Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Paracaidas posted:

Following November's heralded widely discussed noticed policy statement, the FTC is coming out swinging on its most stable ground:

https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1611016373416898560
https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1611017064101314560
https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1611018579541102595

This marks a big step for the FTC in addition to being a tidy policy win on its own merits.

Yeah, but...people having more money is gonna cause much more inflation, you see. So really this is bad.

Mizaq posted:

I didnt sign the revised employee handbook even as a VP because they tried to sneak in no drinking on the job. my job was to drink during lunch with suppliers and customers.

Are you guys hiring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

A GOP sex scandal was not on my list today, but throw it on the pile

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1611168274896785409

I mean a Republican sex scandal is basically a free space on any day's political bingo. I will admit I'm surprised it floated anywhere near to the top of the media churn with McCarthy doing his best to put in an early nomination for "Most humiliated idiot, 2023".

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Walker's race tested the limits of a sex scandal affecting a Republican. They might not win, but they won't make themselves vanish.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Anyone listening to Bidens speech? He just said "Imagine if a mob broke into the UK parliament to overturn the election for Speaker of the House"

🤣🤣

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Is their any reasonable chance of the republicans working out a deal with democrats to choose a speaker or do we get to watch them bash their heads against the wall trying to negotiate with the children of the moron caucus?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Is their any reasonable chance of the republicans working out a deal with democrats to choose a speaker or do we get to watch them bash their heads against the wall trying to negotiate with the children of the moron caucus?

No.

They will bash their heads until Kevin gets 218 votes. He almost definitely will eventually, but a group of them are apparently having a bet to see how far he will debase himself with promises he can never fulfill or personal embarrassment before they do.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shrieking Muppet posted:

The only way we get some form of a Unity House is for McCarthy to withdraw his nomination. Even then, it's likely that the next candidate put forward wins because the only real reason for people not to vote for McCarthy, is because it's McCarthy.

So McCarthy has to withdraw, the next guy then has to lose, and the next next guy has to find a way to ensure that the Democrats trust him to not just laugh at them once he's Speaker. It's not a very easy needle to thread.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Shrieking Muppet posted:

McCarthy somehow attempting to make a deal with Democrats would be incredibly self-defeating and cost him as many votes from his own party as he picked up from any such deal, even if the Democrats were completely stupid enough to trust that McCarthy would fulfill the terms of whatever he promised them.

He's going to keep begging the crazies to support him and making promises to them until the dam finally breaks, because that's literally the only path he has to the speakership. The only other way out of this situation would be for him to step aside and let someone else step up, and he wants this too much to do that.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Gyges posted:

The only way we get some form of a Unity House is for McCarthy to withdraw his nomination. Even then, it's likely that the next candidate put forward wins because the only real reason for people not to vote for McCarthy, is because it's McCarthy.

So McCarthy has to withdraw, the next guy then has to lose, and the next next guy has to find a way to ensure that the Democrats trust him to not just laugh at them once he's Speaker. It's not a very easy needle to thread.

There's also the fact that there is no "next guy" because none of the Republicans want this job. Everyone can see how much of a headache it is for how little gain.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

A GOP sex scandal was not on my list today, but throw it on the pile

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1611168274896785409

isnt schlapp some weird morality police anti lgbtq dickhead?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Alkydere posted:

There's also the fact that there is no "next guy" because none of the Republicans want this job. Everyone can see how much of a headache it is for how little gain.

also the people who want it dont have the votes because they are either hardline nutters or they all hate each other for purity poo poo.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Maybe in a "if I do this maybe they won't think I'm gay" way but he wasn't fooling anyone. Dude is basically the Dom DeLuise character in Blazing Saddles.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Republicans posted:

Maybe in a "if I do this maybe they won't think I'm gay" way but he wasn't fooling anyone. Dude is basically the Dom DeLuise character in Blazing Saddles.

Throw out your hands
Stick out your tush
Hands on your hips
Give 'em a push
You'll be surprised
You're doing the Chud mistake

MAGA

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Is there a republican who isn't an anti lgbtq dickhead?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm hearing some of my colleagues cite this as the death of the GOP and how they're falling apart but I don't buy it and simply think that this is the new normal moving forward. I have to admit though that it's entertaining watching them continue to grapple with the frankenstein monster they've unleashed through decades of talk radio and poo poo. The purveyors of that garbage for the most part never really believed it, even people like Newt Gingrich, but found it useful as a political tool; similar to courting the televangelists and moral majority types.

