Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Kevin McCarthy’s quinceañera from hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

dpkg chopra posted:

Kevin McCarthy’s quinceañera from hell

If Gaetz was at my 16th it sure would be hell

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

smoobles posted:

What does voting present mean here?

it gradually lowers the victory vote down from 218 to 217, and now down to 216. As of right now, if you see McCarthy gets 216, he wins.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Rigel posted:

yeah, ok that is now official, the rebels have surrendered. The only way McCarthy loses is if a fresh new backstabber suddenly emerges.

:pray:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1611588456446300164
https://twitter.com/C2YKit/status/1611589100712390657

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Oil! posted:

There are a lot of people against the rules concessions on McCarthy's side that might want to gig the HFC.

Are they voting on that tonight?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Buff Hardback posted:

ignore them in the total vote count

Wouldn't that mean Jeffries wins?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

smoobles posted:

nope because then that means McCarthy has more votes than jeffries

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Maybe that's why Rogers was ready to go after Gaetz? He knew he was gonna get hosed over.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

smoobles posted:

If this were the first few rounds, yes. But enough of the initial rebels started voting for McCarthy a few ballots ago so that he has pulled ahead of Jeffries in total votes.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

tecnocrat posted:

Maybe that's why Rogers was ready to go after Gaetz? He knew he was gonna get hosed over.

Angry at the wrong person. Typical.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

smoobles posted:

If there were still ~20 holdouts, but there are too few now to make enough difference.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hopefully this causes some hilarious fights in the future. K-Mack sold the farm for some completely un-magical beans.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Was really hoping for Eternal Deadlock but still a very, very funny couple of days. :toot:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Kevin running his own little concession stand inside that circus.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

tecnocrat posted:

Maybe he should vote no against McCarthy if he's mad about it

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Oh I see, I tuned out around vote 7 and did not realize there were fewer holdouts

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Well gently caress, that got much less funny. That's worst case scenario for Ukraine.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

It's cute how conservatives who declare "earmarks were the most corrupt thing on Earth" are usually quite happy to accept bribes-for-votes themselves.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

smoobles posted:

he's basically the omni-present "never sleep, never go home, never get sick, never fail to vote for any reason" guy. The rules will supposedly be that anyone can call to vacate the chair. If that is really true, then if the GOP ever has problems with attendance, then the Dems will be waiting to call the vote. Jeffries might actually end up being (very) briefly becoming speaker once or twice.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 7, 2023

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PostNouveau posted:

Maybe he should vote no against McCarthy if he's mad about it

in sha'Allah

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I suspect there's quite a bit more of this kind of thing that's been made public so far, and it's going to lead to entertainment in the future. Possibly very near future.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

I'm awake again. And... holy poo poo. Just in time for Kevin to get it, apparently.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
^^^^ Oh, he's gonna get it all right. ^^^^

Zero_Grade posted:

I suspect there's quite a bit more of this kind of thing that's been made public so far, and it's going to lead to entertainment in the future. Possibly very near future.

Gonna be an enlightening weekend.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

They're cutting to Kevin reading what I think is his speech

I think that's the game

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zero_Grade posted:

will all of that have to be made public as part of the rules vote

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Apparently not the top post after all
https://twitter.com/jonallendc/status/1611590430591778817

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Pyrrhus looking mighty smug over there.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Can’t wait for all his little deals to get revealed :getin:

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Well all I can say is SA is at its best when there's complete chaos in our government. The Gaetz jokes alone made my night.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
so we're gonna have a debt default in, what, july unless Biden mints the coin?

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

will all of that have to be made public as part of the rules vote

What bills/votes McCarthy agreed to allow is not part of the rules vote.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Old James posted:

What bills/votes McCarthy agreed to allow is not part of the rules vote.

It's also not very important, given the control of Senate and Presidency.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Of course Matt Gaetz lost interest when the speaker vote turned 15

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

It's very impressive that in a caucus with both the Squad, and Golden, Peltola, Cuellar; a leadership team that's completely new to leadership has managed to hold everyone together so firmly in votes and messaging with the only absence being a dude who needed surgery who still got back in time to vote. Incredible contrast to guys who've been here 2 decades and got humiliated 15 times by a gelled-up sex trafficker before surrendering completely.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
They wont vote on rules tonight right?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

https://twitter.com/andyharnik/status/1611582256660758528

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Jan 6th is really such a crap day for the US government

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

OddObserver posted:

It's also not very important, given the control of Senate and Presidency.

They threw a tantrum to get some 'control' over a situation that didn't even really matter.

It's kind of fitting that it happened on Jan 6th, another last, desperate grasp of a movement that's petering out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Pillowpants posted:

They wont vote on rules tonight right?

Oh yes they will. McCarthy will want to get it set into place tonight, if anything to get the C-Span cameras off the floor itself.