Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Freaquency posted:

D. Hamlin - Doubtful - Death

sorry if that's a little macabre, but I feel better posting that knowing he's going to be ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

Sash! posted:

I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work either

Maybe we could put all the players in those giant inflatable clear plastic bubbles that people roll around in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me1y78yMOSo

atomicdream
Oct 4, 2017

shaking my money maker to fund my crippling glamour addiction.

Luigi Thirty posted:

There was a post I saw where someone had some kind of surgery. While coming out of sedation, he told his wife he’s playing “the beep game.” He held his breath until an alarm went off and a nurse came in to yell at him while he laughed his rear end off.

This is actually amazing and hilarious. My husband and I are laughing way too hard at this because it's absolutely something either one of us would do to annoy the other.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I wonder who got to be the one to tell Hamlin about his gofundme

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

single-mode fiber posted:

I have this as well, except all of mine are the dumbest poo poo imaginable (the drops that dilate your pupils at the eye doctor, being leaned too far back in a chair for too long, like at the dentist, stuff like that). Your experience of being able to tell when it's about to happen within 10-20 seconds basically mirrors mine. Dreams where I'm killed by shooting, stabbing, the dream ends with that sensation of way-too-low blood pressure in your chest. It's easy to see how people in the past would imagine that it's the feeling of your soul leaving your body.

The reception area of the doctor's office I go to has some (fake) red spider lily for decoration. I'm sure they don't know the implication but it's basically the floral symbolism of this.

holy poo poo I thought I was the only one who passes out from dilation/numbing drops, that poo poo's knocked me out like 3 times.

my only other syncopal episode was about 5 minutes after I got my first COVID shot, which is odd because I've never passed out from a needle before then or since. I got dragged to the ER in an ambulance after that one because I started twitching a bit after I went down and my heart rate went down to 35bpm.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

While we're handing out kudos let's not forget the Bengals medical staff ran out onto the field immediately as well and were part of Hamlin's first response team.

NPR had a segment on this; there’s three medical groups at a game as shown in some of those early tweets - one for each team and the “stadium” staff that are there just for the game which includes the EMTs, an EM physician that leads any serious response and an anesthesiologist. It is routine for the nearest training staff to initially respond to a down player for initial assessment but usually the player’s team takes back over. Before each game all three medical teams brief and do a walk through of a full code response which does involve everyone as you might expect. This is the first time it’s happened at an NFL game, but the procedures are based on incidents from other sports.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

Really? I have it too but had to catch up on the thread. I can pass out if I get up too easily (happened more as a kid than now). That tilt-table thing is for real - the first time I gave blood it started happening. Thankfully I knew what was going on and was able to get a nurse's attention. He ran over and flipped the chair back so the blood rushed back to my head. Such a crazy feeling.

Oh hey! Yeah I don't exactly announce my full medical profile to everyone I meet, so I've probably met several people who had this without knowing it. But I've never gotten to like chat about it and compare notes with anyone before. SA threads probably put far more eyeballs on it in 24 hours than I've had people I talked to about it in the last ten years.

I've had one case where I got horizontal, on my back knees up, and still passed out, but it was an extreme case: most of the time getting into that position, or further down with my head below my heart, will keep me conscious no matter what. I don't usually get dizzy from standing up fast either.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

GFM is officially over $8m.

Gronk or someone claiming to be Gronk, God love him, donated $6900.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Luigi Thirty posted:

There was a post I saw where someone had some kind of surgery. While coming out of sedation, he told his wife he’s playing “the beep game.” He held his breath until an alarm went off and a nurse came in to yell at him while he laughed his rear end off.

I can't speak for all hospitals, but mine has been so dangerously understaffed since the start of covid where the boomers retired and the young staff all left for better jobs that you'd probably go all night before someone got around to checking that alarm.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I have to call out that while his foundation is now taking donations directly and that is likely the best way to donate, his GFM is over $8.13m now. That is loving incredible.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i heard it's over 8 million. people are really "go"ing

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

GoFundMe takes about 3% off the top, so at this point if you are considering donating, donating directly to his foundation is probably the way to go.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Mirotic posted:

GFM is officially over $8m.

