Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Lot of talk about the K70, but did you know there is more then one of them? They came out with a MK2 version and later on a "PRO" version which is really nice.

:siren:The newest K70 with optical mechanical switches is on sale!:siren:

-28% $129.99
List Price: $179.99
Corsair K70 PRO RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - OPX Linear Switches
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-Switches/dp/B0B9RLFYHW?th=1

I'm using that plus these metal caps on WASD, also on sale!
https://www.amazon.com/Qupei-Switch...B08NWNN6MG&th=1

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Novelkeys is having a sale right now on a bunch of keyboards and keycaps. Definitely worth checking out if you're in the market for a budget board or a nice set of keycaps.

Keychron also announced an 75% with an Alice layout.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I highly recommend the NK65 Aluminum Edition from NovelKeys. Kinda tempted to buy another one, the alien green color is pretty sweet.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Yea, I've got an NK87v1, and it's great after I added washers to the stabs. The v2s already include that fix. It's a great board and a really solid starter base.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone taken apart one of the Lenovo Thinkpad keyboards? Like the stand-alone ones, though I suspect the actual keyboard part is the same as on the laptops.

I got a few drops on it yesterday by just shifting awkwardly while holding a cup and got (what I thought) a few drops on it. I wiped them off and everything seemed fine, but a lot more must've gotten inside because after not using it for most of the day, many keys on the right side stopped working.

Only managed to take off the bezel around it, the actual keyboard seems to be somehow held down to the bottom. Maybe glued? I put a fan to blow on it throughout the day and it changed behavior at every point I tried it. Like once the Enter key wasn't working, then it was, but the spacebar didn't work. At one point some keys resulted in two keys being detected, fo example the right bracket always printed "=]", now it works ok, but the Enter key doesn't work again lol.
Oh my goood what a pain in the rear end, it's definitely not intended to be ever opened :)

It's glued to the bottom plastic case with this adhesive tape, then there are two metal plates, which are glued to the black film, which is glued to the actual metal backing plate.

Then the melted plastic rivets hold the plastic frame so you'd have to break like 50 of them... (slightly gross with years of dirt)

Which would let you take off the frame around the keys seen here. And then you have to remove the keys caps and disassemble every single of these thingies, the larger keys having 4 plastic and 2 metal parts all snapped together

I think I might have met my match :negative:

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Yea, I've got an NK87v1, and it's great after I added washers to the stabs. The v2s already include that fix. It's a great board and a really solid starter base.

Echoing this recommendation. I've built an NK87 EE for my daughter and Aluminum version for a friend. The Aluminum v1 is a no-brainer at $75 if you can deal with the available colors. I would have jumped on a Comet Blue one if I hadn't just finished building a board I got for Christmas.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

drat, after messing around with the Keychron V1 for a few months, I think I'm actually ready to sell my Q5. No one man should have that much aluminum on their desk

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

What're good options for split keyboards aside from the Iris, Moonlander, and Ergodox EZ? Don't mind some soldering.

Sorely tempted by the NK87 EE and some of their desk pads too though

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Got UPS notification my Voynich sets arrive tomorrow.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
So jealous. I thought I'd be a Cool Dude and order a Hibi artisan with my set, so my order won't ship until that arrives at CannonKeys. Oh well, will surely be worth the wait :yum:

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

The patience required to go all in on the custom side of this hobby is... Immense. Still waiting on a keyboard (Aozora) and keycaps (KAT Great Wave) that I ordered well over a year ago.

My Tofu is looking great with "Less but Better" though!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Is there anything like a super detailed keyboard database to help find ones you may like?

I have some pretty specific requirements, and it seems pretty hard to fulfill them.
- Full size keyboard, numpad and dedicated F-key row are a must. No weird layouts for the navigation or arrow keys.
- The distance between the number row and the F-key row must be large enough to not accidentally hit the wrong row, probably about an index finger spacing at least.
- Tactile (or at least not mushy) switches, and quiet.
- 105 key (European) layout available. (Vertical Return key, and that extra key between left shift and Z.)
- Dedicated macro keys are a plus, but if they are there the software has to be really good.
- All else equal, I'd rather have something without RGB nonsense.

I managed to try the Logitech G915 in a store today, and it just barely fails. The key feel is a slight bit too mushy, and the spacing under the F-key row seems a little too narrow.
I already do have a 10+ year old Unicomp buckling spring in storage, I overall like the key feel and layout, but the keys are still a bit heavy and definitely too noisy. The bezel also makes it a bit large.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 7, 2023

handoferis
Dec 25, 2022

nielsm posted:

Is there anything like a super detailed keyboard database to help find ones you may like?

I have some pretty specific requirements, and it seems pretty hard to fulfill them.
- Full size keyboard, numpad and dedicated F-key row are a must. No weird layouts for the navigation or arrow keys.
- The distance between the number row and the F-key row must be large enough to not accidentally hit the wrong row, probably about an index finger spacing at least.
- Dedicated macro keys are a plus, but if they are there the software has to be really good.

