Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

History Comes Inside! posted:

I haven’t had to reinstall windows for like 6 years because I just stopped breaking poo poo to make it work the way I wanted it to and got used to doing things their way

Feels good

I tried that, but years of updates made one of my Windows Installs really hosed, this was around the time I upgraded from 8 to 10 and it was just a loving mess. I reinstalled fresh and I was good. But every time they release a new version of Windows I just do a fresh install because I don't trust MS to not gently caress it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Lot of fed posting going on here:

"Hey gang, I sure do love downloading roms and stealing credit cards, I just wish my computer could do it faster! If you know how to do crimes faster, maybe hop onto the Full of Based Ideas Discord here on Something Awful and talk me through resetting my crime machine."

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Wtf are you talking about

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

fadam posted:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

fadam posted:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Are you alright? We're all feds here.

Damnit I mean friends.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Does anyone know how to make multi key functions with the new Steam Input interface. I mean for a regular pc not a deck, but I didn't get a response in the Steam thread, and I imagine most Deck users are familiar with key mapping.

It used to be very straightforward. Toggle "multi-button" mode, and you could select multiple inputs (like alt+F4) to map to a single button

But that doesn't show up in the new interface.

So how do you do it?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

"Add sub command" in the button menu

e: when you select the gear icon next to the binding. So it's alt for the main bind. Add sub command. F4.

Vic fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 7, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

thanks, I don't think I would've figured that out on my own

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PowerBeard posted:

"Hey gang, I sure do love downloading roms and stealing credit cards, I just wish my computer could do it faster! If you know how to do crimes faster, maybe hop onto the Full of Based Ideas Discord here on Something Awful and talk me through resetting my crime machine."

\|

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Rinkles posted:

thanks, I don't think I would've figured that out on my own

You can now bind complicated patterns to different kinds of key presses. For example your regular press is alt + f4. But you can also add extra command that' gonna be ctrl+alt+del if you hold the button for set time. It's kinda powerful. You can bind tons of stuff to just one button.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Vic posted:

You can now bind complicated patterns to different kinds of key presses. For example your regular press is alt + f4. But you can also add extra command that' gonna be ctrl+alt+del if you hold the button for set time. It's kinda powerful. You can bind tons of stuff to just one button.

Unless I’m misunderstanding, you could always do that using multiple activators.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Unless I’m misunderstanding, you could always do that using multiple activators.

welp, maybe that's why they changed it around. I had no idea.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is there a way to edit and test Deck controller configurations without being in a game that uses them? It’s sort of clumsy to do it while playing something and I’d love a simple thing that just displayed the inputs it received while letting me copy my input spec to an arbitrary game.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

PowerBeard posted:

This is very, very silly. Don't post like this.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I set up a cron job to delete my roms every 24 hours to comply with Bill Clinton’s directive

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Installing Windows on a Steam Deck is the lamest federal crime I've ever heard of

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Grand Fromage posted:

Installing Windows is the lamest

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Man Vibrantdeck is a game changer. Put it at 125 and it’s close to my monitor. So much better looking.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

Man Vibrantdeck is a game changer. Put it at 125 and it’s close to my monitor. So much better looking.

:yeah:

It makes the screen look a lot better.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Just ordered my Deck because I wasn’t sure how long the wait would be in Japan.

Was about two hours. Looking forward to getting mine soon.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

theblackw0lf posted:

I finally put in the effort to do this a minute ago and drat, that’s a game changer

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
What's the value prop for installing Windows at this point? Only had my deck for like a week, but I've been able to get everything running on it under the default linux, up to and including Xbox Cloud Streaming. Emudeck is kind of a killer app for this thing, and seems like it would be a lot more complicated on Windows, possibly.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Finster Dexter posted:

What's the value prop for installing Windows at this point? Only had my deck for like a week, but I've been able to get everything running on it under the default linux, up to and including Xbox Cloud Streaming. Emudeck is kind of a killer app for this thing, and seems like it would be a lot more complicated on Windows, possibly.

There's no good reason except for games of publishers who explicitly don't allow their games be played on linux via their anticheat system.

But you can do it which I imagine is enough for a lot of people lol.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Game Pass without streaming, and the handful of games that have invasive anticheat, mostly

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Ah ok

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

If you really want to run windows just install it to a microSD card (probably a 512 though as most of the games that you’d want to run under windows are pretty large).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

History Comes Inside! posted:

I haven’t had to reinstall windows for like 6 years because I just stopped breaking poo poo to make it work the way I wanted it to and got used to doing things their way

Feels good

lmao

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Vic posted:

But you can do it which I imagine is enough for a lot of people lol.

I mean, we've been actively seeing if Linux/Doom will run on it for so long that it is only natural to put windows on something that runs Linux out of the box.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

deong posted:

I mean, we've been actively seeing if Linux/Doom will run on it for so long that it is only natural to put windows on something that runs Linux out of the box.
Linux nerds have been installing Linux on everything that'll take it for so long that I see it as turnabout being fair play. :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's just an x86-64 PC, no big deal.

Oh, there are driver issues and the drivers that exist for Windows are buggy and unsupported?

Well, :smug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

KozmoNaut posted:

It's just an x86-64 PC, no big deal.

Oh, there are driver issues and the drivers that exist for Windows are buggy and unsupported?

Well, :smug:

:laugh:

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Yeah, I’d like to be able to use game pass without streaming but not sure I really want to go through the hassle.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I spent the few hours it took to get Windows running to play Destiny 2 and I think I booted into it maybe twice. It’s not worth the hassle tbh unless you are using it docked.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There's supposedly official dual boot support coming at some point, I may dump Windows on the Deck at that point but also I don't know what I'd actually use it for. Hell I'm already considering building a basic PC to connect to my TV to install SteamOS on just because getting Steam Rom Manager to work is a lot easier with Emudeck. There apparently is a regular Windows desktop version of Emudeck coming, but I don't think there's any kind of expected date for it. At least you can set Steam to launch into Big Picture mode on boot in Windows so it'll still look the same.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Got this thing last night, immediately tried 4 games on it, some of which were partially or marked not supported, and all of them ran flawlessly. Seems pretty good!

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Is there a way to edit and test Deck controller configurations without being in a game that uses them? It’s sort of clumsy to do it while playing something and I’d love a simple thing that just displayed the inputs it received while letting me copy my input spec to an arbitrary game.

what i want is if i make a custom hot wheel for the left pad, i want to be able to copy paste it into other gamepad profiles

Man-In-Madden
Jul 22, 2007

And when the music fades away
I know I'll be okay
Contagious rhythms in my brain
Let it play
My brother who was so afraid of computers he’d call me up to guide him through installing even the simplest of drivers told me of all the tinkering he’s been doing to his Steam Deck and I felt like the proudest parent listening to him. This machine really is something special.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Sleng Teng posted:

Got this thing last night, immediately tried 4 games on it, some of which were partially or marked not supported, and all of them ran flawlessly. Seems pretty good!

It's crazy good, if it just had better battery it would quite literally be perfect to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Kragger99 posted:

I recently picked up the Valve Deck Dock, but I'm noticing the USB ports aren't charging my IPAD mini. My phone charges - only when the Deck is connected to the dock, and when the deck is on, but my ipad will not. I think the phone is charging from the Deck, and not the Dock.

I've done the Dock update, different cables, and still no dice. Any ideas?

Just wanted to provide a follow up on this. Steam support opened a RMA for my Dock as it's supposed to have pass-thru power to the USB ports, and mine doesn't. I saw someone else on Reddit with the same problem/resolution. Probably not wide spread, but wanted to share my exp here.