But their followers believe it all and have grown up on this poo poo to become members of congress that the establishment run of the mill "we just want to be rich" types have no idea how to control or deal with.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I don't think it's the death knell, but it's another nail at a minimum of the rot slowly eroding them as a party.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Frankly it's a nice change of pace to see the Republicans openly not having their poo poo together instead of more Dems Bad Circus

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
There was a lot of whining about how good moderate Dems were screwed over by the evils of the radical left after the election but guess what, turns out it just let the trash out.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I have the feeling that this is just the momentary churn before they coalesce into something new and worse. Remember, everyone thought that nominating Trump would be the death of the GOP too.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Remember that this is a party that believes government is bad and usually isn't interested in governing. The inmates are basically running the asylum in the House now so I'm expecting the next two years to be a shitshow at minimum

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The GOP has been done for most elections of my lifetime and I'm not even 30 yet

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The new normal cannot be that the legislative branch is entirely shut down for two years. Like, that’s just not an option if we want to continue calling ourselves a country. We’d collapse into anarchy before the next election

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Schadenfreude is all we have left because the reality that the GOP has finally figured out the most efficient way to hold the entire government hostage for possibly weeks at a time is a little too much to bear right now, yeah. I hate the American government like, a lot, but I do kind of need it to stay alive, so it's kind of a weird situation.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The GOP has been done for most elections of my lifetime and I'm not even 30 yet

Well by the end of the day they'll have done more elections for speaker over a 4 day period than you've seen in the rest of your lifetime as well.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

haveblue posted:

The new normal cannot be that the legislative branch is entirely shut down for two years. Like, that’s just not an option if we want to continue calling ourselves a country. We’d collapse into anarchy before the next election

It wouldn't be the first time the House did gently caress all for a full term.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

haveblue posted:

The cause of McCarthy's extensive public humiliation isn't just the Freedom Caucus. Sure, the Freedom Caucus is being pointlessly obstructionist and defying party leadership, but they've been doing that for years. It's not uncommon for the House to have a couple dozen cranks that are quietly shoved into a corner and ignored when voting time comes around.

The reason they're able to cause such problems this time is because the GOP completely loving flubbed the midterms and came out of it with only a single-digit margin in the House. Historically, it's pretty rare for the majority party to have a majority this thin - usually, they have a hefty enough majority that a handful of their own members kicking up a fuss can be safely ignored.

Granted, House margins have generally been thinner in the 21st century, but usually not this thin. When Trump took office, the GOP had a 47-seat margin on their majority. They're in this situation because they got absolutely walloped in Trump's midterms, and then barely managed to scrape back a majority in Biden's midterms, leaving them with absolutely no breathing room to ignore the usual selection of fringe weirdoes.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i wonder what other timelines where they got even smaller margins are like.

like is it a smooth line of chaos to +1, or maybe there's counter intuitive plot. maybe we finally get a modern version of the Caning of Sunmer

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

The cause of McCarthy's extensive public humiliation isn't just the Freedom Caucus. Sure, the Freedom Caucus is being pointlessly obstructionist and defying party leadership, but they've been doing that for years. It's not uncommon for the House to have a couple dozen cranks that are quietly shoved into a corner and ignored when voting time comes around.

The reason they're able to cause such problems this time is because the GOP completely loving flubbed the midterms and came out of it with only a single-digit margin in the House. Historically, it's pretty rare for the majority party to have a majority this thin - usually, they have a hefty enough majority that a handful of their own members kicking up a fuss can be safely ignored.

Granted, House margins have generally been thinner in the 21st century, but usually not this thin. When Trump took office, the GOP had a 47-seat margin on their majority. They're in this situation because they got absolutely walloped in Trump's midterms, and then barely managed to scrape back a majority in Biden's midterms, leaving them with absolutely no breathing room to ignore the usual selection of fringe weirdoes.

Pelosi managed a margin like this just fine, despite there being more than enough progressives in the caucus to sink her. Why didn't they? Because democrats all want to actually govern and do things and because Pelosi is actually good at politics and negotiating.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Charlz Guybon posted:

Pelosi managed a margin like this just fine, despite there being more than enough progressives in the caucus to sink her. Why didn't they? Because democrats all want to actually govern and do things and because Pelosi is actually good at politics and negotiating.

It was the Blue Dogs "Problem Solvers" who iirc caused her more problems then say, the Squad.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Sorry if this has been posted already. I scanned back a few pages. Rogers looks like he was talking some poo poo to gaetz and got pulled off

https://twitter.com/Leo_Puglisi6/status/1611575477331951617?t=w_NbpJ0MAkdxXX68iblUNw&s=19

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

I have the feeling that this is just the momentary churn before they coalesce into something new and worse. Remember, everyone thought that nominating Trump would be the death of the GOP too.

