Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Obviously they're paying the musicians too much money.

100% that's their conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
What's the connection? This is the first time I've heard Spotify and Genius in any connection with each other. Is there a reason to hate Spotify or is it just 'haha red numbers'.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

StumblyWumbly posted:

What's the connection? This is the first time I've heard Spotify and Genius in any connection with each other. Is there a reason to hate Spotify or is it just 'haha red numbers'.

Out of big cloud music platforms, they pay artists the worst, and they also platform Joe Rogan with his show of lunatics. That alone has earned Spotify _a lot_ of scorn, but Ek in itself is like Jack Dorsey at home + European, so there's random oddball stuff in the background, depending on what you're looking to take an issue with.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

StumblyWumbly posted:

Why sub to spotify when it doesn't get rid of YouTube ads for you

Seriously; it's the smartest thing Google ever did.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Just make garmin use YouTube music and I'll be a happy man, running with music without my phone. Only options are spotify or Deezer.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Mister Facetious posted:

Why sub to spotify when it doesn't get rid of YouTube ads for you

Seriously; it's the smartest thing Google ever did.
Ublock and Vinegar get rid of YouTube ads without financially rewarding them for capturing the entire video hosting market and then ruining it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Back when he was shutting the cafeteria, Musk posted about how it was costing $300 per employee per meal. Even Nazi Jack weighed in to call bullshit, but Elon just posted some bullshit figures "justifying" his stance, noped out of the thread and hasn't said a word about it since.

$300 per person per meal is such a comically high bullshit number too. Spending that much per person would be, like, waygu steaks and caviar prepared by Michelin star chefs levels of expense. The total cost when all was said and done was probably not even $30 per employee. Even if it was, if he said "it was $30 per employee" Musk would've been called out immediately and repeatedly by people pointing out that'd be a bargain for the amount of extra work Twitter would be getting out of its six-figure-salaried workforce.

Musk is just an incredibly stupid man who unfortunately has millions of even stupider people who hang on his every word.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
maybe musk himself has 300$ meals.

300$ of nutbutter and drugs. (the drugs is most of the cost)

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Was he trying to claim that it was $300/meal in direct costs? There's maybe a reasonable argument that a cafeteria sized and staffed for feeding pre-pandemic-everybody-in-office is bigger than work-from-home twitter needs, but even that's an argument for laying off some of the cooks, not getting rid of the cafeteria entirely (and ignoring that he was also trying to end WFH)

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Iirc he included extra stuff like estimated monthly kitchen rent & equipment costs in the number

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

pumpinglemma posted:

Ublock and Vinegar get rid of YouTube ads without financially rewarding them for capturing the entire video hosting market and then ruining it.

We use phones now, grampa

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Mister Facetious posted:

We use phones now, grampa

We use smart phones now, and smart phones run Ublock

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Chronojam posted:

We use smart phones now, and smart phones run Ublock

I live the Apple life :negative:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Foxfire_ posted:

Was he trying to claim that it was $300/meal in direct costs? There's maybe a reasonable argument that a cafeteria sized and staffed for feeding pre-pandemic-everybody-in-office is bigger than work-from-home twitter needs, but even that's an argument for laying off some of the cooks, not getting rid of the cafeteria entirely (and ignoring that he was also trying to end WFH)

idiotsavant posted:

Iirc he included extra stuff like estimated monthly kitchen rent & equipment costs in the number

There is no feasible way to have it cost $300 per person per meal unless Twitter was going through entire kitchens worth of high end equipment every month. After the initial expenditure on equipment, making meals in bulk was probably at most $10 worth of ingredients per person and the operational cost of a cafeteria divided by hundreds (or thousands) of employees would be a pittance of additional cost per meal.

Unless Twitter was spending millions per month renting equipment (which is a lie, since Musk was selling the kitchen equipment) you couldn't come anywhere close to $300 per employee per meal. Musk lied. Badly. Because he sucks as lying as much as he sucks at designing an electric truck.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Out of big cloud music platforms, they pay artists the worst,

I feel like Spotify gets a lot of unfair heat for this. A lot of that is based around their free accounts which basically eliminated piracy for many people, and is bringing money in that wouldn’t otherwise be there.

And the other options like Apple, Google and Amazon all tend to have major backers behind them.

