Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The answer is awesome poo poo.

Bring on more weird stuff, computers are boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

v1ld posted:

I still have the open box 2021 Slim 7 (5800H, 3060, and I believe 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD), haven't returned it yet. It was a little over $800 after taxes, a bit more. Can ship it to you for cost if you're in the US - I'm in the South Eest. Bought the older, heavier adapter for it as the slim version it comes with was missing. BB may still be selling them open box, too.

Oops totally missed this. Good tip on the Best Buy open box, though. I got a 2022 Legion Slim 7 with the Ryzen 9 and 6800s for just over 1k at my local store.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The OP hasn't updated in like three years so I'm asking here blind.

For a friend,

some dipshit without an account posted:

If I wanted to buy a laptop with decent specs for things like image/audio editing and some light gaming what kind of stuff should I be looking at

He hasn't given me a budget yet but based on what I know about him, light gaming might include the next Monster Hunter game at 60fps, or Elden Ring, but he's not looking for ray tracing or screen space reflections.

UPDATE: his budget is around 50,000¥, which at time of writing is a little under 400 dollars, but "maybe more if it's worth it".

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 6, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Almost certainly looking used, which I can't really speak to in your region. Laptops at that price are not going to be able to handle something like Elden Ring.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lenovo did a graphics dock with a... 1060? A million years ago. And then immediately discontinued it. Bad thermal management I think. Asus definitely has one and probably designed around the problems Lenovo ran into

And yes this is the thread for weird laptop problems

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Are chromebook batteries built in with some kind of battery protection? Every laptop I've owned has had severe lifetime reduction from draining the battery fully except this chromebook I've owned for three years now. This thing is running on at least seven hours of battery once unplugged and I'm looking to buy two more low end laptops with very good battery life.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

The answer is awesome poo poo.

Bring on more weird stuff, computers are boring.
Yeah tbh I'm glad they're throwing more poo poo at the wall (though it's basically the same foldable from before just with a hinge/bezel) for the same reason. And it does seem to work as intended at least:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep6HhI1mpko

As usual with this weird stuff I'm not really sure it's worth the compromises unless you have a very specific niche requirements. Like two screens is cool... but now you have to carry a separate lovely keyboard and origami stand thing.

DoctorWhat posted:

The OP hasn't updated in like three years so I'm asking here blind.

For a friend,

He hasn't given me a budget yet but based on what I know about him, light gaming might include the next Monster Hunter game at 60fps, or Elden Ring, but he's not looking for ray tracing or screen space reflections.

UPDATE: his budget is around 50,000¥, which at time of writing is a little under 400 dollars, but "maybe more if it's worth it".
People occasionally post good deals on gaming laptops with dedicated GPUs in the $500 range, not sure if that's possible in Japan but you might be able to find something equivalent since Lenovo for example does pretty big sales sometimes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYVO-UDCO78

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jan 7, 2023

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

parthenocarpy posted:

Are chromebook batteries built in with some kind of battery protection? Every laptop I've owned has had severe lifetime reduction from draining the battery fully except this chromebook I've owned for three years now. This thing is running on at least seven hours of battery once unplugged and I'm looking to buy two more low end laptops with very good battery life.

Chromebooks are basically large phones so they have really low power consumption to begin with.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

DoctorWhat posted:

Chromebooks are basically large phones so they have really low power consumption to begin with.
Phones, too, have batteries that typically become crap after a couple of years, though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Some of the more recent laptops let you set a charge limit to 80% (or a different number). Which helps a lot because keeping Li-Ion cells at 100% charge for long time is a no-no.

Dunno if this is specifically set up in any chromebooks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

A lot of it is just a factor of battery cycles. When you don't have modern standby tanking your battery in a day and a half on standby, you go through fewer total cycles.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The 40-series laptop GPUs have reduced memory bandwidth compared to their 30-series equivalents. The 3070Ti has the same 256 bit memory bus width as a 4090. The 3060 has the same 192 bit bus width as the 4080. The 4070 and lower drop to 128 bits or lower. Comparison charts below.

