Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Evil Kit posted:

IMO you do because it increases xp gains. I believe it also helps your stamina but I'll need to double check that, I know the Gym buffs stamina already.

IMO Recycler is pointless, you can just grab whatever scrap bits you need in Raid and build up a bulk over time. Also in your other post are you confusing the Infirmary with the Workshop? Cause the Infirmary def doesn't let you repair armor or weapons, it increases your perm max health and passively regens any missing health while you're in the bunker.

I'll do more indepth thoughts when I get home, I have built both the Shooting Range and Gym though, both are handy for their passive bonuses.

When I said Infirmary I mean the bunker Infirmary vendor that can repair armor but not weapons. As for the Infirmary module I think it increases max health but its big bonus is being able to make medicine and eventually injectable if you take the perk in it

As for the bonus XP from beds, I guess it's something useful because the beds are easy to assemble (gently caress you kitchen and all your forks and pots) but I never really had any issue with being short on XP without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CuddleCryptid posted:

When I said Infirmary I mean the bunker Infirmary vendor that can repair armor but not weapons. As for the Infirmary module I think it increases max health but its big bonus is being able to make medicine and eventually injectable if you take the perk in it

I must admit I think of them as the Ecologists because of STALKER so fair enough, that does make sense.

Imo I think any "free" bed is too far from your stash ATM if you are trying to conserve Energy before going out and forget something, but that may change if they end up making Energy not lose values like Hunger and Thirst currently do.

I think I'm just more attached to passive bonuses you can't get just by going on a raid, so any of the modules that provide such boosts are more important imo. I do want to try scavenger out at some point though.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oops I should stop Naurto running around the bunker, then. I thought energy was paused like hunger and thirst.

No wonder my energy is always going yellow at like 2pm.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Yup, that tripped me up for a bit too till I hovered over the Energy meter and watched it tick down.

Fun fact: don't bother using Syringes in the bunker, they just don't work. At the very least the hunger/thirst filling one doesn't so you just waste it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I can honestly say I have never run out of energy on a run before, you folks are doing some long rear end runs. I think the lowest I ever got was 15/100. Even the ones where I was going for high XP on a run for a quest weren't that bad.

VVV I mean I run a lot too; I don't let my stamina empty around enemies but for crossing the map its full track and field for me.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 6, 2023

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

I can honestly say I have never run out of energy on a run before, you folks are doing some long rear end runs. I think the lowest I ever got was 15/100. Even the ones where I was going for high XP on a run for a quest weren't that bad.

If you sprint constantly it drops faster.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Had some time to try out Green Hell, I did the story but uh yea, you deserve to be eaten by a jaguar, those people didn't want to be contacted but in a white mans arrogance you just had to.

Though when it went to actual survival mode, I couldn't find any small rocks. Is there some trick to getting them before you have a tool to break down the big rocks?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

twistedmentat posted:

Had some time to try out Green Hell, I did the story but uh yea, you deserve to be eaten by a jaguar, those people didn't want to be contacted but in a white mans arrogance you just had to.

Though when it went to actual survival mode, I couldn't find any small rocks. Is there some trick to getting them before you have a tool to break down the big rocks?
You can just right-click and choose harvest on a big rock to smash it apart.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

twistedmentat posted:

You can just right click on a large rock and say harvest. You don't even need to be in the inventory. You should also try right clicking on river water and looking at those options! You can find small rocks at the riverside too but they're not worth looking for.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

redreader posted:

You can just right click on a large rock and say harvest. You don't even need to be in the inventory. You should also try right clicking on river water and looking at those options! You can find small rocks at the riverside too but they're not worth looking for.

I did that and nothing happened so I assumed I needed a tool to bust them. I noticed the command menu isn't super great in this so i probably was just clicking a pixel off.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CuddleCryptid posted:

VVV I mean I run a lot too; I don't let my stamina empty around enemies but for crossing the map its full track and field for me.

I've never run out of Energy either but I obsessively keep all my bars in the green if I can because I'm a weirdo Nutritionist is a very good specialization to keeping you alive and +25% stamina regen is nice.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
This discussion makes ZS sound even better because there are clearly benefits to most stuff and it's a bit of personal preference what you build, instead of there being a correct way and an incorrect way.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

twistedmentat posted:

I did that and nothing happened so I assumed I needed a tool to bust them. I noticed the command menu isn't super great in this so i probably was just clicking a pixel off.

