Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I still use an iPod too, even though it has to be restored to factory settings multiple times a year now and can’t hold a charge. I still primarily use Spotify but not everything is on there and I need a device to justify buying albums on Bandcamp. Plus not everything is on streaming! Neil Young is never going to leave my iPod as a political stance, and old metal demos aren’t gonna get a label release anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Henchman of Santa posted:

I still use an iPod too, even though it has to be restored to factory settings multiple times a year now and can’t hold a charge. I still primarily use Spotify but not everything is on there and I need a device to justify buying albums on Bandcamp. Plus not everything is on streaming! Neil Young is never going to leave my iPod as a political stance, and old metal demos aren’t gonna get a label release anytime soon.

I have an ipod nano - one of the little square ones with a touchscreen - that I use every single day. I'd use the classic but the hard drive has started to be a bit clicky and slow and the charging port is flaky and oh, I'm not looking forward to the day it dies. My iphone *can* stream of course and that is mostly where I listen to podcasts now, but I like having my music on the ipod. And I can use the clickwheel even when my eyesight is being particularly lovely - not so a touchscreen.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have a Microsoft Zune that still works and in that way it's physical media that has aged well! It also functions as a space heater.

edit: Do not put it in your pants pocket, they'll immolate. Or your jacket. Matter of fact just don't wear clothes at all with your Microsoft Zune just to be safe.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

You know if you're a Spotify subscriber you can upload your own personal music, so the Bandcamp albums you own can be streamed through there?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Desert Bus posted:

Podcasts are absurdly long audio files of idiots yammering away at each other, made for people who don't know how to read and also hate music.
I'm sure you're kidding but for the really naive crowd ... they're all over the place. There are awesome tightly edited podcasts. There are "radio-format" podcasts. And there are "long form conversation podcasts". Part of the beauty is that you can also easily listen to them at 1.5x-3x speed with pitch-correction.

I'd always just suggest trying several out and see what works for you. I've been an addict for 15+ years myself, but would never push anyone toward anything. I'm kinda annoyed that I do love them so much and it mostly affected how into new music I am.

The music thing is legally problematic. There are a lot that don't care. There are some that play 15 second clips, etc.

edit:

To be clear, I think there are a lot of really awesome informative/educational podcasts. Not just idiots yammering. I really appreciate a few for informing me when I'm ... washing dishes. Or making long bike rides.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

teethgrinder posted:

I'm sure you're kidding but for the really naive crowd ... they're all over the place. There are awesome tightly edited podcasts. There are "radio-format" podcasts. And there are "long form conversation podcasts". Part of the beauty is that you can also easily listen to them at 1.5x-3x speed with pitch-correction.

I'd always just suggest trying several out and see what works for you. I've been an addict for 15+ years myself, but would never push anyone toward anything. I'm kinda annoyed that I do love them so much and it mostly affected how into new music I am.

The music thing is legally problematic. There are a lot that don't care. There are some that play 15 second clips, etc.

edit:

To be clear, I think there are a lot of really awesome informative/educational podcasts. Not just idiots yammering. I really appreciate a few for informing me when I'm ... washing dishes. Or making long bike rides.

they did potentially the laziest troll in history u r allowed to ignore it

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

CJacobs posted:

I have a Microsoft Zune that still works and in that way it's physical media that has aged well! It also functions as a space heater.

edit: Do not put it in your pants pocket, they'll immolate. Or your jacket. Matter of fact just don't wear clothes at all with your Microsoft Zune just to be safe.

I had a Zune and for the like six months after it came out and before the iPod touch came out, that thing was GREAT. And then the iPod touch came out and made it a joke. But those were a beautiful six months

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Waifu Radia posted:

they did potentially the laziest troll in history u r allowed to ignore it

You? You get me.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I have a Creative Nomad 30 GB player that's maybe 17 years old at this point. Still works, but I've had to crack it open a few times to re solder the USB in port and the power socket. It won't recognize any new inputs, so I'm stuck with music now newer than five years. Which is fine, I had it loaded up with basically every song I remember from childhood to a few years ago.

The best part is the headphone jack is on top, and not the bottom like many phones. I've used it so long I don't even have to think about the controls.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I still have my old Creative Zen Vison M. I haven't used it in a good while, but last time I did, it was perfectly functional.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Sony's solid state Walkmans. One of the best DACs in a consumer device, most of them use standard USB cables of some sort, lots of capacity, often packed with quality noise canceling ear buds, optional MicroSD slot for extra storage, and they appear as a drag and drop hard drive instead of needing some bullshit bloatware like iTunes. (I know iTunes has gone the way of the iPod, and I don't care. It always sucked and it still sucks under whatever its name it has now. File that under media apps that didn't age well.)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Sony's solid state Walkmans. One of the best DACs in a consumer device, most of them use standard USB cables of some sort, lots of capacity, often packed with quality noise canceling ear buds, optional MicroSD slot for extra storage, and they appear as a drag and drop hard drive instead of needing some bullshit bloatware like iTunes. (I know iTunes has gone the way of the iPod, and I don't care. It always sucked and it still sucks under whatever its name it has now. File that under media apps that didn't age well.)

Just think if you could go back 15 years and tell yourself that Winamp was the peak media player

:smith:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Icon Of Sin posted:

Just think if you could go back 15 years and tell yourself that Winamp was the peak media player

Until someone inevitably smugs their way into the conversation and goes on about Foobar.

