Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Finally cleared lag (guess it was server side because i changed nothing) and played.

Hit a daemon host that was on a stairway surrounded by little dudes. Had no idea it was there nor what it did at the time.

Got murdered and then it just left which is fine.

Try to text chat "sorry i didnt know what that was first game." Doesnt actually send the chat for some reason?

After spectating a moment trying to figure the chat issue out. Game crashes to desktop.

BUT full credit it let me join back in (so better than COD DMZ) and we completed the run.

Games interesting dunno how long Ill play. Are the cosmetics only pay store or are there any earnable ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

ZeusCannon posted:

Finally cleared lag (guess it was server side because i changed nothing) and played.

Hit a daemon host that was on a stairway surrounded by little dudes. Had no idea it was there nor what it did at the time.

Got murdered and then it just left which is fine.

Try to text chat "sorry i didnt know what that was first game." Doesnt actually send the chat for some reason?

After spectating a moment trying to figure the chat issue out. Game crashes to desktop.

BUT full credit it let me join back in (so better than COD DMZ) and we completed the run.

Games interesting dunno how long Ill play. Are the cosmetics only pay store or are there any earnable ones?

There are cosmetics that you'll get by completing penances (aka challenges). Some are real simple like "reach level x" while others may require a little more effort.

There are also cosmetics for sale in the store that uses normal in-game earnable currency. Once you've gotten to the point where you can play missions on difficulty 4 and 5, you'll have more currency than you know what to do with. Those store cosmetics are unfortunately pretty much all just recolors of two or three outfits.

The store that requires real currency is also the one with the unique cosmetics. So if you want a fancy gold skull mask for your zealot or to dress up like a guardsman from a lore-specific regiment, that is thus far your only option.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Arc Light posted:

There are cosmetics that you'll get by completing penances (aka challenges). Some are real simple like "reach level x" while others may require a little more effort.

There are also cosmetics for sale in the store that uses normal in-game earnable currency. Once you've gotten to the point where you can play missions on difficulty 4 and 5, you'll have more currency than you know what to do with. Those store cosmetics are unfortunately pretty much all just recolors of two or three outfits.

The store that requires real currency is also the one with the unique cosmetics. So if you want a fancy gold skull mask for your zealot or to dress up like a guardsman from a lore-specific regiment, that is thus far your only option.

Hmm ok thats not terrible these days I suppose. If the games are fun enough

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

In VT2 I have a weekly quest that is 'do the weekly event 0/1' but there are no weekly events. is that normal?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I found the best spot to get the psyker's cliff hanger penance. At the climax of Hab Drako, after the bridge explosion, there's a door that spawns a small horde right next to a cliff.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I think I got mine in the smelter. It’s easier now that they reduced the number since the beta. I’ve been trying to get the perils explosion one without cheesing it and got 2/3 elite kills twice now lol. I’m also 4/5 on the brain burst heresy kill one but haven’t been focused on that. Some day I’ll ping the discord for help cheesing the “solo a monstrosity” one.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Kaysette posted:

I think I got mine in the smelter. It’s easier now that they reduced the number since the beta. I’ve been trying to get the perils explosion one without cheesing it and got 2/3 elite kills twice now lol. I’m also 4/5 on the brain burst heresy kill one but haven’t been focused on that. Some day I’ll ping the discord for help cheesing the “solo a monstrosity” one.

someone said they did it by stacking wounds and just dying then getting picked up then dying then getting picked up then dying and it took around 3 peril explosions to kill the elites from 100 to 0

they did it with ragers i think and their teammates just tanked for them

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Typical Pubbie posted:

I found the best spot to get the psyker's cliff hanger penance. At the climax of Hab Drako, after the bridge explosion, there's a door that spawns a small horde right next to a cliff.

I tried this on Drako yesterday night on Malice and would you believe the door never fuckin opened?

I've run Drako like 50 times and that door always opens and spills out Pox Walkers and the one time I actually loving want it to it doesn't.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

anyone know a workaround to get rid of subtitles permanently? Setting wont stick, its "off" in the menu but is turned on every time the game is restarted :fatshark:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Did you set your config file to read-only

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ok that's it. Hard locked again I rejoin and instantly fall through the map and die. I'm out until they fix this loving game.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

For people still getting lag and 2001 errors, Google how to disable you ip6, game doesn't support it and my game has been smooth sailing since. I can't guarantee that's your problem but it solved mine.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
2023 and IPv6 is still a pipe dream

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Make Bardin a squat and throw him in Darktide.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

The Demilich posted:

Make Bardin a squat and throw him in Darktide.

:hmmyes:

Bardin with a shotgun and an axe.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Slowly coming around to the idea that bulwarks are worse than hounds (not accounting for lag).

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Typical Pubbie posted:

Slowly coming around to the idea that bulwarks are worse than hounds (not accounting for lag).

I really want the shield model to match the shield hitbox. It’s annoying as hell to be shooting a bulwark in an exposed area on their side and hear the shield plink.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Mendrian posted:

For people still getting lag and 2001 errors, Google how to disable you ip6, game doesn't support it and my game has been smooth sailing since. I can't guarantee that's your problem but it solved mine.

what.

we've been talking about the move to ipv6 for donkey's years and game devs are still not implementing a ipv6 stack?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
How do you stay alive in melee combat as a veteran? I seem to go down really easy, often without all my toughness being lost which I don't understand. I can use a powersword okay, usually charge it, make a few swings and then dodge out to charge again and go back in, but I usually still get tagged from behind or something.