Spotify will probably be bankrupt soon anyway so it doesn’t matter.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

StumblyWumbly posted:

What's the connection? This is the first time I've heard Spotify and Genius in any connection with each other.
what was your thought process reading about Bird leaving scooters everywhere

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Mister Facetious posted:

I live the Apple life :negative:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/vinegar-tube-cleaner/id1591303229

YouTube ad? On my iPhone? lol and lmao

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Evil Fluffy posted:

There is no feasible way to have it cost $300 per person per meal unless Twitter was going through entire kitchens worth of high end equipment every month. After the initial expenditure on equipment, making meals in bulk was probably at most $10 worth of ingredients per person and the operational cost of a cafeteria divided by hundreds (or thousands) of employees would be a pittance of additional cost per meal.

Unless Twitter was spending millions per month renting equipment (which is a lie, since Musk was selling the kitchen equipment) you couldn't come anywhere close to $300 per employee per meal. Musk lied. Badly. Because he sucks as lying as much as he sucks at designing an electric truck.

SF commercial real estate isn’t cheap, and some of these kitchen build-outs are pretty big. So if you do all the accounting sideways and just chop out the 20k sqft of kitchen/cafeteria space and pretend that it applies directly to average meal cost it makes your meals look expensive af

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Spotify has been spending huge on podcast thinking that the growth in that area would continue, instead it's peaked. So they have spent millions and barely raised their user numbers. They did a netflix basically.

It also doesn't help that the app is loving awful for podcasts.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

There’s also Vanced and similar good ad-blocking Youtube apps if you’re on Android - Google got all those taken off the Apple app store at around the same time they decided to lock PiP playback behind an annual subscription fee, though. (Another reason to use Vinegar…)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sri.Theo posted:

I feel like Spotify gets a lot of unfair heat for this. A lot of that is based around their free accounts which basically eliminated piracy for many people, and is bringing money in that wouldn’t otherwise be there.

And the other options like Apple, Google and Amazon all tend to have major backers behind them.

Spotify will probably be bankrupt soon anyway so it doesn’t matter.

I’m not sure I follow what makes a factual observation unfair. As to your other argument, pay per stream from paid accounts is the same as from the free, to best of my knowledge. And it matches neither the more than two times higher pay per stream from free YouTube Music accounts, nor the user-centric revenue model of Deezer, which can pay out a user’s whole subscription to the sole artist they’re listening to, as an example. Instead, it has spent a cool billion on building their podcasting service, aiming for a 50% gross margin there. https://www.forbes.com/sites/marisa...nvestment-mode/

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

Spotify has been spending huge on podcast thinking that the growth in that area would continue, instead it's peaked. So they have spent millions and barely raised their user numbers. They did a netflix basically.

It also doesn't help that the app is loving awful for podcasts.

I moved on to YouTube Music because Spotify kept recommending me Jordan Peterson's podcast. I don't use Spotify for podcasts, it sucks for them. All tech companies bad but there's something really doubly annoying about an algorithm basically finding you potential target for the right wing extremisation hole (youtube...) and knowing some people will be affected by it. I would have considered Deezer but their automatic playlists suck in my case and they don't allow you to create radio stations based on playlists.

At least allow me to hide podcast recommendations but no. I sent Spotify feedback but I doubt it'll move the needle. I consider music and podcasts seperate islands for listening to the degree I wish I could seperate playback controls between podcasts and music on OS level on my phone.

Edit: I ironically moved to Pocket Casts because my previous podcast app slowly shat its bed and for the first time paid for the luxury.
V

Dessel fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jan 7, 2023

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Pocket Casts has never recommended me a god drat thing which makes it the best podcast app I've ever used.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Yeah I should give pocket casts another go. It was great back in the day but I dumped it because I wanted a singular app for music and podcasts.

I thought given time Spotify would get better but it STILL in 2023 doesn't have a simple 'new episodes' feed on the desktop or web app. This has existed on the android app for years.
It also sucks at syncing across, if you are mid episode you can continue on the desktops seamlessly. But if you are say 5 episodes in and then the next day listen on phone it may remember where you are, but you then listen episode 6 only to return to the desktop and for it to still think you are on episode 5.

This is particularly bad for podcasts which don't number episodes, it's easy to get lost and confused which episodes you have listened to and which ones you haven't.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Elysiume posted:

Pocket Casts has never recommended me a god drat thing which makes it the best podcast app I've ever used.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

as someone who only cares about listening to music, spotify was always bad. it:

a) never allowed you to upload your own files
b) sounded inferior
c) bungled its ui/ux
d) botched playlist management

just awful all around. its catalog was its only plus, and that has long been matched or bested by almost all of its competitors. i moved to apple music once that hit and didn’t look back. that was awful too, but at least it gave me a). then that kept getting worse and i eventually found the godsend that is qobuz.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Ruffian Price posted:

what was your thought process reading about Bird leaving scooters everywhere
No idea where this is going, but I'm always happy to complain about Bird-like companies abusing the shared resource of sidewalks to store their junk before it inevitably gets thrown into a river. Fortunately it's not a big problem in part of Massachusetts, we have the Blue Bikes which try to solve the same problem but have fixed parking spots. They're harder to find but much less annoying.

