Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Glad Hite’s ok, but… two guys with guns and a getaway vehicle seems like a lot of overkill to steal one guy’s wallet and old laptop? Seems sus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
what would he stand to gain from lying about it though?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Think of how many more people you can mug when you have a car instead of having to run away each time.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Muggers don't plan out what they're going to steal; It's often a crime of desperation (which is why they're unpredictable and extra dangerous.)

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Gatto Grigio posted:

Glad Hite’s ok, but… two guys with guns and a getaway vehicle seems like a lot of overkill to steal one guy’s wallet and old laptop? Seems sus

Nah, this happens a lot here in Oakland for instance. You’ll see a string of similar robberies along freeway exits on Citizen.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I imagine they’re either roaming and looking for easy targets or they were going from point to point and it was a crime of opportunity.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

They're muggers! What do they do? They mug people!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0Kz8gQxzGE

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

An old dude walking with a laptop at 3am seems like easy pickings.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah, an older guy walking alone with a Macbook seems like an easy grab even if an older Macbook wouldn't have been worth much. I presume if he'd put the Macbook down and scrambled back they would not have shot at him.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Why would you have a MacBook with you while walking your dog?

I got my wires crossed and am dumb, nm

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Gatto Grigio posted:

This seems like a plot hook. I'll bite.. I roll to sense Motive.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
calling it now, he accidentally shot himself while loving around with his own gun.

or deliberately shot himself for research purposes.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Gonna be honest, I think the one thing this thread doesn't actually need is conspiracy theorizing over the details of someone getting shot in a mugging.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Strongly agree. Crime happens more often than whatever the hell this line of speculation is.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

thatbastardken posted:

calling it now, he accidentally shot himself while loving around with his own gun.

or deliberately shot himself for research purposes.

Weirdly appropriate username/post combo

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
It was wotc taking out da competition.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kai Tave posted:

Gonna be honest, I think the one thing this thread doesn't actually need is conspiracy theorizing over the details of someone getting shot in a mugging.

Yeah this line of conversation doesn't have a leg to stand on.

:grin:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Ken Hite when he's given the distinguished service medal for his many decades of service retooling Vampire: The Masquerade and fantasizing about what democratically-elected South American politicians he'd kill with a time machine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIWd3T1xjec

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
FWIW, I’m on TikTok, don’t explicitly follow any TTRPG creators, but I’m getting lots of videos decrying the future D&D license.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
WotC's inability / unwillingness to get ahead of this story is pretty surprising for a company of their size, but not of this particular one since they have taken up professional rake-stepping lately. It feels like they've ceded the ground to the speculators. It may be telling if we assume that they would be talking if they had something to they thought might ameliorate the situation. That would imply it's as bad as everyone says if not worse. Of course, there are various others reasons they could elect to be quiet. Maybe they thought it would go down like edition wars and not really matter. Maybe they just thought no one would care but the shitposters they could never reach anyway, like me. Maybe they properly assessed the reaction but simply didn't expect it to be this big of a story. And so on.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
The irony is that if they manage the level of abuse of process that would be necessary to get it through, nobody would be safe, OGL or not. They could basically sue anyone who ever wrote an RPG just for cash and luls.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I feel bad for that movie and the people who made it, the trailer actually looks fun.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/commen...nt=share_button

Troll Lord is discontinuing all 5e and OGL 1a support.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Covok posted:

And nothing of value was lost.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Covok posted:

Shouldn’t they wait until it’s actually released to make that decision?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MonsterEnvy posted:

If the license is released and bad, Troll Lord gets to say they were the first to react.

If it’s released and good, they can have another mini press cycle announcing that they’re back in the game after their pressure made WOTC change course.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

If the license is released and bad, Troll Lord gets to say they were the first to react.

If it’s released and good, they can have another mini press cycle announcing that they’re back in the game after their pressure made WOTC change course.

Nominative determinism

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

MonsterEnvy posted:

What is going to happen between now and the actual release? Is Wizards going to hear the people crying out in anger and realize, "Oh, OGL v1.0a is an incredibly valuable part of the D&D brand and has helped create the ecosystem that has lifted us up to complete market domination through network effects. Rather than attempt to undercut it, we should uplift it, declaring that we are releasing a new, even better OGL, where it explicitly says it cannot be revoked, de-authorized, or otherwise voided for any reason besides those in the Termination Clause"? Obviously not. So what would be the point of waiting?

This is a real version of the OGL 1.1. It was verified by an actual journalist and looked over by io9's actual lawyers before publication. Maybe it's not the final version (that's more likely now that it's faced such backlash), but even that is just a maybe.

Regardless, it establishes that Hasbro thinks they can revoke 1.0a at any time. Prior to this, it was generally accepted that 1.0a was irrevocable, and that's why people felt so comfortable publishing; now that Hasbro's put the option on the table, that comfort is gone. For a small company, it's better to get out while the getting's good and just not risk the troubles.