Gronk or someone claiming to be Gronk, God love him, donated $6900.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3TjOEaejkU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/buffalobills/status/1611797344390979584?s=46&t=1hXPtZF3lh3b9wkrcZ18kw

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Now that it appears he will survive and probably be able to lead a normal life, if they find out it was commotio cordis and not a deeper issue, is there any chance he could ever suit up again? Or does the damage from this whole experience destroy the chances of being an athlete?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Lifespan posted:

Now that it appears he will survive and probably be able to lead a normal life, if they find out it was commotio cordis and not a deeper issue, is there any chance he could ever suit up again? Or does the damage from this whole experience destroy the chances of being an athlete?

Just too early to say, really, because we don't know what if any long-term damage this might've done to his cognition/heart/lungs/other vital organs. If the long-term damage is nonexistent or minimal and it was just a freak occurrence with no deeper issues attached, theoretically (I should note here I'm not a doctor, I just did a lot of medical reporting/writing in my day) he can get back onto the field. There are tons upon tons of questions to answer between now and then, though, and unfortunately that's just gonna take some time.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Just my personal opinion but even if he's otherwise fine I can't see another team risking giving him a chance. I know I sure wouldn't.

But again that's just my take.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Dumb question here - how is his condition still considered critical when he's conscious and responsive at this point?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Dango Bango posted:

Dumb question here - how is his condition still considered critical when he's conscious and responsive at this point?

30,000 ft answer is just that the body is a hugely complex machine and there's a lot of possible damage (or actual damage we just don't know about) that could have occurred. You can have a responsive, talking person who is still in mortal danger of organ failure.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Dango Bango posted:

They haven't officially diagnosed commotio cordis as the cause so they want a close eye on him to be safe. Could also be some various collateral damage that we aren't aware of.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

BonoMan posted:

30,000 ft answer is just that the body is a hugely complex machine and there's a lot of possible damage (or actual damage we just don't know about) that could have occurred. You can have a responsive, talking person who is still in mortal danger of organ failure.

Basically this, I think. Also doesn't help that different institutions will have different definitions for stable/critical/etc.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dango Bango posted:

In addition to everything else “critical condition” isn’t a specific medical term and doesn’t have a universal definition.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/SteelersCR/status/1611739703920979970

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Toaster Beef posted:

Basically this, I think. Also doesn't help that different institutions will have different definitions for stable/critical/etc.

And this is a high-profile case so the hospital isn't in a rush to move him anywhere which is usually what happens when you get downgraded out of critical care.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
posting from is ig
https://www.instagram.com/p/CnITXc7vuFa/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

He has this in his story too:

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

Dango Bango posted:

Among other things he's the biggest pneumonia risk in human history

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

John McClane posted:

Among other things he's the biggest pneumonia risk in human history

My dad passed two months ago, two months after emergency heart surgery. The surgery was a success but he had pneumonia as a result (among other complications that arose), and it didn’t go away and eventually wore him down. It’s no joke, no matter the age group

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Chris James 2 posted:

My dad passed two months ago, two months after emergency heart surgery. The surgery was a success but he had pneumonia as a result (among other complications that arose), and it didn’t go away and eventually wore him down. It’s no joke, no matter the age group

Ed Aschoff died at 34 due to pneumonia complications. It’s wild how deadly it can be.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
My dad went into hospital with pneumonia Easter Week 2015 and he didn't come out alive but when I saw the list of complications listed on his death certificate I was amazed he lasted as long as he did. Also, that was when I found out that registry offices have a 'death' entrance

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My friend Mark, who was a light smoker, died of pneumonia at about 24 or 25. He got a bad cold, went to the hospital, a day later they said he had pneumonia, and he was dead like 12 hours after that.