IMO this next laptop generation of gpus may suffer from the same pricing-to-performance problems as the desktop gpus so it's not a bad idea to get hold of a 3070 Ti or 3060 laptop from this generation while the prices are low and dropping to allow for new inventory to come in, if you're looking for a gaming laptop and waiting on the next gen.

The 3080 and 3080 Ti don't provide much marginal improvement, so I personally wouldn't go beyond the 3070 Ti this generation. Main factor for performance is how much power the chip is given - 150W will let you push it to its rated max, though a few go even higher.

30-series:

40-series:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there such a thing as a 13" laptop with a 3060 or 3070?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I think the closest would be 14" like the Razor Blade which comes in 3060 and 3070 flavours. Most 13" ranges have gone in the thin and light direction while you can still get chunky 14" laptops. Personally I prefer 14" in both cases.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Aware posted:

I think the closest would be 14" like the Razor Blade which comes in 3060 and 3070 flavours. Most 13" ranges have gone in the thin and light direction while you can still get chunky 14" laptops. Personally I prefer 14" in both cases.

I might have to look into those. I like running an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse anyway, so if I could have a small laptop powerful enough for gaming then it being a small display ain't a big deal - I'd mostly be treating the laptop screen as a second display anyway. The 15.6" Viewsonic portable monitor I got has really sold me on the viability of this setup, but I don't travel enough for it to be a high priority for me.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Why not just go 15" then if portability isn't that important? Thermals will be an even bigger limiting factor the smaller you go.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Look at the G14 before the razor. The blade is nice but somewhat over priced and definitely under cooled. G14 is a little thicker but you need that airflow.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Is there such a thing as a 13" laptop with a 3060 or 3070?

only if you want to go the eGPU route

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
quick question , there is a ridiculously good deal on a Asus X415 laptop (in Sweden). 16gb ram, 14 inch screen and an Intel Core i7-1065G7

I've been eyeing it for a while, either that or something with a discrete graphics card like a 3050 / 3050ti. I'm not looking to play any heavyweight titles, I still got my desktop PC (with a GTX 1080 lol) and PS5. It would mostly be for older games from 2000/2010s (Dragon Age 1) or fresh indies. Would the AsusX415 be enough for that? Or should I go for one with a graphics card?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Gen 12 iGPUS would handle 3D games from the DA1 era or earlier just fine. A 3050ti would probably put you about on par with your GTX 1080,

E: which honestly speaks to how good the 1080s were than any fault with the 3XXX cards.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jan 8, 2023

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I need to buy a laptop sometime in the next year for work (spreadsheets, word processing, secure remote access to another workstation - not heavy math or graphics or anything) - I tend to keep laptops for like a decade before I upgrade, so want to get one that will stay kicking for as long as possible and fine paying up to $2k I suppose (less is better of course).

It absolutely must have a numpad, and I'd love it to a. have a touch screen, and b. be able to run at least some games on low settings or whatever (though it would rarely be used for gaming, would be nice to have the capability)

So looking at the OP, a T570 seems like it'd probably be the ticket, and some googling and the main page says there's an optional touchscreen option, but the link in the OP to work for the B&N Gold stuff seems to be broken and going to shop.lenovo.com looks like they're out of stock; there are some on Amazon but I have zero ability to determine precisely what features I do and don't want, to determine if a thing I'm buying from Amazon or whatever is the newest model with everything I need (and priced correctly) vs. being old or underpowered or not have a certain feature, or to determine if there's some new model that replaced the T570 I should be looking at. Maybe they're just really popular and thus sold out?

