Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Kevin DuBrow posted:

So even in the tunnel built specifically for Teslas they have an employee driving the car? Is it a legality thing?

Teslas tend to burst into flames because of a stiff breeze, so they can't trust their dodgy self-driving because a fire in that tunnel would be a death trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

gschmidl posted:

Yes, and there's no emergency exits in the tunnel.

Luckily they are using cars not known to randomly start on fire

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

But really the best part is how closely it resembles getting on a roller coaster or water ride at an amusement park.

All you gotta do is go down these escalators, stand in line with all these people, and some guy with a uniform and nametag will be like "Here's your car sir, you'll be riding with these 3 people" and you get in and pull down the restraint bar like it's the fuckin Haunted Mansion

We have encountered some unexpected congestion. Please keep your arms and hands inside your DOOM BUGGY

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Tai posted:

Let me just clarify

Tesla built a tunnel under Vegas to shave off 10-15mins walking.
Packs it full of teslas
Hires a load of people to drive them to the other end and pick other people up and return back?

You forgot the light show. It's important.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Molten Llama posted:

You forgot the light show. It's important.

The light show that would almost certainly confuse the auto-driving system that's supposed to guide the car through the tunnel.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

gschmidl posted:

Yes, and there's no emergency exits in the tunnel.

Musk is a genius. I'm sure us mere plebs would never understand his plans.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Data Graham posted:

But really the best part is how closely it resembles getting on a roller coaster or water ride at an amusement park.

All you gotta do is go down these escalators, stand in line with all these people, and some guy with a uniform and nametag will be like "Here's your car sir, you'll be riding with these 3 people" and you get in and pull down the restraint bar like it's the fuckin Haunted Mansion

We have encountered some unexpected congestion. Please keep your arms and hands inside your DOOM BUGGY

exactly! enormous vibes of the hershey park 'factory tour' but with nothing interesting to look at and no free piece of candy at the end

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Like just imagine a roller coaster/haunted house carnival ride being presented as efficient mass transit to move large numbers of people and that's the fuckin LOOP :chaostrump:

Superficially similar detail features, wildly different goals

The Postman
May 12, 2007

https://youtu.be/GIyrLUVC6Zk

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

This is surreal & hosed up.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The vegas loop is literally one battery fire away from 200 people being calcined to the point they sont know where the cars ans bodies are. That thing is a horrendous deathtrap waiting for a mont blanc tunnel fire.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I just live how chaotic and undignified the whole thing is compared to even taking a bus

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

The Morgantown, West Virginia Personal Rapid Transit System debuted in 1975 and is electric, actually driverless, several times larger, more efficient, and safer than the Vegas Loop.

West Virginia.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1611768674653982720

getting a lot of flak for my cars that burst into flames and run over children... maybe retweeting this will help instead of actually improving the safety of the vehicles

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012
Can you even open the door in a tunnel that tight? Like, you'd literally be trapped in a coffin with no way to get out if there is a fire

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

why the christ does it need to involve cars and drivers and steering wheels and anything other than a tracked centralized system at all, if the cars don't leave the loop. Literally all the functionality is already solved by the above poo poo

The only possible reason is if the cars are supposed to leave the loop and do their own thing on surface streets, which a) why and b) what value does this tunnel add then over just driving there on the regular street

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

The only possible reason is if the cars are supposed to leave the loop and do their own thing on surface streets, which a) why and b) what value does this tunnel add then over just driving there on the regular street

Tesla gets to sell a bunch of Teslas to Las Vegas and put a bunch of people in Teslas for a little Tesla demo.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Another genius invention by ol' Muskie. An underground tunnel for mass transit but instead of an extremely efficient vehicle system that can hold hundreds, it's separate cars that hold 3 people each and all of them need separate drivers! Why did no one think of this earlier?

One of the replies "its just Uber but underground" lol

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 7, 2023

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Does anyone know how much it costs to go on Mr Musk's Wild Ride? I've never seen a fare mentioned.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

people are asking a lot of questions that my "teslas are super safe" tweet already answered

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Data Graham posted:

why the christ does it need to involve cars and drivers and steering wheels and anything other than a tracked centralized system at all, if the cars don't leave the loop. Literally all the functionality is already solved by the above poo poo

The only swine dumber than Elon are the ones eating his poo poo.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Does anyone know how much it costs to go on Mr Musk's Wild Ride? I've never seen a fare mentioned.