Thanks for asking!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Cities should be picking them up as if they're dumped e-waste and then selling them back to the companies than run the schemes

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Cities should be picking them up as if they're dumped e-waste and then selling them back to the companies than run the schemes

Iirc one of the cities mentioned in this thread started confiscating them and selling them at auction, making it legal to jailbreak them for personal use.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

pumpinglemma posted:

There’s also Vanced and similar good ad-blocking Youtube apps if you’re on Android - Google got all those taken off the Apple app store at around the same time they decided to lock PiP playback behind an annual subscription fee, though. (Another reason to use Vinegar…)

The best YouTube alternative is NewPipe from the Fdroid all-open-source "store." It can play with the screen off or the app in the background, no ads, no login, no tracking.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The best YouTube alternative is NewPipe from the Fdroid all-open-source "store." It can play with the screen off or the app in the background, no ads, no login, no tracking.

Hell yea NewPipe owns. Been using since Vanced got nuked that first time.

withoutclass fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 7, 2023

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Is this even legal?

https://twitter.com/RobertRMorris/status/1611450197707464706?s=20&t=21PDoVN5jxl6Bn0kIgUkDg

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

It's certainly not ethical.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

we asked gpt-3 to construct a legal justification and it sounded pretty convincing!

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Looks like it wasn't quite that bad. They didn't pair people looking for mental health support up with GPT-3 directly without oversight. Instead, they took their own existing platform where a bunch of people were doing volunteer amateur psych work, and offered GPT-3 to a subset of them to help them craft responses (to use as a tool as they saw fit) - presumably as a precursor to rolling it out as a tool for volunteers more widely. That's still on fairly shaky ground - "I took my new prototype rocket-powered chainsaw design and gave it to the local amateur lumberjack club to try out, if anything happens it's their fault for using it wrong" isn't the best ethical justification possible. But as a non-expert it doesn't sound awful beyond reasonable doubt - it feels like it might be possible to do something like this ethically, and it's almost certainly legal. Put it like this, if I heard a university ethics board had signed off on something like this as a study after substantial vetting then I would have been surprised but not outraged.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/RobertRMorris/status/1611450210915434499

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

... when subjects are made aware of it

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
This is the real coup de grace tweet though:
https://twitter.com/RobertRMorris/status/1611582827224797185

Tech bros think regulatory oversight is just a formality which can be handwaved away if you feel smart enough. Have encountered this in my own job where product managers want to release SW updates for a medical device without filing any paperwork with the FDA.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

pumpinglemma posted:

Looks like it wasn't quite that bad. They didn't pair people looking for mental health support up with GPT-3 directly without oversight. Instead, they took their own existing platform where a bunch of people were doing volunteer amateur psych work, and offered GPT-3 to a subset of them to help them craft responses (to use as a tool as they saw fit) - presumably as a precursor to rolling it out as a tool for volunteers more widely. That's still on fairly shaky ground - "I took my new prototype rocket-powered chainsaw design and gave it to the local amateur lumberjack club to try out, if anything happens it's their fault for using it wrong" isn't the best ethical justification possible. But as a non-expert it doesn't sound awful beyond reasonable doubt - it feels like it might be possible to do something like this ethically, and it's almost certainly legal. Put it like this, if I heard a university ethics board had signed off on something like this as a study after substantial vetting then I would have been surprised but not outraged.
One of the rules about research on human subjects is that it isn't supposed to harm the subjects.

The subjects of this involuntary study were told that they were talking to humans. They built trust relationships. Then they were told that those trust relationships didn't exist, and they were talking to a machine.

How many of those people are going to avoid all sorts of online help in the future, because they are no longer willing to trust people online to be real? Furthermore, a Twitterperson commented that PII isn't just name/address/blahblah, it is very much "details of my mental health problems".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I know every situation is at least somewhat unique, but if I sucked it up and pushed against my conditioning to get some help that I knew I needed deep down, then found out it was some techlord being cute with their stupid nonsense machines I would absolutely walk away from that thinking the people who told me it was all a waste of time were correct and never engage with the whole field again

I'd probably also assume everything I said was made traceable back to me and was being sold to whoever wanted it, and I bet I'd be right