Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

This Brother Debate early in Abyss is so funny if your understanding of brothers is too online.

"The Emperor is brother to no one!"

That's right, the emperor can backyard wrassle with no one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

On the off chance you're reading this, I'm very sorry for stealing your copy of Space Marine when we crashed at your place in late 2002. It made great beach reading in Opononi over NYs and the surfer dude with no idea about anything nerdly who read it after me was tickled pink by 'in the grim darkness of' etc etc.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Six books in and Abnett still thinks that las-bolts are affected by wind and gravity.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

FPyat posted:

Six books in and Abnett still thinks that las-bolts are affected by wind and gravity.

Counterpoint: Las-bolts aren't real things in a made-up universe. They can be affected by whatever he wants when he's writing.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Yeah but it's fuckin dumb. I just sort of blank it out and replace it with something not-dumb when it comes up.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

To be fair quite a bit, but not all, of the lore has presented las bolts as having physical mass of some sort and not just being a beam of light. But if that's what bothers you you're reading the wrong universe I think.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I will change the universe to fit my whims, it is victim to me, not the other way around. Death to the false emperor (canon). Also the games have pretty much only showed them as beams.

Anyway here's a fun thing I like to do: who's your face casts for major characters? To me (add the prefix "very muscular" to any suggestion), Horus is Arnold Vosloo, Ferrus Manus is obviously Michael Shannon, my mind decided John Grammaticus is Bruce Campbell at some point and I can't shake the idea that the God Emperor of Mankind is John Hamm, no matter what I do.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

FPyat posted:

Light is affected by gravity though. Wind not so much.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

D-Pad posted:

To be fair quite a bit, but not all, of the lore has presented las bolts as having physical mass of some sort and not just being a beam of light. But if that's what bothers you you're reading the wrong universe I think.

I think they also travel slow enough to see and dodge

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Really enjoyed the Sanguinius book by Chris Wraight, that guy can write books really well.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Black Griffon posted:

I will change the universe to fit my whims, it is victim to me, not the other way around. Death to the false emperor (canon). Also the games have pretty much only showed them as beams.

Anyway here's a fun thing I like to do: who's your face casts for major characters? To me (add the prefix "very muscular" to any suggestion), Horus is Arnold Vosloo, Ferrus Manus is obviously Michael Shannon, my mind decided John Grammaticus is Bruce Campbell at some point and I can't shake the idea that the God Emperor of Mankind is John Hamm, no matter what I do.

Bautista for Ferris Mannus. I could see Timothee Chalamet doing a good Fulgrim opposite him.

Zahn McClarnen for the Emperor and I refuse to budge on that point

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Bautista is my Abaddon, though I can see how he could do a Ferrus too. Fulgrim is played by twitter user The_Cytherean, though he could probably do a good Sanguinius also.
https://twitter.com/The_Cytherean/status/1538962139318190080?t=o6a5YOiX7o_6OepSp-OmxQ&s=19

In general, more femme space marines is more fun.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
there any good or interesting Tau stuff. i bought the little joytoy tau figures(they are great) and reading the lore is fun, but any vaguely good novels/stories?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think the primarchs may be too dumb for even Hollywood.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

God I wanna give every ultramarine a swirlie so bad
edit: Rowboat is like finance/dark academia guys who put the dumbest and most obvious Sun Tzu quotes in their bio

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 7, 2023

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

euphronius posted:

I think the primarchs may be too dumb for even Hollywood.

honestly this. to me, 40k is best when its away from the primarchs and stuff, and i like the primarchs/heresy alot and it would make meh TV.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Guilin am in 40k as he is now is stretching my patience honestly. I hope he dies or leaves or whatever

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you need a straightman putting out deadpans if you wanna do shenanigans. cant have costello w/o an abbott

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Honestly I find the primarchs endlessly fascinating. The issue is they are very complex and it takes a great writer to properly handle them. In the right hands they are character gold, but in mediocre or bad hands complete poo poo.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

The primarchs are really fun when done right, yeah. I love how they're the worst large sons ever and it's great when they're presented as practically alien compared to baseline humans, yet woefully human. When done poorly, they're pretty boring, and I think the trick is to be intentional when writing them as fallible instead of attempting to write them as geniuses when you don't actually have the facilities as a writer to make them intelligent.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Black Griffon posted:

Bautista is my Angron

I would love to see this one day. Bautista is imo a great actor though and could pull off all kinds of stuff.

