Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Surely there won't be any issues with the twitch drops this time :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Drops appear to be counting, though it is in the form of needing to click the 1st pack after 30 minutes to unlock the 2nd pack.

90 minutes to go!

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
Just beat a BBB DK as spitter hunter by running them out of resources. I played big astalor to clear an anti-magic shell board, it lived, then I had exact lethal with a weapon swing, astalor attack, and devouring swarmed the astalor into a scorpid to clear another board and send the pings to face. I was one card from fatigue, and I think the DK had about 5 cards left. Tavish hero power carried the late game through so much heal and removal. He managed to patchwork both spitters (one on board after clearing a gnome muncher) and Brann.

I love this meta.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Malignant Horro is so god damned busted in arena, I faced a DK earlier who was running triple blood handbuff and played no less than FIVE of those loving things

Feels like DK is tier SSS+++ and the other classes don't get to play Hearthstone

Joe Son
Jul 23, 2009
Really sick of discover. Just had a game where the opposing dk discovered about 10 cards in 6 turns.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Beasteh posted:

Malignant Horro is so god damned busted in arena, I faced a DK earlier who was running triple blood handbuff and played no less than FIVE of those loving things

Feels like DK is tier SSS+++ and the other classes don't get to play Hearthstone

yeah the card was already really good when it used 5 corpses (like arguably the best card in the format) and then they buffed it without altering it's offering rate at all lol.. You basically always have to kill both copies of the minion the turn they are summoned or you are just hosed.. there's synergistic DK cards that allow you to re-summon the drat thing with reborn even if you leave it on the board in it's 2/1 post reborn state.

Death Knight in arena was sitting at 61% win rate pre-nerfs where everything else was below 50% except Paladin which was hovering around 50% and now after almost entirely getting rid of the cards that discover other DK cards the class is sitting at 59% win rate and everything else is under 50% except for druid and warlock which are hanging around there.. the changes they made did have the effect of killing paladin as a playable arena class for some reason though lol

It's just evidence they don't know what they are doing with the game mode.. 61% or 59% win rates are actually under-stated as an indicator of class strength when you factor in a much higher incidence of head to head matchups dragging those figures down towards 50%. I've never seen the format this bad.

**I mean the previous dual class arena meta was also really bad with the classic sets, but that was bad for different reasons where if you fell behind on board there was no cards that could really catch you up in a game so you had games won or lost in mulligan depending on who had the better turns 1-3 minions. The classes were relatively even in win rate though so atleast it didn't feel like you were being cheated out of 150 gold as soon as the classes popped up on the first screen.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 6, 2023

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Its just inherent to the design of Death Knight, making class cards more powerful with the understanding you only get access to a third of them in deckbuilding is completely antihetical to a draft format. the only balance solution is completely nerfing class card offering rates for DK entirely and having the class just be neutral.dec is super boring to play as, so theres no good solution for Arena. They clearly never considered or cared about it while designing the class because why start now.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Blasmeister posted:

Its just inherent to the design of Death Knight, making class cards more powerful with the understanding you only get access to a third of them in deckbuilding is completely antihetical to a draft format. the only balance solution is completely nerfing class card offering rates for DK entirely and having the class just be neutral.dec is super boring to play as, so theres no good solution for Arena. They clearly never considered or cared about it while designing the class because why start now.

yeah the corpse mechanic cheats so much soft mana (not to mention being one sided and completely neutering thief effects which have always been a thing in arena) that I don't really understand how the DK class can ever be really balanced outside of what you have suggested.. and people don't want to play neutralstone with 25+ minion drafts, they want to have fun decks and synergistic decks but they want that to be a thing that everyone has access to not just for 1 class.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I love gifting people cards that need corpses with Theotar. Not playing DK? Enjoy your dead card.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Found the undead aggro druid deck I was looking for finally. Here's the info if you want to try it out.

