Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Pierson posted:

First gunpla after like twenty years and it feels really good to be building again.

Just the basic panel line and some topcoat to start with. Wasn't a big fan of how the gundam panel marker feels or looks so I've grabbed some tamiya accent liner and cleaner for future sets. Between the gorilla arms, prehensile whip-spike and massive unbalancing mace the Barbatos L.R. is a weird as hell suit, it definitely feels like it needs a good action base to pose well.

The biggest annoyance I have is nub marks on the black frame, it felt like even sanding down, polishing a bit then a light wash still left identifiable nub areas behind. Is it a problem with my sanding (the sticks I got are admittedly cheap as hell and I kind of regret the £10 I spent on a pack of twenty of various grades) or is it something you need to paint over to truly get rid of?

I have an RG Sazabi I don't want to start until I have more confidence and I for-sure don't want any crap on it. I'm thinking about painting but I really don't have the room for an airbrush setup, does anyone paint using regular brushes/cans?

Are you talking about how where the nub is is a slightly different color? I think that's only going to go with paint as the inside of the plastic (where the nub was) is normally going to be a slightly off color from the outside

For example, with gold plated or chrome plated parts people will sometimes use gundam markers or an equivalent to cover those nubs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah exactly. It isn't so bad on this one but I have an MG Strike on the way and that thing has a ton of exposed frame. I'll pick up a marker for that I guess.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Pierson posted:

Yeah exactly. It isn't so bad on this one but I have an MG Strike on the way and that thing has a ton of exposed frame. I'll pick up a marker for that I guess.
Luckily most modern MGs are quite considerate on their nub placement so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

SnakesRevenge posted:

Mine normally has a bunch of Strike Freedom, Heavyarms, and Blazing Gundam, but I did snag an inverted red frame Astray a couple weeks ago!

This is exactly what my Target carried, like 5+ of each.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

RillAkBea posted:

Luckily most modern MGs are quite considerate on their nub placement so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
So I've heard! I have an MG Strike Aile and a Unicorn on the way, super looking forward to it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Can't wait to not be able to find two different gunpla of the same gundam

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
https://twitter.com/ippeigyoubu/status/1612014625620643840

Already have a Zowort on preorder so it's not like my decision to stop buying HGs is a particularly well-respected one :v:, but I guess I'll be buying a second G-Witch HG whenever the Desultor gets a kit.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I don’t like the Gundam mouth on the new Aerial, I prefer the smooth faceplate. Well easy to fill in at least!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEUJiwBFzxs

Got to wonder if we will get a unit combining parts of Thorn and Ur in-universe or if it will be a Build Fighters thing.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
New Aerial feels like a downgrade style wise, but I'll probably still get three.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Man, the more I build this HG Tieren the more problems I find. The thing with the backpack was annoying, but at least fairly simple to fix. Now I'm finding all kinds of parts that aren't aligned properly :(

There should be no way for me to cause this due to the pins and holes inside which dictate the fit.

You can clearly see the protruding edge on this part too.

The weapon has the same issues. Like you look at it from one side and see a little line protruding from the top. Then you flip it 180 and now the line on the top is gone but there is one on the bottom. To me this feels like the halves of the mold weren't aligned perfectly. I know it doesn't work that way with solid pieces but it really seems like two halves that were glued together imperfectly if that makes sense? I have half a mind to buy another kit from another retailer to see if I truly got unlucky or if the kit was always kinda lovely in that way. Welp for now it will be something that I put an hour or two into on an empty day because ho boy do I have to do a lot of filling and sanding until this is done.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

It sounds pretty common for an older kit. That's just how it goes especially if it's been reprinted a lot. You should see some of the older kits out there from other manufacturers, you practically have to sculpt the models to get them to fit.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Did anyone start painting kits via brush then switch up to airbrushes? Was it a big difference in ease of use and quality? There's a lot of stuff I wanna try but a lot of tutorials I see say "yeah you can do X via brushing but if you have an airbrush it's easier/better/more consistent".

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pierson posted:

Did anyone start painting kits via brush then switch up to airbrushes? Was it a big difference in ease of use and quality? There's a lot of stuff I wanna try but a lot of tutorials I see say "yeah you can do X via brushing but if you have an airbrush it's easier/better/more consistent".

Airbrush was a life changer for me. If you have the space and can do it, it's night and day. You can get great brush painted results but it takes more skill and more thin coats.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Pierson posted:

I tried for a while to get into handbrushing to mixed results. I don't have the patience to do all the thin coats that it takes, and now I normally just handbrush for detailing.