There are other benefits too:

1. Doing a fire sale now means they get ahead of the rush and get free marketing as one of the first companies to pull product; I guarantee other companies will start doing fire sales on their 5e product if 1.1 does come out as described here. Beating the rush means they can sell more, faster, for better prices than if they do it while every other small publisher is also selling their stuff off in a last-ditch attempt to avoid bankruptcy.

2. It lets you actually do something proactively. The alternative to getting out now is just sitting with a thumb up your rear end. You would be the biggest moron on the planet to continue development with no changes with this poo poo hanging over your head. (At best, you might be able to refocus efforts on system-agnostic elements, like research or fluff, but depending on the specifics of your pipeline/product that may not be possible.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Fair enough, I am just more of a wait and see guy.

I personally expect some changes as 1.1 was apparently originally planned to drop on the 5th but did not. Apparently we will find out on the 13th what exactly it will be.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Megazver posted:

The link should send you to the relevant post. But if it doesn't, it's #385 in the thread.

Here's a working link (I think)

https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/the-ogl-1-1-is-not-an-open-license.905678/page-39#post-24646041

As I understand it, the Exec Producer Brink, replaced Ray WInniger, who if I'm not mistaken, replaced our good friend Mike Mearls. So, who's the first actual game designer we hit in the org chart? Jeremy Crawford (lead rules designer) and Chris Perkins (lead story designer), I guess.

whydirt posted:

FWIW, I’m on TikTok, don’t explicitly follow any TTRPG creators, but I’m getting lots of videos decrying the future D&D license.

I've been getting the same thing on Youtube, as I subscribe to some RPG product review channels that have gone all in on the anti-OGL 1.1 and anti-odnd rhetoric. So now the youtube algo is feeding me just one after another. I've watched like 10 different videos about how everyone should quit WotC and D&D forever.

I'm far from 100% convinced this is armageddon for D&D, but it sure feels like it, judging by what social media is showing me. I just have no way of knowing how reliable that is amongst TTRPG folk, in general. This is textbook anecdotal evidence.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Finster Dexter posted:

Here's a working link (I think)

https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?threads/the-ogl-1-1-is-not-an-open-license.905678/page-39#post-24646041

As I understand it, the Exec Producer Brink, replaced Ray WInniger, who if I'm not mistaken, replaced our good friend Mike Mearls. So, who's the first actual game designer we hit in the org chart? Jeremy Crawford (lead rules designer) and Chris Perkins (lead story designer), I guess.

I've been getting the same thing on Youtube, as I subscribe to some RPG product review channels that have gone all in on the anti-OGL 1.1 and anti-odnd rhetoric. So now the youtube algo is feeding me just one after another. I've watched like 10 different videos about how everyone should quit WotC and D&D forever.

I'm far from 100% convinced this is armageddon for D&D, but it sure feels like it, judging by what social media is showing me. I just have no way of knowing how reliable that is amongst TTRPG folk, in general. This is textbook anecdotal evidence.

I'm seeing a lot of posts on FB about it, but eh stil feels like chicken little to me. I'd never bet against executive idiocy though, so we'll see.

Also I feel like the player boycott will be as longlasting as any "Don't buy from blizz!" one, that is, it'll last until the ads and teasers for the next toy drop. It'll take some serious bungling to actually drive players off.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Coolness Averted posted:

I'm seeing a lot of posts on FB about it, but eh stil feels like chicken little to me. I'd never bet against executive idiocy though, so we'll see.

Also I feel like the player boycott will be as longlasting as any "Don't buy from blizz!" one, that is, it'll last until the ads and teasers for the next toy drop. It'll take some serious bungling to actually drive players off.

Exactly. I suspect no one else in either of my current playgroups has heard or cares about any of this.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Looking forward to the eventual legal battle between Hasbro and Disney due to the use of OGL 1.0 in Knights of the Old Republic

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

My understanding is that they didn't use the OGL for KotOR, it was a different license.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

senrath posted:

My understanding is that they didn't use the OGL for KotOR, it was a different license.

I'm pretty certain that none of the WotC Star Wars systems used the OGL, probably to avoid exactly this sort of conflict with (at the time) LucasFilm.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

iirc the video game uses a whole bunch of Modern d20 stuff.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

iirc the video game uses a whole bunch of Modern d20 stuff.

Nah, it's all Star Wars d20 stuff, which as far as I'm aware is not OGL.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

senrath posted:

Nah, it's all Star Wars d20 stuff, which as far as I'm aware is not OGL.

ah, I see. Well that's a shame.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Finster Dexter posted:

The youtube algo seems to have decided that D&D is now equal to "bad news about OGL1.1 videos", I've only ever watched a single one and been swarmed with this garbage. I don't want to watch any of these jokers complain, I want GMing advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Jaysus there's some people on Twitter who are really fuckin' dumb.

https://twitter.com/AlJAug/status/1611506338827493376

This person seems to think that Hasbro is going to claim ownership of the concept of the tabletop RPG and any and all games ever published.