I managed to try the Logitech G915 in a store today, and it just barely fails. The key feel is a slight bit too mushy, and the spacing under the F-key row seems a little too narrow.
I already do have a 10+ year old Unicomp buckling spring in storage, I overall like the key feel and layout, but the keys are still a bit heavy and definitely too noisy. The bezel also makes it a bit large.

Sounds to me like you want a RealForce.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

handoferis posted:

Sounds to me like you want a RealForce.

Honestly I wasn't that impressed with those I tried in Japan a few months ago. I think they also only have the choice between JIS layout and US layout, and I forgot the requirement of 105 key (European) layout available.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

nielsm posted:

There really isn't a list, unfortunately.

I'd generally recommend getting a barebones, full-size, board like these:
- Keychron V6: https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-v6-qmk-custom-mechanical-keyboard?variant=40320325386329
- GMMK Full-Size: https://www.gloriousgaming.com/products/gmmk-full-brown-switch

And then buying custom switches like the Boba U4s (if you want silent, with a bit of softness) or Boba U4Ts if you want something solid (highly recommend these) from here: https://stupidbulletstech.com/collections/accessories

Good keycaps can be easily found at places like Cannonkeys, Novelkeys, or even Amazon.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I like the options I'm seeing here, and taking a chance with a combo from their customization. Thank you.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Trying to help a friend buy a full-size mechanical keyboards. Any recommendations?

Requirements:
Wired + Wireless (Could possibly convince her to go wired only, but prefers both)
Hot-swappable
RGB Backlit Keys
Barebones option (she wants silent tactiles)
VIA/QMK would be a plus

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Corb3t posted:

Trying to help a friend buy a full-size mechanical keyboards. Any recommendations?

Requirements:
Wired + Wireless (Could possibly convince her to go wired only, but prefers both)
Hot-swappable
RGB Backlit Keys
VIA/QMK would be a plus

Keychron K4 Pro (barebones) is the closest you're probably going to find. Wireless mechanical is really rare, hotswap even moreso, and then full size narrows it down to maybe one or two altogether. If they can do without the numpad, you'll find more options, and even more options if wireless isn't necessary, either.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Corb3t posted:

Requirements:
Hot-swappable
RGB Backlit Keys
VIA/QMK would be a plus

https://epomaker.com/products/epomaker-th96?variant=40077772062793

This checks most boxes too.

Edit:

They make a barebones version but I'm not sure if it's available for shipping right now:

https://epomaker.com/collections/90-diy-keyboard-kit-case-pbc/products/epomaker-th96-kit?variant=40366890418249

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Does anyone else have a ducky one 3, the keyboard chatter on E is nuts, and I'm wondering if anyone else has found a solution.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

pseudanonymous posted:

Does anyone else have a ducky one 3, the keyboard chatter on E is nuts, and I'm wondering if anyone else has found a solution.
You should probably just replace the switch

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yeah the one 3 series is hotswap so you can just buy a handful of whatever switch it came with and easily swap it out

or use it as as excuse to replace all the switches with something different

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Llamadeus posted:

You should probably just replace the switch

If you google around many people have tried this and it seems to be a software issue, not a specific switch issue, many people report problems with the e and spacebar keys and swapping them out does not solve the issue.

I downloaded this thing off github and it seems to have solved the problem - https://github.com/mcmonkeyprojects/KeyboardChatterBlocker

my last post I had extra e's at least 3 times, in typing this manifesto I've had 0 instances.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

pseudanonymous posted:

Did you update firmware? I had issues initially but not after an update.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I have a Ducky/Varmillo MIYA Pro Mac keyboard. Recently the alt/option key seems to have stop registering key presses. I've downloaded software that logs what codes are registered for key presses, and nothing is registering for the alt/option key (while it is registering for other modifiers like control and command). My assumption is this means the switch is dead and needs to be replaced (which in reality means I'll be ordering a new keyboard in the meantime), but is there any chance this is is a software/layer issue? The keyboard does have different modes that can be selected, but as far as I can tell nothing else has changed other than alt/option not registering, which makes me think it must be a hardware issue.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

My wife has an epomaker and she absolutely loves it. And I love it too, because she brought it on vacation and I found out it's compatible with iPad!

BY THE WAY: why doesn't iPad Pro (that has a USB C port) support any keyboard I want? It would go great with my mini ducky but it's just not supported. YOU WOULD THINK accepting a wired keyboard would be pretty easy.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Splinter posted:

I have a Ducky/Varmillo MIYA Pro Mac keyboard. Recently the alt/option key seems to have stop registering key presses. I've downloaded software that logs what codes are registered for key presses, and nothing is registering for the alt/option key (while it is registering for other modifiers like control and command). My assumption is this means the switch is dead and needs to be replaced (which in reality means I'll be ordering a new keyboard in the meantime), but is there any chance this is is a software/layer issue? The keyboard does have different modes that can be selected, but as far as I can tell nothing else has changed other than alt/option not registering, which makes me think it must be a hardware issue.