undead aggro
Class: Druid
Format: Standard
Year of the Hydra
2x (0) Aquatic Form
2x (1) Arms Dealer
2x (1) Banshee
2x (1) Foul Egg
2x (1) Lingering Zombie
2x (2) Amalgam of the Deep
2x (2) Composting
2x (2) Nerubian Flyer
2x (2) Vrykul Necrolyte
2x (2) Wither
2x (3) Drakkari Embalmer
2x (3) Nerubian Vizier
1x (3) Oracle of Elune
2x (4) Pride's Fury
1x (5) Elder Nadox
1x (6) Sylvanas, the Accused
1x (6) Unending Swarm

AAECAaHDAwTJ9QOk7wS3mAW9mAUNs+wDgfcDrsAEssEE1/EEkpMFsZgFupgFoJkFopkFkZ0Fk50F4sUFAA==

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Despite Blizzard insisting to the contrary multiple occasions, they truly do not give a gently caress about Arena. Not when designing cards, and not when it comes to active balancing. They have mentioned numerous times about their 'big plans' for the game mode and so on, but nothing has ever come of it. It came out that the entire balance of the mode for years was quite literally some dude's side-hobby and when he left it was entirely abandoned for months because nobody else knew how to tinker with it.

Part of the appeal of Arena was that good meta-knowledge meant you could, more or less, play around likely threats from each class. However, as mentioned, Discover effects and the release of bigger and bigger swing cards has made that nigh on impossible. They haven't made the slightest effort to make it a healthier ecosystem in years and years.

I'm by no means a conspiracy theorist or a massive cynic about Blizzard (obviously a healthy level of disdain and scepticism is just good sense), but I genuinely believe they wish Arena did not exist. Moreover, I believe they let Arena 'lie fallow' or actively fail to intervene on balance issues in order to keep it from being too popular. It's objectively more difficult to go infinite now because deck quality matters more relative to skill than it used to, quite aside from the fact that 'how many times you roll DK' matters more than anything else these days.

It's a game mode that drags player time/attention from the more monetised/flagship modes and disincentivises buying packs for cash. I seriously doubt many people drop actual money for runs, either. It's pretty much a vestigial legacy mode that exists because the outcry for removing it wouldn't be worth the hassle. Maybe one day they'll rework it into something more profitable.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Since it's a new year, I feel the need to type up a new effortpost on how to spend less on this loving game courtesy of Google.

What you will need:
1. A Smartphone (Android or iPhone doesn't matter)
2. Access to *some* kind of Android device that can access the Play Store *and* preferably run Hearthstone (at least load it to the point of being able to navigate the menu/shop)
3. The Google Opinion Rewards app (available for Android and iPhone)

Step 1: Turn on Location Services on your phone. In order to earn credit, you have to let multinational conglomerates spy on where you've been. If that's a bridge too far for you, skip down to Step #3.

Step 2: Install Google Opinion Rewards. It's going to ask you some basic demographic information, like age and gender and languages spoken. Not that you should ever *lie* to a multinational conglomerate, but evidently claiming to be a woman will get you more surveys. Be sure you can also *speak* the languages you claim you're fluent in, because the surveys will occasionally test your proficiency with "what word doesn't belong in this group" types of tests.

What to expect: The surveys you will get will be tied to locations you've visited, or locations you might've just been close enough to that the app *thinks* you visited them. Occasionally it'll "test" you and throw five locations you were never even close to or don't even exist. If you bite on these, you risk being paid less or ultimately locked out of getting further surveys. Answering honestly will usually net you around ten to fifteen cents. Trust me, it adds up. The location surveys (that you complete) will also ask you to take a picture of any receipt(s) you got, so get into a habit of saving those as that can usually net you an extra 20-30 cents in exchange for giving Google more demographic data about you. :rolleyes:

You'll also occasionally get surveys about whether you'd be interested in a specific app. Try to answer something other than "3 out of 5" because it seems that earns you a consistent ten cents because it's indecisive. You'll also be queried about poo poo you might've browsed for, and these occasionally will have "fill in" sections. These are the "money" surveys and pretty consistently give fifty cents or more. You might be asking why you should care about ten-fifty cents, but it does add up. Over the course of a Hearthstone expansion release schedule, you can accrue ~$20-40 in Google Play credit, which is a healthy chunk out of an expansion pack. Now I'm going to tell you how you can save even more.

