Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

drrockso20 posted:

Apparently a lot of the times a Celebrity gets hired to do a role they include a clause in their contract that explicitly forbids recasting the role without their permission, hence situations where you get a character that should be an important recurring one but since they're voiced by a celebrity they'll either never show up again or at most they'll be a mute background character

Well that explains why it's not done, that's disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Colbert wasn't very famous when he first did the Venture Bros (or Harvey Birdman).

But allegedly when they wanted him back he had gotten famous and his agent told the show "No" even though he was willing to keep doing the voice. He came back to voice Prof. Impossible again in the 6th season.

He has also done other voice work over the years, before and after Colbert Report took off, including American Dad, Simpsons, and Rick and Morty.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Colbert genuinely enjoys it.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
:rip: Phil Ken Sebbin

Ha ha! Stunt Casting!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqKX1Zu6v1U

gently caress YES, I knew there was a second season coming.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

There's no value add to getting Vin Diesel as a voice actor.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mantis42 posted:

There's no value add to getting Vin Diesel as a voice actor.

The Iron Giant says otherwise

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
how is that new velma show. i heard mixed things. i am assume it will get like 2 seasons and then die, espcially if it actually ends up good.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Based on the reviews it seems like it really hates every Scooby Doo character that isn't Velma. I'm not sure why anybody would be interested in a really mean-spirited takedown of the Scooby-Doo franchise, but which also refuses to have the character the franchise is named after in it. Also for how progressive it tries to present itself as, it has a line like this in it ""she was the rare slut that did not deserve to be murdered."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
That sounds unpleasant.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I Am Fowl posted:

That sounds hateful.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Uh what the christ.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Scooby Doo is pretty terrible so I get it

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Macaluso posted:

Scooby Doo is pretty terrible so I get it
you're pretty terrible!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Based on the reviews it seems like it really hates every Scooby Doo character that isn't Velma. I'm not sure why anybody would be interested in a really mean-spirited takedown of the Scooby-Doo franchise, but which also refuses to have the character the franchise is named after in it. Also for how progressive it tries to present itself as, it has a line like this in it ""she was the rare slut that did not deserve to be murdered."

I remember from the look of the trailer that it seemed like it wanted to lean more into the horror genre, with apparently an emphasis on slasher movies, which is actually really far from anything that the entire Scooby Doo franchise was about. Monster movies might have some kind of relation, but Scooby Doo is rarely supposed to be scary to the audience, and definitely not supposed to about murders.

Some kind of pseudo-self-aware murder comedy does sound like the sort of thing that a lot of crass adult animation aspires to, so maybe it was an unrelated idea that somebody just decided to grab the Scooby IP to slam it into to get more viewers, and then preemptively pissing all over the franchise was some kind of defensive measure to avoid criticism.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

i was worried about that. judging from the info that came out before the reviews, it sounded like i really hated the source material and wanted to garth ennis it. like i am not even a big fan of scooby do and dont mind the race changes(outside how loving lazy shaggys new design is) but the fact that its just doing garth ennis to scooby is sad.

also you can do hosed up gross jokes in pretty progressive shows, you just have to be funny and actually clever about doing those jokes and know how and who tells them.

fun part is gonna be watching the show runners try to defend their stupid awful show by pretending its chuds getting mad about it and only that. just like that awful elf show from to years back.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I remember from the look of the trailer that it seemed like it wanted to lean more into the horror genre, with apparently an emphasis on slasher movies, which is actually really far from anything that the entire Scooby Doo franchise was about. Monster movies might have some kind of relation, but Scooby Doo is rarely supposed to be scary to the audience, and definitely not supposed to about murders.

Some kind of pseudo-self-aware murder comedy does sound like the sort of thing that a lot of crass adult animation aspires to, so maybe it was an unrelated idea that somebody just decided to grab the Scooby IP to slam it into to get more viewers, and then preemptively pissing all over the franchise was some kind of defensive measure to avoid criticism.

honestly, you could make an ok adult oriented scooby do, but it would have to actully be clever and not super crass, like it would be like that good scooby do show that came out a decade ago but like maybe a couple more adult show and allowed to make velma a lesbian or whatever maybe the occassional "ru rohm rher rucked" joke.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 7, 2023

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i was worried about that. judging from the info that came out before the reviews, it sounded like i really hated the source material and wanted to garth ennis it. like i am not even a big fan of scooby do and dont mind the race changes(outside how loving lazy shaggys new design is) but the fact that its just doing garth ennis to scooby is sad.

also you can do hosed up gross jokes in pretty progressive shows, you just have to be funny and actually clever about doing those jokes and know how and who tells them.

fun part is gonna be watching the show runners try to defend their stupid awful show by pretending its chuds getting mad about it and only that. just like that awful elf show from to years back.

honestly, you could make an ok adult oriented scooby do, but it would have to actully be clever and not super crass, like it would be like that good scooby do show that came out a decade ago but like maybe a couple more adult show and allowed to make velma a lesbian or whatever maybe the occassional "ru rohm rher rucked" joke.

What elf show?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I Am Fowl posted:

What elf show?

that sarah silverman Santa one.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
AMC just announced that the finished second season of Pantheon won't be aired or released.