Would love any ideas about precisely which T570 I would want (or an alternative) to search on Google, where to buy it, etc etc so I don't buy the wrong thing. Or is there a new one coming out soon I should wait for maybe?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bull3964 posted:

A lot of it is just a factor of battery cycles. When you don't have modern standby tanking your battery in a day and a half on standby, you go through fewer total cycles.

gently caress modern standby

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

black.lion posted:

I need to buy a laptop sometime in the next year for work (spreadsheets, word processing, secure remote access to another workstation - not heavy math or graphics or anything)...

The OP is so outdated that the T570 has now been replaced several times over. The most current analogue to that machine in Lenovo's lineup would be the Thinkpad T16. They come in either AMD or Intel flavors. Unfortunately, as of this writing, there doesn't seem to be any good deals on the pre-configured machines. You could come in comfortably under your 2,000 dollar budget with a custom build though as there is a deal on custom orders. I'm partial to the AMD systems as while Intel may have an edge in absolute CPU performance, I think AMD has a nice combination of power efficiency and good-for-integrated graphics. The Intel model has the benefit of having a replaceable RAM slot, so you could option a system with 8GB of onboard ram, then add an additional module for cheap yourself if you're comfortable opening up a laptop. Either way, you'll probably want a system with 16GB, a 12th generation intel or Ryzen 6000 series cpu.

Lenovo coupons show up often and are generous, so if you're not in a rush there's an excellent chance that a pre-configured machine will get a good sale in the not too distant future.

E: An example of a custom AMD T16 I spec'd on Lenovo's website came out to under $1,400.

quote:

AMD Ryzen™ 7 PRO 6850U Processor (2.70 GHz up to 4.70 GHz)
Windows 11 Pro 64 English
16 GB LPDDR5-6400MHz (Soldered)
512 GB SSD M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 Performance TLC Opal
16" WUXGA (1920 x 1200), IPS, Anti-Glare, Touch, 45%NTSC, 300nits
FHD RGB webcam with Microphone
Fingerprint Reader
Backlit, Black with Number Pad - English
4 Cell Li-Polymer 86Wh

That's about everything you could ask for in a work/business oriented machine that isn't meant for playing modern graphically intensive games.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 8, 2023

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Ah such great info, tysm!

e: nvm found it

black.lion fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 8, 2023

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I just spent some time looking into how to go back to S3 sleep from modern standby and found this for AMD cpus: https://github.com/DavidS95/Smokeless_UMAF - It lets you tweak cpu settings otherwise hidden by the vendor bios, including S0 (modern standby) vs S3 sleep.

There are reports of driver problems re-initializing from S3 sleep, almost certainly because Microsoft is driving everyone towards modern standby. So I decided to use hibernate everywhere, it's fast enough for me.

What a loving mess, Microsoft. That they won't make it optional but keep trying to force people to use modern standby is so loving dumb.

The 680M iGPU turns out to be useful. I played several hours of Pathfinder Kingmaker on it while plugged into a 100W USB PD source instead of the 300W power brick. Even at 2560x1600 with High settings, the 680M could stay around 35fps. Game isn't very demanding, but it's nice to know that the 680M is useful when mobile. The Legion 5 Pro was comfortable in couch lap mode, too.

There was a weird issue after 4-5 hours when the Legion decided it didn't want to draw from the USB source anymore - flashing charge light. The USB source was active - using a 5A cable with a light in it to indicate PD/connectivity. Feels like a bug in the Legion's PD stack.

Really quite happy with this laptop's design. Liked the feel of it in the lap over an extended session on the couch. The weight is well balanced. Screen is gorgeous and bright - had to turn it down. I wish it didn't have the numpad as I never use it and would prefer a more centered keyboard/touchpad.

Ports are well distributed and having power on the back was nice for lap use though I wish the orange light that shows the device is drawing power was visible from the front - didn't realize that it had stopped drawing USB power until I got the low battery warning from Windows.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I have no opinions on MAINGEAR, I assume they are a Gigabyte/MSI clone but this is a beefy 17" 1440p gaming laptop for cheap (32GB of DDR5!). I'd assume the battery has a 30 minute life but who knows. Microcenter.