Also can I do more to encourage the store to offer me better rated gear? I gather it's based on your existing gear but I mostly still get 300-330 in stats I think. Is this as good as it gets?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

BizarroAzrael posted:

How do you stay alive in melee combat as a veteran? I seem to go down really easy, often without all my toughness being lost which I don't understand. I can use a powersword okay, usually charge it, make a few swings and then dodge out to charge again and go back in, but I usually still get tagged from behind or something.

Also can I do more to encourage the store to offer me better rated gear? I gather it's based on your existing gear but I mostly still get 300-330 in stats I think. Is this as good as it gets?

If you sprint as the vet, secretly it makes you take double damage. So, don't do that in combat.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

BizarroAzrael posted:

That's as good as the store gets. I think it's tied to level and not current gear.

If you're getting hit from behind a lot, you're doing at least two things wrong. First, look behind you more in combat. When you are dodging out to charge your sword, that'd a great time to spin around, check for threats, and make sure everyone on your team is okay. The second thing to do is always be listening for the "whoosh" sound effects that plays when you're about to be hit, and start blocking or dodging as soon as you hear it.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

Wait for the zombie to start its attack animation and then dodge back and shoot it in the face

https://twitch.tv/videos/1700938521

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Important to remember block works 360 degrees and comes out instantly so just block a lot. Vet has lovely stamina and no escape so you really don't want to get surrounded.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

My big beautiful boy Dronk (right) and Johnny.

Did a run with three Ogryns and the last one was named Stonk.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 8, 2023

disbest
Jun 16, 2005

Pillbug
So far I've been really liking the ogryn power maul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhO-wLbCpZ8

I love the little scream the one dude makes as he goes cartwheeling over the railing.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

disbest posted:

So far I've been really liking the ogryn power maul.

I love the little scream the one dude makes as he goes cartwheeling over the railing.

The uppercut on the second light attack is pretty nice for giving Nurglites airtime as well.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I'm more effective with the shovel or bull cleaver, but drat that weapon is fun.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

I really like the power maul on zealot, you can basically manage an infinitely sized crowd as each activation light attack creates a giant bubble of knocked down enemies surrounded by a ring of staggered enemies.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Fanelien posted:

what.

we've been talking about the move to ipv6 for donkey's years and game devs are still not implementing a ipv6 stack?

Most internet providers don't even support it yet.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

BizarroAzrael posted:

ABB

Always Be Blockin. If youre just looking around for targets or where to go, and not actively sprinting somewhere, just keep block up. Block works all around you and basically anytime youre not actively doing something its a good idea to keep it up just for those occasions where a single poxwalker survivor pokes you from behind.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Mega Comrade posted:

Most internet providers don't even support it yet.

Mine does, and I'm in Australia!

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

toasterwarrior posted:

Did you set your config file to read-only

no

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Fishstick posted:

ABB

Always Be Blockin. If youre just looking around for targets or where to go, and not actively sprinting somewhere, just keep block up. Block works all around you and basically anytime youre not actively doing something its a good idea to keep it up just for those occasions where a single poxwalker survivor pokes you from behind.

Huh.

I foolishly assumed my sword could only block in front of me because I'm not some kind of octopus abhuman, but I guess that'll be my new winning tactic

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It'll cost double stamina if you block from behind, but that's better than taking a stray hit.

mexi
Mar 17, 2003

Time to call it a night.
yeah servers must gave been doing something weird. I started noticing I was getting more than my usual 3 to 4 charged heavy swipes on my power sword but then got 14 swings. My blessings are +3 rending on charged hit and 10% cleave

https://i.imgur.com/QVjjc7f.mp4

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

mexi posted:

yeah servers must gave been doing something weird. I started noticing I was getting more than my usual 3 to 4 charged heavy swipes on my power sword but then got 14 swings. My blessings are +3 rending on charged hit and 10% cleave
I wonder if that's why Fatshark doesn't nerf it all that much; it's only supposed to have one charged swing but the more latency you have to more swings you get :D

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

One thing I don't see people doing as much is if you're running camo on vet (which you should its OP) - you should be positioning yourself a few steps ahead of your team and they should naturally be positioning slightly behind you / drawing enemies past you. With camo you don't get targeted and what this does is funnel enemies by you in a completely no stress environment where you can just focus on hacking away at the horde with your powersword. This is great for big horde segments or anywhere with a choke point. In a choke the vet should be by the choke entrance and everyone else inside the choke. You will blend everyone coming in through the choke for free and cleaning up whatever is left is very easy for the rest of the team.

I think a lot of vets use camo so they can sit somewhere and look out for ranged threats but Volley automatically equips your gun, so IMO once you've unloaded on the initial elite threat in a horde scenario (chopping up all the ragers/maulers/crushers, etc) you should move to position yourself to help out after reloading. If a new ranged threat comes up as long as you are nearby your team you can just activate volley and shoot and you still won't be targeted.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

lol I got yelled at by minnaxing goons in discord for using camo on a difficulty 3 mission

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

ZeusCannon posted:

2023 and IPv6 is still a pipe dream

We've got like 3 IPv4 numbers left, so grab em quick boys!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Cognac McCarthy posted:

lol I got yelled at by minnaxing goons in discord for using camo on a difficulty 3 mission

Why would anyone care what anyone runs on malice or below unless they were dead for over half the run? malice is easy peasy and if they don't think it is and requires what they think is the min/max best, that is more telling about them than anything.