But yeah I think the HH stuff wouldn't, for the most part, adapt well.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

The primarchs are really fun when done right, yeah. I love how they're the worst large sons ever and it's great when they're presented as practically alien compared to baseline humans, yet woefully human. When done poorly, they're pretty boring, and I think the trick is to be intentional when writing them as fallible instead of attempting to write them as geniuses when you don't actually have the facilities as a writer to make them intelligent.

yeah, they work when they are basicaly treated as greek demigods/gods powerwise who dont really know how to be anything else outside that and books that explore how they come to terms with that are interesting. plus Big E picking favorites and whipping boys. i do find the chaos ones more interesting then the loyalist ones though.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

IMO the Chaos ones are more interesting in large part because how they struggle with their own identities and responsibilities creates a false impression of who they are in their subordinates who often are the catalyst for the worst of the outcomes, and this is a mirror of the Primarchs relationship with the Emperor to begin with. Many Primarchs give E way too much credit

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

His turn as Glossu Raban says to me that Dave Bautista would be an excellent Angron.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Bautista as Angron is good too. Just have him Mike Myers it as Abaddon, Ferrus and Angron.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Zahn McClarnen for the Emperor and I refuse to budge on that point

I'm sold.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
i mean if we're being lore accurate the emperor would be played by really bad cgi that only sisters of silence notice is poo poo

wildly changing size from 15 feet to as tall as a rank and file guardsman and nobody thinks this is weird

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Oh yeah and here's a (red) hot take on further major arc development: Magnus returns to the imperium as a foil to the rest of the chaos legions. Everyone's extremely angry (red and mad, you might say), especially Rowboat and the Wolves, and it's still on sight no matter what, but the benevolent Sons save entire sectors from deadly threats, revealing that they are at last returned to flesh. The concept of a legion of sorcerers fighting to maintian the Imperium is inconceivable, abhorrent and infuriating for everyone from the astartes to the inquisition to the enemies of mankind, and the obvious conclusion of both the reader of the fiction and people with forbidden knowledge in the fiction is that this is yet another layer of schemes and plans by the Changer of Ways.

But the banner of the Ouroboros is seen as a savior by millions of downtrodden servants of the imperium, especially those in the Nihilus, and they willingly give themselves as serfs and sacrifice to the necessary brutality of the sorcery that safeguards them all. After all, is that really so different from sacrificing yourself to the throne or a hopeless campaign on a forgotten death world? Everyone's mad at everyone, Rowboat is stuck in his office yelling at his scribes in incandescent rage, keeping his boring rear end out of our way, but there's is one who is more pissed off than anyone: Ahriman, the architect of the resurrection of his legion is also the architect of ten thousand years of suffering, and every favor he is owed by Magnus is expended in him not being erased from existence at the success of his myriad long quest. Cast out yet again, he gathers his own loyalists in the cults, escapes to the eye and vows to remain in eternal service to his true master, ascending to princehood now that the place beside the throne of Tzeentch is vacant.

anyway MAGNUS INNOCENT

S.J.
May 19, 2008

magnus was so loving dumb. hilariously stupid. i applaud him for being so moronic

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

S.J. posted:

I would love to see this one day. Bautista is imo a great actor though and could pull off all kinds of stuff.

But yeah I think the HH stuff wouldn't, for the most part, adapt well.

Bautista does an Eddie Murphy and plays all Primarchs. Including The Emperor.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

MariusLecter posted:

Bautista does an Eddie Murphy and plays all Primarchs. Including The Emperor.

Ship it, let's loving go

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

S.J. posted:

magnus was so loving dumb. hilariously stupid. i applaud him for being so moronic

I celebrate the himbos of warhammer. I want him to succeed because obviously he'd just be getting used again. Big red fuckin moron in the dumbest looking armor known to man.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Black Griffon posted:

I celebrate the himbos of warhammer. I want him to succeed because obviously he'd just be getting used again. Big red fuckin moron in the dumbest looking armor known to man.

can you imagine being called a cyclops and not actually being a cyclops lmao

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

S.J. posted:

Dan Crenshaw getting roasted on twitter rear end poo poo

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The first Arks of Omen book went on pre-order today and GW has been touting it as the biggest lore update since Gathering Storm. At least two more volumes will be released and it is entirely possible we get another primarch back from it. It's basically the same format as Gathering Storm trilogy was so whatever it is should be a fairly major shakeup to the current lore.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

D-Pad posted:

The first Arks of Omen book went on pre-order today and GW has been touting it as the biggest lore update since Gathering Storm. At least two more volumes will be released and it is entirely possible we get another primarch back from it. It's basically the same format as Gathering Storm trilogy was so whatever it is should be a fairly major shakeup to the current lore.

We're getting introduced to a new chaos demi-god and it sounds awesome, plus it's centered around Space Hulks which is the most 40k poo poo ever

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

D-Pad posted:

I'm hoping it's Leman Russ, because I would love having a 13th Great Company kill team.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Technically we are getting a new primarch from it, Angron, he hasn't shown back up quite yet in the fluff but his model and rules have been revealed. One of the books has his name on it.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

S.J. posted:

Technically we are getting a new primarch from it, Angron, he hasn't shown back up quite yet in the fluff but his model and rules have been revealed. One of the books has his name on it.

Yeah the recent World Eaters Loremaster episode had new Angron lore. He is out and about in the galaxy rallying World Eaters to his cause and because of the great rift if he gets killed he respawns almost immediately instead of being banished to the warp for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

S.J. posted:

The original figure of him was a cyclops, so I guess it was prescient of whoever gave him the nickname? :shrug: