Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Saw this posted on my feed. New album out next week!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlkE2X79HVg

Found out Vader is playing Chicago in a few months, and I'm working out how the gently caress I can see this as it's downtown downtown Chicago. You need a battleplan to do anything down there so I might say gently caress it and get a room and metra in and out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Henchman of Santa posted:

I still have to stuff to re-listen to (just don't have the time anymore!) but I think I finalized my top 10 for the year overall and am pretty solid on the top 10 of just metal albums:

1. Sigh - Shiki: How Mirai continuously reinvents himself is really quite something. Mike Heller is an incredible addition on drums. They haven't been this aggressive in over a decade. Probably my favorite since Imaginary Sonicscape.

2. Ashenspire - Hostile Architecture: Scottish radical anarchist avant-garde metal. In a great year for polemical heavy music this is the best one. Really cool and eclectic instrumentation.

3. Cloud Rat - Threshold: Grindcore with the emotional catharsis of the best screamo. Two absolute killers in a row for them. Probably the best grind band around now.

4. Pure Wrath - Hymn to the Woeful Hearts: The most gorgeous black metal of the year. Nothing original, just really stirring stuff about the Indonesian genocide.

5. Imperial Triumphant - Spirit of Ecstacy: Best skronks of the year. Dizzying, unpredictable stuff. Kenny G has a Metal-Archives page now lol

6. Wormrot - Hiss: Their best work! Lots of different styles incorporated and Arif went all-out for his farewell. Curious to hear what the new Wormrot sounds like without him.

7. Anal Stabwound - Reality Drips Into the Mouth of Indifference: This literal child put out an incredible piece of Defeated Sanity worship.

8. Esoctrilihum - Consecration of the Spiritus Flesh: Don't know how this guy keeps doing it but nobody is crushing it at the same clip as Asthaghul. Horrific blackened death goodness as usual.

9. Messa - Close: I waffle between this and Ashenspire as the ideal 2022 metal album for non-metal fans. It's got a doom base but it's more textural than it is crushing. Great vocals and saxophone. Just a cool experience.

10. Undeath - It's Time... to Rise From the Grave: Prosthetic obviously put a lot of hype behind this because it's baffling that a standard OSDM album was the token metal release to get praise on many music sites' AOTY lists. But execution trumps originality here. This is the most fun record of the year. Only Anal Stabwound and Pharmacist come close in that department.

Honorable mentions: Chat Pile, Boris (Heavy Rocks), The Chasm, Cult of Luna, Ripped to Shreds, Negative Plane, Doldrum, White Ward, Morrow, Mizmor & Thou, Faceless Burial, SpiritWorld

nechochwen didn't even make your honorable mentions wth

i have a few more things to listen to but my top 10 in no order is probably

Nechochwen
Ashenspire
Sigh
Hath
Cloud Rat
Haunter
Esoctrilihum but both records combined so i'm cheating
imperial triumphant
voivod
cult of luna

but i'm leaving off tons of things i loved or like da lot, venom prison, mizmor & thou, cave in because it's metal adjacent, black matter device, artificial brain, tomarum, liminal shroud, blackbraid, tulip, asunojokei, revocation, callous daoboys, god alone, messa, sawtooth grin, white ward...it was a really good year.

I'm gonna go see imperial triumphant with couch slut and cloak next month, first show in forever

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 6, 2023

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Varg posted:

this feels far too good for a mere teenager, he must be a reincarnation or actually possessed by a brutal spirit

some of the best metal ever was made by teenagers

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Got the new Oozing Wound LP three weeks in advance of release and it riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiips

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

A human heart posted:

some of the best metal ever was made by teenagers

True but those albums are rarely this technical and even rarer are still are all instruments performed so well by one kid.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
maybe they practiced feverishly as children instead of posting stupid loving takes on internet forums

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Weaponized Cum posted:

maybe they practiced feverishly as children instead of posting stupid loving takes on internet forums

a wasted life

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Noisem - Agony Defined was one of my favorite death/thrash albums last decade and I remember being surprised when I heard a bunch of teenagers wrote it. It's still rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2on5JY5ygI

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So I'm checking out the Watain that came out last year, and it's pretty good. These guys aren't Nazis, are they? The album imagery is kinda... sketchy... but everything I've found online says they have actively denounced nazi poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cAqevnLHTA

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CornHolio posted:

So I'm checking out the Watain that came out last year, and it's pretty good. These guys aren't Nazis, are they? The album imagery is kinda... sketchy... but everything I've found online says they have actively denounced nazi poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cAqevnLHTA

I think their controversy was that some touring member did a Nazi salute and that’s why they had to denounce Nazi poo poo in the first place. Could be misremembering.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
watain owns

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

First new poo poo Friday of 2023 and it's a little light, so I'm including some stuff from yesterday

Turpitude, atmoblack
The Howling Void, funeral doom
Iravu, atmoblack
Vosbúð, atmoblack
Geist of Ouachita / Eternal Tomb split, raw bm
Throat Locust, dm
Drakon Ho Megas, meloblack

Few other 2023 releases so far I've enjoyed
Vanagandr, bm
Askeregn, bm
PeelingFlesh, really stupid slam demo
Sadness / For Her... split, dsbm
Rozh, blackgaze

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 6, 2023

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

Southern Cassowary posted:

Noisem - Agony Defined was one of my favorite death/thrash albums last decade and I remember being surprised when I heard a bunch of teenagers wrote it. It's still rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2on5JY5ygI

yo this rules. :)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Noisem kicks rear end. Was fortunate to have seen them when that came out and it blew everyone away. Non-stop energy!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/jan/06/promoters-cancel-australia-tour-of-norwegian-metal-band-taake-accused-of-far-right-sympathies

Apparently Taake had a tour iced due to being too right wing for Australia

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Abysmal Lord put out a new album at the end of the year and it’s more of what they do. Of which I’m a huge fan and it’s exactly what I want out of them.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

True but those albums are rarely this technical and even rarer are still are all instruments performed so well by one kid.

there's a million different kids on youtube who will play tech prog whatever nonsense perfectly, doesn't seem that difficult

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah but but most of them are trying to be guitar influencers instead of rock stars, so the music sucks rear end

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

A human heart posted:

there's a million different kids on youtube who will play tech prog whatever nonsense perfectly, doesn't seem that difficult

None of them sound like Defeated Sanity tho

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Hulk Krogan posted:

Yeah but but most of them are trying to be guitar influencers instead of rock stars, so the music sucks rear end

what's the difference?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Making stupid faces onstage in front of a crowd vs making stupid faces in a thumbnail image so that the algorithm will put it in front of my stupid face, mostly.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

A human heart posted:

The difference is he plays every instrument and his songwriting is good too. Yes there are lots of technical prodigies

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Hard to argue, he went NSBM pretty hard for a while there. Sucks, Nattestid ser porten vid is still one of my favorite BM albums.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I have enjoyed plenty of his music (helps that it's not in English) but I remember the first time people started protesting Taake shows there were the usual suspects arguing that you should be able to be critical of Muslims if you can do the same for Christians but the actual lyrical content was about Arabs invading on flying carpets or some poo poo.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Nothing beats Nokturnal Mortum for me, they were straight up Nazis for several albums but man Goat Horns is so good :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NuJbr5V6vI

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Takes No Damage posted:

Nothing beats Nokturnal Mortum for me, they were straight up Nazis for several albums but man Goat Horns is so good :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NuJbr5V6vI

please no

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah let's not do "everyone post their favorite fascist act" please.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Yeah let's not do "everyone post their favorite fascist act" please.

Honest question: are Meads of Asphodel fascists/nsbm? They get namedropped in that article about Taake but I always thought they were tongue in cheek and wouldn’t guess a song called “Jew Killer” is anti-Semitic (not a good title though)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Arivia posted:

Honest question: are Meads of Asphodel fascists/nsbm? They get namedropped in that article about Taake but I always thought they were tongue in cheek and wouldn’t guess a song called “Jew Killer” is anti-Semitic (not a good title though)

I would!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
unless it's a -core band it's basically guaranteed every song name from a metal band is unironic

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Meads also employed that Pope Richard person who was basically the self-appointed leader of "anti-fascist" metal circa 2017-18 and would block you on Twitter if you pointed out this fact.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Arivia posted:

That whole album is some sort of metal jesus christ superstar thing, I think that song is from the perspective of biblical characters talking about the persecution of Jesus. Still a really stupid choice. They also say the N word in one of the songs on that album too lmao. Pretty sure these guys are just morons and not nazis but it's kind of hard to tell.

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

some hot taakes in the thread.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

bolt thrower

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BOLT THROWER

MikeCrotch