It will harvest the rocks but I'm pretty sure it doesn't tell you what happened so you need to check your inventory to see what new stuff is in there. On that note, you should try right clicking then harvesting literally everything you get your hands on.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

RE: workshops in ZE, I can confirm that the ammo and scavenger modules need to be manually collected from. I didn't realize it because you have to interact from the "front", ie the southernmost point, which was a tiny area for me since it's in the cutoff separate room and it looked like the front was oriented to the right.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

HopperUK posted:

This discussion makes ZS sound even better because there are clearly benefits to most stuff and it's a bit of personal preference what you build, instead of there being a correct way and an incorrect way.

ZS is very good, and I'm looking forward to tier 2 modules other than Storage get added to make it even more interesting of a choice. There's some balance needed in Specializations IMO as there are some clear stand out better choices for some of them. Humans being the most threatening enemy cause of their guns makes both Sniper and Stealth the best respective specializations imo (I didn't pick Stealth!), more max health is always the best choice so Nutritionist is a no-brainer (if you get enough skill books lol).

Looking forward to the next update, if the new levels that get added aren't just oops all humans and you have to seriously consider dealing with way too many mutants, I think it'll make a much more meaningful decision for what specialization to take.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

redreader posted:

It will harvest the rocks but I'm pretty sure it doesn't tell you what happened so you need to check your inventory to see what new stuff is in there. On that note, you should try right clicking then harvesting literally everything you get your hands on.

I'll try that out. It was a bit frustrating that as soon as the survival part of the story began, a Jaguar was stalking me. It even followed me up a fallen tree.

Didn't help while I was trying to avoid it I was bitten by a snake. Hey, is this like Long Dark were animals are scared of fire?

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

twistedmentat posted:

Hey, is this like Long Dark were animals are scared of fire?

It'll deter animals snooping around but it doesn't create a repulsion field like TLD; if jaguar actively wants a piece of your rear end it's gonna ignore the fire. And fire can attract attention from the natives. You did just get unlucky with that start tho, I've had entire fairly long playthroughs where I never even saw one.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Picked up Zero Sievert and immediately fell into my early Tarkov habit of ratting around with a SKS.

Game good.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Bussamove posted:

Picked up Zero Sievert and immediately fell into my early Tarkov habit of ratting around with a SKS.

Game good.

Tbh the SKS can get you through the entire game with the exception of the biggest mutant or the toughest human boss. It's super good

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Sks? Oh I want ZS now.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

twistedmentat posted:

Sks? Oh I want ZS now.

Yup, with a decent variety of attachments. Also a TAPCO SKS, though unlike Tarkov you can't just attach a bunch of parts to a regular SKS to make a TAPCO version, its considered a separate gun.

All the guns were given genericized names so its actually named something different (MKM), but you can change the names back by editing a file in the install.

(not my pic, this person clearly uses the sniper specialization, I hate sniper scopes, lol)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Is it goon-made? I remember an older science fiction turn-based survival game where you wake up in a pod in an abandoned laboratory and use plastic bags as a basic carrying tool which was made by a goon and seems to share some elements with Ostranauts which is sold bundled with ZS on Steam.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yup, with a decent variety of attachments. Also a TAPCO SKS, though unlike Tarkov you can't just attach a bunch of parts to a regular SKS to make a TAPCO version, its considered a separate gun.

All the guns were given genericized names so its actually named something different (MKM), but you can change the names back by editing a file in the install.

(not my pic, this person clearly uses the sniper specialization, I hate sniper scopes, lol)

That person also appears to have modded their pistols down to 1x1 size.

Private Speech posted:

Is it goon-made? I remember an older science fiction turn-based survival game where you wake up in a pod in an abandoned laboratory and use plastic bags as a basic carrying tool which was made by a goon and seems to share some elements with Ostranauts which is sold bundled with ZS on Steam.

Not as far as I'm aware.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I did not know you could rotate the weapons in inventory like that.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Arrath posted:

That person also appears to have modded their pistols down to 1x1 size.

A few pistols are 1x1, but the game should probably have the size/footprint changing with certain mods like Tarkov does.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

A few pistols are 1x1, but the game should probably have the size/footprint changing with certain mods like Tarkov does.