Have you tried plugging it into another computer and see if it works? If it's hot swap, you might just need to replace the switch.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

emdash posted:

Did you update firmware? I had issues initially but not after an update.

I tried going to 1.10 and 1.07 and neither fixed the issue, but this chatter utility did.

Just got my Voynich keycaps I'll try to take some pictures.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Got a Keychron Q3 in white the other day for work. I have a Keychron Q1 for my gaming PC and I like it quite a bit. I combined this one with Dasher MT3 keycaps because I'm a big fan of the show Severance and wanted to replicate their keyboards lol.

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 10, 2023

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Tim Whatley posted:

Got a Keychron Q3 in white the other day for work. I have a Keychron Q1 for my gaming PC and I like it quite a bit. I combined this one with Dasher MT3 keycaps because I'm a big fan of the show Severance and wanted to replicate their keyboards lol.

Mac Jones av, Severance fan, and MT3 keycaps all in one post? :five:

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

mariooncrack posted:

Have you tried plugging it into another computer and see if it works? If it's hot swap, you might just need to replace the switch.

Yeah I had tried it on both my Mac and my Windows PC with the same result. However, it turns out I'm an idiot and had hit some combinations of keys that disabled the Windows key (which is the alt/option key when I'm using the keyboard with my Mac). I assume the feature exists to avoid losing window focus while gaming by accidentally hitting the Windows key, but I completely forgot this keyboard had that feature.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Okay I can't decide if this is cute or not

functional joystick!

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

I really need to find a board I want to put my Dasher set on, I just need to find something that's the right shade of blue...

The filament colors these people have for their Boston kit might be a close match, either the Ocean or True Blue colors they have

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

death cob for cutie posted:

I really need to find a board I want to put my Dasher set on, I just need to find something that's the right shade of blue...

The filament colors these people have for their Boston kit might be a close match, either the Ocean or True Blue colors they have

I love the Boston. In fact, I'm typing this message on it. That said, I'm not completely in love with the 3D printed case.

It's super-light, which is in direct contrast to the rest of the boards I daily drive. It's not a bad thing, just something to be aware of.

I also found it to sound terrible and hollow when I first put it together. I got some good foam (and there's plenty of room between the PCB and the bottom of the case, and it sounds a ton better.

If there was a good, reasonably-priced aluminum case for the Boston, I'd buy one in a heart-beat. If I was closer to my parents, I'd work with them (and their extensive toolshed) to build a nice wooden case.

The Boston is a wonderful board with a super-useful layout, but the 3D-printed case has some strong potential drawbacks you should be aware of.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Goons.

I have this ducky keycap set that came as stock on my Shine 7. I noticed today that somehow my 5 key (on the numpad) got broken, one half of the + shape that mounts to the Cherry MX switches just snapped off.

I really don't want to buy another keycap set for this one key. Does anyone have a numpad 5 key they could sell me? It would preferably be OEM profile but at this point I don't know that I care if you have something in Cherry profile. It's R3 but I think they'd all be R3.

Prefer backlit-compatible PBT but honestly anything is fine. Thanks!

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

The temptation to have a one-off aluminium CNCed one is tempting - someone put together instructions and files to make one.

If I had the organizational skills I'd see about setting up a group buy to see if the costs could be reduced, but nobody wants a guy with all my mental illnesses managing this poo poo lmao

Also I just remembered I have an Analog Dreams set coming with enough novelties on the right row to actually fully fill the Boston, so I think that's what I might do...

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Finally got to try out my new office keyboard and give the Outemu Limes a test. Spent a lot of time in meetings, but all the typing I've done is super smooth. Also almost completely silent and WAY quieter than the lovely membrane keyboard they have on the desks by default. Wish they were a bit stiffer, but I supposed that's the cost of silence. I wouldn't like these for gaming or number entry, but they're quite nice for just general typing.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
I now own a HyperX Alloy Origins (on sale) thanks to the school bookstore. I'm in the club now. I Understand. I Get It.

I'm going to enjoy this for a while, play with some various keycap sets & profiles, and just loving get CLACKING AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

VelociBacon posted:

Goons.

I have this ducky keycap set that came as stock on my Shine 7. I noticed today that somehow my 5 key (on the numpad) got broken, one half of the + shape that mounts to the Cherry MX switches just snapped off.

I really don't want to buy another keycap set for this one key. Does anyone have a numpad 5 key they could sell me? It would preferably be OEM profile but at this point I don't know that I care if you have something in Cherry profile. It's R3 but I think they'd all be R3.

Prefer backlit-compatible PBT but honestly anything is fine. Thanks!

I don't, but if you still have the missing piece you could try putting it back in place, wrapping the keycap stem with thread or something else porous but thin, and putting a few drops of super glue on it to reinforce it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Rexxed posted:

I don't, but if you still have the missing piece you could try putting it back in place, wrapping the keycap stem with thread or something else porous but thin, and putting a few drops of super glue on it to reinforce it.

Not a bad idea actually, I might have to do that if I can find the piece. I presume it's somewhere under my keys.