MAINGEAR Vector Pro 2 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer $1,300
https://www.microcenter.com/product/659862/maingear-vector-pro-2-173-gaming-laptop-computer-black

AMD Ryzen 9 6900Hx 3.3GHz Processor
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8GB GDDR6
32GB DDR5 4800 RAM
1TB Solid State Drive

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Lockback posted:

I have no opinions on MAINGEAR, I assume they are a Gigabyte/MSI clone but this is a beefy 17" 1440p gaming laptop for cheap (32GB of DDR5!). I'd assume the battery has a 30 minute life but who knows. Microcenter.

Love how they couldn't find a not-smushed shipping box for their promo image.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Mental Hospitality posted:

The most current analogue to that machine in Lenovo's lineup would be the Thinkpad T16. They come in either AMD or Intel flavors.

You could come in comfortably under your 2,000 dollar budget with a custom build though as there is a deal on custom orders.

Okay this is a dumb question I know, but is there any indication how long this sale will be going on? Because drat its a good sale but I wasn't planning to buy this until mid-Feb at absolute earliest...

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

black.lion posted:

Okay this is a dumb question I know, but is there any indication how long this sale will be going on? Because drat its a good sale but I wasn't planning to buy this until mid-Feb at absolute earliest...

Lenovo almost always has sales of this type going on. If you're ready to buy and there isn't a sale then you probably just wait a couple weeks.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Lockback posted:

Lenovo almost always has sales of this type going on. If you're ready to buy and there isn't a sale then you probably just wait a couple weeks.

Fantastic, thank you

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

WSJ article about scam job postings

https://www.wsj.com/articles/laid-off-workers-are-flooded-with-fake-job-offers-11673387875

I guess the scam is that you get "hired" and then you order an inflated price laptop and the company will "reimburse" you for the cost of the $3200 laptop, which may or may not arrive

paywall bypass link: https://archive.is/2023.01.11-165310/https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/laid-off-workers-are-flooded-with-fake-job-offers-11673387875

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Hadlock posted:

WSJ article about scam job postings
That's a fairly clever scam design, but also jesus christ are there really enough tech workers who wouldn't say "gently caress you I'm not paying for a company laptop before you've even sent me any money" (even to a non-scam job), that this is worthwhile?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I wouldn't take a job at Microsoft if they immediately asked me to buy my work equipment on my own card.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

roomforthetuna posted:

That's a fairly clever scam design, but also jesus christ are there really enough tech workers who wouldn't say "gently caress you I'm not paying for a company laptop before you've even sent me any money" (even to a non-scam job), that this is worthwhile?

Quixzlizx posted:

I wouldn't take a job at Microsoft if they immediately asked me to buy my work equipment on my own card.

The people these scams are targeting are usually not qualified, experienced developers. They pull in people desperate to break into the industry and are willing to ignore glaring red flags on their way to figgy-town.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't RTFA but it doesn't even have to be a tech job. You could do this scam with any office job basically and there would be more people with zero idea how it normally works.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s a really old scam. The victims of various forms show up on Reddit personal finance forums all the time.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Looking for a laptop for the wife. She basically does spreadsheets.

16in+ 1440p or 4k ips
Must have numpad keyboard
Lightweight
No game only spreadsheet

No budget restriction. Will be purchased by her employer.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's worth noting that you can buy external USB numpads, for like, under $25, really good ones start around $45

Generally laptops with numpads are awful, awful devices

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How is the Legion 5? Seems to check a bunch of those boxes despite being gaming branded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Surely the LG Gram 17 must be worth a look with those requirements?

Random google specs:

17" 16:10 WQXGA (2560 x 1600) IPS Display

12th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-1260P processor (2.1 up to 4.7 GHz)

Ultra-light weight 1350g (1.35kg))

1TB SSD storage

16GB RAM

Looks like a portable spreadsheet artists wet dream.

Aware fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 12, 2023