It's no joke and it's still a risk of course, although that was in 1999 or 2000 and he was at a really lovely rural hospital. Still, I think at this point Damar's chances are way above 50% and considering when folks thought he'd been on compressions for 9 minutes people were talking 1% or less, we can all celebrate those odds.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/HamlinIsland/status/1611891183864758272

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

mdemone posted:

And this is a high-profile case so the hospital isn't in a rush to move him anywhere which is usually what happens when you get downgraded out of critical care.

The more cynical answer is that the hospital basically has a blank check from the NFL and will use that as much as possible

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

dirty shrimp money posted:

The more cynical answer is that the hospital basically has a blank check from the NFL and will use that as much as possible

The other side to this is, do you want to be the person who signs off on a clean bill of health and have him drop dead a day later?

Given the profile I imagine you'd be quite... fastidious.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Man I thought for sure this kid’s goose was cooked. Happy to see him doing well, or doing better anyway

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

In addition to everything else “critical condition” isn’t a specific medical term and doesn’t have a universal definition.

that's not really true, everyone uses the same AHA guidelines

quote:

Undetermined - Patient is awaiting physician and/or assessment.
Good - Vital signs are stable and within normal limits. Patient is conscious and comfortable. Indicators are excellent.
Fair - Vital signs are stable and within normal limits. Patient is conscious, but may be uncomfortable. Indicators are favorable.
Serious - Vital signs may be unstable and not within normal limits. Patient is acutely ill. Indicators are questionable.
Critical - Vital signs are unstable and not within normal limits. Patient may be unconscious. Indicators are unfavorable.
Treated and Released – This could mean the patient was sent home or to another facility.
Confirming patient deaths – We will report or confirm a patient’s death only after signed consent from next of kin.

in this case, he's probably considered 'critical' bc he's on a vasoactive medication to regulate his cardiac functioning. Or maybe he's on some kind of monitoring that's only available in the ICU like arterial blood pressure monitoring. Or maybe they're keeping him in the ICU for no good reason at all.

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

in this case, he's probably considered 'critical' bc he's on a vasoactive medication to regulate his cardiac functioning. Or maybe he's on some kind of monitoring that's only available in the ICU like arterial blood pressure monitoring. Or maybe they're keeping him in the ICU for no good reason at all.

I’d wager no good reason at all or easier to control flow of guests in the icu. (ICUs usually tend to be very locked units with tighter guest controls).

Plus it’s easier to staff. Once he gets to regular or step down floors the nurses aren’t going to be checking as frequently because they’ll have bigger ratios

If I’m the nurse working with him that shift? Sweet deal. A probably super nice and grateful dude who really only needs eyes on the monitor for anything odd. The only part that would suck would be how much your charting would be double or triple checked.

Vasoconstrictor meds this late would be odd for someone like him without any assumed comorbid conditions.

Being extubated this long wouldn’t require that frequent of ABGs so you could just straight stick him instead of keeping an art line which makes getting the patient t up and moving slightly more difficult.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Weebly posted:

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I’d wager no good reason at all or easier to control flow of guests in the icu. (ICUs usually tend to be very locked units with tighter guest controls).

Plus it’s easier to staff. Once he gets to regular or step down floors the nurses aren’t going to be checking as frequently because they’ll have bigger ratios

If I’m the nurse working with him that shift? Sweet deal. A probably super nice and grateful dude who really only needs eyes on the monitor for anything odd. The only part that would suck would be how much your charting would be double or triple checked.

Vasoconstrictor meds this late would be odd for someone like him without any assumed comorbid conditions.

Being extubated this long wouldn’t require that frequent of ABGs so you could just straight stick him instead of keeping an art line which makes getting the patient t up and moving slightly more difficult.
Its this:

BlindSite posted:

The other side to this is, do you want to be the person who signs off on a clean bill of health and have him drop dead a day later?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

dirty shrimp money posted:

Yeah that was kinda what I was hinting at, everybody wins in this situation, even Goodell gets to come out looking good which basically never happens for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Uhhh, somebody’s trying to raise money for Hamlin’s charity. If you don’t want see what they’re offering, the twitter handle is probably all you need to know…

:nws:
code:
 https://twitter.com/urinalchicks/status/1612107474584100864

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 8, 2023