where you're going. But they only operate in very limited well-mapped areas, have far more comprehensive sensors than Tesla and always have a car lurking somewhere nearby with a driver in it who will come rescue you if the car gets stuck. That's about as far as we are going to get for the foreseeable future.

yeah, ive mentioned it before ts really weird that the general conversation around self driving cars continues to treat them as some hypothetical thing that tesla might someday successfully make, ignoring the fact that someone else already did. the tesla fanboys wont mention them for obvious reasons, nor will the tesla detractors since talking about them doesnt involve some kind of tesla-related take, and thus they end up left out of the conversation even though they are in fact already on the street in an increasing number of cities, often driving around with no one in them at all.

currently they are very annoying tho. ive never ridden in one but ive been stuck behind them a few times and its exactly like getting stuck behind a very old person who drives exactly the speed limit.

apparently the sfpd tried pulling one over once, an empty one, and it did initially pull over but then took off again while the cop was standing there, and then led a 25 mph "police chase" until the company intervened

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 7, 2023

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I like to think of the $15k cost of FSD as paying a driver for 24/7 service. If you drive a legacy vehicle, you are essentially your own personal driver. My time is quite valuable so I would have to pay myself about $17k to drive myself around and be available at my every whim. Keep in mind that as a personal driver you can’t just decide to go get lunch anytime, in case you need a ride somewhere. You’re always on the clock. 17k isn’t enough to survive on and you’re looking at a second job at minimum.

For that reason $15k is a very good deal for me. I don’t really go anywhere so a lot of that driver time is waiting - at worst I save $2k in driver wages and don’t have to pay taxes on that income either. So that’s $4k minus taxes minus the $2k right there. I have a medical condition that makes me react weird to alcohol so it is also much safer if I have to go somewhere.

Earwicker posted:

currently they are very annoying tho. ive never ridden in one but ive been stuck behind them a few times and its exactly like getting stuck behind a very old person who drives exactly the speed limit.
Just a quick note: The speed limit is the fastest you can go, so maybe don’t complain about it. I get to pick up my kids on my Fridays from their preschool and the limit is 55mph because it’s an unmarked pavement that doesn’t fall within a residential boundary and joins directly to a “official state or national highway or leader road within 500 feet of the primary highway and is not designated as an evacuation route”. So legally it’s 55mph. Modern FSD will absolutely get you there pretty much no matter what’s been going on with work, and safely.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 7, 2023

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Earwicker posted:

apparently the sfpd tried pulling one over once, an empty one, and it did initially pull over but then took off again while the cop was standing there, and then led a 25 mph "police chase" until the company intervened

good, this is the right training

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Jesus wept

The cringe is real with muskers

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

douchebag-look is in this year

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Firstname Bunchanumbers returns to dispense another nugget of wisdom.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

SLOSifl posted:

I like to think of the $15k cost of FSD as paying a driver for 24/7 service. If you drive a legacy vehicle, you are essentially your own personal driver. My time is quite valuable so I would have to pay myself about $17k to drive myself around and be available at my every whim. Keep in mind that as a personal driver you can’t just decide to go get lunch anytime, in case you need a ride somewhere. You’re always on the clock. 17k isn’t enough to survive on and you’re looking at a second job at minimum.

For that reason $15k is a very good deal for me. I don’t really go anywhere so a lot of that driver time is waiting - at worst I save $2k in driver wages and don’t have to pay taxes on that income either. So that’s $4k minus taxes minus the $2k right there. I have a medical condition that makes me react weird to alcohol so it is also much safer if I have to go somewhere.

Lol tesla's FSD isn't anything like having a human chauffeur you loving dork

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I think it's a cheap solution to self-euthanasia with a certain RNG component that should be marketed more.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

"Officer, sure I'm drunk but I'm letting a beta program drive my car. I'm bulletproof against DUI."

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

SLOSifl posted:

Isn't a big part of having a driver that they drop you off and go away until you need them, to save you from having to find a park? What do you do, pat the Tesla on the roof and say "off you go little fella, see you at 4"??

(also loling at anyone who's posting on this forum saying "my time is quite valuable", but that's low hanging fruit indeed.)

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

SLOSifl posted:

Just a quick note: The speed limit is the fastest you can go, so maybe don’t complain about it. I get to pick up my kids on my Fridays from their preschool and the limit is 55mph because it’s an unmarked pavement that doesn’t fall within a residential boundary and joins directly to a “official state or national highway or leader road within 500 feet of the primary highway and is not designated as an evacuation route”. So legally it’s 55mph. Modern FSD will absolutely get you there pretty much no matter what’s been going on with work, and safely.

Source your quotes

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Devils Affricate posted:

Lol tesla's FSD isn't anything like having a human chauffeur you loving dork
Okay “lol” back and it absolutely is exactly identical to a personal diver. Maybe not a “chauffeur”. If a 6 year old can get me and my 6 year old son to the store and to my buddy’s house and back then who needs a $17k chauffeur? Fancy French speakers i guess?

Oh I love turning the window crank and pushing on pedals to drive. How jealous are you?

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Amazing

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

SLOSifl posted:

Okay “lol” back and it absolutely is exactly identical to a personal diver. Maybe not a “chauffeur”. If a 6 year old can get me and my 6 year old son to the store and to my buddy’s house and back then who needs a $17k chauffeur? Fancy French speakers i guess?

Oh I love turning the window crank and pushing on pedals to drive. How jealous are you?

Are you... having a stroke or something?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Devils Affricate posted:

Are you... having a stroke or something?

Shh his time is very valuable. He doesn’t have time to answer your question.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

SLOSifl posted:

Are you having a weird reaction to alcohol right now??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

SLOSifl posted:

How jealous are you?

Guys I think we finally found Musks account