I can't wait to get an airbrush setup.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Chromatics posted:

It sounds pretty common for an older kit. That's just how it goes especially if it's been reprinted a lot. You should see some of the older kits out there from other manufacturers, you practically have to sculpt the models to get them to fit.
I get what you're saying. I guess I just didn't expect it with a kit from 2007. I mean it's not that old but here we are :v:

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
I finished my first Gunpla! Witch from mercury inspired me to give it a try (Please excuse my lovely photography):

I had a lot of fun! I don't have anything to compare it to but it seemed an easy kit for beginners. There were a few small parts that were hard to hold safely while cutting and stickers were a bit fiddly (I'll buy some tweezers before I do another one) but the instructions were very clear and everything fit together well. There were a few spots where I shaved off a bit too much but nothing very noticeable now its finished.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Yawgmoft posted:

Can't wait to not be able to find two different gunpla of the same gundam

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Tin Tim posted:

I get what you're saying. I guess I just didn't expect it with a kit from 2007. I mean it's not that old but here we are :v:
It's more a question of the number of reprints. The amount of pressure on those injection molding machines is well into the kicking rad to turbodeath range so they easily push things out of spec by a negligible amount every printing, and the HG00s got a looot of reprinting. Unfortunately it's probably just not worth it to respec the mold on an older series HG grunt until it gets picked up for a 'build' design.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

After taking a few days to finish putting together the MG Zaku, I took the plunge and started doing decals. My anxiety was not necessary lol

As for airbrushing, is there a good beginners kit everyone recomends? I'm on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gunpla+airbrush+kit&crid=3CLXDVHJW4LCF&sprefix=gunpla+airbrush+kit%2Caps%2C234&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

and this one caught my eye. Has good reviews and it's on a great discount:

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbr...ljaz10cnVl&th=1

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Dunno about the airbrush, but that's the standard cheap compressor that basically everyone starts with. I'd get the version with a tank on it, though, so it doesn't have to constantly run.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

IG-88 posted:

After taking a few days to finish putting together the MG Zaku, I took the plunge and started doing decals. My anxiety was not necessary lol

As for airbrushing, is there a good beginners kit everyone recomends? I'm on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gunpla+airbrush+kit&crid=3CLXDVHJW4LCF&sprefix=gunpla+airbrush+kit%2Caps%2C234&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

I've had a Master Airbrush for a little while now and its been pretty decent. Granted it replaced an airbrush I got from Harbor Freight and I power it with a shop compressor so I'm probably not the one to ask.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

This thing is so fuckin cool

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Dunno about the airbrush, but that's the standard cheap compressor that basically everyone starts with. I'd get the version with a tank on it, though, so it doesn't have to constantly run.

yeah a tank on the compressor is a must-have. without one the air can actually be a bit warm, and if you're spraying in a cold environment that can mean a ton of moisture in the hose. it's all just so easily solved by the ones with a tank

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

So is this my best bet?

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbr...df-3bdf836e04db

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Gripweed posted:

This thing is so fuckin cool

first cool suit from GWitch

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That waist section looks like it'll have zero give at the hip attachment and everything will come from the upper torso.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
Building the RG Zeong and god drat this is a good time. Modern RGs are definitely my jam so far, thanks for the rec in-thread... Although the size of the Zeong being so much larger it feels worlds away from the RG Wing Gundam TV I put together. Would it be fair to say that the experience of building the RG Zeong is pretty close to a standard MG build?

Can't believe this thing comes with three Action Base 5s. I'd fully expect to get nickel-and-dimed for that kind of thing these days. Guess that's where the burst effect set comes in :shepspends:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
How much physical space does an airbrush setup actually take up? It's surprisingly hard to get pics of a compressor in-situ and I can't tell how big they are. Also it seems a box is a necessity to avoid dying of fumes and portable ones look to be about 60cm x 60cm which would take up half my desk.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
You definitely need to ventilate. I tried applying spray can topcoat in a Brooklyn apt and even with the windows open the lacquer smell lingered throughout the common areas and leaked out into the stairwell for over a day.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Pierson posted:

How much physical space does an airbrush setup actually take up? It's surprisingly hard to get pics of a compressor in-situ and I can't tell how big they are. Also it seems a box is a necessity to avoid dying of fumes and portable ones look to be about 60cm x 60cm which would take up half my desk.