It's not without precedent. Nixon and the Southern Strategy, and some of his... Personal issues, led to the eventual expulsion of the "liberal, Rockefeller Republicans" and paved the way for Ronnie, Newt and the obstructionist, "drown the government in the bath-tub" types that came to dominate the GOP for a few decades. Now the culture warriors seem to be trying, how intentionally who knows?, to do the same thing with their "clearing the swamp" ballyhooing. What kind of Republican party comes out of this re-alignment remains to be seen, but I'm going to bet a dollar to a donut (should it be the other way around now?) that it won't be pretty.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Raenir Salazar posted:

It was the Blue Dogs "Problem Solvers" who iirc caused her more problems then say, the Squad.

Did the Squad even have fundamentally different goals than Pelosi? Correct me if I'm wrong (I probably am) - but I think the main differences were how to get to there, and how quickly.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Did the Squad even have fundamentally different goals than Pelosi? Correct me if I'm wrong (I probably am) - but I think the main differences were how to get to there, and how quickly.

Someone thinks so.

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1610749343006621696

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I think time has repeatedly proven that particular Someone is not very good at being correct

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Did the Squad even have fundamentally different goals than Pelosi?

No, turns out they were all loving liars and cowards that immediately collapsed and started killing progressive legislation and breaking strikes the instant Mama Pelosi looked at them.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
If the will of the masses can be so utterly difused, misdirected, and subverted, I imagine it's the same for any fresh politician that actually wants to change things. Then it's just lesser evils and "this is just how it's done". Hell, we're all making similar compromises with our every purchase.

Disclaimer: I am not advocating you identify with politicians.

*edit I can also entertain the idea that for as unrepresentative as our system is, Americans may also be culpable.

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 7, 2023

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't think "the courts are dominated by liberals who keep striking down conservative laws and can't be overruled, let's spend the next fifty years doing everything we can to appoint conservative justices to those courts to get those liberal rulings overturned" is exactly a stroke of political brilliance.

Calling it a "project" or a "strategy" is, I think, rather generous. Taking every opportunity to put loyalists in extremely powerful lifetime appointments is not something that takes a genius. Especially given that those extremely powerful lifetime appointments had been used against them for several straight decades. And the fact that it took more than half a century to accomplish suggests that it wasn't much of a strategy by itself.

The conservative project has achieved victory on all fronts so total that the largest 'progressive' victory of the last twenty years was a lovely hand out to private insurance spearheaded by a crypto conservative who also tried to cut social security while letting his banker buddies off the hook for the colossal economic collapse they initiated. Complaining that their strategy wasn't particularly clever seems like a non sequitur. It also begs the question of why couldn't democrats stay laser focused on a grand project over decades and achieve success by increments? Perhaps they did, and the entrenchment of corporate power is the fruit of the New Democrat's efforts since the 90s.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Trump tax cuts were also originally supposed to be slightly over $7 trillion dollars and they planned to eliminate the filibuster to do so. But, some Senators balked and they ended up doing it via reconciliation which made it "only" $1.7 trillion and partially expire in 10 years.

So, you can look at that as both a huge failure (they caved down to almost 75% less than what they asked for!) or a huge success (one of the top 5 largest tax cuts ever!) depending on your perspective. Same thing with the Roe campaign, which looked like a long drawn out failure to ever reach the finish line for the first 40 years, but then ended up being almost a total success. It really depends on your perspective and what point in time you are analyzing it.

The pro-life movement itself achieved its policy goal, even if the institutional Republican party suffered for it. The huge under-performance in 2022 might prevent them from being able to accomplish some thing if they get a trifecta back in the next 6 years, but we don't really know. The pro-life movement itself is also mad that it took nearly 50 years and now abortion pills are available online and by mail and there is no national abortion ban, so that long delay really did hurt their actual objectives. But, there's no denying that they scored a relatively major policy win that they have been fighting for for nearly half a century.

They won, but they didn't win as hard as they could have won, so who can say if the conservatives are victorious or not? The Trump tax cuts and destruction of Roe were incremental steps towards ultimate policy goals, and ones unlikely to be reversed by democrats even if they have the majority and total control of government. By contrast, the ACA is explicitly *not* an incremental step towards universal healthcare and exists as a bulwark against a developed world healthcare policy. When conservatives win they get essential stepping stones towards their agenda. When 'progressives' 'win' they get roadblocks that will actively impede further progress towards left wing goals.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

haveblue posted:

We went through 8 years with Obama and Republicans obstructing literally everything for the entire time. America is perfectly content to do literally nothing for decades.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Byzantine posted:

No, turns out they were all loving liars and cowards that immediately collapsed and started killing progressive legislation and breaking strikes the instant Mama Pelosi looked at them.

News to me. Got sources for any of that?

(not trying to be lovely, this is legitimately the first I've heard of it and I'd love to hear what this is all about)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Shooting Blanks posted:

The deep and abiding hatred of the DNC illuminati for party progressives was largely made up Twitter stuff, and neither of them were willing to burn everything down just to stick it to Manchin/Sinema, so it tended to be fairly cordial negotiations even when they differed in opinion.