Step 3: Google Play Points. These are another way to stack savings. This is unfortunately where you need an Android device, again, one that preferably can at least load its way into the Hearthstone menu and navigate it without bursting into flames.

There are four levels of "status" with Google Play: Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum. Once you get to Silver (at 100 points) you start earning weekly "awards" every Friday which can be "up to" 100 points. It's immaterial because hitting Gold (at 600 points) should be piss easy by March/April (when the next expansion should drop) if you're diligent. Gold should be your primary goal, as once you hit it, you're earning 20% more points per purchase (which, granted, isn't much given $10 would net you 12 points instead of 10 on Bronze and 11 on Silver). Given that the year JUST started, it's not out of the realm of possibility to get Platinum before the end of the year just through Opinion Rewards and Hearthstone purchases, but I've done it before.

The hardest part about these is just that, being diligent and patient. If you're not ultra-competitive, *don't* buy expansions and mini-sets as soon as you can. Why? Because every so often, usually once a month (and usually at the end of the month), Google Play will drop point modifiers for purchases, anywhere from 2-5x. Which means the upcoming $19.99 mini-set we all know is coming would net you anywhere from 40-100 points in a single purchase. They'll also have point multipliers on books every so often, so if you're a prolific reader, maybe buy during those bonuses. Every 100 points is redeemable for $1 in Play Credit. And it's pretty easy to find yourself with 1000 points to blow on an extra :10bux: off a Hearthstone expansion.

There are also occasionally "free points" in the form of installing an app on your device for 24h, and you find these at the very bottom of the "Special Earn Rates" list. They're serious about the full 24h, though - you never have to actually *open* the app, just keep it installed for 24h, and you get your free points. Every so often they'll drop *five* of these at once.

Between Google Opinion Rewards and only buying poo poo just for Hearthstone during point bonuses, I'm able to save up ~$50-60 in Play Credit between expansions.

NOTE: Every so often you'll see a "quest" with four steps that will promise a ~reward~ of "at least 100 points." Unless you're already planning on buying something, don't do it. I've done two of them now and the "reward" was a measly 100 points, which really sucks since you have to SPEND at least 100 points to *get* 100 points. You'll also occasionally get a "special" where if you spend $X usually two times, they'll give you bonuses, usually of a few hundred points. Again, it's your choice if you want to do that.

Also, the Opinion Rewards app *does* work outside of North America, I just don't know how lucrative it'd be. Every new update to it mentions new countries being added, but even then, you should still get the "browsing" and "rate this app" surveys. Again, it adds up, and even if you can only save up $10-20 (in your country's currency), it's not *your* money you're spending.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 7, 2023

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Since it's a new year, I feel the need to type up a new effortpost on how to spend less on this loving game courtesy of Google.

I added this to the OP, thanks!

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Jeza posted:

It's a game mode that drags player time/attention from the more monetised/flagship modes and disincentivises buying packs for cash. I seriously doubt many people drop actual money for runs, either. It's pretty much a vestigial legacy mode that exists because the outcry for removing it wouldn't be worth the hassle. Maybe one day they'll rework it into something more profitable.

I've never seen anyone drop actual cash (or runestones now I guess) on arena runs except for recently when certain streamers who only wanted to do DK arena runs to farm content for youtube burned through their entire gold stacks and then started buying runs lol

Despite it all arena is still in some ways the best game mode for a new player to get into inasmuch as it is the only game mode which is designed not to be p2w and even the point that a new player will find challenging (not running out of gold pretty quick) can be mitigated by just creating an account on all 3 servers to play arena with.. it's really hard to outspend the reward track gold on 3 seperate servers unless you are pretty much playing full time.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

An interesting turn where I was proud that I figured out in time, but it's easier if you know it's a lethal puzzle:

Answer:
https://hsreplay.net/replay/mJngezwuV8y8xZD99QyvYs#turn=6b

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I'm so dumb it was so obvious what you had to have used but I couldn't quite put it together lol. Real face palming moment when I checked the replay.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Wait, I don't get it. Why can you transform the Chemist when it's not an Undead?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Oenis posted:

Wait, I don't get it. Why can you transform the Chemist when it's not an Undead?

it is Undead

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Oenis posted:

It is. It shows up correctly in the decklist, but not the replay proper. It as updated with March of the Lich King in November.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Oenis posted:

It is an Undead. The tag was added with the MLK* patch.