$1.50 apparently for a single ride lol

Maybe the cheapest thing you can do in Vegas, even if it is a regular rear end car ride through a gamer lights tunnel

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

I have hit a dozen or so children so far, and not one bone splinter or blood spatter has hit me.
They are that safe.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
It's truly revolutionary, as in we are spinning back around in time. Soon Musk will debut a new green platform vehicle that will be a Tesla that is pulled by some kind of large domesticate animal. Possible tigers, or a cow of some kind.

Tbd 2 years away!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Pictured: the new Tesla Model S-Tag.

The new stagways will be full of RGB lights

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
Put the animals in a tube too, they love that

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Lamech posted:

Put the animals in a tube too, they love that

we all loved the fish tube

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hello thread has Elon done anything stupid recently?

I assume there's always stupid, I just can't keep up with all the comings and goings

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I'm assuming that if you complain afterwards you might not have to pay and instead get a horse.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Konar posted:

$1.50 apparently for a single ride lol

Maybe the cheapest thing you can do in Vegas, even if it is a regular rear end car ride through a gamer lights tunnel

Huh, that's honestly a lot cheaper than I expected.

Got to wondering if you tip the driver, which led to me fantasizing about hitting it big at blackjack and offering to tip $500 or something to take the car out of the loop. "C'mon buddy, you must hate driving the same tunnel 8hrs a day, let's take this thing for a spin!"

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

ilmucche posted:

Camera only FSD makes a lot more sense when it's used for a single lane tunnel that has white lines at the edge of the road. At that point build another subway though

I've been a test driver for Lidar FSD I can say without a doubt that Camera FSD is 100% a scam some engineer sold Musk on.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
This is a very stupid idea for another reason.

What is the soil type under vegas? *googles*

"Clay, sand and rock-hard caliche make up the majority of soil types found within the Las Vegas Valley, but one thing they all have in common is a small percentage of organic matter - which is needed to support plant life."

He put a tunnel with no ventilation though clay?

I wonder what happens when you do that *googles*

"In summer, temperatures on parts of the London Underground can become very uncomfortable due to its deep and poorly ventilated tube tunnels: temperatures as high as 47 °C (116 °F) were reported in the 2006 European heat wave"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bottom Liner posted:

One of the replies "its just Uber but underground" lol

Except instead of the part where you search and specify your destination, there's just a big button that says "POINT B"

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

learnincurve posted:

"Clay, sand and rock-hard caliche make up the majority of soil types found within the Las Vegas Valley, but one thing they all have in common is a small percentage of organic matter - which is needed to support plant life."

"In summer, temperatures on parts of the London Underground can become very uncomfortable due to its deep and poorly ventilated tube tunnels: temperatures as high as 47 °C (116 °F) were reported in the 2006 European heat wave"

Part of the reason its an issue in london is the braking of the tube trains is putting large amounts of latent heat into the surrounding clay, and its building up over time. Which wont be an issue with the teslas (except if one catches fire of course), but its still stupid for a million other reasons as well.

slagmatic
Apr 28, 2004

glowy melty swirling things!

Tetrabor posted:

I've been a test driver for Lidar FSD I can say without a doubt that Camera FSD is 100% a scam some engineer sold Musk on.

Doesn't LIdar typically require the goofy looking roof based equipment, like Waymo has? I wouldn't be surprised if Elon's primary motivation to avoid Lidar is based on aesthetics, and he ignored the advice of his engineers so the cars could look "cool".

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

learnincurve posted:

The tube's problems are specific to being a functioning mass transit system moving at reasonable speeds.

Even at the Loop's pathetic promised volumes and speeds (which it is nowhere near), it is unlikely to ever have a heat exhaust problem.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Data Graham posted:

Except instead of the part where you search and specify your destination, there's just a big button that says "POINT B"

As Elon musk said, all user input is error. The Tesla knows better than you where you want to board and depart, and it's two fixed points in Vegas

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer
So we just need to add cheap rear end rgb leds to buses and trains. Suddenly all these rubes will think that local mass transit is the future.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

To be fair... posted:

So we just need to add cheap rear end rgb leds to buses and trains. Suddenly all these rubes will think that local mass transit is the future.

Literally yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

this is one of those backrooms things right