Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can't wait for Ferrari to be 3rd this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Charles Leclerc posted:

Binotto was promoted beyond his capabilities. A good engineer but not a good manager.

management is overrated and his good engineer years turned out to be a sensor trick

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

fatman posted:

They killed Holden for this :(

oh no, what will all the inebriated bogans drive to go gently caress their sister now

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Charles Leclerc isn't Australian

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

track day bro! posted:

oh no, what will all the inebriated bogans drive to go gently caress their sister now

M3s like they always have?

FakeBlood
Oct 23, 2008

Alive and kicking.
The cadillac thing doesn't seem so out of place to me considering the push they've been making since the first CTS-V to be seen as a serious performance brand like an American BMW. Dunno. I just want an 11th team.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
I think I’d rather have three or four teams that could win on a given weekend than another backmarker.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

does the CTS-V still use the SBC engine or whatever they gently caress they're calling it now? because the illusion of Cadillac as a luxury brand really loving fell apart for me once you open the hood and there's a 1950s Chevy engine in it dressed up with some chintzy plastic poo poo to make it look "modern"

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Which I guess in a roundabout way is what any american "luxury" experience is about, dressing up some poo poo and pretending its premium

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

italian quid posted:

Which I guess in a roundabout way is what any american "luxury" experience is about, dressing up some poo poo and pretending its premium

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

To my point ya

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I still sometimes forget it happened. Like I'd have thought "we have a yacht club" would have involved a tank filled with water at least.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

To be honest I don't have an issue with it personally, if that's your kind of thing then go for it. and lord knows the whole Disney land/world economy is big enough to prove there is a market for that.

Where it becomes dumb for me is when people play dumb on why American manufacturing doesn't command a premium anymore when that poo poo gets pulled so often. Cadillac is a joke compared to other luxury brands very specifically because it tries and pulls that poo poo so often.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

ilmucche posted:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I would quite like it to be the law that the place where things have been built is displayed prominently on the package / website that you're buying from. For me it's in the interest of trying to reduce the distance things have had to come, but also it's funny when a brand leans heavily on their USA credentials and the stuff is made in China.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

italian quid posted:

To be honest I don't have an issue with it personally, if that's your kind of thing then go for it. and lord knows the whole Disney land/world economy is big enough to prove there is a market for that.

Where it becomes dumb for me is when people play dumb on why American manufacturing doesn't command a premium anymore when that poo poo gets pulled so often. Cadillac is a joke compared to other luxury brands very specifically because it tries and pulls that poo poo so often.

b... b. but my escalade!

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

I would quite like it to be the law that the place where things have been built is displayed prominently on the package / website that you're buying from. For me it's in the interest of trying to reduce the distance things have had to come, but also it's funny when a brand leans heavily on their USA credentials and the stuff is made in China.

"Designed by Apple in California"

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

ArmZ posted:

b... b. but my escalade!

The escalade was really dumb and I think the Chevy Suburban was rad as hell

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

i didn't say cocaine addict bogans!!!!!

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

italian quid posted:

does the CTS-V still use the SBC engine or whatever they gently caress they're calling it now? because the illusion of Cadillac as a luxury brand really loving fell apart for me once you open the hood and there's a 1950s Chevy engine in it dressed up with some chintzy plastic poo poo to make it look "modern"

Outside of crate engines for aging boomers looking to restore their shitheap muscle cars, the SBC hasn’t been in a production car since the early 2000’s. Sometime around 2014ish GM did a clean sheet design of the LS engines to modernize them and that is what the CTS-V now uses. The ATS-V I think it a turbo V6.

The idea of Cadillac making the “American M3” I think is a good goal (as a person who loves performance family sedans). And tbh I think they nailed it. It’s exactly what you expect from an American M3: big gently caress off V8, decent handling, atrocious interior. Could beat an M3 in a stop light drag race and costs substantially less but will be full of rattles and shakes by the time it hits 100,000km

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 8, 2023

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

More than I can afford pal.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

MustardFacial posted:

Outside of crate engines for aging boomers looking to restore their shitheap muscle cars, the SBC hasn’t been in a production car since the early 2000’s. Sometime around 2014ish GM did a clean sheet design of the LS engines to modernize them and that is what the CTS-V now uses. The ATS-V I think it a turbo V6.

The idea of Cadillac making the “American M3” I think is a good goal (as a person who loves performance family sedans). And tbh I think they nailed it. It’s exactly what you expect from an American M3: big gently caress off V8, decent handling, atrocious interior. Could beat an M3 in a stop light drag race and costs substantially less but will be full of rattles and shakes by the time it hits 100,000km

Also they still offer 3 pedals.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Just saw a Facebook post from an "F1 Page", that used the old Team USA car that was created on here years ago as an example of the Cadillac F1 team car.

Made me laugh still :xd:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is that the one with the eagle on the roll hoop

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MustardFacial posted:

Its still a pushrod small block V8 bro lol

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

italian quid posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_twin-turbo_V8

???

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

IMPORTANT NEWS

https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/status/1611657794603843584

Happy birthday Sir Lewis

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

8 time really if you ask anybody not paid by the fia

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Get in there (the next year of your life) Lewis

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

okay thats news to me because last time I looked at one they were using some tonka toy pushrod POS

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

italian quid posted:

You’re thinking of the hellcat engine bro.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MustardFacial posted:

You’re thinking of the hellcat engine bro.

lmao

i'm now trying to imagine a Chrysler F1 car

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
GM also makes a twin turbo 6 cylinder for their CT4-V blackwing trim

Alaois posted:

lmao

i'm now trying to imagine a Chrysler F1 car

ferrari is a chrysler

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Hot Karl Marx posted:

GM also makes a twin turbo 6 cylinder for their CT4-V blackwing trim

ferrari is a chrysler

explains a lot, honestly

FakeBlood
Oct 23, 2008

Alive and kicking.
ferrari is owned by some dutch company but alfa is indeed a chrysler

edit: re-checked wikipedia and i guess that "Ferrari N.V." is still partially owned by FCA/Stellantis so I guess Chrysler has two teams in F1.

FakeBlood fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 8, 2023

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

That engine is the basis for the flat plane crank engine in the new Z06 which sounds like a god drat Ferrari:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLyXqcRxONw&t=14s

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

lmao

https://twitter.com/Ben_Sulayem/status/1612066033912713217

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I think I’d rather have three or four teams that could win on a given weekend than another backmarker.

Add more backmarkers and then get rid of blue flags.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

acidx posted:

Add more backmarkers and then get rid of blue flags.

now we're cooking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Ferrari, Merc, and Renault execs respect the hell out of GM and its premium Cadillac marque. I learned that from reading an otherwise terrible thread on Something Awful Dot Com.