*this is an unfortunate acronym

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Yo guys I'm here with a HOT tip that Blizzard doesn't want you to know about. First, download this poo poo on to your phone. There's gonna be some words about how it can track anywhere you go and anything you do and use that information for anything and sell it to anyone for any reason. You're gonna wanna ignore all that and just smash the Allow button or choose I Agree whenever it asks.

Then you just gotta do a bunch of tedious bullshit and obsessively check for deals every day and occasionally install more poo poo. Eventually you will get enough sick rewards that you too can EARN less than an hour's worth of work at a minimum wage job each month to buy video game cards.

Thank you Google for selflessly providing this incredible opportunity at no cost to us.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

i cant believe the hot tip is for google loving play points, that poo poo might as well not exist. at least amazon coins was like $20 at a time.

whatever don't spend money on this game. don't. don't dont dont dont don't. don't1! don't! oh god don't.

kater fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jan 8, 2023

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Yo guys I'm here with a HOT tip that Blizzard doesn't want you to know about. First, download this poo poo on to your phone. There's gonna be some words about how it can track anywhere you go and anything you do and use that information for anything and sell it to anyone for any reason. You're gonna wanna ignore all that and just smash the Allow button or choose I Agree whenever it asks.

Then you just gotta do a bunch of tedious bullshit and obsessively check for deals every day and occasionally install more poo poo. Eventually you will get enough sick rewards that you too can EARN less than an hour's worth of work at a minimum wage job each month to buy video game cards.

Thank you Google for selflessly providing this incredible opportunity at no cost to us.

Ah, there's that old school "I can't just ignore poo poo I don't feel like doing" post energy. :allears:

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I was completely onboard to do all of that stuff until it became apparent to me that you had to pay money to Blizzard to get any benefit. I've never given Blizzard a dime of my money and I'm not going to start now.

Before I went down to Vegas I installed that MyVegas MGM rewards app where I poured hours and hours (like probably 20-30 hours) into playing lovely granny slots to build up enough points to buy 1 free ticket to the Mandalay Bay aquarium which had a face value of $27. I'll do alot of stupid poo poo for the promise of a small return as long as I don't have to spend any of my own money along the way.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Druid was a mistake

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Rogue was a mistake

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Whatever class I just lost to was a mistake

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Miracle (Read: Pachinko) Rogue was, but other varities are arguably playing 'honest' Hearthstone.

Druid finally aligning to WoW proper (Having a class identity of 'Be good at the things the game wants you to do', and still crying they're bad all day) was a mistake. :v:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I'm gettin' real loving tired of Wild Mill Druid. Everyone has a diff build and they're all annoying.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

An interesting turn where I was proud that I figured out in time, but it's easier if you know it's a lethal puzzle:

Answer:
https://hsreplay.net/replay/mJngezwuV8y8xZD99QyvYs#turn=6b

boring "WHO ASKED" Trip Report: This arena run went 12-0

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I am The Who whom asked.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Just made legend with Scam Shaman and boy do turn 3 concedes not get old. pfft, what broken Rogue/DH only format?

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Sounds good, have you got a list?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

It’s just the VS evolve shaman list

### Evolve Nep Shaman
# Class: Shaman
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Hydra
#
# 2x (1) Convincing Disguise
# 2x (1) Muck Pools
# 2x (1) Schooling
# 2x (1) Windchill
# 2x (2) Carving Chisel
# 2x (3) Far Sight
# 2x (3) Primordial Wave
# 2x (4) Prescience
# 2x (4) Wildpaw Cavern
# 2x (5) Bloodlust
# 2x (5) Command of Neptulon
# 1x (5) Shadow Hunter Vol'jin
# 2x (6) Tiny Toys
# 1x (7) Glugg the Gulper
# 1x (8) Bru'kan of the Elements
# 2x (10) Goldshire Gnoll
# 1x (10) Neptulon the Tidehunter
#
AAECAc2+BQTg5QPDkQTptgS/zgQN4/YDxvkD3JIE25QE4LUExs4EhdQEqtkEr9kEtdkEttkE8t0EhqEFAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

I mull anything that’s not schooling, gnoll or prescience

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Blasmeister posted:

pfft, what broken Rogue/DH only format?