Huh, guess I haven't picked any up in so long I flat out forgot.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Private Speech posted:

That's Neo Scavenger, I think.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Picked up ZS but I'm not sure I really "get" it. Got mauled by dogs, found six guys with assault rifles who killed me in 0.2 seconds, inventory fills up with stuff I can't make heads or tails of. Can someone sell me on it? It's not giving me the "ah, died, let's go again!" feeling of a soulslike or a regular roguelike.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

Picked up ZS but I'm not sure I really "get" it. Got mauled by dogs, found six guys with assault rifles who killed me in 0.2 seconds, inventory fills up with stuff I can't make heads or tails of. Can someone sell me on it? It's not giving me the "ah, died, let's go again!" feeling of a soulslike or a regular roguelike.

If you’ve never played Escape From Tarkov it’s hard to explain the appeal, because there’s a very specific sort of brain worm I’m infested with that loves both of them. Both are unforgiving, punish not paying attention, and will occasionally just screw you over with little to no warning. Both reward going out into a map with a plan— searching for a specific type of item, killing bandits/animals for tasks, etc— and getting out while the getting is good because if you push your luck you’ll find yourself dead with nothing to show for it.

Don’t try to slug it out in firefights. Take out one bandit, or even just wing them, then back off to come at them from another angle. Hit and run tactics are the order of the day. At least in forest bandits will check out where they last saw you, then fan out a bit to keep searching. Make good use of extended vision by holding RMB and taking potshots. And of course if you’re too injured and lack healing just run.

There’s a steep learning curve to both but eventually it clicks. The odds are stacked heavily against you at first, so you need to learn the ways of the rat.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

There's basically no cost to extracting then going back in. Extract early, extract often.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Evil Kit posted:

On a certain level I enjoyed Dysmantle quite a bit as a zen experience, but man the grind just gets kinda nuts late on. The story is also... not good.

I will spoil this for y'all so you aren't wasting your time when you finally find it trying to figure out how to get in: there is a locked door in an end game area you will find. This isn't really explained but to open it, you must get to that point in the game without dying. Yes, including not using your handy suicide teleport pills that return you to your last campfire.

There are a lot of stupid ways to die, but there are also some decently tough required combat sections that you will probably die to on your first playthrough. So don't worry about that door and just enjoy breaking the world apart.

The door in question should really be thought of as an easter egg / optional challenge as the content for it has not been finalised and it currently does not do anything.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Bussamove posted:

If you’ve never played Escape From Tarkov it’s hard to explain the appeal, because there’s a very specific sort of brain worm I’m infested with that loves both of them. Both are unforgiving, punish not paying attention, and will occasionally just screw you over with little to no warning. Both reward going out into a map with a plan— searching for a specific type of item, killing bandits/animals for tasks, etc— and getting out while the getting is good because if you push your luck you’ll find yourself dead with nothing to show for it.

Don’t try to slug it out in firefights. Take out one bandit, or even just wing them, then back off to come at them from another angle. Hit and run tactics are the order of the day. At least in forest bandits will check out where they last saw you, then fan out a bit to keep searching. Make good use of extended vision by holding RMB and taking potshots. And of course if you’re too injured and lack healing just run.

There’s a steep learning curve to both but eventually it clicks. The odds are stacked heavily against you at first, so you need to learn the ways of the rat.

The Lone Badger posted:

There's basically no cost to extracting then going back in. Extract early, extract often.

Alright, thanks. I'll give it until the refund period if nothing else.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It also helps to take on tasks from the Bar and Infirmary vendors, they give some grocery lists of things to look out for.

But yeah its definitely a hard game, and it's something that's good because of the feeling from scavenging through trash and finding a very rare, very expensive item you feverishly haul out of there. If you don't end up vibing with that then it's totally reasonable.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

How is the sort of survival aspect outside of “don’t get shot in a map?” Am I managing food and water and supplies in a meaningful way, or is it just sort of a money/supply check that I have to pass sometimes? I hear about base modules, am I building or customizing much of a base or is this just sort of almost rogue-like permanent upgrades?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Arguably the energy, food, water and radiation parts are more like soft and hard limits on how long you can be in a raid, as well as different penalties for letting them hit dangerous levels.

Theoretically if you do a bunch of really short, rapid raids only grabbing bare minimum early game you could probably run dangerously low on your ability to safely get food from the Barkeep but longer raids you can certainly scrounge enough food and drink to keep you going for longer.