Das Boo, I'm so sorry.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So are all these streaming services and channels just hoovering up shows and IPs and then vaulting them?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

So are all these streaming services and channels just hoovering up shows and IPs and then vaulting them?

From the sound of it, its just worthless idiot executives trashing projects because they won't get credit for their release, but if they do "cost-saving measures", they get credit for it.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Tax write downs of IP should become property of the US government and available free of charge on some IRS website..

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

This is some end-stage Capitalism bullshit, where its more profitable to make something and NEVER release it than it is to actually release it and its some goddamn. bullshit.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Rumors going around Inside Job got cancelled. Just let us have nice things, dammit!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Waffleopolis posted:

Rumors going around Inside Job got cancelled. Just let us have nice things, dammit!

It’s from a writer’s deleted tweets about a show they’re working on getting cancelled, not necessarily Inside Job.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Waffleopolis posted:

https://twitter.com/TheCartoonBase/status/1612214968115671040
sorta surprised. it wasnt my thing, but it was pretty good for at doing its own thing. i feel like it could go either way of netflix killing it. hell they keep trying to make the witcher work and loving that up.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm honestly surprised it got that one extra season, after every other in-house project got killed. it must have just done that well enough based on netflix's obfuscated analytics

but i mean, that said, it was a second episode order, and we know what happens to Netflix shows after their second episode order. it's not even a joke at this point because they just do it so often

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I assume that we'll hear Alex Hersch yelling about this at some point. He does not like being yanked around by networks.

Fezz posted:

Tax write downs of IP should become property of the US government and available free of charge on some IRS website..

I think we still don't really know what if any excuse Zaslav has for ditching all this content, people are just guessing that it's some tax thing. Some of them there's been theories that he's been dodging royalties, but there's definitely no royalties on old Looney Tunes.

Snuffman posted:

This is some end-stage Capitalism bullshit, where its more profitable to make something and NEVER release it than it is to actually release it and its some goddamn. bullshit.

There's no evidence of it being profitable, and by accounts the stockholders are very upset as well.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

wait, it's the actual second episode order that they've cancelled?? that's kind of hosed up after they already announced it

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

The 7th Guest posted:

wait, it's the actual second episode order that they've cancelled?? that's kind of hosed up after they already announced it

The episodes have already been fully produced. All they had to do was put them online.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

Aaand it's now confirmed from the show's creator.

https://twitter.com/shhhhhionn/status/1612257517165514753

Cancelled my sub. Might as well I hardly watch anything on it. Legit bummed about this one. It was the only show that I felt gave off a Futurama vibe in a good way. :smith:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

DoctorWhat posted:

AMC just announced that the finished second season of Pantheon won't be aired or released.

Das Boo, I'm so sorry.

Appreciated! I'm mad, but also feel dumb for thinking it was safe from a Zaslav move.

I jumped ship from a pretty cushy job because I was so excited to work on a 2D adult drama. It was a drat unicorn of a show.

Faaaaaah.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh god drat it.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

DoctorWhat posted:

Das Boo, I'm so sorry.

Jeez. Guess it's good that was only on my to-watch list. Now I can just safely remove it because of these bloodsucking capitalists.

Do you think they realize people will just...stop getting invested? That's supposedly a thing they care about, and I've had to become more careful about what I watch because of all this bullshit. Maybe it'll just disappear, maybe who the gently caress knows!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I don't remember what got me to watch Pantheon but I was really surprised how good it was going in with no expectations. I was looking forward to seeing what happened next.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I Am Fowl posted:

Jeez. Guess it's good that was only on my to-watch list. Now I can just safely remove it because of these bloodsucking capitalists.

Do you think they realize people will just...stop getting invested? That's supposedly a thing they care about, and I've had to become more careful about what I watch because of all this bullshit. Maybe it'll just disappear, maybe who the gently caress knows!

That's a problem for the future! Future problems aren't a concern, the important thing is to make as much money as possible in the short term even if it hurts people and means less money in the long term.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

I Am Fowl posted:

The people in the position to makes these kinds of decisions are frequently some of the dumbest loving people you'll ever meet, even if they may figure out ways to manipulate the rules/laws to generate some dubious immediate benefit.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That's a problem for the future! Future problems aren't a concern, the important thing is to make as much money as possible in the short term even if it hurts people and means less money in the long term.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjFyRBRuYoo

The value of future longevity isn't as important as short term quarterly gains.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

I know this is some dumbass late-stage capitalism bullshit, but why don't companies like Netflix just do a Kickstarter-esque campaign stating "Hey, we are cancelling this show, but if you donate this amount of money then it gets another season!" Seems like a cheap and easy way for these assholes not to reach into their pockets to renew a show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Waffleopolis posted:

I know this is some dumbass late-stage capitalism bullshit, but why don't companies like Netflix just do a Kickstarter-esque campaign stating "Hey, we are cancelling this show, but if you donate this amount of money then it gets another season!" Seems like a cheap and easy way for these assholes not to reach into their pockets to renew a show.
the reason is more capitalism. they wouldn't want Kickstarter to receive any cut so they'd have to start their own site/crowdfunding infrastructure to do it and that costs money