Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Starting to think the Trails games are not a good idea haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they're fine. literally they are just fine games. you can just play them and decide on how you feel from playing the video games because the way people talk about them on the internet is a lot more negative and presumptuous about them than they really deserve.

unless you're the kind of person who breaks into hives if you detect something that you feel is too much of an ANIME TROPE you will probably just. enjoy the video games

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's basically Persona-style open-ended love interests, except somewhat better written.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Colonel posted:

dont worry, crossbell is about being in the police force with a harem
it's not super obnoxious at least since lloyd doesn't really seem to care much and is only confused/flustered when people bring up any kind of subject like that. it's mostly characters going "oh lloyd, you don't realize you're a heartbreaker"

outside of one balcony scene his asexuality levels in zero are off the charts. he cares only about justice and Doing the Right Thing

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Rean only shows interest in the ones you choose to hang out with at key points, but it's definitely awkward for the game to write around the fact that he may or may not be dating one of like a dozen different people.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the writing occasionally gets a bit stupid about giving every character a baseline level of attraction to the protag of a given saga but it never really focuses most of the cast's arcs around it in any of the games and occasionally they make funny jokes about it and have some homoeroticism in there so it's equal opportunity

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i would not really describe cold steel as much of a harem tbh

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
rean's one true love is jusis

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the actual awkward things about trails writing are more just. they are making the equivalent of a long running shonen manga as a jrpg series. so the pacing gets a bit wack sometimes and the scale maybe gets a bit extra silly as they get more scared of permanently offing any of the characters they like, and none of the political stuff ever really ends up being as deep or meaningful as the games sometimes try to sell it. but if you enjoy wacky shonen adventures it's never really bad at offering that

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
no it's Crow

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

i would not really describe cold steel as much of a harem tbh

Schroedinger's love interest.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the secret is if you have multiple romance options in a game that is not from the west people are just going to call it harem... it is one of the horrible truths of this world

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
trails' most awkward bits with all the romantic writing mostly just feel like they saw other jrpgs having relationship mechanics and tried to crib and experiment with some of that but they never really figured out how to make it all work right. in crossbell it's a lot more similar to something in idk, tales of symphonia, where it's there but it's not advertised that hard. in cold steel they went all in on trying to crib how persona and some other games that advertise it harder do it and it really did not work at all.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

fridge corn posted:

yeah you are not going to like it, you can play minstrel song instead

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Snooze Cruise posted:

yeah you are not going to like it, you can play minstrel song instead

Oh hell, I completely forgot about minstrel song!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

finally some good advice

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think me falling off XC3 a bit is down to me not actually progressing the story and seeing epic sword fight cutscenes so i should probably stop doing every sidequest and get on with the prison mission

The series of evens after the prison mission is the best part of XBC3 and probably any Xeno game tbh.

Levantine posted:

Sorry to interrupt the SaGa talk but I need some recommendations. I'm housebound with COVID currently and bored to tears so I'm trying to stay entertained. I feel like I've played pretty much everything ever because I'm old so I want something I can play and probably dust off before Fire Emblem Engage hits. I 100%ed Tactics Ogre, Chained Echoes and FFXII Zodiac Age (with mods) in the last few weeks. I prefer classic turn based style games (think Breath of Fire as an example) an turn based tactical but am open to anything entertaining. Maybe even one of the Chinese RPGs people talk about a lot if they are at all accessible. I think that might be the only sub genre I haven't touched. Can be PC, PS5 or Switch.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

For turn based tactical, try Symphony of War: The Nephilim Saga.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i second symphony of war, but note its something you play strictly for the systems the writing is a bore. the systems are really fun and engaging though and i want more srpg stuff like it but with good writing, so every night i be a good girl and pray

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

fridge corn posted:

It might be why I'm hearing more and more people call the devs "Failcom"...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Srice posted:

i will fight those people

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Srice posted:

Wasn't funny the first four times

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Cold Steel 1's worst bits are when the main character's sister decides to tell her best friend she's attracted to him and the best friend decides it is a good idea to egg her on and encourages her to hit on her brother repeatedly. And also feigns interest in the brother to try to spur the sister on. And this is a long running subplot we cut away to multiple times.

Or the part when the protagonist (who is oblivious to his sister crushing on him) casually turns her down for a date so she runs off crying and everyone is like 'wow what kind of monster makes their sister feel that bad? (by not being romantically interested in her)'

I did not give the rest of the series a shot

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the first two games are like that except you play as the sister and it's most of the cast pushing them together

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you know i dont think that guy is gonna play trails

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's for the best

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Step siblings is a thing these days for some reason.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The normiest of fetishes

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

infraboy posted:

Step siblings is a thing these days for some reason.

these days

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I think I'm mostly sensitive to it because I was adopted and have adoptive siblings. Seeing that relationship fetishized has always been pretty viscerally repulsive to me.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
at this point i think if the rpg thread had a bingo card incest would be on there

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
another space on the bingo card would be me telling someone to play troubleshooter abandoned children

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Motto posted:

the first two games are like that except you play as the sister and it's most of the cast pushing them together

I remember back in the day people would say they weren't siblings/if you thought they were siblings you misread the relationship, but given the rest of the series. They were definitely meant to be siblings.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

another space on the bingo card would be me telling someone to play troubleshooter abandoned children

Hell, it needs to be said

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i did an investigation into the GOTY thread and i think i am going to form a conspiracy to get troubleshooter into it this year

DNE
Nov 24, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

I did play it because of you and have been enjoying it a fair bit, I should pick it back up and finish the expansion

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

i did an investigation into the GOTY thread and i think i am going to form a conspiracy to get troubleshooter into it this year

I guess this will have to be the year I post in the thread.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Honestly step sibling romances never really bothered me but maybe it's because I watched a lot of Brady Bunch

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It's insane to think that Monolith went from doing affinity poorly in XB1 because the vastly better option to raise it was to farm B button actions in combat and giving gifts was pretty worthless, and someone turned it around so that in XB2 the best option is to just shove food/gifts into your pouch as quickly as you can and trying to raise it in combat is worthless.

I mean, whoever thought up the baseline gatcha system was a moron, because gently caress pulling 8 rare healers on Rex and not a single attacker, but this game is full of very questionable design ideas 100% independent and not connected to the combat system at all yet are integral to being able to master the game beyond regular story stuff. Tiger Tiger is just a puzzling decision, the rare blade affinity charts having tons of nodes that won't register/account for progress until unlocked is bad, and just to bring it back up the gatcha is wildly too restrictive for something based on RNG.

It's pretty telling that for those 3 main issues they were some of the first things they updated to improve. Not sure what is DLC and what was free, but the 25 legendary cores are good for maybe what, 3-5 rares? Which seems to track with the original game intention of players opening crystals until they get 2 maybe 3 rares on each character and then quit, like everyone will share their pulls on social media or something.

Fields skills however are a blight on this green earth and having to shuffle around for some skill check is dumb and bad, much less never knowing exactly what skills will trigger on collection points since they're literally all just a shovel icon.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 8, 2023

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

reading discussions on Cold Steel is so weird to me, as a person who has only played the Sky series. How does the series turn into high school harem poo poo from such a fantastic starting point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's not that different, honestly. They just go on class field trips to solve problems in other regions, bracer-style, instead of wandering on their own.