Can you put a small desk in front of a window? That's how much space it will take up.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

free Trapt CD posted:

Building the RG Zeong and god drat this is a good time. Modern RGs are definitely my jam so far, thanks for the rec in-thread... Although the size of the Zeong being so much larger it feels worlds away from the RG Wing Gundam TV I put together. Would it be fair to say that the experience of building the RG Zeong is pretty close to a standard MG build?

Can't believe this thing comes with three Action Base 5s. I'd fully expect to get nickel-and-dimed for that kind of thing these days. Guess that's where the burst effect set comes in :shepspends:

The newer RGs without a pre-built inner frame really are just little MGs.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Kibner posted:

Can you put a small desk in front of a window? That's how much space it will take up.
Yeah absolutely I can work it.

Is airbrushing one of those things where you buy cheaper stuff to learn and then trade up gradually or is it better to buy a real nice set first thing?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Pierson posted:

Is airbrushing one of those things where you buy cheaper stuff to learn and then trade up gradually or is it better to buy a real nice set first thing?

There's a certain minimum quality you need to meet on the compressor (it needs to have a tank that holds air to keep the pressure more or less constant while spraying).

As for the brush, yes IMO.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Aight guess I have no choice but to accept my fate and just become a full-time gunpla lunatic.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

you can also be like me and accumulate airbrushes over years and years.

Currently have four!

Iwata Eclipse-HP+ -my "main airbush for spraying Vallejo.
Iwata Revolution Hp-Cr my old main airbrush, now spray tamiya with it for base shading coats or other tamiya colors.
Cheap amazon airbrush with a wider needle to spray primer.
cheap amazon aibrush to spray clear coats and to spray to clean other airbrushes with

This hobby is a never ever ending way to find justifications to spend money.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Skrillmub posted:

The newer RGs without a pre-built inner frame really are just little MGs.

That's awesome, I'm even more excited about MGs now. Thank you.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I have wasted endless time on dalong.net looking at box contents, frames, reviews and builds, that person deserves a medal or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Somebody said airbrush but I was busy for a little bit.

IG-88 posted:

In general, you can probably find about the same kind of deals year round from dedicated art supply joints and sometimes the more reputable kind of model shop. A cheap airbrush compressor (and a lot of expensive ones, too) is all the same junk churned out by the same factory in China; my Master's been running fine for years, and by the time you'll need to get a replacement you'll have a much better idea of what to get. Get one with a tank.

That said, you're probably going to get better stuff if you buy the brush and compressor separately. I'm kind of two minds on what to recommend now that Badger turns out to be chuds; the cheapass no-name brush that comes with some of these things is useful to have when you just want to throw paint around and you don't care if you break the thing, but they are awful to use. An Iwata Neo is a step above that, and probably what I would go with for a new airbrush user these days. They're firmly in the realm of "good enough," but they're a little fiddly when you're just starting out. Good news is you can get everything you want for around two hundred bucks US, brush and compressor, and replacement parts for when you inevitably lose the nozzle or drop the needle are easy to come by.

DO NOT get one of those little compressor bottles that hangs directly off the bottom of your brush and runs on batteries. They suck as compressors and you also don't want to hold that piece of poo poo up while you're working. They're cheaper because they're small and they're garbage.

Pierson posted:

Yes! Airbrushing rules, even with setup and cleaning it's way faster to spray paint than brush it on, and it looks much nicer. There is a higher cost threshold (again, about 200 bucks US), and the sky is the limit if you get real deep into the hobby.

Pierson posted:

A little less than four HG boxes stacked two by two. I was a dumbshit and didn't get an overhead shot, sorry.

You can get away with painting water-based acrylics in an apartment with just making a lot of dust (wear a mask anyway). It's when you switch to paints with nasty solvents in them that you really need active ventilation. If you can swing it, a real vent hood is good to have. Again, the cheap Chinese ones are all the same, so if you get one of those buy whichever's cheapest, and tear the motors out of it to put in nicer, quieter ones once you get tired of HOW loving LOUD THE THING IS. Otherwise, for your bog-standard Vallejo acrylics, you can spray in a cardboard box and keep a fan with an air filter taped to it nearby to cut down on the ambient dust and particulates.

Pierson posted:

Yes, but also you'll keep the old stuff because it still works and you can swap out to your old beater brush for things like priming and varnishing.

Paint your robots, it rules.