I've not actually tried or looked up what letting any of your energy, hunger, or thirst bars hit 0 or maxing out your rads but I wouldn't be surprised if it was crippling or straight up death. The latter especially for rads.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Anime Store Adventure posted:

How is the sort of survival aspect outside of “don’t get shot in a map?” Am I managing food and water and supplies in a meaningful way, or is it just sort of a money/supply check that I have to pass sometimes? I hear about base modules, am I building or customizing much of a base or is this just sort of almost rogue-like permanent upgrades?

You do manage food, water and energy. The vendors in the bunker stock enough food and drink to get you through a day, barely (forget about it if you use any injectors, better go scrounge up some snacks), and it'll cost a fair bit of money until you're reliably surviving and making money. Staying well fed and watered gives you a weight capacity increase, satisfied is neutral, hungry/thirsty is a penalty. Energy applies to your stam regen. I'm often scarfing down most of what I loot, to keep that extra weight capacity going.

Base upgrades are permanent, but not in a, say, Rogue Legacy way. Your hideout has 6 slots and there are something like 9 or 10 base modules you can install, with at least one more under development. You're free to swap them out at any time, at the expense of getting none of the building materials for the one you just removed refunded to you. The modules are a mix of resource gatherers (forge, scavenger), passive stat bonuses (gym, shooting range) and crafting benches (kitchen, workshop) or a combo of the above (ammo crafting bench). It's up to you to decide which are most applicable to your situation, as most of them aren't really mandatory. Even the ammo bench isn't, if you're running a weapon you can keep supplied from bandits and hunters and don't insist on running top tier ammo 100% of the time.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
ZS's "survival" is absolutely nothing like The Forest or Green Hell or anything like that. You don't plant seeds or build a raincatcher or secure new food sources, not really. You mostly just loot food while you're out and about and eat it. It's there, and it's more of a nuisance early on, but do not let it convince you this is a survival game in any sense but that you are trying to survive people shooting at you.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

its not the standard survival game this thread usually talks about, its part of the tarkov style extract genre which generally had PvP but has been getting single player entries these days.

The joy is in doing the annoying rear end quests, and the inherent risk/reward for each 'raid' into a zone. ZS is nicer than Tarkov in that dying in raid doesn't drop everything but resets you to before you left (but time has passed). There is also STALCRAFT which I think is similar and sorta a mix of stalker but looks like minecraft.

The popular extract games that are pvpve is Tarkov, Hunt Showdown, CoD DMZ, the division games also had something similar with the dark zone. there is also Badlanders but that one never seemed to blow up

EDIT:
I would say if you are not in love with the concept of ZS, its probably a better idea to wait, its still decently early on even though it has a great core

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 9, 2023

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Agreed ZS is not really a typical survival sim like the majority of things posted in here, but there are def some elements of it and tbh I'd love if they leaned into the survival elements a bit more to add to the difficulty. Especially with the (much enjoyed) lack of PvP, there are many other ways they could tweak the difficulty.

Fingers crossed that some of the yet to be added levels involve longer raids with scarcer food/drink scavenging where you genuinely need to worry about bringing enough with you. It'd make for an interesting balance weight wise as well, and make the foods requiring a Kitchen even more valuable.

As is the most dangerous thing mid raid is radiation. If you aren't rocking an Ecologist faction armor of some kind it seems like a pretty big concern. Spontaneously bleeding and taking damage from letting rads get too high can really eat into your med supplies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Evil Kit posted:

ZS is very good, and I'm looking forward to tier 2 modules other than Storage get added to make it even more interesting of a choice. There's some balance needed in Specializations IMO as there are some clear stand out better choices for some of them. Humans being the most threatening enemy cause of their guns makes both Sniper and Stealth the best respective specializations imo (I didn't pick Stealth!), more max health is always the best choice so Nutritionist is a no-brainer (if you get enough skill books lol).

Looking forward to the next update, if the new levels that get added aren't just oops all humans and you have to seriously consider dealing with way too many mutants, I think it'll make a much more meaningful decision for what specialization to take.

Hold up can you specialize in the bedding l crafting skills too? I just never clicked them. I'm going to lose my mind if they've just been sitting at max.

Earlier in the ZS discussion I mentioned the building in the Camp that's blocked by broken down cars and was told access to it was story gated, but at this point I'm doing quests in the Mall and feel like I might have missed something? Does anyone remember which questline does it?