I mean, it was fine. It worked.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If a podcast requires you to listen to it at any speed other than normal then stop listening and do something else lmao

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Icon Of Sin posted:

What's wrong with winamp

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

ilmucche posted:

What's wrong with winamp

Animal cruelty

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Not enough Beavis and Butthead skins

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

ilmucche posted:

What's wrong with winamp

Nothing, that was as good as a media player was ever going to get and it happened 15-20 years ago now. And nobody noticed until it was too far gone.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

CelticPredator posted:

If a podcast requires you to listen to it at any speed other than normal then stop listening and do something else lmao

Absolutely agreed, that is pure psycho poo poo. I have a huge backlog of podcasts to listen to, and you know what? I'll get around to it.

I was once listening to a podcast and everybody was speaking way too fast and I realized I had accidentally toggled over to 1.3x speed, not even that big of an increase, but it was giving me major anxiety.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Some of us have terminal ADHD, and trying to process information at the speed of casual conversation feels like breathing through a straw.

Normally I solve that problem by reading, but I can't do that driving to work.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Desert Bus posted:

You? You get me.

🫂

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Voyager I posted:

Some of us have terminal ADHD, and trying to process information at the speed of casual conversation feels like breathing through a straw.

i wonder if this is why i can't handle podcasts that are just people talking, i can only do narrative ones

i really need to get actual adhd treatment instead of "you're in your 30s you don't need stimulants, have wellbutrin"

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Icon Of Sin posted:

Nothing, that was as good as a media player was ever going to get and it happened 15-20 years ago now. And nobody noticed until it was too far gone.

Winamp still exists, has a streamlined version available, and #justworks.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Extending my sympathies to fellow sufferers of adult adhd. It really is so hard to get treatment of any kind for, even a diagnosis. I've met stubborn and obstinate medical professionals who genuinely don't believe it exists or that yes indeed it can only happen to kids because they saw em eat sugar and bounce off the walls on TV so just eat less of that.

Representation of adhd in film and TV has rivaled South Park levels of cruelty in terms of implying those people are "allowed" to walk through life aloof and disinhibited. Characters like Bart Simpson who became a paranoid zombie on Focusyn, but without it is just able to do anything and then blame it on the adhd. The problem is actually that Bart didn't get receive the right treatment, just the ones his elders said was for him. I didn't want him as my representative as a kid, it caused that to happen to me too where folks just didn't believe adhd was real or medicateable until I was well into my teenage years.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 19:11 on Jan 7, 2023

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Voyager I posted:

I have ADHD and i think people who listen to podcasts sped up are loving alien freakass losers who are trying to speedrun their downtime entertainment

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Everyone loves winamp v5.666, which you need to scale to 125% at least because we're in the future.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Extending my sympathies to fellow sufferers of adult adhd. It really is so hard to get treatment of any kind for, even a diagnosis. I've met stubborn and obstinate medical professionals who genuinely don't believe it exists or that yes indeed it can only happen to kids because they saw em eat sugar and bounce off the walls on TV so just eat less of that.

Representation of adhd in film and TV has rivaled South Park levels of cruelty in terms of implying those people are "allowed" to walk through life aloof and disinhibited. Characters like Bart Simpson who became a paranoid zombie on Focusyn, but without it is just able to do anything and then blame it on the adhd. The problem is actually that Bart didn't get receive the right treatment, just the ones his elders said was for him. I didn't want him as my representative as a kid, it caused that to happen to me too where folks just didn't believe adhd was real or medicateable until I was well into my teenage years.

I got the "You don't have ADHD, you could study as a kid (which he somehow surmised from a single 10 minute conversation" speech just two months ago.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I have adhd, and im normal when doing things

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

mandatory lesbian posted:

I have adhd, and im normal when doing things

Is what we all tell ourselves

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm 40 and do just fine in society. But what I realised over the Christmas break is that I need to stop "saving" my ADD meds for work and use them for basic self-care. I've wasted thousands of dollars not claiming receipts and poo poo, fees on being behind on bills, etc. I just take the pill and it's all magically taken care of. This is the short version.

I can't even really enjoy my time off with respect to reading, games, movies without the medicine.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
if not being able to stand podcasts is a symptom then I don't want the cure

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I only listen to podcasts where "um", "uh", and multiple repeats of the same word in a row are all slowed down 400%

I find that it just uuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhh works for foooooorrrrrrrr how I think

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Alaois posted:

I have ADHD and i think people who listen to podcasts sped up are loving alien freakass losers who are trying to speedrun their downtime entertainment

This is a bizarre thing to get judgmental about.

Though realtalk, it depends a lot on the media. Something that's naturally fast paced or tightly produced isn't an issue and I mostly listen to things that keep me engaged intrinsically, but something like an hour long Youtube rant would have me wishing for death (though I imagine this is exacerbated by Youtube metrics encouraging creators to stretch out their videos).

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Volcott posted:

Everyone loves winamp v5.666, which you need to scale to 125% at least because we're in the future.

No one else got a Winamp monitor? I also use it for Signal but I minimized that for privacy.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Desert Bus posted:

No one else got a Winamp monitor? I also use it for Signal but I minimized that for privacy.

Hell yeah

get that milkdrop on, get some weed, hang out with your buds in the dorm room, it's 2005 all over again baby

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

It really whips the llama's rear end slaps

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Desert Bus posted:

Bento or get out:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

Hell yeah

get that milkdrop on, get some weed, hang out with your buds in the dorm room, it's 2005 all over again baby

I'm super high, I thought this version came with MilkDrop, but it's not there. The MilkDrop website is just a bunch of dead links aside from the Winamp + MilkDrop link, and this is all seeming very sketchy. Do I want to risk having to find a new "clean" copy of Winamp? It's been like 2 decades can I still trust the MilkDrop people?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Bento or get out:

ewww you are gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I kind of know one of the guys who made Winamp, it's weird how loyal people are to it (not that it isn't great).