This is (currently) not a thing outside of Top1000 legend, but it is a thing. In fact it's why I stopped playing ladder last season after getting ~1500 rank; to get x11 star bonus while also jamming Aggro Mage, since that deck was a cheap for me, and I play it well, but not match against the players who actually know how to exploit Miracle Rogue's bustedness (yet).

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Blasmeister posted:

It’s just the VS evolve shaman list

### Evolve Nep Shaman
# Year of the Hydra
#
# 2x (1) Convincing Disguise
# 2x (1) Muck Pools
# 2x (1) Schooling
# 2x (1) Windchill
# 2x (2) Carving Chisel
# 2x (3) Far Sight
# 2x (3) Primordial Wave
# 2x (4) Prescience
# 2x (4) Wildpaw Cavern
# 2x (5) Bloodlust
# 2x (5) Command of Neptulon
# 2x (6) Tiny Toys
# 1x (10) Neptulon the Tidehunter
#
AAECAc2+BQTg5QPDkQTptgS/zgQN4/YDxvkD3JIE25QE4LUExs4EhdQEqtkEr9kEtdkEttkE8t0EhqEFAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

I mull anything that’s not schooling, gnoll or prescience

ive been having fun with a Big Shaman list that goes less all-in on the scam, but adds some fun lategame toys centered around big Deathrattles that are also powerful targets for Vol'Jin

It's probably a couple of tiers below regular Evolve in terms of power because it's slower

### Big Shaman
# Year of the Hydra
#
# 2x (1) Muck Pools
# 2x (1) Schooling
# 1x (1) Windchill
# 1x (2) Bracing Cold
# 2x (3) Far Sight
# 1x (3) Primordial Wave
# 2x (4) Prescience
# 1x (4) Vanndar Stormpike
# 1x (4) Wildpaw Cavern
# 1x (5) Harkener of Dread
# 1x (6) Glaciate
# 1x (6) Masked Reveler
# 2x (8) Blightblood Berserker
# 1x (8) Invincible
# 2x (9) Flesh Behemoth
# 1x (9) Overlord Drakuru
# 2x (10) From De Other Side
# 1x (10) Sire Denathrius
#
AAECAdL8BQ7g5QP4jASnjQTDkQTckgTblATErATptgTp0AS22QTL7QSKkgWqoQXfogUIxvkD4LUEhdQEtdkE+5EF1JUF+KAFhqEFAA==
#

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Desert Bus posted:

I'm gettin' real loving tired of Wild Mill Druid. Everyone has a diff build and they're all annoying.

It's aggro rogue/shaman for me. They're boring matchups either way.

Swordfish in particular seems a really problem card for rogue.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Anything that's fun to play or even play against gets demolished by anything that's boring and stupid highroll aggro poo poo, I hate this game lately. Even implock is back in full force, a deck that's completely unchanged from last meta. Gimme better control tools blizzard.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Oenis posted:

Anything that's fun to play or even play against gets demolished by anything that's boring and stupid highroll aggro poo poo, I hate this game lately. Even implock is back in full force, a deck that's completely unchanged from last meta. Gimme better control tools blizzard.

Like say, an option for an extra 10 health would be great

On the other hand, if you hate aggro on wild, may I suggest even unholy death Knight? It farms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Olpainless posted:

Like say, an option for an extra 10 health would be great

On the other hand, if you hate aggro on wild, may I suggest even unholy death Knight? It farms.

Even DK is one of the worst matchups for Reno DK, which is very good. DK just fuckin' slaps in Wild. So much fun.